Chapter 10

Unspoken

“Noonaaaaa! You look awfully happy today!” Jun Hong greeted me the next morning as I walked out the door with Jong Up behind me. Jong Up went to find his bicycle and I went to Jun Hong.

“Is it obvious?” I asked back. I talked with Dae Hyun until it was quite late last night. Jong Up was protesting about how he couldn’t sleep because our voices reached his room and that’s when we say good night to each other and went to sleep.

“What? Don’t tell me you’re falling in love? What am I going to do then?” Jun Hong eyes widened and he went to me and put his hands on my shoulder. “Noona! You promised that you will be my girlfriend when I’m old enough! You’re breaking your promise!” He pretended to be angry, but I could see that smile on the edge of his lips.

“Our Jun Hong…. Did this Noona break your heart?” I tapped his shoulder.

“Noonaaa!” He hugged me with that tall body of his and laid his head on my shoulder. “I won’t let you go.”

Smack! There was a sound when Dae Hyun hit Jun Hong’s head from the back. “Eyy, this kid!” He grabbed Jun Hong’s jacket hoodie from the back and pulled him away from me. “Mind your manner.”

“Ah, Hyung! That’s hurt!” the younger boy protested while fixing his jacket.

Jong Up showed up with his bicycle and looked at everyone confusedly. “What’s happening?”

“I have no idea,” I tried holding my laughter.

Jong Up rolled his eyes. “Then I’ll go to school. I’ll see you later,” he waved to me then began paddling away.

“Dae Hyunnie Hyung! I’ll take Jeong Ae Noona back! Just wait and see,” He made a gun with his hand and pretended to shoot Dae Hyun.

“Let’s see if you can,” Dae Hyun snorted and shot back with his hands.

Jun Hong laughed then went on his skateboard chasing Jong Up to school.

Dae Hyun chuckled and I laughed along. He looked at me, “Are you ready?”

I nodded and we started walking to school. He didn’t reach out for my hand though I just let it dangling on my side. Our arms would brush each other’s and I wanted to hold his hand so bad but I held myself. It was awkward.

“Uhm… so… uh… Do you want to go somewhere after school?” He asked after the silent.

I thought for a moment but then I realized I had to go to the hospital to do some kind of test after school. “I can’t. I have to go somewhere.”

“Where?” Dae Hyun asked curiously.

“Just somewhere,” I tried to brush it off.

“Can I go with you?” He asked again.

I looked down and shook my head. “No. I have to go alone.”

“Okay,” he sounded a little disappointed but he nodded. “Can we eat lunch together then?”

“Wouldn’t Young Jae mind?”

“Why would Young Jae mind?” he asked incredulously.

“I don’t know, I mean you guys are really close and if I suddenly sit with you guys at lunch….”

“Jeong Ae-yah… Young Jae is my friend. Not my lover. Why would he mind you sitting with us? That doesn’t make sense,” he rolled his eyes.

“But….”

“No but! You’re eating lunch with me and Young Jae. Or we can kick Yoo Young Jae from the table, I don’t mind.” He shrugged. I laughed and he smiled.

He looked at his wristwatch and reached for my hand. “Come on, we’re going to be late,” then he pulled me and we started to run.

I looked at my own watch. We still had 20 minutes before the bell ring and we will reach the school fine in 10 minutes by walk. “Dae Hyun we won’t be late, I think your watch is wrong,” I said.

He stopped and looked at his watch again. “Oh, right… we still have time, haha…,” he laughed awkwardly. This boy was so random.

He held tighter to my hand and we continued to walk again. Was it just me? Or he was just finding an excuse to hold my hand again? I hid a smile. Whatever the reason was, I was glad he did it.

***

“Jeong Ae-ssi, are you going to keep sitting with us for lunch from now on?” Young Jae asked with sparkly eyes at lunch. The table was full of the boys and I didn’t know why I agreed sitting here on the first place.

“Am I not allowed? I can move… really…,” I picked my tray to go to Hyo Na’s or Soo Joo’s table when Dae Hyun held my hand.

“What are you talking about, Yoo Young Jae. You’re making her uncomfortable,” Dae Hyun said as he put down my tray back on the table and pulled me sit next to him again.

“No! I didn’t mean it that way. I was just saying I’m happy that she sits here,” Young Jae waved his hand. “I’m sorry.” Jong Suk and Woo Bin who sat on the other side of the table chuckled.

“No… I’m sorry. I just not used to sit with so many boys before,” I smiled awkwardly. I must looked really anti-social.

“I’m here. Don’t worry,” Dae Hyun said in a low voice that the other guys couldn’t hear it. I smiled at the words. “Eat…,” he said while moving a kimbab from his tray to mine. I wouldn’t be able to eat it, but since Dae Hyun gave it to me I took it and eat it slowly. Hoping it would just stay inside my stomach.

“Are you guys finally dating?” Young Jae asked after he ate half of his food. Dae Hyun spurted his drink that he was drinking and I almost got choked by the kimbab. “No? But Dae Hyun, didn’t you say….”

Dae Hyun leaped from his seat and covered Young Jae’s mouth with his hand. “Shut up, Yoo Young Jae. Or I will cut you to pieces,” he whispered.

Right then, the pain in my stomach came back and the food I just ate threatened to come out.

“But didn’t you say that you…,” Young Jae asked again with mischievous glance, trying to get Dae Hyun’s hand out of his face.

“Didn’t I tell you to shut up?” Dae Hyun glared harder. Young Jae laughed as he tried to push Dae Hyun away.

“I have to go,” I stood up and left the two boys dumbfounded by my sudden leave. I fled to the farthest restroom, went to one of the stall and started throwing up. The pain shot harder this time and I collapsed on the floor, writhing silently. I waited while gripping my stomach tighter.

Almost five minutes later the pain subdued. I leaned on the wall and tried to catch my breath. I really need to see the doctor again. I couldn’t keep running away and hide every time the pain came. People might notice.

I have to be strong for myself.