31

Project Soul -- The Parasite

“Jewel….? Seon….?”

 

The words were repeated in a soft voice that was close to falling into a whisper. Paro had difficulties with keeping her eyes locked on the man’s. There was a shadow cast in his eyes that made her feel like she was suffocating from lack of breath. He stepped closer and closer, eventually reaching his hand out to her. Immediately she pictured Hyunseung, who had offered her a helping hand. Doojoon who patiently helped her back to her feet with concern, whenever she fell in the beginning. Junhyung who protectively took her hand on the streets to make sure no one was bothering her. Yoseob who held her hand and sang her gentle lullabies whenever she had difficulties to sleep. Gikwang’s warm hand as he was teaching her to dance to the music she was so interested in. Dongwoon’s firm grip when she got lost at the supermarket and he looked paler than the pack of flour she had been examining when he found her.

 

These eyes were painful for her to keep staring at. The hand was unfamiliar and the eerie tingle in the pit of her stomach, told her not to take it. In fact there was an itching on her feet and the tension of muscles in her legs that told her to run. To get away and to forget about this place, this mess and this person. She wanted to go back home more than ever now. With difficulty Paro managed to tear her eyes off the man and instead they landed on the only person she could get a bit of comfort from. When her eyes made contact with the man who had taken care of her ever since she woke up in this place, Paro’s hopes of running away were shattered. As if knowing what she was thinking, Seonil shook his head gently, while his eyes expressed concern. She blinked once. And another time. Once more. His expression didn’t change. When her eyes were captured by Jae’s again, Paro took a short glance at his hand, still reluctant to take it.

 

Her reluctance did not go unnoticed. A dangerous glint fell into Jae’s eyes and a mist clouded Paro’s mind. Her expression went blank and her hand released the rim of her dress, moving towards the extended hand. And with a gentle tap the hands were linked. Jae closed his slender fingers around her small ones and a wicked smile cracked in his face.

 

* * * * *

“Yes I found her! Stop asking already!” Yoseob’s frustrated yell resounded through their linked minds.

 

It had happened so suddenly, that everyone was in a shock. It was asked several time and the poor spellcaster had to confirm each time. But after 7 questions of ‘Is it really true?’ even the patient fairy would lose it. But yes after a lot of issues and with much difficulty he had found the Apple they had been looking for. Only he wished that he could bring only good news. There was something off about Paro. He was able to take a faint glance at her presence and he had been quite confused ever since. He wanted to share this news, however there were people interrupting his speech and chatting amongst themselves. Even Gikwang was speaking again and although that somewhat relieved him, the fairy wanted to get this over with. He was tired, mentally and physically. To find Paro he literally had to search through the whole country. He could find ants and moths faster than this girl, despite the difference in size and supposed detectability. he had been able to feel a fly’s presence more vividly than hers.

 

“Can everyone please be silent for just one second?” Yoseob begged, tired and exhausted.

And as requested a dead silence fell. Yoseob felt the stares of Doojoon and Hyejoon on him, but chose to ignore it for the time being.

“There was something strange about her.” Yoseob informed and was even too tired to react to the several gasps.

 

“What do yo-” before Doojoon could finish his sentence however, Yoseob’s glare silenced him. The others took his silence as a hint and kept followed their example. They could somewhat imagine what was going on.

“Paro’s presence was difference from her usual. Although I am sure it is her…, I’m also not sure if it really is her.” After taking a sip of water Yoseob continued. “First of all it was so small and faint. I could spot an insect faster than her. Secondly it felt like something was tampering with her conscience… or her presence. Well she’s not okay, let’s keep it at that.”

 

And this alerted everyone.

“Where is she?” Junhyung spoke up, not giving anyone the chance to freak out and forcing them to concentrate on the conversation.

“The Cherub Caves.” Yoseob replied. “Beneath them even.”


 

“We’re going to have to face trolls?” Chaima complained.

“Cherubs, Chaima. They’re smaller and -”

“Have a bigger stick up their asses than trolls. I know.” She interrupted.

“I was going to say meaner, but that works.” Dongwoon retorted ending with a sigh.

“Yes, my vocabulary is more colourful than yours. Even when drunk you can’t compare.”


 

“So where do we meet up?” Hyunseung asked, cutting the useless conversation short.

“At the caves. We’re all at around the same distance from it, only in different directions. We’ll meet up there. It’s the fastest way.” Doojoon made the decision.

“Agreed.” Junhyung spoke for his group.

“Already heading that way.” Dongwoon also joined.

 

“Don’t fly too fast, Dongwoon-ah. We have to be there at the same time. Also don’t have anyone follow you.” Doojoon warned.

“Don’t worry hyung, I have a weight slowing me down. The Vexes are already taken care of… so no worries.”

“I’m already flying on my own, .” Chaima shouted. “There is a crazy amount of Vexes though.”


 

Dongwoon looked down and nodded. Even the other groups had come across more Vexes than they had seen before. It seemed like a complete invasion. No, it was an invasion. The other groups were less lucky though. They didn’t possess the abilities to fly on their own accord. That’s why they used other means. Gikwang summoned a beast. His trusted eagle and his family. Each eagle had a clasp against the right paw, with an opening for a second hand. Gikwang demonstrated and clasped the handles of each eagle around the wrists of Baeri, Junhyung and Hyunseung before they flew off to their destination. Doojoon’s group had been faced with their own problem. The only one out of the three with the ability to fly, was the Succubus. And of course a quarrel between the stubborn could not be avoided.

 

“I can handle it.” Hyejoon assured and groaned in frustration when Doojoon firmly shook his head.

“No way. You can barely fly properly while holding one person, let alone two. What if we get attacked?” He countered sternly. “Above all I can’t have a girl carry that much weight.”

 

“But I am not a normal girl!” She roared. “This is our safety we’re talking about.”

“We’re safer on the ground.”

“With that many Vexes out there? Dooppa, you can’t handle that many. I’ve heard them. It’s a whole army.”

 

Yoseob who had been watching from the sidelines let out a loud sigh. He already felt like a third wheel, but right then was the worst moment in these past days. The two bounced shouts, yells and screams back and forth, causing the spellcasters fatigue to worsen. His lack of stamina also resulted in a lack of patience, especially with these reunited star crossed lovers. So he let out a groan in frustration, causing the two others to fall silent and completely stop in their actions. It was loud enough to send birds flying from their safe housings in the trees. As the last few of them chirped away, their surroundings fell completely silent. They were close to the borders of the capitol, so the forest had thinned out. After his shout, Yoseob heaved a relieved breath. The shouting was over. He also turned into his more compact form, the size of a pencil and eying Doojoon and Hyejoon.

 

“You guys take care of yourselves. I’m fine on my own, thank you very much.” the fairy scoffed before ascending into the air.

 

Exchanging a glance, both Doojoon and Hyejoon lifted and dropped their shoulders. Hyejoon’s tail, claws and wings burst from her and she leaped into the air. Grabbing her boyfriend by the shoulders, clasping her claws tightly around his upper arms. Doojoon gulped unnoticably at this display and allowed himself to be pulled up by Hyejoon’s superior strength. They followed Yoseob into the sky and kept silent, suspecting another outburst from him. Doojoon frowned at his staggering flying and fished the fairy out of the air to put him on his shoulder. Yoseob let out a shriek in response but was silenced by a glare of Doojoon and an apologetic smile from Hyejoon.

“Sorry, Seobbie Oppa. Just sit down okay.” the succubus spoke.

 

* * * * *

 

Having the trip to the Cherub Caves be peaceful was apparently too much to ask for. The air forces of the Vexes had returned and in greater numbers than the few Chaima and Dongwoon had to face. Lacking the firepower and agility, Doojoon’s group was forced to descend and hide after taking down one or two. They weren’t even sure. From the height it was impossible for Doojoon to do any alchemy, whereas Yoseob was too weak to perform any decent spells. They resorted to the small tricks they had up their sleeves to find a way of escape and hide in the tree’s. Yoseob had managed to hide their presences and appearances successfully, causing the Vexes to lose sight of them and fly away in search.

 

The eagle team had a few dozen Vexes chasing them as well. Luckily the eagles were fast flyers, even from that distance, and Junhyung was able to use his free arm and legs as weapons to shake off those that came close. This Team managed to flee after taking down more than half of the group, with mostly Junhyung’s help. He flew around dangerously close striking down the air Vexes, only needing a few blows. Thankfully the hawk was working with him rather well. It took them half of the trip, but they were released from the vultures. The last few dropped down from the sky as they dissolved into dust in midair. They arrived safely as the first group of the three. Instead of entering the cave, they chose to wait for the others behind a group of boulder rocks, not far from the entrances.

 

The group who was supposed to be easiest off, was in fact the one with the most troubles. Instead of the two or three dozen Vexes the others have been faced with, Dongwoon and Chaima were staring at a giant black cloud of ugly vulture-bat-like animals. The cloud had hundreds of eyes, staring at them with a menacing stare that sent the shivers down their spines. They gulped at the same time and shared glances. The fire under Chaima’s feet began wavering along with her confidence. Dongwoon as well seemed to lack the confidence to take on this many. But they had no choice. It was either destroying them or being destroyed. And the latter option didn’t sound like the most appealing.

 

“I think they want revenge.” Chaima spoke out softly.

“Well… let’s show them that taking on the best tag team, is not such an easy task.”

The smile on Dongwoon’s face gave Chaima a little more confidence. She smirked, planting her left fist in the palm of her right hand and let out a roar.

“Let’s get them!”