20

Project Soul -- The Parasite

In the end they had no choice but to abide by Carlo’s will. He was the boss after all and despite feeling bitter towards his decision, they knew he found it his responsibility to protect them. Paro had been moved to a room within the headquarter main building, where it was easier to supervise her. Carlo had called for the medic staff to take her there, but everyone refused to leave Paro in their hands, Baeri included. They brought the girl to the room by themselves, the group of six men and three girls. Junhyung had returned to his human form again and carried the girl, while Yoseob remained in his fairy form and sat on the former’s shoulder. Paro’s new room was located on the 13th floor, the highest being the 14th, which was only accessible for Carlo, Jeffrey and Jaeli.

 

 

 

 

 

The walk to the room they had assigned for her was completely silent. The tension was thick enough for Doojoon to almost taste it. The heavy bitter taste, which reminded one of coffee, but contrary to coffee it seemed as if this only drained his energy instead of supplying him with it. No one spoke and although Doojoon hated the awkwardness in the group, he know that trying to set up a conversation now would benefit no one. The most probable result would be an argument and even more tension. A sigh escaped the leader’s lips as they exited the elevator, that had brought them to their destined floor. He watched Baeri step out, followed closely by Gikwang and Dongwoon. He shortly glanced at the two other girls, noticing Chaima’s hesitant expression and her eyes filled with doubt, while Hongjung mostly conveyed sadness.

 

 

 

When the rest had already evacuated the elevator, Doojoon walked out last. The doors closed behind him moments after, while he caught up with the rest of the group. Paro’s room was on the far end of the hall, turning right when exiting the elevator. Once they all entered her room, Paro was quietly placed in bed in the bedroom and covered. Hyunseung tucked her in carefully, when he noticed that the girl was shivering. The room she had been assigned, was a simple apartment, with a livingroom, bedroom, bathroom and kitchen. It was big enough for one person to live in, but not for 10 people to be in. When Hyunseung and Chaima had made sure that Paro was as comfortable as possible, despite her dire state, they moved to the livingroom where the rest tried to find a spot to stand, or sit.

 

 

 

The couch that was supposed to be for two people, was occupied by four, while the rest had found a spot on the floor. Hyunseung kept standing with his back to the wall and his arms folded over his chest, while Chaima simply sat on the saloon table, as it was the only vacant place left. Baeri as well kept standing in a similar position as Hyunseung, while Gikwang sat beside her. She could feel Hyunseung’s petrifying gaze on her, while her eyes were closed as she was in thought. No one took the initiative to speak, knowing that an argument and fight between the healer and the illusionist was a matter of time. One word was enough to start a discussion and that one word would be the spark that ignited the explosion, none of them wanted to witness. It was inevitable though. Keeping silent wouldn’t do anyone any good. They had to sort this matter out, no matter what. Even if hell would break loose, which they were certain they’d get close to.

 

 

 

“Let’s discuss this matter guys.” Doojoon was the first to speak.

 

 

 

As expected of the leader, of course. All eyes directed to the figure occupying the only chair in the room, at the small dining table. Doojoon registered many different gazes at him, questioning ones, confused ones, the ones that were anticipating some miracle, the ones with the fading determination, sad ones and lastly, Baeri’s distant ones. Though they weren’t officially members of their squad, the boys were close with the girls. Doojoon even considered himself a brother of hers and seeing the girl like this, hurt and concerned him. He knew that Baeri, as well, liked Paro, but she had also made her decision. A decision that she believed would be for the best, for them. She would stand by it and whenever ordered to, or whenever necessary end it by herself. She didn’t need assistance, she swore to protect them.

 

 

 

The girl couldn’t blame Chaima and Hongjung for hesitating, despite having made the pact. Not after hearing Hongjung’s explanation on Paro’s mental state. The healer was taken aback by it as well. She could almost feel how much Paro wanted to protect the nine of them. Protect them from herself and the only way she knew how to, was to end her own life. Opposite to the rest of the group though, this only made her determination to stand by her decision even stronger. If that was what Paro wanted, she would help her. Paro wasn’t part of the pact from the beginning, but in her mind, Baeri had already added the girl to the group. She came to care for the girl as much as the others, but this decision was mutual between her and Paro, despite lacking the discussion beforehand.

 

 

 

“What is there to discuss?” Yoseob mumbled.

 

 

 

The spellcaster had picked a wrong time to return to his human size, making the living room even more cramped than it was. He sat on the couch with Hongjung beside him and Dongwoon and Junhyung on the armrests on either side.

 

 

 

Doojoon sighed. “Well… I don’t think that Carlo wants us to eliminate Paro right away. So I thought we should first concentrate on her recovery.”

 

“We could do some research on her ability as well.” Hongjung chimed in receiving an approving nod from Doojoon.

 

“I guess, I could place a seal on her abilities.” Yoseob spoke out hesitantly.

 

“And when she’s nursed back to health, we could help her control them.” Junhyung voiced his thoughts out.

 

“Hyunseung, Baeri, Gikwang and I could take care of her, while she’s recovering.” Chaima joined.

 

 

 

Hearing their names, Hyunseung and Baeri gazed at Chaima for a moment, before locking eyes with each other. The two narrowed their eyes at the same time, shooting a glare in each other’s direction before looking away. Gikwang only sighed at the awkward scene.

 

 

 

“I’ll join Hongjung in her research then and discuss our plans with Carlo and Jeffrey. Jeffrey left his kudakitsune here, to control her magic and I bet he’s also keeping an eye on us.” Doojoon finalised.

 

 

* * * * *

 

 

The next day, Chaima and Hyunseung were in Paro’s bedroom, watching over the girl who didn’t seem to show any changes since the day before. Baeri and Gikwang had watched over her for the night and were resting. Hyunseung had turned away, while Chaima undressed the smaller girl from the dirty clothes she had run around on the playground with, changing her into an oversized t-shirt of her own. After changing her clothes, she asked Hyunseung to lift the girl, to quickly change the stained bedsheets. A few more chores were done before the two sat silently, watching her still panic struck face. It unsettled both of them immensely, not knowing how the girl was feeling and they wondered how much her mind was in a mess right now. Chaima was sure that she was convincing herself to just disappear and still shocked by the events of the day before. A sigh escaped her lips.

 

 

 

“Stupid girl.” She muttered. “Wake up, will you. We’re all worried about you, little Apple.”

 

 

 

Chaima didn’t know whether she was able to hear her or not. She just wanted to say this, ever since they left the laboratory. She didn’t even know why she said it, nor why she wanted to say it. The only thing she was convinced of was that the whole situation simply . It wasn’t like her to be this driven by emotions, when faced with a possible danger to the world. But she just couldn’t bring herself to think about Paro in that way. Not after seeing how she lived with them. Not after speaking with her and witnessing her innocence and ignorance. Not after knowing how she was born, or rather, created and abandoned like that. She just hated fate for being so cruel to this girl.

 

 

 

“How I wish you were just a normal girl.” Chaima softly spoke.

 

 

 

Her hands the girl’s head and brushed the strands of hair out of her face. Hyunseung watched Chaima closely, listening to her as she spoke. He couldn’t agree more with her at that moment.

 

 

 

“You sound like a mother.” Hyunseung noted.

 

The pyrokinetic didn’t fail to catch the mocking tone in his voice. “Trust me, you’re more like a mother than I am.” She responded with a smirk.

 

As if in a silent agreement, with a glance their expressions fell as soon as they locked eyes for a few seconds and averted them quickly after. Hyunseung’s eyes were back to the ground, while Chaima gazed at Paro.

 

 

 

“What Hongjung said…” Hyunseung breathed out. “What do you think of that?”

 

Chaima was silent for a moment and returned her gaze to him. “I … don’t know.”

 

“Is it wrong of me to want to protect her?”

 

 

 

Hyunseung’s question threw her off guard and left her astonished for a moment. “The Jang Hyunseung is doubting himself?” She asked aghast. “I thought you were the most determined one amongst us.”

 

That comment earned her a glare, from the male. Before he was able to say more, or before he even decided to ignore her, Chaima gave him her response. “No, it isn’t.”

 

 

 

Hearing her response the glare was replaced by a confused and rather surprised gaze. He could see in her eyes, that Chaima was sincere and that she had been wrestling with the thoughts as well, although it only came out when he spoke them out for her as well. He watched her let out a deep sigh before returning her eyes on the motionless girl. She was facing a dilemma, more than Hyunseung. He was sure he wanted to protect her, but Chaima couldn’t help but feel conflicted. She wanted to protect the girl from her cruel fate like her conscious told her to, but on the other hand she had made a pact and swore to keep to it. How could she go back on her promise with the girls? The two hadn’t noticed the subtle movements of the girl in question who was in bed. Once she advanced to sit up, Chaima and Hyunseung approached the bed in alarm.

 

 

 

“Paro?” Hyunseung carefully asked.

 

 

 

The girl did not seem to respond to his call at first. She sat for a moment, gazing in the distance it seemed. When Hyunseung was about to speak again, he fell silent by the turning of the girl’s head. She peered straight into his eyes without without looking away or even blinking. Her two dark glazing orbs were pleading him, but what she wanted was unknown because she never spoke it out for a long moment. When she did though, Hyunseung wished he never wanted to know and Chaima felt the same.

 

 

 

“Destroy it.”

 

 

 

The two words were spoken in a voice they had never heard coming from the girl, who always smiled gleefully. Her voice sounded so hollow, so firm and had shown no sign of emotions. Hyunseung looked for any sign of sadness, fear or anything else in her eyes and expression, in her posture, in anything. He was almost desperate. But he found nothing. Nothing. It shocked him, it angered him, but mostly it scared him. How cruel was it for this girl to wish for them to destroy the one thing that kept her alive. Both Hyunseung and Chaima knew very well what she meant by ‘it’. It was the core, her core. Were they supposed to simply accept this turn of events? Hyunseung was afraid that if Carlo heard her plea, he would do as she wished without much hesitation. He couldn’t let him hear it, he didn’t want him to hear it. The sound of a slap resonated through the room, followed by a gasp.

 

 

 

“Don’t you dare... to ask for something like that. Ever. Again.” Hyunseung hissed.

 

 

 

As he pulled his hand back, Paro’s moved up to the sore and sensitive spot on her face. Chaima visibly winced upon seeing the red mark the impact had left. She was as shocked as Paro, if not even more at the unexpected act. Paro’s eyes had widened as she stared up at the male. Unconsciously the girl bit the inside of her cheek when she saw the anger and sadness in the man’s expression. She was too shocked to even cry. From the corner of her eyes, Chaima had taken notice of two other figures in the door opening to the room.Both Baeri and Gikwang showed the same shocked expressions as they gazed at the scene. Gikwang however also seemed to be worrying for the girl. Chaima would laugh at how compassionate and soft hearted the man was, if Hyunseung wouldn’t emit an aura that could kill her.

 

 

 

“Y-yah.” Gikwang uttered, while he cursed himself for stuttering. “That wasn’t necessary.”

 

He was silenced when he heard Paro’s soft voice. “It hurts.”

 

 

 

The four pairs of eyes turned to her and watched the girl softly brushing her cheek and whimpering under her own touch. Hyunseung wheezed a breath of relief when he heard the usual voice of the girl. Chaima, Gikwang and Baeri seemed to be completely surprised by the situation and it took them a moment to realise what Hyunseung’s trail of thought actually was.

 

 

 

“Hyunseung-hyung that hurt.” Paro wailed in a loud voice.

 

She was surprised to see his smile, but even more when he her head gently. “I’m sorry,” he apologised. Though Paro didn’t understand much of what happened, she found herself smiling as well.

 

 

 

The reunion was kept short, when the door harshly opened with a loud smack against the wall. Baeri flinched at the sound and turned to face the direction where it came from. Gikwang followed and looked over the girl. What they saw was Yoseob breathing rapidly, probably because he had run to the dorm. The spellcaster bend forward, placing his hand on his knees while he tried to catch up with his breathing. Gikwang had walked around the girl in front of him, approaching the tired male. By then Chaima had walked out of the room as well and watched the scene with a questioning expression. Before any of them could ask anything though, Yoseob managed to speak in between his gasps for air.

 

 

 

“Emergency… Hana… Saenan…” He worded. Gikwang handed him a glass of water and he sipped it before continuing. “Baeri, your home. They’re in Eisei.”

 

 

 

Hearing the words, Baeri’s eyes widened before she stormed out of the room.

 


Author's note: 
I will upload a longer author's note later in a blog post and link it here. <3 It's up to you whether you read it or not, I'm not going to force anyone into anything. : ]
 
Enjoy the update! 
 
Lots of love,
 
Saenan
 
EDIT: Reflecting: Project Soul: The Parasite I Aka the long writer's note. xD