chapter 3

Becoming an idol

“Yeah whatever, so what is it?” I asked, not really in the mood to act friendly. I’m kind of sick of the way the world works. Only helping others when you can get something in return.

She looks down and start to act shy. I can see that it’s an act, I’m not stupid. Although I have to admit that she is pretty good. She can probably fool a lot of people.

“Don’t try to act shy or cute or anything, it won’t work on me.”

She looks up at me an her expression changes completely.

“Tssjj I hoped it would work. Never mind then.” She says putting herself straight in her chair.

“Okay let’s get straight to the point then. There is going to be a competition. Not just any competition, but this one will be aired on tv. The winners will become the members of a new idol group.”

“So what does this has to do with me?” I’m really not interested in becoming famous. I don’t need all that crap.

“Will you let me finish.” She sounds annoyed, I told you she wasn’t shy.

“So as I was saying, this competition will be aired on tv and the winners will become idols. Two of the members in this studio wanted to enter. Unfortunately one off these members has been a bit clumsy and fell off the stairs. He kind of broke his leg so he can’t enter the competition anymore. But the other guy can’t do it alone. He needs another rapper. This is where you come in. We need you to help him out.”

“And why would I do that? I can’t dance and if you want to be an idol you have to dance. And besides I’m not really interested in becoming famous you know.”

“Well we can learn you how to dance. So that’s not a good excuse. But I don’t think that’s what you mean. You just want to know what’s in it for you don’t you?”

“yep”

“Well when you get trough the first audition you will be split into groups. You will live with this group in a dorm, where you can live and eat for free. You will learn to dance, sing, rap,… from professionals there will even be some famous people helping. Besides you’re a little tight on money right? So this will help.”

“That’s true, but how did you know that? Did you follow me around or something?”

“Well I’m a detective. But that’s not all I know. One of my good sources told me he would be there.”

“You? A detective? How old are you? You’re just a kid. Besides why would I care that one of your good sources will be there.”

This girl is just weird. Where did I get myself into. It would’ve been better to just get beat up by those losers.

“I’m only a year younger then you, so don’t call me a kid. And I don’t mean that my source will be there. I mean that there will be a somebody you know, a person you’re really close with.”

“I don’t have any friends so don’t try to fool me.”

“Really not even a Chinese boy. I think his name ends with ‘an’”

My eyes turn big, how does she know about him? Wait he will be there? I can meet him again?? After all those years?

What should I do. Is it safe to see him? Aaagh I don’t know.

‘I will give you some time to think this trough. But not long, we don’t have the time. Why don’t you drink something, hang around here for a bit so you can see what’s going on here and I will get back to you in an hour.”

She stands up and walks away leaving me alone with my thoughts. Crap I didn’t count on this.

I really want to see him again. It’s been such a long time.

But what will he say?

Will he get in trouble??

Will he still remember me?

He got pretty famous since the last time I saw him. I read about him in the magazines I buy.

But he had to throw me away to protect me. Will he accept me again?

And what will they do if they find out that we meet again?

How will they react?

Will he get in trouble?

Waaah I don’t know it anymore. Screw this.

I will do it, but not because I can see him again.

No not because off that.

I will do it so I can live for free.

Besides I might not even meet him. Maybe we don’t pass the first round.

I can’t dance and I don’t even know if the other guy is any good. Maybe he completely .

 

“So did you decide already?” Ayla’s voice rips me out of my thoughts.

I look at the clock on the wall and see that the hour she gave me already passed.

“Okay, who is this guy and what do I need to do?”

“Really??? Yes Yes Yes Yes” she says with a big smile on her face while she bounces up and down.

“Eeuuhhmm I mean of course I knew you would do it, follow me.” Her face turning serious at once.

I stand up and follow her to one of the dance room.

In the room there is one guy dancing on a song, he looks pretty serious and focused.

In the corner off the room another guy is standing on crutches.

“Hey U-kwon and Kyung how is it going?” She asks the moment she enters the room.

“Fine, but U-kwon really can’t do this alone, I’ve tried to teach him the rap but he completely at it.” The guy on crutches says. So he must be Kyung.

“That’s not true.” The other starts to pout.

“Well don’t worry about that anymore. I’ve found you a rapper.”

“Really!!” They yell happy.

“Yep, this here is Tao.” She says while she pushes me into the room.

“Hey Tao, I’m U-kwon. Do you know how to dance?”

“No, not at all.”

“Oooh” he sounds a bit sad. “Well don’t worry we have a week before the contest if we train every day, you will be able to do the dance. It’s not that hard.” He grabs my hand and drags me into the room.

Oooh crap where did I get myself into?