Chapter 5

I Can't Even Die Because You Might Come Back

At the hospital..

Doctor: We manage to save your wife but we fail to rescue your son. We’re really sorry.

Kai loses strength on his legs and starts shaking up. He sits on the chair and covers his face, trying to hide his tears.

She wakes up in a hospital bed, hooked up to an IV. She staggers to her feet, bleary-eyed and dizzy. She makes her way into the hallway. In her fuzzy vision, she sees Kai is running toward her.

Yoona: What happens? Why are you crying? Our child is still fine, right? (Yoona looks at her tummy.)

Kai: Please calm down Yoona (Kai is still overflowing with tears.)

Yoona: Our child.. it can’t be.. (Yoona is able to guess Kai’s expression.)

Kai: I’m really sorry.. our child has passed away. (Kai looks at Yoona with teary eyes.)

Yoona: Our child? After you killed him, you could still call him your child?!! What father are you?!!

Kai: Yoona.. (He tries to embrace Yoona in his hug.)

Yoona: Don’t touch me!! I hate you!! (Yoona escapes Kai’s embrace)

A few days later, Kai has been summoned by the prosecutor for drunk driving. While Yoona is still receiving treatment in the hospital, Kai is spending time receiving his punishment.


Two months later,

Luhan makes a hot debut with his group, Exo-M. He is known for his baby-face and great singing skill. It has only been one month after Exo-M debut, but they are receiving so many love after their song lands first place trophies on music shows from all three of Korea's major broadcast stations. Luhan transfers to Seoul to be close with his agency. Since then, he also starts enrolling in Korea University.

At Korea University,

Seohyun is listening attentively to the lecturer until someone with familiar face enters the hall.

Seohyun: Luhan? What is he doing here? (Seohyun speaks through her eyes)

Seohyun who is flustered, quickly grabs a book to hide her face. Luckily, Luhan passes by her without noticing her.


After the lecture ends, Seohyun is the first one to get out from the hall. Suddenly, Luhan also gets up from his seat and saw Seohyun’s back. He seems familiar with Seohyun’s structure and chases after her.

Seohyun accidentally encounters with Baekhyun who just comes out from the restroom. Baekhyun hears someone calling for Seohyun’s name and notices the fear in her eyes. He grabs Seohyun’s hand and they run away together. Baekhyun hides Seohyun in the gym until Luhan gives up on finding her.

Seohyun: Is it okay now?

Baekhyun: I think so. But why are you running away from him?

Seohyun: For now, just think that I have stalkers around me.

Baekhyun: Do you want me to pick you up after college?

Seohyun: I will be thankful for that (Seohyun avoids eye contact with Baekhyun.)

Baekhyun: Yes! (Baekhyun is just happy by the thought of he could walk home together with Seohyun.)

Seohyun: But it’s not a date. (Seohyun reprimands him.)


One hour later,

Seohyun goes to practice for her musical and she notices that other group has gotten the stage before her. As she is about to leave, she hears a familiar voice singing her favorite song.

I love you. I’m sorry. But i can’t do this anymore
I don’t even have the right to get close to you. Don’t love me
I don’t have the ease of being able to give you my heart
I live every day beyond my strength. Each day is too much so i cry

Oh, I.. I don’t have anything i can give you But i’m missing you
I can’t even give you loving words But i’m missing you
I can’t even boldly wish for you to be mine But i’m missing you
So i push you away. Because i’m a guy who has nothing but his own heart

I’m holding back, even though it hurts. Even tears are a luxury for me
I don’t even have the right to look at you. Don’t look at me

I know that my heart is wherever you are
Close enough our breaths can touch. Always in that same place

Oh, I… I don’t have anything i can give you But i’m missing you
I can’t even give you loving words But i’m missing you
I can’t even boldly wish for you to be mine But i’m missing you
So i push you away

Seohyun is touched by the song and sheds tears. Soon, the guy with the familiar voice sings the song while walking towards her. Seohyun realizes that she can’t avoid him forever and stands still without moving a finger.

Seohyun: I miss you, Luhan.

Luhan continues to sing while looking straight into Seohyun’s eyes.

More than anyone else in this world. I love you, so i hold back

Oh i… i can’t hold your hand But i’m missing you
I’m worried i might just have my tears to hold. So i’m missing you
I can’t tell you to stay with me. But i’m missing you
So it’s too much, but in the end
It’s because i’m a man who has nothing but his own heart


Meanwhile, Baekhyun is texting back and forth with Seohyun in the middle of lecture and Taeyeon rats him out to the lecturer. Adding embarrassment to insult, the lecturer accuses him of using class time on his love life.

That night, the rain falls heavily. Seohyun is ready to go home. She waits outside for Baekhyun, but he doesn’t answer his phone, so she figures she will just have to go home alone. Luhan runs out and decides to put away the umbrella he brought after seeing Seohyun. He asks if he can share her umbrella together. He offers to drop her off at home before borrowing the umbrella for himself, which she happily accepts.

Seohyun: I’m sorry.. for lying to you, for deceiving my family. I’m not a good wife nor a good daughter. (Seohyun looks down.)

Luhan: You don’t have to explain anything. It’s not your fault.. this is all Kai’s fault.

Seohyun: Did he contact you?

Luhan: He did. Two months ago


Two months ago..

The police contacts Luhan to ask for compensation money. Luhan flies to US to visit his step brother . He lies to his mother that he is meeting his friend. Luhan and Kai meeting for the very first time after one year and a half.

Kai: Please don’t tell anyone about my situation.

Luhan: Why? Are you afraid that your future will be ruined? At least your crime is not as worse as what you have done to Seohyun.

Kai: You don’t have to belittle me. I already regret it.

Luhan: Regret is not enough! You have to apologize to her, to her family and to your girlfriend. You marry her when she is still young and naïve. You left her alone when she is still your wife.

Kai: Right now, if I could ride a time machine and go to meet her. I wouldn’t wish for anything else.


That is how Luhan learns about Seohyun’s situation and he wants to meet her as soon as possible to apologize to her on behalf of his brother.

Luhan: Kai is regretting his mistake. He is trying to start from square one. So, please forgive him.

Seohyun: I’m sorry, but I can’t. Even if I die, I couldn’t forgive him that easily (Seohyun pushes away Luhan’s request)

Luhan: I’m not asking you to accept him. I just want you to forgive him just like I did. No matter what he has done, he is still my brother. Doing bad things doesn’t mean you are completely bad. He is just an immature kid who likes to rebel when things doesn't go his way.

Seohyun: Please don’t talk about him anymore. I beg you. I need time to forgive him. (Seohyun looks into Luhan’s eyes with her teary eyes.)


Baekhyun arrives just outside Seohyun’s building, when Taeyeon calls to ask if he really likes Seohyun to death.

Taeyeon: Do you… still like her?

Baekhyun: At first I feel comfortable working with her on the musical. But I think I’m slowly fall for her charms.

Taeyeon: I know it might sound weird but..

Baekhyun: Are you asking me to beat the person who bullies you again? Who is it this time?

Taeyeon: Seohyun.

Baekhyun: What the hell are you talking about.

Tayeon: I’m just joking. I called to say that I like you.”

Baekhyun: Is this the way you are repaying your debt to me? With just small confession and nothing fancy? Don’t make me laugh! Haha.

Taeyeon: I mean it. I really like you since in middle school. (Taeyeon means it sincerely though and starts to confess,)

Baekhyun: This joke is not funny! Haha! (Baekhyun laughs and not taking it very seriously.)


Suddenly, right at that moment.. Baekhyun looks up at Seohyun’s rooftop and sees her with Luhan. His umbrella drops to the ground with a thud and his phone just hangs at his side as he looks up at them. It is a great moment of realization that’s underscored by Taeyeon’s confession to him, which he doesn’t even hear.

Taeyeon: I really like you a lot. I realized it today. I know you don’t like me back. It’s okay if I just like you on my own. But… you seeing someone else, thinking about someone else, liking someone else… it’s strange… that’s not okay. Just thinking about that makes my heart lurch. It hurts, like it’s sinking. I think I might like you a lot.

As Taeyeon talks about her heart, Baekhyun clutches his own while looking up at Seohyun.