9

Project Soul -- The Parasite

The house had become dead silent as everyone’s eyes were on the dark haired girl, who sat beside Junhyung nervously. She was still gazing at the female on the couch, who meanwhile had crossed her legs as she looked back at her. When Paro noticed the stares of the rest on her, she glanced around, still not understanding what was going on. She didn’t understand Jaeli’s words nor the heavy atmosphere it had created. She only knew that it was about her and by judging the looks she got from the other’s, she somehow felt that it was something bad or worrisome.

 

When she looked back at the chocolate haired male beside her, he looked down at her and from his eyes she saw that he was rather confused and concerned. There was doubt and questions lingering in his mind and Paro felt the same. She looked around and Doojoon had a similar expression, just like Gikwang, Hyunseung and Dongwoon. Yoseob however, decided to smile at her to reassure her a bit, noticing her insecurity at that moment by the way her grip on Junhyung’s arm loosened..

 

“Stop staring at Paro like that. She doesn’t understand any of this.” The spellcaster finally spoke with a sigh.

 

Paro gazed at the male not knowing what to say. She did know that she felt grateful though, when the intense stares broke away from her back to Jaeli. The girl was about to release Junhyung’s arm, but was stopped when she felt a hand placed over hers. When she looked up, her eyes met Junhyung’s whom smiled at her, causing the girl to mirror his expression. A bubble of warmth spread inside her and somehow the uneasiness died down slowly. This was the effect the six males had on her, as well as Chaima, Baeri, Hongjung and even Carlo.

 

Paro’s grip on Junhyung’s arm grew firmer again, though his hand remained. His attention was back to Jaeli who smiled at the scene. Chaima and Baeri decided to sit down too right beside Paro. What Jaeli told them worried them all. They knew the risks they took by taking the girl in. They knew almost nothing about her, but took her in anyway as no one was able to punish an innocent life for a crime she hadn’t even committed.

 

“Can you elaborate, Jaeli?” Dongwoon finally asked her when the silence lasted too long for his taste.

 

“Right. Sorry.” was the banshee’s response. “I’ll start from the start. The laboratory you guys rescued Paro from, was suspected to be Jae’s right? Well we confirmed that suspicion. The documents and samples you brought back were from experiments he had conducted in the past as well. There is a substance we found in all the samples, that was also present in the samples I took from unidentified creatures I encountered before my return.”

 

At the mention of the creatures, Chaima and Hyunseung glanced at each other, before returning their gazes to Jaeli who continued.

 

“The same creatures you two also were confronted with.” she cleared their suspicion. “Anyway… we found out he’s doing experiments with deceased organisms and artificial life forms. Those creatures being one of them. In the reports we found out that they’re named Vexes. Quite fitting, don’t you think?”

 

“Vexes?” Baeri mumbled.

“Yes Vexes, plural for Vex.” Jaeli confirmed.

“What about the marble?” Hyunseung asked.

 

“Hold on. I’m about to reach that part.” She shot back. “Paro here, is one of the experiments as you know. What her purpose is, is still unclear to us. But since she was abandoned in the laboratory, Carlo and I came to the conclusion that she’s a failed experiment they wanted to get rid of. We’re not sure yet though. For now she’s our only lead to her creator, Jae.

 

Now onto your missions, Chaima and Hyunseung. The orb you brought back contains energy right? I know you both felt it. For now, it’s still unidentified what it is, but we believe that that marble isn’t the only one. Carlo thinks that it’s the core for the experiments, thus the core for the artificial life forms. It’s quite complicated and we’re not sure yet. Hongjung is investigating it right now. For now I told you what I know.”

 

The room fell silent for a moment taking in the flood of information Jaeli had just spilt. Gazes were exchanged while some people stole a glance at Paro, whom was playing with her hands again, tapping her index fingers together as she stared into space. The girl could only understand less than half of what was said, but the name Jae was oddly familiar to her. Who he was or what he was, was unknown to her. She probably knew less about this figure than the others.

 

The silence was broken by a question from Hyunseung. “What will happen to Paro? Are you planning on using her to find Jae?”

 

Paro snapped out of her trance when she heard his voice and looked up to stare at the male. She blinked a few times but her gaze never left his side profile while he was looking at Jaeli. His eyes were dark and cold, with bottled up anger that started to become vivid as he waited for an answer from the girl on the couch. Jaeli let out a sigh and pulled her leg back from the other to sit straight.

 

“I don’t like this either, Hyunseung.” She noted flatly, her expression blank. “I never said we were. But we need her to find Jae.”

“Why?” This time it was Gikwang.

“Because for every artificial life form Jae creates, he steals a life.” Jaeli explained.

 

For a moment they all fell silent while Paro glanced at Jaeri before meeting eyes with Gikwang who looked at her, not being able to hide his concern. He was afraid, she could see that. Paro still wasn’t able to understand fear properly, but she knew that this didn’t scare her as much as the other’s would think it would.

 

“So what’s the plan?” Doojoon managed to cut the tension with his question.

“For now, nothing. But we need Paro at the headquarters. We want to know how the Core develops into a life form.” Jaeli explained.

“You want to experiment on her? How does that make us better than Jae?” Hyunseung finally snapped.

 

Doojoon placed a hand on the male’s shoulder to calm him down, but the only response was a cold gaze. Despite that, the leader of the group shook his head towards him causing Hyunseung to sigh as he curled his hands into tight fists. Jaeli could understand why Hyunseung was mad, like she said before, she didn’t like this one bit either. She stole a glance at Paro whom was now in Chaima’s embrace who sat behind her, before returning her gaze on Hyunseung.

 

“Like I said. I don’t like this either. You of all people should know that best.” Jaeli told him. Her voice was cold as ice and her eyes were equally cold and strict. “But there are innocent lives at risk. We have to do anything in our power right now.”

“By bringing a life in danger?” Hyunseung spat bitterly.

 

That was it, the last of Jaeli’s patience was completely burnt up, by this man’s ignorance. Maybe it was fate that had thrown the female into a rivalry with this man. Even their abilities were opposites. While she was a manipulator of the shadows as a banshee, this man had the ability to manipulate light into creating his illusions. It probably wasn’t intentional on Hyunseung’s side to piss her off royally, but he succeeded pretty well. Normally she would have verbally abused him, but this time it was different.

 

Baeri and Chaima both knew what was coming. Even the five other males knew that Jaeli wouldn’t keep quiet now. They couldn’t predict Jaeli nor Hyunseung’s action’s nor thoughts at the moment. From their shadows they felt solid tendrils wrap around their ankles and wrists, keeping them in place. Some had a rope of shadows wrapped around their waists as well. Only Paro remained untouched and of course Hyunseung, the target in Jaeli’s vision.

 

The girl shot up and within seconds was in front of Hyunseung, with her hand gripping the collar of his shirt as she pulled him up, lifting him from his seat to his feet. Their faces were close enough for Hyunseung to feel the banshee’s breath on his skin, but his expression remained the same.

 

“Listen up you hot headed bastard,” She started. “because I will say this only once. There is no reason for me to value the life of your little princess more than the hundreds of lives we could save by bringing her to the headquarters. Carlo sent me here for a reason. He didn’t want to be the one to beat your sorry state back in shape. I’ve already heard that you’ve ignored his orders several times by using solid illusions.”

 

While Hyunseung didn’t even flinch once at Jaeli’s actions and words, Doojoon and Chaima let out a sigh while the four others gazed at their partner in concern and confusion. It wasn’t like Hyunseung to ignore orders or warnings. What had happened?

 

“Let me get this straight with you. I have no reason to listen to you. Either you bring that girl to Cube by yourselves, making everyone’s lives easier or I will take her with me right now.”

 

With that Jaeli released her hold on the others before throwing Hyunseung back to the couch. She was about to merge with the shadows and disappear from their sight when she felt a grip on her arm. A tilt of her head showed the owner of the grip. Paro tried to hide the fact that she was extremely intimidated by this figure and held a firm grip on the confused Banshee’s grip. At first she thought Paro wanted to stop her from being mean to Hyunseung, but she was proven wrong by the girl’s words.

 

“I…I will do it.” She heard the girl say in a soft voice.

 

For a moment, she was at loss of words, but smiled after realising what Paro was trying to do. The smile was rather sad. This girl was willing to sacrifice herself and for some reason, Jaeli had the hunch that Paro was more knowledgeable than everyone believed. Jaeli could see in her eyes that she knew she was something that could be disposed of and she wasn’t afraid if they would do the same. To Paro’s surprise, Jaeli’s hand rested on her head, it gently.

 

“You’re a brave girl, Nun Paro. I admire you.” She told her. “Don’t worry, I will protect you from anything that could happen.”

 

Chaima let out a sigh when Jaeli merged with the shadows and finally disappeared from sight. Hyunseung had gotten up from his seat and before anyone could say anything, he left the house through the front door. The company stared after him and eventually gazed at Paro who now was standing in the middle of the living room, seeming quite surprised at what she had said moments ago to Jaeli.

 

“Paro, Come here.” The girl winced at the sudden voice.

 

She turned her head to the source and came eye to eye with Doojoon, who was smiling at her as he spread his arms to give her entry into his embrace. She didn’t need to think twice before running to the male and wrapping her arms around his waist and feeling his arms wrapping around her smaller body as well. Paro was honest, maybe too honest. Even when it came to her feelings she never lied, nor was afraid to show them. It might be due to the lack of understanding the concept of fear, or her hatred for lying.

 

A sigh escaped Chaima’s lips as she turned her head to the door again. Even Baeri stole a glance at the front door before she glanced at Yoseob and Gikwang who were standing side by side at that moment. Giving each other a knowing look, they nodded. Junhyung on the other hand, was lost in his own thoughts while Doojoon was still trying to comfort Paro. She wasn’t crying, but the firm hold on his waist, told her she didn’t want to let go soon either.

 

* * * * *

 

That same evening, the group was back at the headquarters. Paro had changed into a simple white dress, that quite resembled a hospital look and sat down on a bed in a white room. The sight was nostalgic, but not in a way she liked. It made her feel uneasy and slightly anxious. Ever since she had seen the world, even if it were for a few days, she was afraid that she would have to return into the glass tube.

 

“Paro. Don’t worry, we’re here. We won’t let anyone hurt you, okay?”

 

A squeeze of her hand made her look up to the owner of the voice. It was Gikwang, who also held a firm grip on her hand. She smiled at his words, despite being unable to control the quivering of her hands. His words did relax her tense muscles a little and relieved a bit of the nausea she felt. Baeri had told her that it was nervousness. Despite the situation, she was happy to have learnt something new.

 

“Hyunseung-hyung… is he back yet?” Paro asked.

 

Gikwang bit his lower lip as he glanced at Doojoon, Junhyung, Yoseob, Dongwoon and the girls seeking help. Hongjung and Jaeli had joined them as well, but they were busy with the preparation of the equipment and machinery. Finally Junhyung stepped forward and pat the girl’s head.

 

“Should we go get him?” He asked her.


Paro looked up at the male and stared for a moment. A short silence fell like usual before she blinked and much to everyone’s surprised, shook her head. She wanted him to be here, no doubt, but something in her, told her to hold back this time, to lie, for the first time in her life. A heavy feeling spread through her chest and stomach while her head felt light and a lump formed in . The emotion we would recognise as regret.


Author's note:

Some information revealed about Jae~ And our Jaeli is pissed off. xD

Thanks to all the readers and for sticking with me~ Even though the progress is slow right now. OTL Sorry for that. Please comment! As much as I love reader's I love comments too ;___; 

Stay tuned for the next chapter : ]

Lots of love,

Saenan.