02

Before the Moon Completes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I watch Woohyun play with his Samsung Galaxy and I wonder who he was texting on the other end. I was eyeing his actions, waiting for him to realize. He finally looked up and shot me that usual, cheeky smile of his. I raised my eyebrows and lifted myself off the table, afraid my boss would walk in anytime. I stole another glance at his phone which he kept in his back pocket.  

“Who were you texting?” I asked casually.

“What makes you so sure that I am texting?” he replied.  

“Girlfriend?” I questioned.

To be honest, I don’t know why I had asked him the question so directly. I guess a part of me really wanted to know the answer. I expected a nod or a definite ‘Yes’. After all, Woohyun does look like someone who has a stead and he probably has been into countless relationships before her.  

“Nah. I don’t have a girlfriend.” He clarified.

“Liar.” I rebutted so quickly.

“I was just randomly browsing Facebook.” He said, showing me his phone.  

At his words, I could feel the sides of my lips tugging upwards. I tried not to be obvious so I let out a small laugh.

“I thought people don’t play Facebook these days. Isn’t instagram or something the new thing?” I teased.

“Fine, fine. I am one outdated chap.” He joked back.

That was one thing about Woohyun that I like. Talking to him was less awkward that what would have been between me and other guys. I concluded that he has a way in conversing with people.

 

 

“Welcome to Choco paradise!” Both of us greeted in sync.

I watched Woohyun walk out of the counter and attend to the lady customer. He was a little uncertain about some of the products so I chimed in whenever necessary. He flashed an awkward smile at the lady and I couldn’t help but laugh inwardly. The office lady eventually walked out of the store, empty-handed. I crossed my arms and sat on the chair I hid away from my boss. He always steals our chair because he thinks I slack too much. I guess bosses are all the same.

“I thought you could charm her into buying those chocolates.” I again.

I guess teasing Woohyun was my way of making things less awkward. To be honest, I don’t really know what else to say to him besides joking randomly and teasing him whenever opportunities arise.

“Don’t you think I scare the customers away? She’s the third customer that left when I attended.” He stated.

 “I think you’re thinking too much? Probably it so happens that you attended to those uninterested customers?”  I suggested.

“No, I don’t think that’s the case.” He shook his head.  

Woohyun insisted to prove his point so now, he was standing outside the store distributing flyers. I watch him from inside the store and a slight smile unknowingly graced my lips. I thought his actions were pretty amusing. I guess I was slowly getting used to Woohyun’s presence at the store. Maybe, it wasn’t too bad an idea to have him around. Woohyun returned to the store thirty minutes later, putting the flyers before me.  

“Look. Not a single soul entered for the past thirty minutes.” He insisted.

“Not when you’re giving out the flyers without smiling. You look so fierce.” I scoffed at his efforts.  

“You know… I could simply look at a baby without smiling and make them cry seconds later. I have also once experimented, staring at a dog without smiling and it walked away the next second!”  He said.

I was laughing really hard at his lame experiments with babies and dogs. However, frankly speaking, I would admit that Woohyun looks pretty intimidating without a smile on. And sometimes, when he isn’t smiling, I cannot decipher him. It was at those times that I realize, I don’t know much about this person, after all. And I wonder whether he considered me as a friend or acquaintance or just a girl he met at work. Come to think of it, I have never heard him calling my name before. He would usually just tap me or begin a short conversation with ‘Yah’.

“Park Haeri.”

I slowly looked up at Woohyun with my heart skipping more than a beat already. It was in a skipping competition until Woohyun laughed out loud at my identification card picture. My heart fell in the next instant and I sort of faked a smile. Snatching my identification card back, I punched him hard in his arm. He winced in pain and I ignored him. To be honest, I was slightly disappointed. I thought Woohyun knew my name without asking. It could be through the delivery boy or through whatever other way (not in this mean way). I just wanted him to know my name. Because it makes me feel like maybe, he cared enough to take a step further.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter