13

Project Soul -- The Parasite

After arriving in the laboratory, Carlo offered the others some rest and food to replenish their energy. They were all exhausted and wounded. Baeri had closed her wound mildly before healing Doojoon’s broken arm and other big injuries. Since she was quite exhausted all she could do was stopping the bleeding and heal the most dangerous injuries. They were all left with the minor bruises and scratches, while the girl caught her breath.

 

The time came where Doojoon decided to report everything they had seen in detail, from the appearance of the vexes upon arrival, to the female laugh they had heard. To Chaima’s surprise no one seemed to think much or suspect anything from the voice. She had been the only one to recognise it faintly, although she doubted it at first. Her suspicion was confirmed by her inability to summon her flames and when she locked eyes with the figure.

 

She knew that person.

 

She had remained silent during the whole conversation, which didn’t go unnoticed by the company. Carlo eyed the girl from time to time, making a mental note to speak with her later. Even Baeri who was stuffing herself with food, despite the lack of an appetite, to regain energy for more healing had her full attention on Chaima. The girl looked as if she was looking at the screen, but her eyes gazed in the distance without focus and without paying attention to the rest of the spoken words.

 

Chaima snapped out of her trance when she felt a hand softly landing on her wrist. Her eyes fell down on her lap and she noticed the imprints of her nails in the palm of her hand. She had even damaged her skin with her tight grip, but not enough for it to bleed. Her gaze trailed along the arm to finally meet eyes with the dark haired girl in the wheelchair beside her. Her gaze was filled with a heartwarming smile, that told her she wasn’t alone.

 

For the first time in years after having made the oath to never shed any tears again, the pyrokinetic had the urge to cry her eyes out in the arms of this clueless girl, whom she might end up killing with her own hands. Fate was cruel. It loved to toy with lives. It loved to toy with her and this innocent girl who was reassuring her while it was supposed to be the other way around. Chaima hated fate, no, she loathed fate.

 

The brunette’s ears picked up the words, ‘You are dismissed.’ spoken by Carlo. She glanced at him for a moment and received a look she knew very well. I want to see you later. He didn’t even have to say it to her anymore, just the eye contact was enough and Baeri had noticed it as well. The time was when she was ready of course and she really appreciated this considerate side of the man. She would surely join the conversation as always and Chaima was happy with the sisterly bond they had. The bond that had strengthened after last year’s tragedy, the tragedy that struck not only the two of them, but everyone in Cube harshly.

 

“Let’s go back to the house.” Hyunseung had suggested.

 

Before anyone was able to respond the doors opened again with a figure stepping in. The dark haired tanned girl was as always dressed in a stylish outfit, with her hair pulled back in a ponytail. In her hands she had various bags, obviously filled with clothing and accessories. Her gleeful smile never left her face as she approached the battered group.

 

“Of course, I think the people in Shunkan would greatly appreciate you walking around in clothes that reveal more than they should.” Esmee mocked with a coy smile followed by a wink.

 

Bewildered for a moment, the group examined their clothing only to notice that the stylist was completely right. What Gikwang wore, wasn’t a buttoned up shirt anymore but looked like some rags thrown over his shoulder and a band around his waist that showed the entire front of his upper body, while the back side was connected by a piece of the fabric that wasn’t completely ripped. Even then his shoulder blades were completely exposed. His jeans had holes in the knees and the pipes were completely ripped. The rest of the males were in a similar situation.

 

While Chaima’s clothes were still quite intact, Baeri realised only then that her shirt was no more than a tangled piece of fabric that did a poor job in covering her chest area. The cut on her abdomen had ripped the piece apart and the cuts on her back side had completely shattered the piece of clothing that was supposed to be a t-shirt. As a blush crept up her cheeks, she wrapped her arms around herself only to let out a painful grunt at the quick movement that didn’t do the wound on her stomach any good.

 

“I have a change of clothes for all of you.” Esmee announced with a chuckle. “And I’ll help you recharge, Baeri.”

 

“You’re awesome.” The girl returned with a grateful cheeky smile.

 

“I know,” The girl responded with a wink and soon showed a slight pout. “If you ever forget, I will make sure to dress you as a smurf.”

 

The boys walked to the other side of the laboratory where they pulled the curtain to shield themselves while changing while Chaima and Baeri did the same in the opposite corner of the room. It didn’t take them long to change into the outfit Esmee had picked for them. All of them looked great in the new outfits that completely matched their styles. Esmee had been thanked by Chaima absentmindedly and she noticed it faintly. A glance at Baeri was returned with a small shake of the other girl’s head and an apologetic smile.

 

Esmee’s ability was quite useful to people around her. She had the ability to share her own stamina and endurance with others and usually helped Baeri out when she ran out of energy while healing people. She was like a portable magical battery. Eventually Baeri was completely charged up and healed the rest of the others’ wounds ending with her own treatment. A sigh of relief escaped her lips as she finally didn’t have to deal with the stinging pain anymore.

 

* * * * *

 

 

While the rest made themselves ready to leave, Chaima had announced that she would follow them later and that Carlo wanted to see her. Baeri wanted to stay as well, but the girl had refused. In the end the elder convinced Chaima that she would rather drink vex blood than leave her alone in this state. The brunette had no other choice than to give into her friends pleas. Paro had left with the rest of the gang, but one of the males stayed behind. Of course that was the ever so caring Hyunseung who was now facing her with a stern expression.

 

“What happened back there?” He asked her.

 

Chaima remained silent for a moment, hesitating on how to bring it. The hesitation resulted in her doubting her own thoughts and senses. Was she even sure it was her? It might have been someone who looked similar. It might have been her mind playing tricks on her. She might have imagined it all. But the flames didn’t lie. Her flames were killed even before she could summon them. The eye contact was so familiar and nostalgic that it made her stomach twist and her heart squeeze painfully in a way that only happened last year.

 

“Chaima, what the hell happened back there?” Hyunseung raised his voice eventually and placed a hand on her shoulder..

 

Baeri had stayed silent for the whole time, but observed closely. Her eyes widened and filled with worry once she saw the pained and helpless expression in her friend’s eyes as she looked at Hyunseung. The male fell silent as well and retreated his arm when he saw the look in Chaima’s eyes. He had never seen her like this before. The brunette looked as if everything she held dear had been ripped apart right in front of her.

 

“I…” Chaima paused knowing that her voice would give out before she could finish her sentence.

 

The girl took in a sharp breath through her clenched teeth when she heard Baeri’s voice. “What Chaima? What is it?”

 

“I… It’s… I saw her.” This time her voice did crack at the last word she spoke out. “I saw Saenan. She was there.”

 

“What?” Hyunseung whispered as he noticed that Baeri was completely overwhelmed by her words. He couldn’t blame her, it struck him harshly as well.

 

“How can that be?” Baeri croaked but was only met with silence. “Saenan is … She is…” The healer stopped, not wanting to speak out the last word.

 

“I know what I saw. I saw my sister, Baeri. I couldn’t summon my flames. She is the only one who ca-.”

 

“Saenan is dead, Chaima.” Baeri finally cried out at the top of her lungs. For a moment she couldn’t believe she actually spoke those words out. “She and Hana died last year, right in front of us. We even buried them!”

 

Chaima’s eyes narrowed as she locked eyes with her friend. “Do you think I would lie about this?” She spoke out, her voice softer than she imagined it would be, probably because it would crack otherwise.

 

“Stop it you two.” Hyunseung tried to hush them.

 

“Shut up, Hyunseung. This woman thinks I’m making this up!” she shouted at him before turning back to Baeri. “Do you have any idea, how I felt when I thought it was her? And when I confirmed it? She killed my flames, Baeri, before I had even summoned them. You know I’m not making this up. That laugh, that was her. Those deep brown eyes, they were hers. That ability to steal the oxygen from my flames, she is the only one capable of that!”

 

Baeri fell completely silent, knowing that her friend was speaking the truth. She felt guilt washing over her, for accusing Chaima of lying. She knew very well that she wasn’t capable of doing something like that, even less than Baeri about these things. Baeri’s body started to feel completely numb as she leaned with her back against the wall to prevent herself from falling and she gazed at Chaima who stared at her with piercing eyes. Chaima couldn’t stay mad at her, denying was also the first thing she had done when she found out.

 

“Come out Hongjung. We know you’re listening.” The girls heard Hyunseung say as he gazed at the hallway not far from them.

 

Baeri and Chaima were actually surprised to see the girl walking around the corner to them. Her approach was cautious and shy, while her smile was nowhere to be seen. She had heard the complete story and wasn’t all too happy with what she heard. Saenan and Hana had been good friends to them all since years back. There was no way she wouldn’t be hurt by the news. The tragedy last year had been the point in their lives where they realised that death was just around the corner. While they had joined Cube because of pure interest in the beginning, they found determination after the occurrence of the tragedy.

 

“Sorry. I didn’t mea-...”

 

“Stop it. You are, I mean, were her friend as well. You still are ours. Don’t apologise.” Chaima interupted her and offered a small smile.

 

The usually smiling Hongjung didn’t smile back though. She just stared back, sadly. If this news were true, then Saenan was probably with the enemy. Why else would she laugh like that and would her presence influence the vexes that much. The thought hurt her, but they probably had to kill their dear friend. And this time, by their own hands.

 

“What are we going to do?” Baeri asked with a cracked voice.

 

“Report to Carlo, Jaeli and Jeffrey. The others have to know of this as well. There is a possibility that Hana is alive as well and both of them are si-...”

 

“Don’t say it.” Chaima interrupted again, though this time it was Hyunseung.

 

Her eyes locked with his, expressing a pained fury. The illusionist pitied the girl and kept silent, without any intention to continue. He knew very well that Chaima had considered it as well. She was her sister and it obviously pained her the most.

 

 

* * * * *

 

The news wasn’t received well by the rest either. Jaeli’s expression had darkened completely while she fell completely silent for the rest of the time. Carlo and Jeffrey were speechless as well, while not knowing what to think. The five other males wanted to ask questions, but knew it was a bad idea. The mood was completely tense and a silence had fallen. No one dared to speak and most of the time they shot worried glances at Chaima, whom seemed to restrain her emotions. Baeri and Hongjung were doing the same.

 

Jaeli didn’t speak a word even when asked questions. The six girls had been good friends and this news was frightening, painful and worried all of them. Were they able to kill a friend when it came to it? None of them was sure they could do it. But they had to find the determination, if Saenan posed any danger to innocent lives and if she was with the ones behind Paro’s creation. With the one’s who had cursed the girl’s existence even before she was created.

 

“Carlo is checking on their graves. To see if their bodies are still there.” Doojoon informed the company.

 

He was met with silence as response and didn’t expect any more. Another long silence fell. Almost 10 minutes passed like that until it was broken by the screeching scratches of a chair against the floor. All eyes were on Chaima who abruptly had risen from her seat. She had her hands in front of her with her palms faced up as she stared down at them. Her eyes were flashing from their original deep brown colour, to the ruby red and fierce crimson colour.

 

“I will do it.” She spoke.

 

Confused expressions and questioning gazes were directed at her. She looked up from her hands to meet the eyes of each and every one of the people in the room.


“When it comes to it and when it’s necessary, I will take my sister on.” She continued. “I will kill Saenan.”


Author's note

Chapter 13~ Unlucky number 13. A chapter filled with angst and some beginning character development. 

Esmee has an awesome cameo again~ YAY With her Sassy Aegyo.

Thanks for reading. Comment please! Don't be silent readers ;____;

Lots of love,

Saenan