10

Before the Moon Completes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Summer break was over. Meeting Woohyun was like a dream because it was beautiful but yet short-lived. Woohyun and I had stopped talking for weeks ever since our job ended. School begun and I wished it would be a new start. Looking out of the window with my earpiece on, I watched the trees and cars flash by. I thought it was amusing how life would soon, pass by in a flash like that too. I admit that I would still scan the crowd at the subway station when I’m on my way home. I would still silently hope to receive a message from Woohyun when I see him online on Facebook. I would still harbour a small hope that maybe, we were not destined to simply be two parallel lines in life from here onwards. 

“The weather is good today.” I mumbled to myself, parting my fingers slightly to let the sunrays through.

I was early for lessons, as usual. I glanced down at the bus stop beneath the overhead bridge I was on. People watching is always fun. Then, I spotted someone.

“It can’t be…” I stared harder.

"...W-Woohyun?" I confirmed my guess. 

For a moment, I almost forgot we attend the same school. He was with two other friends, laughing away merrily. Then, one of his friends seemed to have noticed me as I was suspiciously spying them from above. He pointed at me and I saw Woohyun look in my direction. I contemplated whether to wave or simply walk away in embarrassment. Closing my eyes, I turned around and hurried along. “Damn.” I cursed. Then, I felt my heart overreacting again. I told myself meeting Woohyun like this on the first day of school didn’t mean anything. It was sheer coincidence, I told myself. 

"Yah!" I heard my best friend call me. 

“iwassoembarrassedisawwoohyunandistaredandhesawmekillmenow” I said it in one breath with my hands in my hair. I wanted to pull all my hair out.

“What are you saying?” Sanghee grabbed me by the shoulders to calm me down.

“N-Never mind.” I inhaled and exhaled exaggeratedly, waving my hands around. 

“I am so embarrassing, Sanghee-ah!” I covered my face and she laughed.

“You’re always embarrassing.” She shrugged.

“YAH!” I yelled at her and she seemed even more amused now.

-

The first day of school was so boring. The summer break almost made me forgot how boring school was. I checked the time on my phone. It has been 20 minutes but the bus was still not here yet. I yawned for the umpteenth time today, absentmindedly covering my mouth halfway through the yawn.

“Yah.” Jiyeon called out to us.

“Wae?” I asked.

“Is that Woohyun?” she asked, craning her neck to get a better view behind me.

I felt my body tense up at his name. My back was facing Woohyun and I refused to turn although every single living cell in me was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter