A feeling Jessica doesn't want

It's you, Lee Donghae

 

Jessica’s POV

 

I woke up to an unfamiliar scent. I opened my eyes to an unfamiliar room.

 

I sat up and looked around for my belongings and found them just beside the bed I was laying on.

 

I quickly got up. I have no idea where I am, why I’m here… I don’t know who brought me here and what time it is.

 

I frantically looked around for a clock, only to realise I had my phone on me.

 

Dead battery.  Argh.

 

Suddenly the door opened.

 

Siwon.

 

I let out a sigh; at least I knew who it was.

 

“Why am I here?”

 

“You fainted when running at school, and I brought you back here.” He said, but it wasn’t convincing.

 

“You know where I live, why didn’t you take me home?” I questioned.

 

I paid attention to his facial expression and body movements.

 

“I-I… I…” He stuttered continuously.

 

“I don’t know why you brought me back here, I don’t know why you are stuttering and I don’t know if you’re doing it to annoy me or it’s because of something else but you have successfully annoyed me to the point where I’m simply going to go home. Now, so don’t follow me.”

 

I put my bag over my shoulder and walked out the room, leaving him there.

 

I left the grand building.

 

That wasn’t very smart of me, was it? I didn’t know where I was… I didn’t know how to get home and my phone wasn’t working. I didn’t bring my GPS with me either.

 

I was getting scared, it wasn’t dark yet but I could tell it was the evening.

 

If school finished at 4pm, I ran for an hour or so, it would have been 5pm… then from school to here it would have had been another hour – and I slept. Thank goodness it’s not winter when the sun sets super early.

 

It should be past dinner time, so around 8 or 9pm.

 

I strolled around the neighbourhood and reached somewhere less glamorous as to where Siwon and his parents live.

 

I walked around for what seemed like forever. It was getting a bit chilly, and now it definitely was quite dark. There was barely a person outside. What if I get ? Or worse, what if I get and murdered?

 

I stopped thinking these thoughts; I’m only going to scare myself.

 

Suddenly, someone grabbed my waist towards his beer belly. Oh my gosh, I’m in deep right now.

 

I let out the pitchiest scream I ever could and tugged him off my waist and ran forward. He chased me for a while, but he stopped.

 

I looked back, to see he was lying on the floor with someone over him. I couldn’t see who was over him so I decided to walk towards them. He was also coming towards me.

 

Fear hit me, what if he was the one wanted me for himself? Oh gosh.

 

I moved back again… Almost tripping over my own steps.

 

“Jessica, can’t you see me?”

 

“Oh my god, you know my name.” I said fearfully. However, his voice sounds familiar. I stopped moving and tried to get a better look of him.

 

“It’s me, Donghae.” I let out a deep sigh. “You scared the pants off me!” I cried.

 

He laughed, “I thought I’d never see another expression of yours other than your usual disinterested one.” There are a lot of sides to me that you haven’t seen.

 

“Are you okay from the fall earlier on at school?” He took my arm and directed me to sit at the bus stop. “How did you know I fell? Well, fainted.”

 

I could see raindrops falling lightly in front of us.

 

“Oh, never mind then. I see you’re alright.” He said.

 

He’s being suspicious. “Spill it already; it was you who helped me weren’t it? How did I end up at Siwon’s house?”

 

He looked at me, “How did you know? Did you feel anything when you were unconscious? Wait, were you unconscious?”

 

“I just know. I was unconscious, so how could I feel anything? Did you do something to me?” I eyed him.

 

He looked away and looked at the rain. “No, I didn’t.”

 

“Yes, you did. I can tell you did.”

 

“I didn’t.”

 

“You did.”

 

“I didn’t.”

 

“You didn’t.”

 

“I did.”

 

“Gotcha! Tell me what you did.”

 

“No.”

 

“Tell me or date me.”

 

He stopped and looked at me. Jessica Jung, where did your guts come from exactly, eh?

 

“Siwon’s your fiancé; you shouldn’t treat him like that.” He said, forcefully.

 

“He can mind his own business, and to straighten you up there – we aren’t engaged. He’s just dreaming.” I said, and then looked at the rain.

 

It was getting heavy.

 

There was an awkward silence.

 

“Why are you here?” Curiosity got me.

 

“I live across the road.” He replied.

 

I looked across the road, “Which one?” I asked.

 

“The one with the blue door.” He said.

 

“Yeah, because I can totally see the colour of doors right now.” I sarcastically replied.

 

“The one with no lights on.” I looked at the house, it seemed empty. I suddenly remembered my brother.

 

“Did you know someone called Yunho?” I asked.

 

“I know a lot of Yunho’s…” He looked at me. “Why?”

 

“What about Jung Yunho from four years ago, aged 22 at the time and would be 26 right now… who lived in California?” I questioned.

 

“I know a lot of Yunho’s, but not a single Jung Yunho, even if I did – he would be alive. Why are you asking me all this?” He looked me straight in the eye.

 

Was he lying? It’s impossible that he doesn’t know him! He’s the witness to my brother’s death. I need to get back on track; he needs to be my boyfriend.

 

“Date me or tell me what you did to me.” I tried to change the topic.

 

At this moment in time, I’d rather he told me what he did.

 

“If you don’t speak within three seconds then I take it as you’ll date me. 3, 2…”

 

“I’ll date you, but I don’t think I like you more than a friend just yet. It’s unfair.”

 

I could hear the bus coming, I kept quiet.

 

I got up when the bus stopped, I was getting on but I had to do something to keep him hanging.

 

“Please wait a moment,” I said to the driver.

 

I got off the bus and got on my tippy toes. I kissed Donghae on his lips and scurried back to the bus.

 

I took a random seat at the back on the other side of the bus so he couldn’t see that I was checking out his reaction. He stood there like a brick in the rain. Hopefully he’ll get home quicker, he’ll catch a cold at that rate. Well, I’m pretty proud of myself.

 

I could sense my smile creeping up on my face but I couldn’t touch on what reason it was that made me smile. I’ll conclude it was because I was doing extremely well after two days.

 

 

--

 

Donghae’s POV

 

I dried my hair with the towel and looked in the mirror; I touched on where Jessica kissed. I could feel my heart thumping harder and quicker every time I thought about it.

 

Does she really like me, or is she playing with me? Jessica Jung, your emotions are too hard to read. Or maybe I don’t know her well enough. I went under the duvet on my bed.

 

Who was this Yunho guy she was questioning me about? What about Siwon? Does she really like me? Why does she like me? How does she like me?

 

I groaned. I couldn’t answer the questions, I couldn’t even answer the questions to why I kissed her or why she kissed me.

 

Flashback.

 

“Jessica! Are you okay?” I asked, I looked at her pale face… she was sweating.

 

I slightly picked her up and rested her head on my shoulder. I looked down at her face.

 

She had pale white skin that was flawless. No spots and her skin looked soft. Her pink lips stood out. Although she had a weak jaw line she was still pretty. Her blonde hair fit her fine. Without even noticing, I already had my lips on hers.

 

End of flashback.

 

I think I like her… but what about Sunye?

 

Flashback

 

“Do you still like me?” Sunye asked as she lay on the nurse bed.

 

The question troubled me, I couldn’t bring myself to say yes or no.

 

“I take that as a no then, you chose the blonde girl who you met for less than 48 hours over me… who you’ve known for over ten years?” She looked up at me, also getting up.

 

“You made me wait, forever is a long time to wait.” I simply said.

 

She took hold of my hand and was coming close to my face.

 

I could the door open, we both looked. I saw Jessica.

 

End of flashback.

 

Sometimes I laugh at myself when I think back to when I was younger, I would have done anything for Sunye. When she asked me how long I would wait for her, I’d say forever without knowing how long that was.

 

I gradually fell asleep with the thoughts.

 

 

--

 

 

I walked past the door of Eunhyuk’s class. Maybe I should go in, I mean they are my friends – and Jessica… well, she was my ‘girlfriend’.

 

I decided to go in, after-all there was still time before I had to get to my own class.

 

I walked towards Jessica, but I could see she and Siwon were having a conversation. They both looked up at me.

 

“Am I interrupting something?” I asked. They both shook their heads.

 

When I saw Siwon’s look at Jessica, jealousy hit me. I knew it was jealousy because I wanted to punch him. As over-protective it was for a new relationship, I couldn’t help it.

 

“You two sit together?” I asked. Jessica could sense something was wrong with me so she got up, taking me by my arm she pulled me to the other side of the room.

 

“Miss put him beside me.”

 

I nodded. “What subjects do you have today?” I asked.

 

She pulled out her diary and flipped to the table with her timetable on there. “I have history, English, geography, double maths and then music.”

 

“Ohhhh! I also have geography and music at the same time; we’re very likely to be in the same class.” I couldn’t imagine what goofy grin I had on my face to be able to spend some more time with her. She stared at me with the usual expression.

 

“You know, I won’t like you if you don’t warm up. You can start with smiling more…” I said, trying to get her to smile. I knew that I like her already; I could always make her think I don’t though. However, this ‘like’ I have for her is strong.

 

She gave me a faint smile, and then the bell went. With that, her smile disappeared. “I’ve gotta go, see you at break!” I said while running out the room to my class.

 

-

 

Throughout double maths I could only think about Jessica’s faint smile. Is this perhaps, love?

 

I went down to the canteen and I saw Jessica, with Eunhyuk, Shindong, Sunny, Kyuhyun, Seohyun and Sunye.

 

I took the seat beside Sunny, in front of Shindong.  Why did Sunye join us today? She usually sits with her ‘newer’ friends than us…

 

“Okay, so Miss Kwon confirmed with us that the English homework that we’re partnering up with is going to be coming out in tomorrow. We have English first thing tomorrow, and you guys have it all third, right? Except Sunye… you’re still in 2E, right? Come on, get smarter already!”

 

“I can’t wait to see who I’ll be paired up with! I’m sad I won’t be with Hyomin though… Tiffany leaving was already bad enough.” Sunny pouted.

 

“Oh come on, you sit beside each other in most classes!” I said, pinching her cheeks.

 

“Yeah but Seohyun always tells us to be quiet when we’re talking!” She argued back.

 

“Hey! She’s only trying to help you and your studies, you’re failing and it’s the beginning of our third day!” Kyuhyun said.

 

“How do you know I’m failing when it’s our third day?” Sunny whined.

 

“Who was the one who was begging to copy my Science homework over the summer holidays?”

 

With that, Sunny threw her bottle at him. She stuck out her tongue and ran, he chased after her. Jessica was wowed at the situation, her eyes were wide open and she had her back straight, leaning back.

 

We, on the other hand, were wowed at her expression. She soon realised the stares from us.

 

“What you looking at? And are they usually like this?” She said.

 

“At you, and yeah they’ve always been like this. Since they were born, always squabbling. I still remember them complaining about each other taking up space in their mum’s womb before they were born. They aren’t serious.”

 

Everyone at the table laughed, but only Jessica’s caught me. Her first time laughing with us and it was because of me. Cue in the fireworks exploding, only kidding.

 

“Oh, Donghae! Han Chaeyoung is doing a fan signing on Saturday. I’m going, are you?” Eunhyuk said.

 

Oh my god, Han Chaeyoung. My celebrity crush!

 

I let out a scream, it wasn’t pitchy though.

 

“FAN SIGNING? HOW COME I DIDN’T KNOW OF THIS?” I stood up.

 

Jessica seemed shocked at my reaction; I sat back down again scratching my head in embarrassment.

 

The bell went and we sluggishly went upstairs to class. I daringly held Jessica’s hand and walked up with her.

 

“Did your mum or dad complain about you getting home late last night?” I asked her.

 

She looked up at me, her face went dark. “My mum lives in California.”

 

“Oh. What about your dad then?”

 

“My dad? He doesn’t care.”

 

We reached the classroom, she let go of my hand and walked in alone.

 

I think, I just touched her weak spot but seriously, her dad wouldn’t care? What kind of man is he?

 

Jessica was silent for the lesson, heck we didn’t even sit together but we weren’t far away though.

 

 

---

 

Jessica’s POV

 

I knew ignoring him wasn’t very nice but since when was I ever nice. I kept on thinking about what happened yesterday. It was like meeting a male Tiffany. Tiffany made me ask so many questions about her, she made me talk. He made me talk. I even took the courage to kiss him, what was I thinking? I was even proud of myself for doing that. Moreover, he asked me to smile and I smiled, I even laughed at something he said.

 

I started biting my finger; I think I’m just going to have to ignore him for the day. I have no other choice. We still have plenty of time; I have my whole life to waste doing this.

 

The bell rang and I came to my senses, I just zoned out of the whole lesson. I looked back at Donghae unconsciously. I need help here.

 

“Donghae, did you listen to her?” I whispered.

 

“What? I can’t hear you!” He said, loud enough for the building opposite the school to hear.

 

“Never mind, I’ll tell you at lunch.”

 

I sensed all the eyes on my and went off to my next class.

 

 

---

 

 

I slept throughout Maths without getting caught, it was peaceful. Siwon wasn’t bothering me for some reason. I guess I should be happy; maybe he’ll stop annoying me.

 

“Jessica.” Siwon called for me as I was leaving the room.

 

Okay, no he won’t.

 

“I’m coming over on Friday night.” He stared at me, and then shoved a note into my hand. “Don’t let anyone see it, read it when you’re alone.”

 

I took hold of the paper and nodded, he walked out of the room. Well, that was a shock.

 

-

 

I saw Donghae waiting for me outside the classroom. “Hey, I’m sorry for ignoring you.”

 

Am I serious? Was I apologising? Yeah, I was. Jessica Jung, tsk! It took you three days for this to happen.

 

“Whoa, are you apologising? Ah, it’s okay. Oh, and what did Siwon give you?” He asked.

 

I looked at the paper and then put it into my bag.

 

“It’s just some notes from maths, I kind of fell asleep.”

 

Now I was making excuses for Siwon, or shall I say myself. He nodded and took my arm. We sort of rushed down the stairs to the front of the school. Loads of stools were set out; it was extremely noisy and packed. It’s as if the whole school had come out.

 

It was the club opening day.

 

“What club are you going to join?” Donghae asked.

 

“I don’t know…” I said. I really didn’t have a clue, I didn’t even know about this if Eunhyuk didn’t bring it up on Monday and I didn’t have interest in it but seeing Donghae’s cheerful smile made me want to do it. I don’t even know what’s wrong with me. Do I like him?

 

I saw the girl from yesterday who kissed Donghae coming to us. She was not pleased at our locked arms, obviously. Thinking of that kiss made me jealous.

 

“I didn’t introduce myself yesterday. I’m Sunye, Min Sunye. I know you’re Jessica so don’t introduce yourself.” She said. Now that I saw her up close, I couldn’t help but think she was quite pretty but I’m prettier.

 

“Anyway, I was just doing to say hi. Now, bye! Toodles!” She walked off while looking back, waving.

 

“She didn’t say hi, but bye. Interesting. What’s your relationship with her?” I looked up at Donghae, I did not want to ask that… okay, so maybe I did. Curiosity kills.

 

“Childhood friend?” He said.

 

“You don’t answer a question with a question, now tell me.” I said. I wanted to know, I can’t help it anymore.

 

“Childhood friend who I had a crush on, until less than 24 hours ago I realised I didn’t.”

 

Oh, cool. “Why don’t you like her anymore?” I asked. It just keeps slipping out.

 

“I’m not telling you, now let’s hurry up and sign up.”

 

---

 

So I slept through maths again. Oh, I signed up for English reading club. Reading books in English, just the way I like it. I think Donghae joined the football club or something like that; Eunhyuk forced him to even though he said he wanted to do badminton.

 

I looked at my phone. I got a text from my dad.

 

‘From: Mr. Jung

 

I’ll be in Spain for business; I’ll be back in two weeks to finalize the engagement. Don’t mess up, Jessica Jung. Or else.’

 

Ugh. Whatever. Now that you’re out my face, it’s better. Hope he dies in a crash for treating my mum like that.

 

“Why will you look at that Jessica, it’s a phone? Now hand it here, you know the school rules and-“ Mr. Jung said, he’s annoying because he is another Jung. No blood relation with him though, that’s better.

 

“I don’t know the rules.” I said, cutting him off.

 

“No phones allowed during school time unless it’s break, lunch or after school.” He said, while taking the phone out my hand. “You can have it back after school, come to my office to get it.”

 

Where is your office, Mr. Jung? I’d ask him that but I’d be late for Music. Last period, I can do this!

 

-

 

This time I sat beside Donghae, we sat in a circle and discussed what kind of music we listened to in the holidays and whether people were joining the music club. We moved onto questions directed to me.

 

“What about you Jessica? What instruments can you play?” Ms Lee asked.

 

“I can play the piano and guitar, the acoustic guitar,” I said.

 

I could hear Eunhyuk saying “Whoa! I did not know that.”

 

A part of me wanted to smack him around his head, he’s known me for three days – of course he wouldn’t know that. No one here does, no one knows I play instruments.

 

Well, Yunho did… but… heh he’s not alive is he.

 

“Jessica!” Donghae shook me.

 

“What?” I asked, annoyed at him shaking.

 

“You zoned out, everyone’s looking at you.”

 

“Oh, sorry.”

 

I apologised, again? I could see Donghae sniggering beside me. A smile crept on my face seeing him like that.

 

“Alright, so I’ve seen your grades and I know how you all are from last year. This term we will compose our own song. Lyrics, and music and it’ll be performed at the end of term concert.”

 

I could hear the class groan, I took part in it. If there was something I hated, it was attention from unknown people. I hated having to stand up on my own to do things like introductions at new schools.

 

The start of this term was August 4th, 2003. It was now the 6th, this term ends at the start of October for a two week break, and then we return.

 

“So, I want you all to go home tonight and brainstorm some ideas or themes for your songs. I understand that we only have one lesson a week for the next 8 weeks but let’s try our best!” Ms Lee said as she put her fist in the air.

 

The bell rang, without caring – the class left her in that position. Teehee.

 

“Jessica, could you give me your number?” Donghae asked, with the ‘rest of the group’ surrounding me. Then I remembered Mr. Jung had taken it. “Uhh… could you guys wait for me at the front gate? I got it confiscated, I’ll get it now.”

 

Donghae laughed when the rest said ok, and went off. “You don’t remember your own number?”

 

I glared at him. “So? Anyways, where is Mr. Jung’s office?”

 

“Behind me.”

 

Oh, I moved him out my way and knocked on the door. I heard Mr. Jung say come in. I opened the door and walked through, “It’s on the desk. Just take it and leave.” He said. I did what he said, then left the building with Donghae.

 

-

 

After giving out my number and saving theirs, I read the message that was left in my inbox.

 

‘From: Home

 

JESSICA, COME TO THE CHAEYOUNG’S HOSPITAL NOW. YOUR DAD HAD A SEIZURE/ATTACK/IDK. NOW. NOW. NOW. HURRRRRRY!’

 

I checked when she sent it, over half an hour ago. I couldn’t think straight, how did this happen? My gosh, what… when… why…

 

“I gotta go. An emergency has turned up. Seohyun, I’m sorry – I’ll return this tomorrow.” I grabbed Seohyun’s bike and got on it, then rode my way to the hospital. I knew where Chaeyoung’s hospital was by heart.

 

---

 

Well, I'll empathise on this... yeah, ever since from Chapter 1 - the story the date of the story was August, 2003. There's nothing wrong in there. A spoiler would be, we will advance to 2010 soon. Let's say, before we get to 2010 - something huge will happen.
 
I'm debating amongst myself and I can't decide. Choose either Sunye or Taeyeon (you'll know when we get to 2010 why) as to who you prefer w/ them and Donghae. Like... you prefer Taeyeon's one sided crush on Donghae, or Sunye's i-don't-understand-what-her-actions-mean-but-I-want-to-see-her-personality-with-Donghae?