Chapter 3

Unspoken

I sat on the window sill that night. My feet were dangling outside my window and I glanced up to see the stars. The earphone was on my right ear as slow songs played on the mp3 player. The soft early autumn breeze touched my face and I closed my eyes.

Dae Hyun’s room was vacant in front of me. He was probably downstairs eating dinner with his family or watching TV.

No. I was not here waiting for Dae Hyun to arrive to see what he was doing. Don’t think of me as a stalker. I just merely liked the feel of the wind and watching the stars. Okay, I probably wanted Dae Hyun to notice me sitting here and come to ask what I was doing dangling here like a crazy ghost, but he knew I loved doing this, so he wouldn’t be asking. He would probably just stared at me with that stiff, cold, weird look then went to bed.

That crazy neighbor of mine would turn me crazy as well.

God, Jung Dae Hyun. This would be a lot easier if I hate you. Do I hate you? Not a slightest. Darn it.

I closed my eyes feeling the breeze of cold autumn wind while humming notes following the song that played softly in my ear.

I bit the cherry candy that Jong Up gave me earlier after he found me throwing up our dinner again. The candy was to get rid of the foul taste in my mouth. He was thoughtful that boy. But I warned that thoughtful mouth of his not to tell our parents what just happened. Though he gritted his teeth in annoyance since he hated lying, he nodded. I mean, I didn’t tell him to lie. I told him to shut his mouth, to not say anything. That was different.

I might be looked like a protective Noona, but in reality Jong Up was way more overprotective on me.

I heard rustle from my left ear and I opened my eyes to found Dae Hyun was there, closing his door behind him. He turned around and saw me. He looked a bit surprise to found me there.

Uh, this was awkward.

I decided to give him a sweet smile. I wanted to be his friend again. Please Dae Hyun, just smile back, once.

He looked away then proceeded to his bed, which was hidden behind the wall where I couldn’t see him. So much for a smile.

I leaned to the side of the window and started singing the song on my ear.

“When you’re down, and troubled

And you need a helping hand

And nothing oh nothing is going right

Close your eyes and think of me

And soon I will be there

To brighten up even your darkest night

 

You just call out my name

And you know wherever I am

I’ll come running to see you again

Winter, spring , summer or fall

All you got to do is call

And I’ll be there

You’ve got a friend…,”

 I opened my eyes. Nothing, no Dae Hyun peering nor humming back the song. It’s sad. I was sad. I might start to cry but instead I sang again.

“Hey ain’t it good to know that you’ve got a friend

People can be so cold

They’ll hurt you and desert you

And take your soul if you let them….”

You’re cold, Jung Dae Hyun.

“But don’t you let them…,”

I still waited for Dae Hyun to show up or turned off his lamp. But nothing. I hummed again, but then I was writhing.

There was a shot of pain in my stomach. I gripped tighter to my window sill and tried to pull myself back into my room.

“Oh God…,” I breathed heavily.

Dae Hyun appeared on his window as I clutched to my stomach even harder. The pain shot again and I bit my lip harder, tried not to make any noise. I gripped the window sill tighter.

“Jeong Ae-yah…,” Dae Hyun called out my name. First time in two years.

Despite the intense pain I felt in my stomach, hearing Dae Hyun called out to me made me happy.

“Jeong Ae-yah…, are you okay?” His voice sounded worried.

I opened up my eyes, and he was there clutching to his own window, as if he would ready to jump out of it. I didn’t want him to jump. He might get hurt.

“I’m fine,” I breathed. I tried to pull myself out of the window again, this time before I could moved my feet into my room I fell down, back first into my floor.

“Moon Jeong Ae!!!”

My forehead and my palms were sweaty with cold sweat but the pain in my stomach subdued. I raised up my hand through the window and made an okay sign while I laid on the floor panting. If only it was not painful, I might laugh. Falling from your window back first was supposed to be funny, but it was not.

“Noona?” Jong Up showed up in my room’s door. He saw me lying on the floor and hurriedly went to my side. “Noona! Noona… what’s wrong? Noona, answer me,” Jong Up cradled me and I leaned on his broad shoulder.

“Jong Up! Is she okay?” I heard Dae Hyun’s voice again through the window.

Jong Up opened up his mouth but I clutched his shirt and pulled him to me. “Tell him I’m fine, Jong Up-ie. Tell him I’m great.”

Jong Up hesitated for a second, he hugged me tighter and shouted to Dae Hyun. “She’s fine, Hyung.”

“Are you sure?” Dae Hyun asked back.

“Noona, we need to see doctor, you’re cold and you’re pale, I don’t like this,” Jong Up whispered as he felt my forehead.

I shook my head. I hate worrying anyone, especially Jong Up, my parents, and that one boy who kept shouting to ensure I’m alright.

“Moon Jong Up, are you sure?” He shouted again.

“Yes, Dae Hyun Hyung, I am sure!” he shouted back. “She just need to rest,” he lifted me up and brought me to my bed. I could see Dae Hyun when Jong Up lifted me up, I gave him a thumb up and a smile so he wouldn’t be so worried.

“Jong Up! You told me she’s fine! Why are you carrying her?!” Now Dae Hyun sounded frustrated.

Jong Up went to the window. “She’s fine! Now if you’ll excuse me!” Jong Up closed the window and pulled the curtain, shutting Dae Hyun’s voice away.