Hit the 8-Ball

Shut Up and Love Me!

Setting: Tuesday morning before the class start

 

It was another morning at Woollim High and many students prepared for their first class. Some people walked around like zombies as if they could use an extra hour of sleep while some people were wide awake and ready to start the day. Woohyun and Hoya stood by their lockers before class. Hoya picked up a rolling pin and apron from the top shelf of his locker, neatly packing it into his bag. Woohyun stared at his reflection in his locker mirror, fixing his collar and staring into his gaze as if he was looking at a girl. He bit his lip, ready to take on any girl that comes his way. He turned around and in front of him was Sungyeol looking a little more off than usual.

His hair, face, and pants were fine but Sungyeol only wore a white-collared shirt to school, buttoned up until his collarbone. Sungyeol was usually the best dressed between the three of them, but this time he did not have any of his outer clothing.

Woohyun and Hoya looked at their friend in confusion. "Where's the rest of your outfit?" Hoya asked.

Sungyeol shrugged. Do I really look that bad right now? He picked up the bottom of his shirt and started tucking it into his pants. "I have no clue. Yesterday I did laundry, and I didn't see my blazer or sweatervest in the dryer after. It's a communal laundry room so I guess someone took it," he answered. Sungyeol sincerely had no idea where his uniform was. Before he went to sleep the night before, Sungyeol mindlessly did his laundry without keeping any track of the clothes he put in his basket. After finishing the load, Sungyeol dropped the basket next to his bed and slept. When he woke up to prepare for school, he only saw his uniform pants and collared shirt in his laundry.

Hoya took off his blazer as a couple of girls passed by them. They squealed at Hoya and ran away, enamored by his body. He smiled and passed his jacket to Sungyeol. "Go ahead and use mine for now, I have the sweatervest on."

As Sungyeol grabbed the jacket, Dongwoo and Sungjong also passed by and saw their rivals. "The visual is losing his touch?" Dongwoo threatened, causing Sungjong to laugh. They walked away before Strawberry Fields could say anything.

"Thanks a lot," Sungyeol smiled, putting on the blazer.

"Wow, you look a lot better without a sweatervest," Woohyun commented. 

"Maybe I should lose my clothes more often," Sungyeol joked.

As he said that Sunggyu and L also passed them in the hallway, trying to catch up to their other friends. Sungyeol gave a deadly look at the band, staring at each of them individually until giving his last, lingering stare at the rival leader Woohyun. L blankly stared at the three of them, giving one last look at Sungyeol and raising his eyebrow.

Sungyeol's school look was casual, something that Eye Candy would wear. It was not proper at all, but L really liked it. He let out a small smirk before turning around, placing his hand on Sunggyu's shoulder as the two of them walked away. 

Sungyeol was distracted by L's gaze, blinding him and leaving his feelings defenseless. He shook his head to get rid of the thought of him, confusing Woohyun and Hoya. They both did not understand his gestures. Sungyeol looked at his friends, who were expecting him to elaborate on his actions. "We have an essay due soon," Sungyeol lied.

"Well, not until Friday but we're getting there!" Woohyun replied.

"You'll probably finish your essay in a couple hours smart boy," Hoya teased, punching Sungyeol in the shoulder. 

"Whatever," Sungyeol smirked, grabbing onto his shoulder. 

Hoya finished taking cooking supplies from his locker and swung it closed. He turned to look at Sungyeol and Woohyun with a smile. "My parents are gone this weekend."

Woohyun's eyes lit up. "Time for another classic Lee Ho Won party for the history books?" slamming his locker closed.

"Spread the word! Tell your friends. Dancing, alcohol, and lots of fun. If you want we can even take our equipment from the music room and do a quick performance," Hoya suggested, putting his hand out.

"Always ready to perform," Woohyun exclaimed, placing his hand on top of Hoya's.

Hoya pointed at Sungyeol with his other hand. "We're going to need the hottest DJ for the party, and you know that I can only ask one person for that job."

Sungyeol smirked, displaying much confidence. "No one else in Seoul can do the job right," he declared, placing his hand on at the top of the pile.

 

Setting: Tuesday afternoon, L's bedroom

 

Dongwoo lay on his stomach on L's floor, his legs sprawled out for comfort and his upper body supported by a pillow. Dongwoo stuck a highlighter in his mouth as he looked at his laptop and kept a copy of Please Look After Mom open with his elbow. L lay on his bed with his laptop, his head and upper body supported by two different pillows. It was after school, and the two immediately headed back to L's apartment to start writing their essays for the book. Dongwoo struggled to type any kind of word, taking his highlighter and pretending to stab it in his head from writer's block. L rapidly typed as new ideas flew through his mind in the process, slamming on the keys hard enough to break them. The room was completely silent, both of them concentrating hard to finish their essays before the weekend.

"Myungsoo, can you help your sister out?" L's mom yelled out through his closed door.

L sat up from his bed quickly and closed his laptop, immediately springing off his bed and hurrying towards the door. As he walked L tripped over Dongwoo's legs, causing Dongwoo to spaz out and toss his highlighter in the air. L stumbled but saved himself by putting his hands out to regain his balance. "Sorry!" he apologized, turning around to look at Dongwoo. "Sorry sorry." L spun back around in the direction of the door, slamming the door with his shoulder to open it faster and leave his room. 

On his floor, Dongwoo closed his eyes in pain from being victim to L's clumsiness. He clenched his fist and pounded it on the ground, trying not to make a sound from getting hurt. He pushed himself up off his stomach and kneeled on the floor, trying to spot his highlighter. "Come on, come on." Dongwoo patted the floor, moving the pillow and laptop around to try and spot it. He duck his head, reaching under L's bed to pat for it. "Got it." He felt the base of the highlighter and yanked it from under his bed. Dongwoo got his highlighter, but the hook of the highlighter cap was connected to a pocket of a jacket. He blankly stared at the jacket and took it from under the bed. It was a crumpled blazer that collected a layer of dust. Dongwoo ruffled the blazer and noticed a sharpied name on the tag. Lee. Hm, Sungjong left his jacket here. Dongwoo lifted his head and grabbed his backpack on the floor, stuffing the jacket to the bottom of his backpack. 

The door flung open and L walked back into his room. "Sorry I hit you earlier."

Dongwoo placed his laptop in his backpack and slowly zipped it up. "No need to apologize." He stood up from the floor, strapping the backpack around his shoulder and throwing L's pillow back on his bed. "I'm gonna stop by Sunggyu's pool hall. I'm really tired of doing this essay, let's go," Dongwoo suggested, hitting L's shoulder.

His friend shook his head. "I'm in the zone, and I think if I lock myself in my room for another 2 hours I really think I could finish it," L said, rejecting the offer. He walked back to his bed and sat on the edge. He picked up his copy of Please Look After Mom lying next to his guitar and placed it in front of his mouth, staring at Dongwoo with puppy dog eyes.

"Oh yeah." Dongwoo remembered last Monday's encounter with Hana. He wanted to ask L about his tutor. "Can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

The awkward situation with Hana weirded him out, and he was initially surprised that L lied to him. He lifted his finger and opened his mouth, but at the last second hesitated to say anything. He saw L look back at him with cutesy eyes, seeming to invalidate his assumptions about anything. Dongwoo was not in the mood. He shrugged off the situation because he no longer wanted to think about literature. I can ask him about it later. "I'm done with literature," he smirked. Dongwoo saluted at L and turned around to leave his room.

 

Setting: Hoya's bedroom

 

"Let's go!" Hoya tapped his drumsticks together while lying down on his bed.

A cool record scratch played and echoed in Hoya's room. Another scratch hit the record, followed by a repetition of multiple scratches until a sudden beat dropped. Sungyeol sat down with crossed legs in front of Hoya's coffee table, bobbing his head as he played around with Hoya's DJ controller. Hoya received the controller as a gift from his uncle but never got interested in it. Sungyeol started using his DJ controller after messing around with it at a previous party and got into DJing. He played several notes on the controller pad, bobbing his head to each new note played.

Hoya bobbed his head and hit his drumsticks to the beat, occasionally making hand waves tuts in bed.

There was much momentum in each new note played. Sungyeol scratched one last time for a finale, turning up different controls for one final beat drop. Sungyeol put his hands up in the air. "Now that's how you do it," Sungyeol stood up and wavered his shoulders with arrogance.

Hoya threw his drumsticks on the floor. "Woooooo! That's right!" He extended his fist out to Sungyeol.

Sungyeol smiled and ran over to Hoya, giving him a fast fistbump before falling down in exhaustion next to his bed. "Aish- I want it," Sungyeol declared, referring to Hoya's DJ controller set. Sungyeol went over to Hoya's often to play on the controller because he could not afford to buy his own at the moment.

"I would give it to you no problem, but my mom will get mad at me," Hoya said, disheveling Sungyeol's hair. 

"Ya-" Sungyeol slapped Hoya's hand away to stop.

Hoya crossed his arms in bed. "By the way, it's been a while since the last time you came over to my apartment. I missed hanging out. How is your, um, new place?" 

Sungyeol leaned against the side of Hoya's bed and rested his head on top of it, touching Hoya's arm as he lay down. He sighed, feeling a little guilty for making excuses to ditch his friends and hang out with L. Hoya is one of my best friends. But Myungsoo. Sungyeol suddenly felt torn between his loyalties to the band and secret relationship with L. Sungyeol shrugged off his thoughts and answered the question. "Yongsan has its charm. I'm slowly understanding that it's not the end of the world and I'm really finding the beauty in that place. My apartment is on the roof and it overlooks the whole neighborhood," Sungyeol admitted.

He closed his eyes, thinking about not only the things but the people at his apartment. He imagined himself with his bass guitar, sitting outside and playing it by himself. Suddenly, in his imagination L walks in with his guitar, smiling at him. Sungyeol daydreamed that he motioned for L to sit next to him, smiling in real life the same way he did in his mind.

"It must be a nice place," Hoya said, patting Sungyeol's shoulder when he started to smile.

"Mwo?" Sungyeol opened his eyes and lifted his head, Hoya's touch waking him up from his dream. He looked around and saw that he was only in Hoya's room. "Ignore me," Sungyeol commanded.

He did not know what else to say to him and kept quiet, thinking that his feelings for L are growing but the circumstance prevents him from dating him freely. He tried to think of reasons why he should not like him this much. Why do I even like a guy who can't even get my band name right? I mean, what the is a Watermelon Ocean?  But overwhelming thoughts on why he liked him came to light. Because he's honest. Sungyeol buried his face in his hands, still staying completely silent.

His hand gestures perplexed Hoya.

"You're always confusing," Hoya said, rolling his eyes.

 

Setting: Tuesday night, Sunggyu's pool hall

 

With much concentration Sungjong used blue chalk to wipe the tip of his pool stick for an even layer. He placed the blue chalk on the edge of the pool table and began his approach. Sunggyu and Sungjong were neck-in-neck with a game, leaving the leader with two stripes and the maknae with one solid. Sungjong took his pool stick and aimed it at an orange solid, which was perfectly in line with the cue ball. He brought his stick back and meticulously placed his fingers on the table for target. Sungjong bit his tongue, bringing his hand back for the execute.

"What's up guys!?" Dongwoo yelled as he walked to the pool table.

The surprise entrance startled Sungjong. He dropped the stick and hit it at a different angle than he had intended, perfectly aimed towards the 8-ball. "No no no." Sungjong reached out with his hand to try and stop the ball, but the cue ball hit the 8-ball and hit it into the corner pocket. He dropped his stick, bending over the pool table and burying his face in his arms to cry.

"I win! I win!" Sunggyu exclaimed, slamming the stick to the ground and pointing at his maknae laughing. 

"It was a formality!" Sungjong shrilled, his voice cracking in disappointment.

Dongwoo watched from the sidelines as this all happened, scratching the back of his head. "Sorry Sungjong," he apologized with a friendly grin.

"No," Sungjong stated, still hovering over the table.

"Well, what if I told you I had a gift to make you feel better?!" Dongwoo dropped his backpack on the floor and ped it, He carefully took out his laptop to uncover the rumpled blazer stuffed at the bottom of his bag. He excitedly pulled the blazer out of his backpack when card fell from one of the pockets. Mwo? Dongwoo picked it up, revealing to be a student ID card for Woollim High. One quick glance, and Dongwoo's eyes widened. A familiar picture appeared on the card of a person with very distinct features of his hair, cheeks, and earrings. The name was also familiar.

Lee Sungyeol. 

"Hyung, what are you going to give me?" Sungjong asked.

Dongwoo quickly stuffed the ID card in his pocket before Sunggyu and Sungjong could see, bewildered by the discovery. Lee means, Lee Sungyeol? Not Lee Sungjong? Why did L have Lee Sungyeol's blazer? He blinked his eyes several times, trying to put the puzzle pieces together.

He did notice this morning that Sungyeol did not have a jacket or sweatervest, trying to understand the situation. He didn't have it because it was at L's apartment? He placed the blazer back in his backpack, punching it to the bottom of the bag. Dongwoo did not know how to react. "Sorry, I forgot the gift."

 

Setting: Wednesday afternoon, men's restroom

 

"Wow Myungsoo, I can't believe you finished this essay before I did." Sungyeol flipped the pages of L's five-page essay, holding a red pen and following every line carefully.

"And?" L questioned, was expecting an opinion about the essay.

L dragged Sungyeol to the bathroom after school to have his essay proofread. He finished his essay an hour after Dongwoo left, one of the fastest essays L had ever written in his life. Sungyeol leaned against a bathroom stall while L sat on top of the sink counter, waiting in anticipation for Sungyeol's opinion. L had never felt proud of any school assignent in his life.

"I've fixed for you all of the spelling and grammatical errors, but other than that the main points of your essay are really good. Your comparisons with So-Nyo and Mary are pretty spot on. Damn, were you that bored yesterday," Sungyeol snided.

"Woah," L put his hands out in an effort to justify his sudden studiousness. This guy is still an . He his lips and stared at Sungyeol with a smug look. "I had the idea juices flowing in me. Also, Thursday I have to take care of my sister after tutoring so I figured I should finish the essay now. It wasn't that bad. You were right, it is a good book," L agreed. He nodded his head to affirm his comment.

"Told you," Sungyeol sneered, pushing himself forward off the stall to walk towards L. Sungyeol pushed the essay onto L's chest and leaned in to kiss him. L grabbed onto his collar to kiss him more, but Sungyeol and gently pulled back to say something. "Tutoring cancelled tomorrow."

"No tutoring?" L raised his eyebrow.

"You have to take care of your sister. And I'm going to come with you guys," Sungyeol declared, inviting himself to L's babysitting session. He backed away from the sink and smiled, turning around to walk out of the door without leaving L to respond. His shoulders were swaying for coolness aas he exited.

L was still sitting down on the counter, shaking his head in disgust and embarrassment for Sungyeol. I can never read that guy. I swear, who does he think he is? I never know what he's going to do next. His essay dropped on his lap. L picked it up and turned the pages of his essay.

Each page had its fair share of red ink for spelling errors and grammatically-wrong phrases. Some comments on the margins included "don't say 'I think' because it means you don't believe in your opinion" and "do you own a dictionary?" L chuckled looking at his mistakes, turning to the last page of his essay which was the conclusion. There was nothing done to the conclusion but a written note at the bottom of the page. "I don't know where we go from here, but all I know is that you're worth the risk," L read to himself. The note referred to the question he asked Sungyeol the first time they had kissed. He looked down at the paper and reread the note in his head. His heart started to race. 

 

(((())))

 

Woohyun and Hoya sat down on the floor in front of their lockers, waiting for Sungyeol to come back from talking to the principal.

At least, that was what Sungyeol told his bandmates he was going to do. Woohyun was reading his copy of Please Look After Mom while Hoya was listening to pop music on his mp3 player, making hand motions to the beat of the song. Both of them were occupied and did not notice anything in their surroundings.

"Ya-" A hovering shadow broke Woohyun and Hoya's concentration. They looked up and saw Dongwoo above them.

Woohyun and Hoya immediately sprung from the ground to stand up at Dongwoo eye-level. "What do you want now?" Hoya groaned.

Dongwoo wanted to get down to business. There was something going on between L and Sungyeol and he was trying to find out what it was. He wanted to resolve this situation and find out Sungyeol's weekly schedule, figuring the best way to inquire about Lee Sungyeol was to directly ask Strawberry Fields themselves. He was hoping to find things that aligned with what L had previously told him. "You still don't have your jacket?" 

"Nope, and it shouldn't matter to you," Hoya snided.

"Why are you here?" the leader asked, crossing his arms and biting his lip.

Dongwoo took a deep breath and started to talk on the exhale. "I'm just curious..."

An arm wrapped around Dongwoo, sending uncomfortable chills down his spine. His hair brushed against Dongwoo's ear, making him flinch. "I think you should go," the voice said.

Dongwoo squirmed to get out of his touch. Sungyeol came back to his band and put his arm around the Eye Candy member to scare him. Dongwoo backed away. Woohyun and Hoya stepped forward to surround Dongwoo. He was outnumbered by an annoyed Strawberry Fields. Leaving him immobile, Dongwoo's mouth became dry from seeing Sungyeol. I'm not going to ask right now. Dongwoo his lips and felt pressured to leave. He did not want to started a fight and walked down the hallway, already reconsidering his old plans and trying to think of a way to find Sungyeol out.

"I'm going to figure this out and what the hell you're doing to my friend," Dongwoo mumbled to himself.

 


What's going to happen next? Dongwoo is close to figuring out their relationship, Sungyeol is going on a date with L and Dasom. And a party coming up soon? Expect things to heat up within the next 2 chapters! Thank you for all of your support, votes, subscribers, comments. It's support like this that make me think of ways to extend the fanfic longer. Stay tuned! :D