13 ~ The Reason

The Simple Things

13 ~ The Reason

 

 

"Noonas are acting strangely today," Zelo whispered to Jongup as they openly observed the pair's behaviour while they worked.

 

Sujin had gotten better from her cold and had returned to the café. However, her wellbeing was one to be questioned as the two boys often caught her either zoning out or walking into walls. Mihi, much to their surprise, wasn't in a much better state as she was frequently found staring off into space in deep thought while confusion clouded her face.

 

Jongup nodded in agreement. "I wonder what's gotten into them today..." 

 

It wasn't until Mihi wiped the same table for the fifth time in that same minute did he finally decide to approach her.

 

"Noona, is something bothering you?"

 

She responded with a low hum but continued to stare, this time, outside the window. Jongup curiously turned in that direction to see what was so interesting outside but saw nothing.

 

"Uhh... Mihi-noona?" he called unsurely. "Are you feeling okay?"

 

"Can I ask you something, Jongup?" she suddenly asked. He nodded, only to be met with a question that left him feeling shocked and a little flustered.

 

"When a guy kisses someone and then just leaves without a word, what does that mean?"

 

He gaped at her with his eyes as wide as saucers. "W-what?!"

 

Mihi blinked at him with an innocent curiousness in her eyes as she repeated her question word-for-word. The gears in Jongup's mind worked quickly this time.

 

"Is this about Daehyun-hyung?" he asked straightforwardly. "Or perhaps that Kim Myungsoo-ssi who comes by quite often? "

 

Mihi stared at him in wonder. "How did you..." she trailed off and turned her head away shyly. "It wasn't Myungsoo-ssi."

 

Jongup grinned knowingly. "So it was Daehyun-hyung?"

 

She hesitated, before nodding.

 

"Hmm..."

 

He held his chin in thought. "It could mean many things depending on the person, but I'm sure it's not anything bad if it's Daehyun-hyung."

 

Jongup beamed at her. "Why don't you ask him yourself?"

 

 

~~~

 

 

"When someone is kissed by a guy who just leaves without a word, what would they do?"

 

Youngjae frowned at his division leader, who leaned back in his seat in frustration. "What are you talking about?"

 

Daehyun exhaled loudly. "What do you think they would do? As in, what would they usually think?"

 

"Why are you even asking something like this? And why--"

 

A jaw-dropping thought made its way into Youngjae's mind as he gawked, wide-eyed. "Don't tell me... Did you... Daehyun, did you get kissed by a guy?!"

 

"NO!" the accused exploded in disbelief. "What the hell, you idiot?!"

 

"Well hey, you weren't making yourself clear," Youngjae retorted defensively. "So wait, does that mean that you were the one who kissed someone and then just ran away?!"

 

"Uhh..."

 

"Was it Mihi?"

 

Youngjae couldn't help but laugh at the face he got in return for his guess. "Yep, it's her alright. Never thought you would've had it in you to pull off a move like that."

 

He paused, before muttering a little sullenly, "You're making more progress than I am at least." He hadn't been able to talk to Sujin since what happened a few days ago.

 

Daehyun glared at him to try and hide his embarrassment as his best friend continued talking.

 

"Well if you just went off like that without saying anything, then wouldn't she misunderstand your intentions? She might think you're playing around with her."

 

Daehyun shot him a pointed look. "I'm not that type of person."

 

He received an infuriating smirk in return. "We never know."

 

He narrowed his eyes at the person seated opposite him. Youngjae was starting to annoy him, and he was particularly good at it too.

 

"Get out of my office."

 

 

~~~

 

 

Mihi was deep in thought yet again as she busied herself at the coffee machine. Why did Daehyun do that to her last night? It wasn't something she would've expected him to do, so it left her feeling both confused and conflicted -- especially since he just left straight afterwards, leaving her to stand there alone pondering over his actions.

 

A thought suddenly crossed her mind and she frowned at the idea.

 

*Was he playing with me?*

 

Fortunately, Jongup's words repeated itself in her head and she calmed down a bit at that. *I'm sure it's not anything bad if it's Daehyun-hyung.*

 

"Yeah… he's not that type of person," she decided. Mihi finished brewing the coffee feeling a little bit more positive about the whole situation. A familiar face met her as soon as she turned to face the counter, and a hand flew up to cover , stifling a scream emitting from .

 

It was Myungsoo.

 

*Cute* he thought while holding back the tug he felt on his lips.

 

"Oh, Myungsoo-ssi! You scared me there," she laughed after handing out the coffee to another customer.

 

He chuckled good-naturedly. "Sorry. Do you have time now?" He looked down at his hands. "I know you're at work and might be busy, but… it won't take that long. I just want to show you a place."

 

He looked up at her hopefully and she nodded eagerly, to his relief. Minutes later, they were in Myungsoo's car as he drove them to a particular location. Today, he wanted to find out for sure whether it was her or not.

 

"Oh wow, what a beautiful park," Mihi marveled as she got out of the parked car and studyied the row of flowers growing on one side.

 

Myungsoo's hopeful expression dropped. It didn't sound like she recognised this place. The next question he asked was deliberate.

 

"Mihi-ssi, have you been here before?"

 

She pouted. "I wish I had. How could I not have noticed such a nice place so close to my café?" She turned to him happily and failed to notice his disappointment. "Thank you for showing me this place."

 

He forced on a smile. "You're welcome. Glad you like it."

 

*So it wasn't her after all… She's not that girl from 15 years ago.*

 

Myungsoo watched as she went around the park in wonder and admired how effortlessly happy she looked. There was this childish innocence she carried that formed a great part of her charm.

 

All this time, he had mistaken her as that girl from that one time and had felt so happy to have been able to meet her again. The two were just so similar in both personality and appearance. But it wasn't her.

 

And for some reason, that disappointment wasn't as great as he thought it would be.

 

His expression brightened as he felt enlightened by this new revelation.

 

He liked Mihi for who she was, regardless of whether or not she was the same girl from the past.

 

 

~~~

 

 

Daehyun inhaled a deep breath as he struggled to fight off his nerves from where he was in the driver's seat. His heartbeat was beating twice as fast as the normal rate and he could feel his palms starting to sweat.

 

"I can do this," he urged on as self-encouragement. "I need to explain to her."

 

Youngjae's words flashed in his mind as he got out of the car. *She might think you're playing around with her.*

 

"Curse you Youngjae. She better not be thinking that."

 

Unexpectedly, he met Mihi at the entrance, who was just as surprised as he was. From the looks of it she was about to lock the front door.

 

"Oh, Daehyun-ah… Uhh, c-come in. It's cold outside."

 

He noticed how she wasn't as comfortable around him as she normally was, which was understandable since he did just do something rashly the night before.

 

"Mihi-ah, about last night..." Daehyun started before noticing her stiffen. "… I-I'm sorry for doing that so suddenly."

 

She nodded a little. "A-ah, yeah…"

 

"I didn't mean to disrespect you in any way, it was just… just…"

 

Just… what? Just on impulse?

 

Well, sure, but he wouldn't do that to just anybody on impulse. It had to be because that person was someone special. Daehyun thought about his life recently and how the world suddenly seemed to become a better place since he had gotten to know her. He didn't know when it all began, but eventually he started looking forward to coming to this café. To see her.

 

Again, he took in a deep breath as he clenched his fists tight. *Ah, to hell with it!*

 

"Mihi, I like you," he blurted.

 

Instantly, she flushed a bright red as those very words resounded in her head for countless times. *D-did he just say what I thought he said?*

 

"I like you Mihi," Daehyun repeated, washing away any doubts she had. "A-and that's why I… kissed you… last night."

 

He too was blushing like crazy, as the silence he received from her after his confession seemed to weigh down upon him like a thousand boulders. And for the first time in his life, he felt the fear of being rejected by that one person he has come to like to this extent.

 

Mihi, on the other hand, was feeling fireworks explode in her heart -- warming it -- as she broke out into the brightest, most brilliant smile he has ever seen her wear.

 

"I like you too Daehyun."

 

Daehyun blinked at her in silent stupor, before relief washed over him as the realisation sunk in that she felt the same way about him. His smile became a reflection of hers, as he reached forward to pull her into a warm hug.

 

"Do you mean it?!" he laughed. "Do you really?"

 

She nodded. "Yes, you scary pabo."

 

He pulled back to frown at her playfully. "What is this scary pabo you speak of?"

 

"It's scary how different you have suddenly become from the original Daehyun. And you're also a pabo, no explanations needed there."

 

Mihi giggled at the incredulous face he had on and pointed to it. "See? Pabo."

 

He startled her by stepping towards her suddenly and leaning down until there were only a few millimetres left between their faces. She blushed and tried turning her face to the side but Daehyun gently held her chin in place. There was a mischievous glimmer in his eyes as he stared at her intently.

 

"I dare you to say that again."

 

When she stayed silent, he grinned and continued leaning closer and closer and closer… until his lips finally fell upon hers once again.

 

Sparks burst in their hearts as their eyes fluttered close and they relished in this moment…

 

 

… until a deep voice cut through the air.

 

 

"Mihi?!"

 

They immediately broke apart and whipped their heads to the side only to see… Yongguk.

 

---

 

Uh oh! Yongguk has caught the two in the action! Daehyun better pray for his life, haha :P

 

Welcome new subscribers, and thank you all for reading ^^