15 ~ Dinner Date

The Simple Things

15 ~ Dinner Date

 

 

Youngjae was making his way to his office when he noticed that the division one area was unusually quiet. His eyes flickered around the rows of workstations and saw that the employees were all focused on one particular thing -- the interaction between a female co-worker and their division leader, Jung Daehyun.

 

Youngjae watched as Daehyun skimmed through the file submitted by the female employee with a satisfied expression. He snapped the file closed in his hands when he finished reading it and lifted his head to face her with a smile.

 

A smile.

 

An actual smile -- which left the entire division gasping with disbelief at the rare sight unfolding before them and Youngjae with a know-it-all smirk.

 

"Great work Yoomi-ssi. Keep it up," Daehyun complimented, before leaving for his office with the file in hand. Yoomi woozily headed back to her workstation with a flushed face, probably blinded by that smile she was exposed just before. Her female colleagues flew over to her like vultures and started gushing over the scene from before.

 

From where he stood, Youngjae could overhear the numerous overlapping conversations coming from the area.

 

"Did you see Daehyun-ssi smile before?! He never smiles!"

 

"Oh my god he's even more handsome when he's smiling!"

 

"He seems to be in a better mood these days, did you notice?"

 

"I heard that he's got a girlfriend now, so that's why he's so happy nowadays!"

 

"Really?! I thought that was just a rumour!"

 

"Maybe we should ask Youngjae-ssi? He would know! They're close friends!"

 

On hearing the last sentence, Youngjae quickly turned around and went into his office, making sure to lock the door behind him. He'd rather not have to answer their questions.

 

It wasn't until after he left did a female employee remember something else that she noticed. "Oh, that reminds me. Have you noticed how CEO Kim has also been in a good mood recently too?"

 

"Yeah, I've noticed that too."

 

"Maybe CEO Kim has a girlfriend too?"

 

"Or maybe, both Daehyun-ssi and CEO Kim met the same girl."

 

"That's not very likely!"

 

"Yeah I know. It was just a joke."

 

"But imagine if it was true though!"

 

 

~~~

 

 

"Everyone's talking about you, you know?"

 

Daehyun didn't bother looking up at Youngjae who was seated across his office desk. "Let them. I'm not one to care about these things."

 

His best friend smirked. "Even if it involves Mihi?"

 

That got him to stop.

 

"Relax," Youngjae quickly said. "They don't know who she is. They only refer to her as your girlfriend, although I'm not too sure where they heard the news from. But they're basically saying how you've become a brighter person after meeting her and how special she must be, or something along those lines."

 

Daehyun smiled as he thought of her. "She's definitely special."

 

"Then let her know that she is!"

 

He frowned at him. " What do you mean by that?"

 

Youngjae raised an eyebrow and gave him a look. "It's been a week since the two of you got together and you haven't taken her out even once. You've been cooping yourself inside of this office again, Daehyun."

 

"And that's why I'm taking her out for dinner tonight." Daehyun leaned back in his armchair in thought. "I should really make more time for her, shouldn't I?"

 

"Well that goes without saying."

 

 

~~~

 

 

"Daehyun should be here soon," Sujin giggled as she shook Mihi's arm. She had reverted back to the usual Sujin after finding out about their relationship. "Go get changed before he comes. You'd want to look good for him!"

 

Mihi sighed in response. "I don't think it matters to him anyway."

 

"But it's your first dinner together," Sujin pointed out. "You should at least put in some effort."

 

"Yes, I know, I know. I'm going."

 

Sujin stared enviously at her friend's back figure as she walked off to the change-rooms. Both Daehyun and Mihi were shy, but they were a cute couple and were happier than ever when they were together.

 

She sighed. "If only one day I could be like that with..."

 

Sujin quickly stopped herself from blurting out the name of the person who constantly clouded her thoughts and hit her forehead with her fist. *What are you doing?!* she reprimanded herself. *Stop thinking of him!*

 

Hearing a jingling tone come from the front door, her attention shifted to where the night's male lead was making his entrance clad in a button up shirt, blazer and jeans.

 

"Oh Daehyun-ah, you're here! Mihi should be ready soon."

 

And as if on cue, Mihi stepped out from behind the double doors in an angelic white dress with a matching set of shoes and clutch. She smiled shyly on seeing Daehyun, who was marvelling at her with his mouth hung open at the sight of her. He quickly closed it and timidly made his way over, stopping when he was in front of her.

 

"Y-you look pretty Mihi," he stammered.

 

She blushed. "Thanks, you look great too Daehyun."

 

There was a few moments of silence as they just stared at each other, before they broke out into laughter at their awkwardness.

 

"We're strange, aren't we?" Mihi asked with a laugh.

 

"Yes we are," Daehyun nodded before holding out his hand. "Shall we?"

 

She happily took his hand in hers as he lead her to his car. It wasn't long before they arrived at a nice buffet restaurant. Daehyun wasn't too sure about what she liked and didn't like, so he decided to play it safe with a buffet. Mihi wasn't a picky person anyways.

 

It came as no surprise to Mihi that she was the one to return to their table first after picking out their food and giggled at the sight of Daehyun's strenuous task of piling up his already full plate of food. That boy really loved eating a lot.

 

"I think it's safe to say that you'll get your worth of the price you paid tonight on behalf of us both," she said when he finally made it back to their table.

 

He glared at her playfully. "Well we're not leaving until you eat the same amount as I do."

 

Mihi laughed. "I don't think that's humanly possible. You eat as much as you breathe air."

 

Daehyun gasped. "Are you calling me inhuman?" He frowned with a hint of a pout. "Meanie."

 

She forked a piece of chicken and shoved it in his mouth to stifle his non-stop flow of sulking words. "Eat, will you."

 

He chewed the food happily and complimented it before digging into the rest of the food, all complaints from before completely forgotten. Daehyun would occasionally catch Mihi by surprise by using his fork and feeding her the foods he thought were especially good, before stopping and blushing at his own actions. She giggled every single time at his adorkableness.

 

As she was finishing off the last of her food, Mihi's phone vibrated to show that she received a new message. She opened it and read it, her eyes widening in the process.

 

"What's wrong Mihi?" Daehyun asked in concern.

 

"Uhh… Yongguk-oppa kind of dropped the bomb and told Appa that we were together."

 

Daehyun nodded. "Oh ok, nothing's wrong with that."

 

She paused. "Appa wants to meet you after dinner."

 

His eyes bulged in panic as he repeated her sentence in his head. "W-what?! L-like today?!"

 

Mihi's eyes scanned over Daehyun's perfectly polished plate. "You look just about finished. So how about we head over now?"

 

She laughed at the look on his face. "Just kidding."

 

He immediately relaxed with a heave. "You had me worried there, I thought we were really going t--"

 

"We'll go after dessert."

 

 

~~~

 

 

Daehyun's hand shook nervously as he gripped the steering wheel. They were nearing the hotel Mihi's brother and father were staying at. *What if her father doesn't like me?*

 

"Don't worry so much," Mihi reassured as she gently patted his other hand. "Appa's a really nice person. If Yongguk-oppa approves of us then there's no doubt that Appa would too. So don't worry."

 

He exhaled loudly. "That's good to hear. Is your mother going to be there too?"

 

A sad smile came onto her face. "Eomma's not with us anymore. She passed away as soon as she delivered me to this world."

 

"I-I'm sorry," Daehyun softly whispered as he gently held her hand in his and squeezed it. Mihi just shook her head.

 

"It's okay, really. It's already been so long, and I'm sure she's happily watching over all of us from up there." She pointed up with her finger and tilted her head to smile at him. "So don't you bully me."

 

He gaped at her in disbelief before laughing. "I should be the one telling you that."

 

The hotel soon came into sight so Daehyun parked the car at a nearby car-park. As Mihi was reaching for the handle to open the door, he suddenly grabbed onto her hand and pulled her towards him, causing her to stumble into his open arms. He quickly pecked her cheek as she stared at him with round eyes, clearly taken by surprise once again.

 

Daehyun flashed her his pearly whites.

 

"That was for being such a brave girl."

 

 

---

 

Hello again ^^ Thank you all for reading, and welcome new subbies :D