01

Before the Moon Completes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I am an eighteen years old girl and I wish to confess that I have never seen the explosion of fireworks in the air during kisses. And I have never had a chance to hug and silently listen to a racing, irregular heart. Also, I don’t fall asleep, listening to another person’s breathing or singing. Frankly speaking, I think those butterflies hibernating in my stomach are probably dying out of inactivity. In all honesty, I am a boring girl who is still yearning for first love. And that’s probably the reason why I fell for him so easily.

The first time I met him was at a part-time job. He was allocated to the store I was working in and I tried to talk to the supervisor. I didn’t want a guy as my co-worker. The reason was simple: I am awkward in nature, especially with people in the opposite gender. I didn’t dare look him in the eye but I watch his back view disappear from my branch. He was reallocated to another branch down the streets after my endless plea.

A few days later, he was back. The supervisor said the other store has enough people. He was in a bad mood and I knew better than to speak up against him. Although I may be slow at times, I know when to say something and when not to. Can that consider as strength? I don’t really know. Back to the new guy, he looked like a complete greenhorn. Standing at the back, he resembled a lost sheep.

I would have said those thoughts out loud if we were close enough, but I didn’t. Obviously, we were far from being called close and he’d think I’m nasty. He probably thinks I am nasty already though. After all, I swatted him away like a fly the previous time we met. From the corner of my eyes, I realize he is significantly taller than me. And he had the looks which could be scouted by the star search team. If he was scouted successfully, I’d proudly tell the newspaper he works for our store. That would be free advertisement and the boss would be happy. He would probably raise my pay, give me more incenti-

 

“I’m sorry, but what can I help out with?”

 

The new voice, belonging to the handsome boy, broke my train of thoughts.

 

“A-Ah. That. You can help by cleaning up the back of the store, perhaps?” I tried hard not to stutter.

 

He nodded without smiling before proceeding to the back of the store. I wondered if I should have assigned him an easier task to begin with. I silently hope he wouldn’t break those apparatus at the back because I would be in deep trouble, if he does. I was about to check out on him when a customer walked through the entrance.

“Good afternoon, welcome to Choco Paradise!”

The lady smiled and she was fast in deciding what she wanted to get. She was nicely dressed in a short dress. Her legs looked endless, and I wish I had those legs of hers. I stopped eyeing at her legs and focused my attention back on wrapping the box of chocolate she has picked up for her boyfriend. She thanked me before leaving and I wonder whether I would receive chocolates from an opposite gender someday. Not the kind from the supervisor when the chocolates are close to expiry though. Gosh, did I just associate chocolate with such an unromantic situation?

“I am done. Do you need help?”

I looked back at the new boy whom I have momentarily forgotten about his existence. It didn’t take long for me to register that he was standing a little too close to my liking. I fought back the urge to step back. I attempted a smile and was about to shake my head when another person entered the store.

“Good afternoon, welcome to Choco Paradise!” I chirped, bowing down instinctively.

I could sense him doing the same and somehow

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter