14

Project Soul -- The Parasite

With a crack, an elegant wooden door carved with a majestic pattern of wavy lines opened letting a burning light fall through the gap into the dark room that was only lit by a few candles on the plank that hung from the wall beside the large window. The curtains were pulled together tightly, allowing no view to and from the outside. The light allowed the frames and shadows of the furniture in the room to be barely visible for the figure that stepped inside.

 

The woman dressed in all black, with a cloth covering her face and the rest of her head, only leaving her eyes bare, stepped in cautiously with almost inaudible steps. Once inside she closed the door carefully behind her as silent as possible. When the click was heard she turned her head, squinting her eyes in an attempt to make out whether someone was present in the room or not.

 

There was a desk in the room, facing the door and although it was barely visible, she could make out its frame and some objects on top. Hovering above the desk, was a face, the features lit by the flickering flames of the candles and the eyes were glistening in the little bit of light they provided. They were looking right at her with a hard gaze that intimidated her to the point that she could feel her insides burning in flames hotter than any she had encountered, which said a lot, because she used to spend every day with a pyrokinetic girl.

 

“You were seen.”

 

The voice, so boyish yet managing to sound colder than ice and sharper than knives, made her restrain a flinch in a futile attempt. She twitched lightly as she tightly curled her fingers into a fist, digging her nails deep into the skin of her hand in hopes that the pain would slightly distract her from the fierce eyes that were eating her alive, torturing her slowly, but keeping her alive to feel the pain.

 

“I apologise, my Lord.” She breathed out with a deep bow as her hands entwined in front of her.

 

“You disappoint me, Saenan, as my very first subordinate.” He spoke in a low voice as his eyes averted from the girl.

 

Saenan kept her head low as she spoke once more. “My humble apologies, my lo-...”

 

The girl stopped and clenched her jaws tightly when she felt a touch of a hand on her cheek over the cloth that covered her face, that slowly cupped her chin. She felt the hand put pressure to her face to draw her back up and she obeyed without a word by standing straight and looking right into her Lord’s eyes. The eye contact lasted for quite a long time. His eyes made all her muscles tense and she pinched her fist tightly, while her other hand that was wrapped around it, dug into the flesh of the back of her hands with her sharp nails.

 

Slowly his other hand moved up to her face as well to her left ear and softly touched her temple. At the touch, the cloth that covered her face fell as it hung to her right side lifelessly. Her slightly intimidated expression that she tried to hide so well, amused him. He could see right through her as easily as looking through glass. Saenan’s face bore striking resemblances to Chaima’s, although her face was slightly rounder and she was quite shorter than her sister.

 

Noticing the man’s small smile, the girl’s muscles relaxed lightly. But the smile didn’t reach his cold and intimidating eyes that also expressed somewhat of a iced anger she couldn’t place well. It immediately made her freeze on spot while he opened his mouth to give a simple order.

 

“Vanish.”

 

His voice sounded cruel enough, to give her an order to kill herself right in front of him. He wasn’t that gentle though, since he would rather tear one of her limbs of bit by bit then go for an instant kill. But she still was of use to him, which is the main reason why he hadn’t gotten rid of her yet. Silently she obeyed his words and stepped back to bow deeply before turning around. Her hand reached out for the cloth and reattached it to her left temple once again, only leaving her eyes bare and she slipped through the extravagant wooden door.

 

 

* * * * *

 

 

After the exhausting previous day, Carlo had given the Cube agents a while off to rest. Of course they wouldn’t reject such an offer, since it didn’t happen often that they didn’t have to think about reports, preparations or anything else related to missions. The six men along with Paro were home and had invited Chaima, Baeri and Hongjung over to hang out. Paro, Hyunseung and Yoseob were busy in the kitchen, while Gikwang and Dongwoon cleaned the various rooms. Junhyung, who never allowed anyone else to touch his clothing, had done the laundry and was hanging it in the garden, while Doojoon went to the supermarket.

 

It was around two in the afternoon when the biggest tasks were done and only the kitchen crew was left busy, while the rest was hanging lazily on the couch in front of the television. That was also the time the girls burst into the house acting like usually, as if the events of the day before never happened.They walked in with loud greetings, smiles and laughter and it didn’t even seem unnatural. Of course the cheerful greeting was mutual. The boys greeted the girls happily and welcomed them into the house.

 

The scene wasn’t complete with Paro running to their friends with a childish grin and flails of her arms as she hugged them while uttering squeals in glee. Soon enough the rest of the kitchen crew joined the group, with a fruit salad in Hyunseung’s hands, while Yoseob carried some bowls and spoons. The healthy snack was served as everyone received a bowl and their games and laughter began.

 

Dinner as well was a scene of their everyday lives, but the after effects of the day before seemed to start to show. Everyone had noticed the slight change in the mood as smiling and laughing became more and more tiring as time passed. It finally came to the point that a silence fell as the smiles had completely faded. Even eating had slowly come to a stop as appetites were lost. Occasionally glances were exchanged, silently conversing among themselves.

 

“Uhm… Can I ask a question?”

 

All eyes fell on the girl who spoke the words. Paro shifted in her seat uncomfortably at the questioning gazes as she returned them bluntly without wavering for a second. For a moment everyone was quite taken aback at the sound of a voice among the awkward silence that had fallen. They hadn’t expected anyone to speak, let alone Paro. When no one answered, Paro started to grow even more uncomfortable. Not expecting an answer anymore she was about to sigh when someone responded.

 

“Of course, you can.” Paro looked up to meet the eyes of the one who responded. She stared right at Doojoon, whom smiled at the girl.

 

“Who is Saenan?”

 

At the question, his smile while she watched other tense as they glanced at Baeri and Chaima whom eyed Paro, pondering on what to tell her. A sigh escaped Chaima’s lips as Baeri placed her fork and knife on the table, waiting for Chaima to start the explanation. Both knew that Paro deserved to know. If their suspicions were right, Saenan would be one of the culprits to create her and the project.

 

“I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have asked.” Paro eventually stated after a fallen silence.

 

“Don’t worry little Apple, you have all right to ask.” Hyunseung assured her as he nudged her side gently with a smile.

 

All eyes were on him while Chaima arched an eyebrow. “Little Apple?” She asked judgingly. “What the hell is that?”

 

“The apple of my eye of course.” He responded with a cheeky grin.

 

Mocking laughs, grins and faked gagging sounds were heard all over the table, while Hyunseung simply smiled at Paro, whom curiously stared back. She didn’t know the meaning behind the words, but she knew what an apple was. Was she an apple? No she wasn’t… She wasn’t round and edible, was she?

 

“It’s a nickname Paro.” Gikwang explained with a light laughter when he noticed her confusion. “Like Banolim is the nickname for Baeri.”

 

“But I’m Paro.” She defended, clearly not understanding the situation at all and confusing her even more.

 

“A nickname is just for fun. It’s how somebody calls you aside of your own name.” He explained.

 

“Right. And that idiot is Gigong.” Baeri mocked her friend, receiving a blank look from the man in question in return.

 

“And that’s Rancho.” Yoseob joined in as he pointed at Hyunseung, who still grinned.

 

“From now on, Nun Paro, your nickname is Apple.” Hyunseung informed her.

 

Paro simply nodded in return, still a bit bewildered at the random turn in events. The mood was lightened though and she smiled gratefully at Hyunseung for relieving the tense mood. He the top of the girl’s head in response as their eyes returned to Chaima. The girl nodded in acknowledgement before speaking.

 

“Well.” Chaima started. “I think you know by now that she’s my sister.”

 

Paro nodded in response silently.

 

“The six idiots over there are a group that work together, right? And Baeri and I are partners. A while ago however, it wasn’t just the two of us. We had two other friends who we worked together with and lived with. One of them was Saenan and the other is named Hana.” Chaima paused for a moment to let the girl take in the information. When she received a nod from her she continued.

 

“We worked together for quite a while and we were good friends. All of us.” Chaima gestured towards Hongjung and the men at the table and continued. “Last year, though, they passed away during a mission. And we held a burial to bury them at Cube.”

 

The scene fell silent for a moment as sad expressions were exchanged. Chaima had unconsciously clenched her hands into fists and smiled at the girl with an expression that spread a painful feeling in her chest. Though Chaima didn’t cry, Paro could see in her eyes how much she wanted to at that moment. She felt her nose sting and warmth crept up to her cheeks and eyes who started to glisten with the tears that built up.

 

Chaima grew aware of the tears and her eyes widened in alarm for a moment as she grew worried. Paro rose from her seat before a tear could fall and made her way across the table to where the brunette was sitting. Without a warning beforehand, not that she intended to in the first place, she wrapped her arms around Chaima’s neck from behind and pressed her tightly against her head tightly against her, while she was still sitting and Paro was standing.Chaima felt the girl’s chin land on top of her head while still astonished for a moment.

 

As she felt tears drip on her cheeks and in her hair, Chaima realised that Paro’s tears weren’t due to pity. They were the same as the tears she had shed the time she had seen Hyunseung wounded. Because they hid their feelings and never expressed them, this girl here, did it in their stead. Paro was the mirror of their hearts and she saw right through them the whole time. Chaima didn’t know how she did it, but she was glad she did. She felt a warmth rush through her and closed her eyes, savouring the moment.

 

“Thank you, little Apple.” Paro whispered to the girl.

 

 

* * * * *

 

 

The next morning had started with bright smiles again at the kitchen table during breakfast. They conversed naturally and it wasn’t even a facade anymore. Somehow the scene and Paro’s actions the day before, lightened the tension and relieved some of their stress and pains. They didn’t know why, but they were glad it had happened. They hadn’t realised that they had become quite dependant on the girl’s care and bluntness to save them from themselves, from their own misery. She was like the moon in a starless night.

 

“Paro, let’s get you a haircut.” Baeri suggested. “It’ll be easier for you to take care of it.”

 

The girls had stayed over again at the house and though the mood wasn’t all too great, they had decided to have a girls night in Paro’s room. Though they usually weren’t the type to doll up and do girly stuff, because they simply didn’t have any time nor opportunities to especially after the tragedy, they turned the night into one with laughter, pillow fights and games among the girls, while the boys did their own thing.

 

Paro eyed Baeri for a moment before running a hand over her braid. “It won’t be too short, will it?” She asked nervously.

 

Hongjung chuckled as she placed a sandwich on the girl’s plate. “No. we’ll ask Esmee to keep it long, but cut it in a cute way. You have a pretty face, Paro. I think a lot of boys will turn their heads for you if you get a bit cuter.”

 

Paro tilted her head in confusion and flinched slightly at the growl coming from the boys and Chaima. The seven of them shot glaring looks at Hongjung for a moment while Baeri laughed.

 

“They’ll have to go through me first.” Chaima and Hyunseung threatened at the same time.

They glanced at each other proudly before sharing a high five. Paro felt two hands on her shoulders and looked up at Junhyung whom looked down at her.

“Let me know when someone teases you, okay?” He told her with a small smile.

“Hongjung, don’t get weird idea’s into the girl’s head.” Gikwang scolded the younger girl who just smiled back innocently at the judging looks she received from the seven while Baeri laughed.

 


Author's note

Chapter 14~! Yay. The story is finally progressing and I would like to thank the readers for their endless support. <3

Also thanks to the subbies, for being awesome and subscribing! ;_; I love you.

Stay tuned for the next chapter!

Lots of love,

Saenan