Please Look After Mom

Shut Up and Love Me!

Setting: After Eye Candy and Strawberry Field's first encounter in the hallway.

 

Dongwoo and L walked into their literature, looking at each other then everyone in the class. They all looked like they came out of Boys Over Flowers. It was no secret that everyone at this school was rich. Girls had shirts ironed by their maids before going to school. The guys had perfect ties and brushed hair. Everyone at this school is dropped off by a driver, but it was different for Sunggyu, Dongwoo, L, and Sungjong.

It's also no secret that Eye Candy  was transferred from a poor school 2 weeks ago. A lot of rumors spread around the school about whether the Eye Candy boys were bed. From stealing to vandalism to beating people up, everyone was interested in them. Of course they were only rumors. Sure they were not as privileged as everyone else, but all they cared about was the music. If there was one significant rumor spread around by the students, it was that the Eye Candy boys were the hottest people theWoollim High has ever seen grace their campus. L had his white headphones on his ears and Dongwoo brushing his bangs to his side, both of them visually appealing to the class in a bad boy way that had everyone swoon. Everyone girl in class looked at them as if Greek gods walked in and graced them with their presence. The guys in class hated their entrance, especially Sungyeol and Woohyun, who sat in the back of the classroom.

Woohyun, Hoya, and Sungyeol were members of the previous king band of campus, Strawberry Fields. Their flower boy aura mixed with rock had fan girls at their every whim, the three of them considered one of the most talented and gorgeous people on campus. When Eye Candy got transfered to their school, the balance of music and high school bands changed. Now they were rivals, fighting for the attention and affection of their school and the high school band underground.

Even after weeks of attending class, everyone still treats Dongwoo and L's entrance like it's the second coming. Every girl wanted some Eye Candy.

"We need to find a seat," L whispered to Dongwoo.

The classroom had 5 rows and 3 columns with the desks paired with each other. There was no assigned seating so the seats change every week according to whoever came into class first. The two of them looked around and only saw two empty seats both right in front of Strawberry Fields. In their first 2 weeks at the school, this would be their first time sitting next to them.

"Not in a million years," Dongwoo firmly said, holding L back with his arm.

The both of them looked at each. "We don't have any other choice." L put his arm down and pushed Dongwoo forward. "Act cool."

The two of them walked down the aisle with all eyes on them. When they passed a girl's desk, the girls squeeled behind them. "He's cute!" "He has great eyes." "I LOVE HIS !" The guys in class looked at them in disgust, wondering what exactly was so special about them.

They arrived at the two empty desks and were about to sit down when Woohyun and Sungyeol both dropped their backpacks on the desk chairs.

"These two seats are taken," said the Strawberry Fields leader, who stood up from his desk and pointed at Dongwoo.

"I don't see your names on any of these desks," L retorted, picking up Sungyeol's backpack and getting ready to throw it.

"Don't even think about it," Sungyeol barked back, grabbing L's wrist just in time before he threw the backpack. "I don't think you want to mess with me."

"What is going on right now?" The four of them looked to the front of the class and saw their teacher standing in front. "Do all of you want detentions?"

The all bowed in a short panic. "Annyeong, josonghapnida Mr. Go." Sungyeol grabbed his backpack away from L and Dongwoo threw Woohyun's bag at him before the four of them sat down.

L rolled his eyes. "This is going to be fun."

Sungyeol kicked L's chair, sandwiching him between the desk and chair. L stayed as quiet as possible to avoid interrupting the class and silently endured it. I am going to kick your when we get out of here Sungyeol.

Woohyun leaned over to whisper in Dongwoo's ear. "Where are the other two losers?"

Dongwoo chuckled and shook his head, his smile bringing much confidence in his answer. "History. Where's the other strawberry nugu?"

Woohyun bit his lip, a little embarrassed to answer the question. "Cooking class," he mumbled.

The members of Eye Candy looked at each other and snickered covering their mouths so that no one could hear them.

Mr. Go took out a stack of papers from his briefcase and flipped the corners. "I'll be returning everyone's test today from the test we took last week." He s around the desks to pass out tests to everyone. "Some people received very good scores."

Dongwoo had his feet on his desk and reclined his chair to sleep. Woohyun flicked Dongwoo's forehead to wake up, which shocked him to wake up. "What's your problem?" Dongwoo asked as he turned around to look at Woohyun.

"And some of you didn't do as well..." Mr. Go said as he passed tests to the four of them.

L reluctantly grabbed his test, knowing that he spent all of the night before the test playing the guitar. The results were not all surprising. L scored a 12/100. "Hyung, this test was stupid." He passed his test to Dongwoo to show him when he opened his eyes in shock: Dongwoo got an 81 on the test. "How did you do that?" L hit his test and lowered his head on his desk. 

The Strawberry Fields boys peeked over to look at their tests. Sungyeol was not all shocked by L's grade, but surprisingly he stayed quiet and did not aggravate him. On the contrary, Woohyun chuckled and hit L's back. "Can you believe we're 2nd years in high school, and some people are still succcessful at scoring practically a zero?"

"You're asking for it," Dongwoo said, swiping Woohyun's hand away from L's back.

After passing all of the tests, Mr. Go returned to the front of the classroom to talk to the class. "The test average was a 72. The test wasn't bad, but the lowest score in the class pulled the average significantly lower. So to whoever scored a 12 on the test..."

You've got to be kidding me, L thought to himself as he hid his face in his arms to hide his red cheeks.

"... I've set you up with a tutor, the student who scored the highest on the test. I've set an appointment for you two to meet after school. It would be in your best interest to attend."

Woohyun could not contain his laughter and had to cover his face. He leaned over to whisper in Dongwoo's ear. "I hope you realize that if you're not in good academic standing, they will not allow you to participate in the competition."

Dongwoo took his hand and pushed Woohyun's face back. He looked back and saw Sungyeol who was quiet, staring blankly at the front of the class. Dongwoo brushed it off and lowered his head on the desk to talk to his friend. "I hate to say it, but that jerk is right. We've been working towards this for a really long time, since we were 10-years-old. We won't let this happen to you" He rubbed his friend's back in circles.

The idea of a tutor made L feel very uncomfortable. He was always the cool one, the one who got all the girls, the one whose eyes melted your heart, but he could not even get a C in class? He had to put his pride aside. L had one motivation and knew what he had to do. Sunggyu will kick my if we get disqualified.

 

Setting: The school library

 

Sunggyu, Dongwoo, and Sungjong pushed L through the glass library doors. L tried to escape and run, trying to push Sunggyu out of the way. Sungjong held Myungsoo by the waist to hold him back.

"I'm not getting kicked out of the competition because you're dumb!" Sunggyu yelled at him.

"Don't make me do this!" L cried. He broke free of Sungjong's grip and started crawling under Dongwoo's legs.

"Don't be a baby!"

Sunggyu and Sungjong picked L up from under Dongwoo's legs and practically flipped him over. They pushed him into the library, causing him to stumble and fall. The three Eye Candy members closed the library doors as fast as possible. Sungjong and Sunggyu leaned on each door and Dongwoo held both of the door handles together. L had no escape.

"Kim Myungsoo, do it for the team," Dongwoo mouthed to him.

The visual glared at all of them, fixing his blazer and brushing his bangs to the side. Why is this happening?! He rolled his eyes and stuck his tongue at everyone.

The three of them looked laughed at him and pointed. Through the door window, Sunggyu, Dongwoo, and Sungjong mouthed in unison "er".

L smirked and raised his eyebrow. I might as well just get this over with, I can get over anything. He started to walk towards the library circulation desk. He saw the school librarian Ms. Kwon sitting at the desk. He squinted his eyes and saw a clipboard with the words "Tutor Schedule" on it. Shaking his head, he walked quickly over to her and bowed. "Annyeong, Kim Myungsoo imnida. I'm looking for my... uhh..."

"Tutor?" L turned around and saw Sungyeol casually studying at the table behind him with his books out. On his desk he had the current book their literature class was reading, Please Look After Mom

The Eye Candy visual looked left and right and saw that no one else was in the library. "Fancy to find you here. I've been looking for a quiet place to teach you a lesson for being annoying."

"Mr. Lee is your tutor as requested by the literature teacher Mr. Go," the librarian said.

"MWO!?" L put his hands on the desk and looked at Ms. Kwon. "Chincha? Is this a joke?"

The librarian looked at L nervously as Sungyeol laughed quietly to himself. "Lee Sungyeol is ranked #1 in all of grade 2," Ms. Kwon said.

To his disbelief, L's pride completely disappeared. This raspberry grass nugu is the smartest person in class? L slowly turned around and saw Sungyeol smiling at him, as if saying that Sungyeol won this round. His smile was gummy and his eyes looked excited proving to L he is better than him.

"Your cheeks are fat when you smile," L retorted, walking over to the desk.

Sungyeol's smile turned into a frown. He shook his head to snap out of it and grabbed Please Look After Mom and quickly threw it at L like a frisbee. L looked startled, but with fast reflexes was able to catch the book. "Nice catch... Myungsoo?"

"No one calls me Myungsoo," L said, who sat down at the table and looked at the book cover. 

"It's a nice name! I think I'm going to call you that from now on," Sungyeol said with a wink, pointing at L's nose and flicking it.

"You're really trying to push my buttons." L glared at him. He his lips as he rolled his eyes.

Sungyeol adjusted his seat to sit comfortably. He was stuck with L for the next hour, but he had obligations to tutor him. "Let's get started."

"I wouldn't have thought in a million years you were the smartest person in this school," L said, sliding the book on the table back to Sungyeol. L slid his chair closer to Sungyeol and pointed at his chest to threaten him. "I wonder how many private lessons your mom and dad have paid for. I mean, if your parents want you to go to Yonsei or Seoul then it makes sense."

This accusation made Sungyeol feel uncomfortable, almost feeling a cool sweat drip down the back of his neck. It almost angered him. "Stop making assumptions about me." Sungyeol pushed L's shoulder away. He picked up the book and pushed it against L's chest. "Have you read this book?"

"Of course I haven't read the book." L threw the book towards Sungyeol's face.

Sungyeol caught it with his hands before it hit him. "I figured. Chincha, what did Mr. Go put me through..." he mumbled to himself.

 

(((())))

 

The two of them spent the next hour talking about the plot of the story. Please Look After Mom is a mystery revolving around a missing mom and the search for her. To much of their surprise, once the insults ended they worked very well together. Sungyeol was a fairly good tutor, slowing down for L whenever he was unable to understand something. L followed almost every word Sungyeol said, who explained the book in very simple terms. Of course, Sungyeol had to explain it in simple terms because he was talking to the class failure. All of the complicated words and jargon started to make more sense. At the end of their tutoring session, they both came out alive with no bloodshed.

"The library will be closing in 10 minutes", Ms. Kwon announced. The only two people in the library was the two of them. She stood up from her desk and walked to the library office to start closing up.

"That was surprisingly... helpful," L said dumbfoundedly, looking at Sungyeol who was packing his backpack.

Sungyeol put all of his notebooks and other textbooks in his backpack except Please Look After Mom. "Keep the book, I bought that copy for you. I knew you wouldn't have majority of our class's books," Sungyeol said. He slid the book towards L. "Myungsoo, do yourself a favor and read this book. I think Eye Candy will be quite upset if you don't. Also, I think it's a good book." Sungyeol zipped his backpack and threw it around his shoulder. "I'll meet you again next week at the same time," and he started walking away.

"Woah," L jolted from his seat and walked in front of Sungyeol and put his hand out to stop him. "First of all, you call me L. Second of all, I don't get why you bought me this book. It's not like I can't afford books, I just don't feel like reading them. Lastly, I don't want books bought with your mom's money." L picked up the book from the desk and shoved it against Sungyeol's chest, stumbling back and tripping to the floor.

Sungyeol was shocked and bit his lip. He was speechless what to say. Instead of trying to out-talk L, he stayed quiet and tried to pick himself off the floor.

"What, cat caught your tongue?" L leaned over and inched his head closer and closer to Sungyeol's until their noses touched.  Their eyes met and the two of them stared at each other. "I'm not a pity case you can put on your college application." L pushed Sungyeol back once again, who got pushed into one of the chairs and fell to the ground a second time.

Sungyeol looked up at L who was standing over him. He picked himself up and noticed that the sleeve of his jacket ripped. A frustrated Sungyeol tried to put the sleeve together but it was no use. Sungyeol was holding the book and furiously threw it back at L's feet. "My mom is dead."

The look on L's face turned from arrogance to confusion. Sungyeol made eye contact with him as he got up from the floor and gave him a glare of shame. L averted his eyes to avoid any eye contact with Sungyeol, suddenly feeling like his heart was going to implode. L opened his mouth to try and speak, but no words came out.

Sungyeol put his backpack on and picked up the broken sleeve. He slammed his backpack against L's shoulder, knocking L back before he walked away.