The Chaser

Shut Up and Love Me!

I just wanted to say that so far, I have had the most fun writing this chapter. It's different from other chapters because everything happens at the same place here, Sungjong's parents' club Heads Up. I hope you enjoy this as much as I did :D

Also, I just discovered that you can reply to comments on this website. Expect a ton of replies in the next few days.

 


Setting: Itaewon-gu

 

Dark clouds gathered over Seoul on Saturday night, bringing the heaviest downpours the city has seen in a while. Everyone hurriedly walked down city streets with big umbrellas to avoid the rain, pushing each other to walk under the building awnings. The rain slowed down traffic, cars idle on the street and honking at each other to move. The weather slowed down many citzens that night trying to get home.

But it didn't slow down Eye Candy. The four friends walked down Itaewon-gu in the pouring rain, the four of them holding instruments over their heads to shield themselves from rain as well as pulling suitcases of more equipment. From the subway, they walked half an hour in the rain to get to their gig.

"Alright, who's idea was it to take the subway?" Dongwoo whined.

"I know, hyung why didn't we just call a taxi? It's pouring!" the maknae complained, pouting and spitting rain water out of his mouth.

"Aish, this saves us the most money. Come on, we're almost there," Sunggyu assured s, using his guitar case to point towards a purple sign that said Heads Up. 

After struggling to carry the instruments, seeing the sign gave the 4 friends strength to walk a little faster. With every closer inch, Eye Candy ran faster, the rain poured harder, drenching their clothes and hair. There was no time to complain anymore, they were so close to the prize. Sunggyu, Dongwoo, L, and Sungjong finally reached the entrance of the club and ran under the awning. Immediately after they dropped all their equipment on the floor, relieving them back and arm pains. Three muscular men from security came out of the club.

"ID," one of them asked.

As they got their IDs out, the two other bodyguards picked up their equipment to carry backstage. 

"Alright, go in," the bodyguard said, walking back inside the club.

Eye Candy grinned as they got back their IDs. They gathered together under the awning to put their arms around each other and give each other a big group hug. They jumped up and down like little kids until they settled and put their hands in. 

"Are you ready for this?" Sunggyu yelled out.

Eye Candy roared to the sky, releasing their hands in the air. They all pushed each other to go through the bar doors.

Sungjong has always talked about how amazing the bar was, but it was better than the other three had initially expected. The bar had blacklights all over the walls, except for the front stage where they would perform. The strobe lights dangled all over the ceiling, illuminating green, yellow, and purple around the bar. The walls were checkered black and white with a hardwood floor, making the place look modern yet old-fashioned. It was 30 minutes before the show, and people were already gathered around the stage waiting for their concert. L, Sunggyu, and Dongwoo were in awe.

"Honey," an older lady walked from the stage towards the four of them holding four backstage passes.

"Mom!" Sungjong left his friends momentarily to talk to his mom, kissing her and receiving the backstage passes.

"I'm going to go to the bathroom," L announced.

Sunggyu and Dongwoo looked at each other worriedly, remembering what Woohyun and Hoya told them on Friday. They realized that someone needs to be with L at all times so Sunggyu pushed Dongwoo's shoulder, causing him to step forward and bump into L. "I need to go also," Dongwoo said robotically.

The two of them walked to the men's room. The bathrooms looked just as nice as the bar itself. The walls were also checkered black and white and the room was illuminated with hanging blue lights that looked like icicles.

L walked to a urinal to take care of business, ping his pants and starting to pee. Dongwoo hesitated following him, thinking of a way to guard him while he goes to the bathroom. Casually, Dongwoo started whistle loudly in the bathroom and walked over to L. He hovered his hands over L's shoulders until he decided to turn around and lean his back on L's back while he went number one. Dongwoo continued to whistle.

L stopped peeing.

"... get the hell off of me," L declared, using pushing him away with his hand.

"No can do," Dongwoo said, looking around the bathroom as if he was doing nothing wrong.

"Get off of me or I'm gonna do the unthinkable," L threatened.

Dongwoo hesitated and backed off from his back, running his hands smoothly through his hair as if nothing happened. Quite frankly Dongwoo had no idea what he meant by unthinkable, but it was good enough for him to leave him alone. The two of them stayed silent in the bathroom. 

L zipped up his pants and walked to the sink to wash his hands. He was bent over soaping his hands when he noticed a shadow in the reflection of the mirror. Dongwoo was creepily hovering his head over L's shoulder while he soaped his hands, grinning like an idiot. "Dude!" 

 

(((())))

 

"Hyung, I got the backstage passes!" Sungjong ran back to Sunggyu, swinging around four backstage passes that had each Eye Candy member's name on it.

Sunggyu grabbed his backstage pass and wore it around his neck, brushing his full name on the plastic tag with his thumb. "This is real, Sungjong!"

"Do any of those name tags have our names on it?"

Sunggyu and Sungjong looked at each other in annoyance, recognizing that voice. Their favorite boys were back. Strawberry Fields had just arrived at the bar. "Hey Woohyun," Sunggyu said, not even bothering to turn around and look at them.

It was an unusual scene to see the members of Strawberry Fields in casual dress. Even though their school had uniforms, they were the neatest of the neat with perfectly ironed clothing and everything buttoned to perfection. This time, they sported different patterned button ups, Woohyun and Hoya styling it up with a leather jacket while Sungyeol just had a black caridgan. Strawberry Fields members walked towards Sunggyu and Sungjong, fitting themselves in their group so that the five of them made a circle.

"Wow, I never thought I'd see the day where I see your boxers," Sunggyu remarked.

Unlike most days at school when Woohyun's pants are perfectly belted, today his jeans were sagged down, revealing blue plaid boxers. Woohyun started to blush.

"Practice enough?" Hoya asked, getting right to it.

"Practicing is for people who aren't ready. We've been ready, and now we're just waiting," Sungjong said with great confidence, staring down Hoya.

"Well good! Then it should be a good show," Woohyun grinned with a wink.

"So," Sungyeol put his arms around Sunggyu and Sungjong. "Where are the others?"

"We're right here." Dongwoo and L walked up all of them with hands crossed. Dongwoo stared Sungyeol down and walked in front of him until their noses almost touched, looking at him eye-to-eye. "It wouldn't be an audience without our favorite people here." 

"I'm glad that you all could make it today," L chimed, slowly his lips. "After this show, I hope you guys won't be mad when you realize how much you need to practice before our competition."

"You talk with your head in the clouds," Sungyeol snapped. He pushed Dongwoo to the side and started walking towards L. Sungyeol held his hand out to grab L's shirt.

Sunggyu, Dongwoo, and Sungjong both noticed Sungyeol motion towards L. The three of them looked at each other distressed, unsure what Sungyeol was going to do. The hyungs pushed each other, arguing and trying to get the other one to do something. Something was going to happen to L tonight, and they had to stop it.

Sungjong panicked: Sungyeol was inches away from getting to L, Woohyun and Hoya were laughing on the side, and Suggyu and Dongwoo were not doing anything to help the situation. Sungjong took a look at L, who was fearlessly looking at Sungyeol and standing hi ground. Everything was a mess, and the maknae did the best thing he could do at that moment.

"YA!" Sungjong yelled impulsively, taking an leap towards Sungyeol and jumping on him to viciously tackle. The angry maknae wrapped his arms around the rival visual and pulled his head back while screaming, making Sungyeol lose his balance and stumble to the ground. 

Everyone could not believe their eyes as the skinniest and frailest person between all of them took down the tallest person of the group. L's jaw dropped from watcing the scene unfold, unknowing of what was going on. Sunggyu and Dongwoo held onto each other in silence, their eyes the widest they had ever seen. Woohyun and Hoya jumped back, both of them also holding onto each other fearing the wrath of the unsuspecting Eye Candy member.  

Sunggyu looked around and saw everyone frozen to watching Sungjong scream like a girl and Sungyeol try to tackle him. The leader saw this as a good opportunity for them to get L away from Strawberry Fields.

Sunggyu hurriedly walked towards L, pushing both Hoya and Woohyun over to slip and fall to the ground. He quickly linked arms with L and dragged him away to go backstage. L was confused by Sungjong's sudden attack, and as he was dragged away he gave one last look at Sungyeol, who was screaming for Sungjong to get off.

Dongwoo understood what Sunggyu was doing, and he bent down to hook his arms under Sungjong's shoulders and pull him off of Sungyeol. "We have to go!" Dongwoo yelled. 

"No! Let me at him!" the maknae was furious, getting in the sudden mood of fighting. As Dongwoo pulled him up, Sungjong kicked Sungyeol's . 

"DUDE!" Sungyeol screamed. "You better run, cause when I get up..."

Dongwoo and Sungjong hastily paced towards backstage to follow Sunggyu and L, leaving all 3 Strawberry Fields members on the ground. 

 

(((())))

 

Sunggyu pulled L towards backstage with Dongwoo and Sungjong closely following from behind. The leader looked left and right to find a place to rest away from Strawberry Fields and saw a door that led to the back entrance of the club. Sunggyu pointed towards the door, and everyone obeyed their leader to walk outside.

As they opened the door, a loud boom of thunder echoed in the club. The four of them peeped their heads out the door and saw the rain pour harder than it did earlier. Sunggyu shook his head. Everyone was already wet from the walk to the bar, and he did not want to deal with anything else. He closed the back door and everyone formed a circle next to it, settling before their competition and their altercation with Strawberry Fields.

"Here are your backstage passes," Sungjong reached into his back pocket and revealed two passes for Dongwoo and L, who were in the bathroom earlier. 

"Alright, why did you do that?!" L yelled at Sungjong grabbing his backstage pass away from him, addressing the obvious that the maknae viciously attacked Sungyeol. "You know if anyone from security, or even your mom, saw us attack we would have been kicked out of the bar!" L felt sorry for sounding harsh, but a lot of thoughts ran through his mind. He really was angry. He was frustrated with two things: Eye Candy could have been kicked out of the bar, and deep down inside L was offended that Sungjong attacked Sungyeol. 

Dongwoo put his arm around Sungjong and pulled him close. "Leave Sungjong alone. We only did it because we're protecting you from Sungyeol!"

Protecting? L was really confused now, scratching his head and squinting his eyes. Did they find out about him tutoring me? L's face turned pale. "What do you guys know?"

Dongwoo took a quick glance at Sunggyu for permission to explain the story. Sunggyu nodded at him. Dongwoo gulped. "Woohyun told Sungjong and Sunggyu after school that their band is going to 'give it' to you after our gig."

L crossed his arms. "Give it to me?" he sang to the tune of Sistar, twiddling his fingers. His palms started to sweat and his heart started pumping, realizing that he had been caught hanging out with Sungyeol.

"No!" Sunggyu stepped forward so that he could explain the situation in a non-roundabout way. "You did something to Sungyeol, and now he's going to beat you up for it."

L let out a sigh, which for him was one of relief that his friends were still in the dark that Sungyeol was his tutor, but he could not help but wonder what Sungyeol told them. I need to stay in character. L blinked several times before letting out a small smirk. "That guy has nothing on me," L assured. L put his arms around Sunggyu and Sungjong, pulling the members closer to him for a huddle. Sunggyu and Dongwoo linked arms till they were together in a circle, their bodies hunched over and their heads touching. "Coconut Beach have nothing on us. They think they rule Woollim? Tonight is going to be a sample of what what we can do before we blow them out of the water during the competition. All hands in."

The four members of Eye Candy looked at each other and put their hands in.

"What do we do?!" L yelled,

"SHUT UP AND RUN!!!!" All of them put their hands out and jumped around, punching each other to pump each other up for their performance. 

Sunggyu clapped his hands together. "Let's go tune," he announced. 

Dongwoo, L, and Sungjong followed Sunggyu towards a stack of instruments in the corner. Dongwoo inspected the cases and observed there were only three cases backstage stacked in alphabetical order: Jang Dongwoo, Kim Sunggyu, Lee Sungjong. 

"Ya, Kim Myungsoo where's your case?" Dongwoo asked, taking apart the pile of instruments.

L searched the corner pile and could not spot his bass while everyone else had started to unpack their instruments. He walked away from the group and examined the area. There was no case around with his name Kim Myungsoo. Shibbal. L rubbed his hands in his face, scared that his bass guitar got stolen. The other members were consumed in putting their instruments together that he did not try to bother them with questions and ask.

L rushed for the side door to exit backstage and walked back into the main bar, frantically looking for his bass.

Outside. 

L thought that maybe security forgot to get his instrument and dashed for the main entrance, pushing the attendees around him to clear the path. He escaped the crowd and reached the front door, pushing it open. It was still pouring, but L walked away from the awning to try and find his bass case. The rain beat down L, who was getting drenched from the rain. No sign of his bass. He bit his lip, defeated. He opened his mouth and was about to scream out to the clouds.

"Looking for this?"

L turned around and saw a tall guy with red hair holding his bass at the entrance. He flashed a quick grin and took a step towards L, who was still standing in the rain. He walked up to the edge of the awning and saw the rain drip off the canvas roof. He took a deep breath and took a step forward into the rain to reach L. Both of them were getting soaked.

Sungyeol brought the guitar case to L, who was frowning at him. He snatched the case away from him. "Where did you find this?"

"After your maknae jumpkicked me, I noticed it at the entrance," Sungyeol explained.

"Why didn't you just give it to security?" L was emotionally drained from thinking he lost his bass. "I was worried about this."

"Cause I knew you were going to come out, and I wanted to personally..." Sungyeol reached into his front pocket, pulling something out with a fist. He opened his hand and revealed a shiny green guitar pick made from seashell. "Whenever I perform, this is my lucky pick for a good performance. I don't use it when I play the bass and I highly doubt you'll use it for yours tonight, but I keep it with me in my pocket anyways."

With such a personal confession, L had no response. He had calmed down from temporarily losing his bass, staying still from Sungyeol's gift. He extended his palm out and Sungyeol tilted his hand for the guitar pick to gently fall on his hand. L used his thumb to feel the seashell material and wrapped his thumb around the edges.

"Also, you play the acoustic guitar more than me. And you only use your hands, probably from being used to strumming a bass without it. But I want you to have it," Sungyeol smiled.

L took a closer look at the pick and saw that it wasn't just green, but had glints of purple and blue in its color. He felt like the something was repeatedly punching his heart. L could not understand why Sungyeol would do something like this, giving his good luck charm into L's possession. This was what Sungyeol was going to "give" to me. But why me?

"Are you Kim Myungsoo?" One of the bar's security walked out.

The two of them turned to look at the entrance. "Yeah," L said, putting the guitar pick in his pocket. He hugged his bass and looked at Sungyeol. "I have to go."  

Sungyeol lost his smile when L announced that he had to go back. "Alright. I'll stand back so that we don't go in together," he said, trying to keep up the character he plays.

L nodded his head, and turned around to walk back inside. He continued hugging his guitar case, taking deep breaths. His heart was racing, unable to explain the feeling. He looked to the side and at the corner of his eye caught Sungyeol.

Sungyeol was still standing in the rain completely immobile. unable to move a single body part. His heart was also racing, but it skipped a beat the second L walked away. As L almost approached the doors, Sungyeol saw him turn as if he had one last thing to say. Instead, L turned his head and moved on forward to push the door open. Sungyeol held his breath, but let it go when he saw L go back into the bar. Wait... come back.

 

(((())))

"HOW'S IT GOING TONIGHT!?" Sunggyu yelled.
 
The crowd went wild, everyone in the bar jumping with their hands in the air. The bar was completely packed to the door, everyone squeezing to fit inside. "EYE CANDY! EYE CANDY!" the crowd chanted over and over again. 
 
Sunggyu panned the stage and saw Dongwoo, L, and Sungjong smiling back to the crowd. The leader panned the audience to see the faces that came. Some were their personal fan girls, calling out "oppa saranghae" throughout each song. Some people were unamused. He caught Woohyun, Hoya, and Sungyeol standing in the middle with indifferent stares, not moving a single inch in the crowd. Many people from Woollim High attended their gig and took the area closest to the stage, but many attendees were random people trying to have a good time on a rainy Saturday Night. He closed his eyes, trying to take in every single voice cheering the band on. "This is our last song of the night! It's a song our bassist L wrote himself called 'The Chaser'."
 
Sungyeol's eyes widened. Wow, he wrote a song?
 
The crowd went wild. Fan girls started chanting L's name as he walked closer to the stage, raising his eyebrow to give a cool look. He his lips, making the girls stand in front go nuts. He laughed at himself, then proceeded to start the song. "1, 2, 3, 4!"
 
With L's cue, Sungjong started clacking his drumsticks together to start the song, followed by the rest playing their guitars in unison. Eye Candy started nodding their heads, getting into the song and jumping around to play with each other while dancing. Their intro grew progressively louder with each note played. The crowd started jumping up and down, dancing to the song. Sunggyu opened his mouth to start singing, causing fangirls in the front to scream louder.
 
"Mianhe ma
Dokhage nal borigo ttonado dwe
Niga wonhandamyon geure Good bye
Hona ne mamkkaji jobeun gonanya.
Nae sarangi igyo."
 
The song went on. L started smiling while he was singing, nodding his head with each pluck. He stuck his tongue out at the audience, getting more girls to squeal. L his lips and scanned the audience, noticing Strawberry Fields standing in the middle. Woohyun and Hoya both had their arms crossed, deadly staring at Eye Candy performing. Hoya covered Woohyun's ear to tell him something in the noisy room, causing the both of them to laugh really hard while they were performing. L brushed it off.
 
That was when he noticed Sungyeol, who was standing behind his group. Sungyeol cooly had his hands in his pocket but unlike the other two, Sungyeol was nodding his head to the music while blankly looking at the stage. L looked at him, hoping that Sungyeol would also look at him while he performed. In every second he gazed at Sungyeol, he had that feeling like his heart was once again getting punched. His heart started to race again, causing L toaccidentally play a wrong note.
 
Sungyeol was enjoying the song, nodding his head while he looked on stage. Suddenly he noticed an off note played, and immediately recognized that the bass sounded weird. Sungyeol looked onto L and noticed that he was staring at him. The two of them made eye contact, and Sungyeol felt like his heart stop beating. He lost some air.
 
L continued to strum, smoothing things out with more notes. Sungyeol started to look at him, and his palms started to sweat. In that moment, he felt like he was playing his song for him. To L, Sungyeol was the only person in the room. L continued to look at Sungyeol and his lips, preparing to sing the last chorus of the song and directed his voice towards him. 
 
"Geunyoreul jikyora
Naritji mothage
Nae nimi gyesin got
Kkeutkkaji garyonda.
 
Nae mami geurochi
Hanaman araso
Kkokkgigo apado nol
Sarang haryonda."
 
Eye Candy gave one last strum: Sunggyu and Dongwoo jumped in the air while Sungjong slammed the drums hard, making both of his sticks fly into the air. The whole crowd cheered for them, chanting Eye Candy's name and swinging their hands in the air. Woohyun and Hoya looked and each other and rolled their eyes after their performance ended.
 
L plucked one last string and stood frozen, who had been staring at Sungyeol during their whole performance.
 
Sungyeol also stood still in the crowd, as if the loud screams and pushing of the crowd didn't matter to him. His heart was falling to the pits of his stomach. Sungyeol took a deep breath, closing his eyes during the inhale and opening them back up at exhale. I need to get out of here. Sungyeol turned around and walked towards the doors to leave.
 
Upon seeing Sungyeol leave the bar, L took a look at the rest of Eye Candy who was already in the crowd shaking hands with the fan girls in front. He looked back at Sungyeol, who he saw push the doors open. Chincha, always a mysterious bastard. L quickly unstrapped his bass and placed it on the stand, sliding down the stage to run after Sungyeol.
 
The crowd kept jumping around and dancing, forcing L to shove people to the side to clear the road and catch up. Fan girls tried to pull L towards them, but he gently moved their hands away from him to get away. 
 
L finally saw the doors, which were fogged up from the body heat inside of the bar. He sprinted towards the door and rammed into them with his shoulder, running straight into the rain. He stopped in the middle of the sidewalk.
 
He saw Sungyeol walking away. "Sungyeol!" L exclaimed.
 
Sungyeol turned around and saw L running after him, so he stopped walking.
 
L almost slipped in a puddle running after him, but the momentum from sprinting helped him keep his balance. He finally reached Sungyeol, slowing down his run to a screeching halt in front of him. Some water splashed onto each other, but both of them ignored it. L started to pant from running so fast, trying to catch his breath while looking at Sungyeol. "I have something to give you, too."
 
Sungyeol had just witnessed L chase after him in the pouring rain after performing with Eye Candy and in that moment that L said he had something to give, Sungyeol knew exactly what it was.
 
Without any hesitation, Sungyeol took his hand and weaved his fingers in L's hair. L tried to catch his breath, but the feeling from Sungyeol's hand sent chills down his neck. He wrapped his arms around Sungyeol's neck, the two of them intensely gazing at each other until the both of them closed their eyes at the same time, inevitably crashing their lips together. Sungyeol tilted his head to fill in every little open gap between their lips. L pressed his lips harder, finding Sungyeol's tongue and wrapping it with his own. The rain beat down on them to move closer, and in each breath Sungyeol pushed L's head closer to his as L pulled him closer.
 
L and Sungyeol heard the doors of Heads Up swing open, startling the both of them. Sungyeol took L's wrist and pulled him behind a nearby alley. Out came Suggyu, Dongwoo, Woohyun, Hoya, and Sungjong arguing. 
 
"I don't know where the two of them went!" Hoya yelled.
 
"Yeah, after the show L just chased after Sungyeol," Dongwoo confirmed.
 
"Probably to fight him" Woohyun retorted.
 
"I knew we shouldn't have left L alone! This is all bad news," Sungjong frowned.
 
"Alright, we have to find them right now," Sunggyu said. The five of them joined forces and ran in the opposite direction of L and Sungyeol, screaming out their names.
 
The two of them peeked behind the wall and saw all of them run away. They let out a sigh of relief when everything was clear.
 
"Well, that was a close one," Sungyeol said with a smile, his hair dripping wet and covering his eyes.
 
Both of them were standing soaking wet. L leaned against the wall and took his hand to wipe Sungyeol's hair to the side, getting a good look at Sungyeol's eyes. "Shut up and kiss me," L demanded, pulling on Sungyeol's cardigan.
 
The rain was the hardest it had been that night, but it did not stop Sungyeol. Sungyeol leaned against L, pushing his body closer to the wall and trapping L with his lips.

 


The Chaser - Rock Cover (What this chapter was based off of)