25 ~ Hospital

The Simple Things

25 ~ Hospital

 

 

"Hello?"

 

It was now the following morning and Daehyun had called the café directly after Mihi's number went to voicemail. Someone had finally picked up, but it was not the person he had been hoping for.

 

"O-Oh, Sujin," he answered. "It's Daehyun. Is Mihi there?"

 

"Uhh…"

 

On the other end of the line, Sujin fiddled with her fingers as she tried to think of an excuse.

 

"Mihi wasn't feeling well this morning so I told her to stay home," she ended up blurting.

 

Daehyun's grip on his phone tightened as his eyes widened. "What?! Is she okay? What happened?"

 

"S-She said it was just a little headache and that after a day of rest she should be okay," she quickly said. "Don't worry, she's fine."

 

There was a small pause on the other end. "I should probably come back to check on her."

 

Sujin eyes widened. "There's no need! It's nothing serious and she even said it herself that she's more or less fine!"

 

"Well, you can't really take Mihi's words for granted when she says she's okay," Daehyun replied. "She's the type to not want to worry others. But if you say so Sujin, then she must be fine. Thanks Sujin-ah. You have a nice day."

 

"No problem, you too Daehyun."

 

Sujin heaved a sigh of relief when he hung up. Mihi was serious when she said that he'd fly back to Korea if he found out she was in the hospital. She let a small smile frame her face. It was nice to see how much the two of them actually understood each other.

 

They were great together.

 

Over at Shanghai, Daehyun was lying down on his bed, staring at his phone once again. He got the shock of his life when he saw that the very someone that he had been yearning for was finally calling him.

 

'Incoming call from:

 

Mihi.'

 

He sat up quickly when he realised who it was. A wide smile made its way onto his face as his eyes turned to little crescents.

 

"Mihi!" he immediately answered.

 

She laughed when she heard his overly-excited voice, but quickly covered when she heard it echoing around her. She was currently hiding in the emergency stairways of the hospital to make this phone call, so she needed to be quiet.

 

"Hey Daehyun, how's Shanghai? Are you impressing everyone you meet already?"

 

"You think very highly of me, don't you?" he replied teasingly.

 

She shrugged her shoulders, which couldn't be seen by Daehyun because it wasn't a video call. "Meh~~"

 

He frowned. "Hey, what is that supposed to mean."

 

She started giggling softly and decided to change the subject. "I my phone to see a whole list of missed calls from you. Did you miss me that much already?"

 

"Yes," came his straightforward answer, causing her breath to hitch in as her heart did funny things behind her ribcage. He started chuckling when he heard no response on the other end and suspected she was blushing shyly to herself -- which of course, was true. "I know you miss me too."

 

"Cheesy."

 

He smirked. "Cutie."

 

She went silent again, and this time he started laughing as he pictured how she would've looked right now. He wanted to fly all the way back to where she was and pull her into a hug. "You're so shy, Mihi."

 

She pouted to herself. He was teasing her on purpose. "No cheesecake for you when you get back."

 

"Hmmm…." He pretended to think. "Nah, I don't think so. My girlfriend isn't that heartless."

 

It was her turn to smile slyly to herself. "Don't be so sure about yourself~~"

 

He laughed. "So I'm guessing your headache's gone by now? That's a relief."

 

"Headache?" Mihi repeated to herself confusedly.

 

Daehyun furrowed his brow. "Aren't you resting at home right now because you had a headache and weren't feeling well? Sujin only just told me this a few minutes before you called."

 

"O-Oh yeah, ahahaha," she started laughing awkwardly. "I'm more or less okay now."

 

"Alright, take care of yourself, or I really will fly back over there to check on you," Daehyun said with a hint of a chuckle. "I'll make a video call with you later today when I get back from my meeting."

 

Mihi started panicking inside. *V-Video call?!*

 

"I love you."

 

She started blushing again as his voice sounded almost husky next to her ear.

 

"I-I love you too," she meekly replied.

 

Daehyun waited for her to hang up, and then got ready for the day's meeting with a smile on his face. Mihi, on the other hand, was slowly shuffling her way back to her hospital room as she clutched her phone in her hands.

 

How was she going to make a video call with Daehyun without him finding out about her situation?

 

She groaned and clutched her head. She could feel a real headache coming on in addition to the pain of her head injury.

 

"Oh dear…" she sighed.

 

"What's wrong, Mihi?" came an unidentified voice.

 

She stifled a scream and jumped back in surprise. With wide eyes, she studied the figure standing in the middle of her room. He chuckled at her reaction.

 

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you."

 

Mihi breathed out to steady herself from the sudden fright. "Myungsoo, what are you doing here?"

 

She was still feeling a little wary around him.

 

He sent her a soft smile which made her feel a little guilty about feeling that way. "I went by the café to pick you up for our lunch date, but you weren't there." His eyes softened as he stepped closer to her. "Are you alright? I heard from Sujin-ssi what happened."

 

*That's right, Sujin doesn't know about… those matters* Mihi thought, before quickly nodding. "I'm fine. Thank you for your concern Myungsoo."

 

Content with her answer, he put his arm around her and gently led her to the bed.

 

"W-What are you doing?" she asked in alarm, making brief attempts to wriggle out of his grasp. She stopped when she caught sight of the bags of food on the table.

 

"Since you can't go out for lunch, I decided to bring lunch to you," Myungsoo explained with a boyish grin plastered across his face.

 

Her eyes flickered back and forth between the food and Myungsoo's brightly smiling face.

 

"Oh, thank you."

 

He helped her sit on her bed before taking a seat beside it. Mihi watched on with astonishment as he opened up the bags and took out the containers of food. They were all… street food. Nothing like the out-of-her-league stuff she figured would suit Myungsoo's tastes.

 

"Wow, you like eating street food too?" she asked.

 

He nodded his head excitedly -- looking nothing like the stone-faced CEO he was. "Yeah, nothing beats some good street food when it comes to sharing with someone."

 

Myungsoo poked a piece of dukbokki with a fork and handed it to her. "Eat up."

 

Mihi found herself laughing along genuinely at how bright he was as they shared the various kinds of street food. It was delicious and would beat hospital food any day.

 

"Thank you, Myungsoo," she thanked again.

 

He waved it off with a wide smile and handed her another plate of jjajangmyeon.

 

"Another?!"

 

"Of course!" he declared. "You need to eat well to get well."

 

She frowned at him jokingly. "I believe that you're the one who has to deal with all the stress at work, so you have to eat more." She held up a fish-shaped bungeoppang to his face and chuckled. "Here. The fish is calling for you."

 

Myungsoo leaned forward and ate it from her grasp instead of taking it with his hand, causing her to hastily let go of it and to shuffle backwards in surprise. He grinned at her playfully but didn't comment on it.

 

They had pretty much finished all of the food, so Myungsoo decided it was time for him to leave. He also had matters at the company to take care of.

 

"Get well soon, Mihi."

 

After shooting her another bright smile, he finally left.

 

For some reason, she now missed Daehyun even more. Myungsoo had always been similar to Daehyun ever since she had first met him, and she couldn't help but to think about how nice it would be if she could spend time like this with her boyfriend instead.

 

She stared off into space.

 

"Only 13 days to go."

 

 

~~~

 

 

The first thing Mihi saw when she accepted the video call was Daehyun's big, smiling face filling up the whole screen. The man sure was photogenic.

 

Daehyun raised an eyebrow when he realised what extra accessory she was wearing.

 

"I've never seen you wear a beanie before, Mihi. It looks cute," he commented.

 

She consciously pulled it down lower to cover more of her head. "Haha, it's a little cold today, so I decided to wear it."

 

Again, she was sitting on the emergency stairways and was fortunately able to cover her bandaged head with a beanie that Youngjae had conveniently brought over earlier. She was also wearing her own jacket to cover the hospital clothes.

 

"Have you been resting?" he worriedly asked. "Do you feel better now?"

 

"You sound like Yongguk-oppa, being such a worrywart," she laughed. "I'm all better now. How'd your meeting go?"

 

Daehyun beamed. "It went great! It was all thanks to being able to hear your voice this morning."

 

Mihi paused before speaking. "You've been eating too much cheese, you cheeseball." Daehyun grinned in response.

 

"I know you like me the way I am, so don't even try to deny it."

 

After spending the next few minutes just talking and teasing each other, the door to the stairway suddenly burst open to reveal a nurse.

 

Mihi's heart almost lurched out of her chest.

 

"Mihi-ssi! I've been looking for you."

 

"N-Nurse-ssi…" she replied weakly.

 

The nurse's eyes flickered down to the phone in her hand and quickly apologised. "Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realise you were making a phone call. You carry on then, and then we'll do a few check-ups on you when you return to your room afterwards."

 

She left Mihi with her eyes pinched closed, hoping that Daehyun had not grasped onto the situation. But when she opened her eyes to look at him on the screen, his expression practically screamed 'I heard everything'.

 

"Mihi…" he began.

 

"I'm really sorry!" she squeaked. "I really didn't mean to keep it from you, Daehyun."

 

Daehyun's brow creased in worry. "Then why did you keep it from me? Why are you at the hospital? What's wrong, are you hurt somewhere?!"

 

"D-Don't worry!" she answered in an attempt to calm him down. "It's nothing serious. I just didn't want you to worry."

 

Mihi studied his expression as he eyed her beanie.

 

"Take off your beanie."

 

The guy was smart.

 

She sighed as she slowly pulled it off to reveal the bandages wrapped around her head, causing Daehyun's eyes to double in size when he saw them.

 

"Mihi! What happened?! You hurt your head seriously enough to go to the hospital?!" he yelled. He started panicking by himself. "Oh my god, you are okay?! Are you hurt really seriously?! What did the doctors say?!"

 

"Calm down Daehyun! It's nothing serious."

 

She started explaining to him what had happened, but it did little to ease his worries.

 

"No wonder you weren't picking up my calls. So I'm guessing both Youngjae and Sujin had lied to me to cover this up?"

 

Mihi nodded sheepishly, obviously defeated. "But I can promise you that I'm fine. The doctor even said that I can be discharged tomorrow."

 

She blinked at him with round eyes. "Forgive me?" she added with a little aegyo, which she usually never did. But it certainly had the effect she wanted here.

 

"…Yeah…" Daehyun ended up saying. He was trying to hide a smile behind his hand and was blushing slightly.

 

Mihi giggled. "I love you, Daehyun."

 

The now shy Daehyun smiled back at her widely.

 

"I love you too Mihi."

 

 

---

 

The cheeseball Daehyun can be so mushy sometimes, haha :P

 

One exam left to go and then I'm free for the next three months! :D:D:D  Thank you new subscribers and thanks to all for reading ^^