05

Before the Moon Completes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I alighted from the train and scrolled through my Facebook page. Nam Woohyun popped up when I tapped my search bar. I had found his Facebook; it wasn’t exactly hard.  His name was unique enough to not be hidden in the Facebook community. It usually took me 5 minutes to get home from the subway but this time, I took 20 minutes to do so. I spent the time walking around the neighbourhood, passing by the convenience store, walking rounds in the park and even going to the deserted playground.

To be frank, I think I am dumb. Doing pointless things and wishing things in movies happen, I was really naive. I know the possibility was low, but still I harbor that glimpse of hope that maybe, I’d meet him again in this way. Then again, if I do meet him by coincidence or rather, my deliberate attempt, I wonder how I would react. Would it just be a smile or wave and then, we would part ways again? I guess so. That’s pretty much pointless but still, I find myself walking a while more.

Five more minutes, I told myself.

I returned home, feeling a little crestfallen as I removed my shoes. I shouldn’t have even harboured that slight hope of meeting him in such a stupid way. Because there came the disappointment as I lay in bed. I fished my phone out and stared at his Facebook page for a long time. I dropped my phone at the space beside me and shut my eyes.

“Let me do it, hyung.”

 

“19. You can call me oppa, if you wish.”

 

“I choose to stay.”

 

“You can join me in squash.”

 

“Welcome to Choco Paradise!”

 

I rolled over, allowing my face to bury in my pillow. I need to stop thinking. I didn’t know what I was doing to myself anymore. That was the reason why I always try to keep my distance from the opposite gender. But a person like him, it was hard. Unknowingly, he had crept closer to the line I had drawn and without my realization, he was past it. I guess I shouldn’t have allowed him to come too close to comfort because now, I was the only one trapped in this circle, missing his presence when he steps out.

After a good long time, I finally tapped the ‘add friend’ button on Facebook. I guess a part within me really didn’t want all of this to come to an end.  After which, I spent the rest of the day listening to my favourite idol’s songs and staring at my phone screen like a love-struck idiot. Then, my phone vibrated.

 

Park Haeri is now friends with Nam Woohyun.

-

“He added me! Oh my gosh. No! I mean he accepted me! Ah!!! I mean, he accepted my friend request!” I yelled excitedly into the phone receiver.

“Relax girl! Hey! Don’t forget to breathe!” Sanghee tried to calm me down.

I had told her about my crush on Woohyun that night when we were talking over a midnight phone call.

“Oh my gosh. I seriously didn’t expect he would accept within a day.” I mumbled as a smile played on my lips.

“Good for you. At least your crush is single so you stand a chance.” She says.

“Have the two of you stop talking?” I put Woohyun aside and started talking about Sanghee’s crush.

“His Facebook news feed is practically filled with his date pictures with his girlfriend, I cry.” She pretend

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter