17 ~ Stay Away

The Simple Things

17 ~ Stay Away

 

 

Yongguk and Myungsoo glared at each other without blinking as they concentrated all their hatred towards the other. The latter was the first to shift his eyes away as they landed curiously on the male who was standing so close next to Mihi that it made him feel uneasy just to watch.

 

Daehyun lowered his head in formality before straightening up and greeting his boss.

 

"CEO Kim."

 

On hearing this, Mihi's eyes almost popped out of their sockets as she turned to gape at her boyfriend. "C-CEO?" This was the first she'd heard of this.

 

A confused Daehyun nodded in reply. *They know each other.. but she doesn't actually know WHO he is?*

 

Mihi's eyes flickered up to Myungsoo's questioningly. "Myungsoo-ssi is the CEO of the company Daehyun works at?"

 

He hadn't intended to let her know of his real identity and occupation in case she started treating him differently, but the situation left him with no choice. Myungsoo let his eyes wander for a bit before returning to hers. The way she called Daehyun familiarly didn't go unnoticed by him, but he professionally put on a smile.

 

"That's right, I am."

 

Mihi stood frozen in her spot as she let this new information sink in. She had always thought of Myungsoo as a regular businessman and would never have imagined that he possessed a status of such an unreachable calibre. Not only was he the CEO of a multinational conglomerate his family owned, he was from one of South Korea's most powerful and wealthy families.

 

"O-oh, I see..." were the only words she managed, before she noticed the murderous look Yongguk directed towards him. "Yongguk-oppa? Do you and Myungsoo perhaps... know each other?"

 

Oh they knew each other all right, however much he might've wished otherwise. He decided not to answer her question and took a deep breath before turning to Daehyun. "It's getting late, the two of you should be going on your way now. Please take Mihi home safely."

 

Daehyun nodded in understanding of his intentions. There were obviously hostile feelings between the two and Yongguk didn't want Mihi to be a part of it. "Yes, Hyung."

 

After lowering his head once again towards Myungsoo, Daehyun took Mihi's hand in his and flashed her a reassuring smile before leading her across to the exit. Myungsoo's eyes followed her as she passed by him and when she turned around to glance back at him at the last minute, her eyes connected with his. He noticed the worry and confusion in her expression as she glanced back and forth between him and Yongguk.

 

*What is her relationship with Yongguk?* he wondered as Mihi finally left the hotel and disappeared from his view. *And why is she leaving with that Jung Daehyun?*

 

"You."

 

He broke out of his thoughts and turned to see Yongguk glaring at him with disdain.

 

"Stay away from her."

 

Myungsoo raised an eyebrow and scoffed. "Mihi's my friend. You can't just tell someone to stay away from their own friend."

 

"Well I'm telling you now," Yongguk growled as he took a step closer. "Don't mess with my family."

 

The younger's expression hardened. "What are you--" He stopped as an idea came to him. "Don't tell me... that Mihi's your sister?!"

 

"Just stay away from her," was Yongguk's final words of warning before he his heels and walked off, leaving Myungsoo to stand frozen in disbelief. The ill feeling in his stomach grew with every step that he took. With Kim Myungsoo's sudden appearance, he now felt very uneasy about everything.

 

He heaved a deep breath as he realised that his hopes had been crushed and his prayers hadn't been answered after all.

 

 

~~~

 

 

Mihi placed the teapot on the table after pouring a hot cup of tea. She handed it to Daehyun, who accepted it gratefully from where he was comfortably seated on the couch. They were currently in the living room of her apartment, wondering about the strange happenings back at the hotel.

 

"I had no idea that Yongguk-oppa and Myungsoo-ssi knew each. And they didn't seem to be on very good terms either," Mihi sighed.

 

Daehyun placed the cup on the table after taking a sip and pulled her into a hug. He looked at her. "Well I had no idea you and Kim Myungsoo knew each other either. Which is kind of strange on his part, since I've never seen him talk to anyone other than the employees at the company."

 

"That makes the two of you," she giggled.

 

He furrowed his eyebrows and gave her a questioning look. "What is that supposed to mean?"

 

Mihi shrugged. "Nothing in particular. I just heard from Youngjae that you were usually like that at work as well. Not to mention outside work too, since there really was no difference with you. In other words, you and Myungsoo-ssi were more or less the same in that aspect." She grinned at him. "Isn't that right, Daehyun-ssi?"

 

Daehyun raised an eyebrow. "Do you want me to go back to calling you Mihi-ssi then?"

 

"Oh, come on," she sighed as she slapped his arm lightly. "I said were. You've changed since the first time I met you, so I really can't say the same about you anymore. Happy now?"

 

"Hmm…"

 

He held his chin and pretended to think. "So have I changed in a good way or a bad way?"

 

She narrowed her eyes at him playfully. "Jung Daehyun was never this petty before. You've changed in a bad way. A bad way!"

 

Daehyun gawped at her in disbelief. "What did you just say?"

 

Mihi just laughed at him. "You heard what I said."

 

Suddenly, an evil idea popped into his head as he grinned at her. "I dare you to say that again!"

 

In a flash, Daehyun had her trapped within his arms as he stopped her from escaping and started tickling her relentlessly. She started squealing and squirming in his arms.

 

"Nooo! Stop!" she begged helplessly as she laughed uncontrollably. "Please stop, I'm sorry!"

 

Daehyun pretended not to hear her. "What was that? Did you say something?" He sang the next few words. "I can't hear you."

 

"I'm sorry! You've changed in a good way! A good way! So please stop!"

 

Finally happy with her answer, he stopped torturing her with his tickles and pulled her into a hug instead. A goofy smile was stretched across his face. "Yep, happy now."

 

Mihi pouted. "Was that really necessary?"

 

"Mm hmm." He started rocking the two of them back and forth on the couch and smiled at her innocently. "Don't be mad, Mihi-ah."

 

She shook her head before laughing, pushing his forehead back with her finger. "Really, Daehyun. I really don't believe you sometimes."

 

He just rested his head on her shoulder and closed his eyes. "I can just sleep here like this."

 

"No you can't!" she protested, trying to free herself from the secure pair arms that was latched around her. "Hey!"

 

"Ah, I almost forgot to ask." Daehyun lifted his head from her shoulder to look at her. "Are you close with Kim Myungsoo?"

 

"It's hard to say, but we're friends. He comes by the café quite often, so we have talked a fair amount," she replied. "Why do you ask?"

 

"It's nothing much. It's just that…"

 

He stared up at the ceiling in thought.

 

"… it explains a few things now."

 

Mihi blinked up at him. "What things?"

 

"None of your business!" he taunted playfully, sending her an annoying look that infuriated her.

 

"Meanie…" she sulked and turned away from him.

 

And so he spent the next few minutes trying to coax her to stop ignoring him, all the while dealing with a million worries that were filling his head to the brim.

 

If his inferences were right, then Mihi may be the reason why Kim Myungsoo has been different lately. After noticing how he looked at Mihi back at the hotel, Daehyun started to have his own suspicions regarding the whole situation. What if Myungsoo didn't only think of her as a friend?

 

That would surely cause troubles in the future.

 

Daehyun glanced down at Mihi, who was already snuggling up to him shyly after easily forgiving him.

 

She was just too cute for words.

 

And there was absolutely no reason as to why he would let anything get between the two of them.

 

He wouldn't. 

 

 

---

 

Writer's block has hit me for this chapter, and I apologise if it wasn't up to standard. But thank you all for reading :)

 

And of course, welcome new subscribers!