Chapter 3

My Beautiful Little Secret

-SEUNG HYUN-

 

Seung Ri had mentioned that she moved into his old apartment building. Seung Hyun arrived at Incheon, and asked his driver to take him immediately to the YG apartments. As soon as he got off the car, he looked up to where his old apartment was and stood there, unable to move. So many things were racing through his mind at that moment. He shook his head out of his thoughts, and made his way up to his old apartment, only to find that there was no one home. He rushed back down to the concierge and found out that “they’ve” returned to London and will return in a couple of weeks. “They?” he inquired. “Oh yes, Seung Hyun-shi. She and her daughter went back to London, apparently on business. But they should be back the week after next. Did you want to leave a message for her?” the concierge asked.

“Oh, no. No messages. I’ll try to come by again in a couple of weeks. Thank you.” He bowed and left.

On his ride home, the word “daughter” was prominent in his thoughts. “She has a daughter? Is she married?” he wondered to himself. With curiosity getting the best of him, he decided to go to YG to find out more about her daughter. He found YG in his office, talking on the phone. YG saw him and gestured him to come closer, as he finished up the call.

“Seung Hyun-ah, what brings you here? Aren’t you supposed to be in Japan?”YG nervously asked him as he hung up the phone. He had a feeling he knew why TOP was paying him a visit all of a sudden.

“Hyung, I know that [Your name]-noona is back. Why wasn’t I told?” he blurted out as he approached YG’s desk.

YG was taken aback. He knew this was going to happen sooner or later, but he didn’t think Seung Hyun was going to confront him about this now.

“Seung Hyun, I wasn’t sure how you were going to take it. I was just trying to look out for you. I didn’t tell anyone, except for Sean and Jinu.” YG explained, thinking back to what happened to Seung Hyun when she left 6 years ago. The thought still saddened him.

“But, hyung-nim. It’s been 6 years. I am not going to break.” said Seung Hyun, placing one hand on his hip as the other ruffled his hair in frustration.

“I know you won’t break, Seung Hyun. I just didn’t know how you were going to take the news of her moving back to Seoul.” explained YG.

“Hyung, I’m fine. Really, I am.” he assured YG as he sat on the couch in front of the president’s desk. “I went to the apartments to see her, but she wasn’t home. The concierge told me that she went back to London, on business, with herdaughter.” Seung Hyun made sure to look up and look at YG’s face as he emphasized the word “daughter”. The look of shock on the sajangnim’s face was an indicator.

“How did you know about Haru?” inquired a flustered YG. “Haru? That’s her name?” Seung Hyun asked. "She named her kid after our song." he thought.

“Yes. Her daughter’s name is Haru.” And before TOP could inquire any further on Haru, Sean walked into the office, and YG took that as an opportunity to avoid further discussion about the little girl with Seung Hyun.

Seung Hyun realized that YG was trying to hide something, but didn’t press any further on the subject. So, he decided to leave it alone for now, return to Japan to finish up the promotions with Bigbang in the meantime, as he waited for her to return, and find out about Haru directly from her.

 

-YOU-

 

As soon as you returned to Seoul, you found yourself scrambling to finally enroll Haru into a school a few blocks away from the apartments because the school-year was about to start the following week, and going full-throttle with the newly-opened Seoul branch of your London-based business. Once the school-year started, you went into Supermom mode – you made sure Haru got to school on time, and then rushed over to your offices in the Gangnam district, making sure everything was operating smoothly. The first few days at the office was completely hectic, as you had to go through numerous CVs of applicants that wanted to work for you (you had built quite a pretty impressive reputation in your line of work). Your first few days at the office consisted of interviews from 8am ‘til about 5pm, with video conferences with your staff in London happening in-between. You just thank God Sean’s wife volunteered to take Haru with her every day after school, since their kids also went to the same school, and would watch Haru until you get off work. Evenings were spent helping Haru with her homework, having dinner with her, and getting her to bed by 9pm.

One particular evening, after putting Haru to bed, and while you were folding your newly-laundered clothes, you heard a knock on your door. “I’ll be there in a minute!” you answered as you carry your basket of folded clothes into Haru’s room. After setting down the basket, you went to open the door, and found Seung Ri on the other side, beaming brightly, with a bottle of raspberry wine ( your favourite – he hadn’t forgotten!) in hand.

“Hi, Noona! I’m back!” he greeted you. You couldn’t help but snicker at his silliness. “Welcome back, Seung Ri! What brings you by?”

“I wanted to come by and see you and bring you this.” handing you the bottle of wine as he took a peek inside your apartment. “Please come in.” you said as you opened the door wider to let him through. He walked in, scoped the place once over and said, “I like what you’ve done with the place, noona. It certainly looks more lived-in than when TOP-hyung was here.” His eyes shot at you, all wide, realizing what he just said.

Knowing that you couldn’t avoid that topic any longer, you finally breached it.“How is he doing? Seung Hyun, I mean. Is he back in Seoul, too?” you shyly asked Seung Ri, and felt the heat rush to your cheeks.

Before Seung Ri got a chance to respond, you heard what sounded like someone clearing their throat. You looked up, and your knees almost buckled from beneath you, as the figure at the door spoke up. “Why don’t you ask me yourself, noona?”

“Seung Hyun.” you gasped.