Part Seven: Can I dare to move forward?

What is Love?

Hyunseung walked away from his friends. He didn't realize he walked away from Hyuna until he was about to reach her usual bus stop and saw she wasn't by his side. He stood still for a moment and raced back to the school, but saw the gate locked and closed for the night. He sighed in frustration but then thought if Hyuna wanted to speak to him, she would have already. She's probably giving him space to think. Hyunseung turned to walk home, then he realized that he wanted to talk to her. He just needed to see her and then everything would be okay. 

He rushed to her apartment building, bumping into strangers along the way. He was almost there when he saw her walking ahead of him. This caused him to slow down. He stopped for a moment, not knowing whether he should walk up to her right there and then or wait. He was still catching his breath when he saw her disappear from the corner. He immediately followed after her and there he stopped abruptly. His mind went blank as he saw Hyuna being pulled into a embrace by someone. He didn't know why he was so affected by it. It made him mad all of the sudden. He stared at them and even though a few seconds passed by, to him it felt much longer. He was about to turn away when he locked eyes with Hyuna, who eyes widened from his appearance. Hyunseung suddenly didn't want to walk away. He looked at Hyuna and knew instantly that she didn't like what was happening as he watched her pushed the person away. Her eyes glared at the person beside her and this was the moment that Hyunseung approached her.

Hyunseung barely looked at the person as he looked immediately to Hyuna, who was trying to calm herself from doing anything she would regret. "You're okay?" He asked. She nodded as she looked his way. The way Hyuna looked at him, it just killed Hyunseung. She was so fragile at that moment, it reminded him of when he saw her on the bus.

"Excuse me but who the hell are you?" Joon spoke angrily.

Hyunseung looked at him, very cooly. "I can ask the same to you."

Joon scoffed and looked at Hyuna in disbelief. "So you're the boyfriend that I heard so greatly about."

Hyunseung kept his gaze on him, as he realized where he saw Joon before. The bus. He glanced over at Hyuna who was quiet until  she stepped in between the two guys and looked at Joon directly. She wasn't shaking. She was very confident at that moment. As if she wasn't at all affected by Joon. Even though she was.

"No he isn't." She spoke. "However, even if he is....it has nothing to do with you. Leave now. There's nothing you can said that will change how I feel. As I said before, I want nothing to do with you."

"Seriously?"

"You know me, Joon. I mean every word."

"And I know you, Hyuna. I know you." He pleaded, grabbing a hold of her hands. Hyunseung was about to pull him away from her, but Hyuna shook Joon's hands away from hers. Joon looked at her in disbelief. His gaze changed suddenly to rage and frustration. "Don't do that! Don't blame me for what happened. It was his own fault. You can't toss away our relationship as if it meant nothing."

Hyuna's expression did not change. She was kind of glad that Hyunseung was beside her, or else she would have the courage to speak to Joon at all. "You're the one that toss our relationship away." She said to him. "Please, just leave me alone."

Before Joon could speak, Hyunseung spoke. "You heard her. She doesn't want you anywhere near her." He stepped in front of Hyuna to block Joon from acting the way he did before.

Joon glared at Hyunseung, and he hated that Hyuna was choose this guy over him. He looked over at Hyuna, then back to Hyunseung. "Don't even think I'm going to be this nice the next time I see you."

"Then I won't be as nice as I am right now." Hyunseung retorted. Joon scoffed at Hyunseung and stormed off, disappearing into the busy street.

Hyunseung glanced over to Hyuna to see if she was alright. Hyuna let out a sigh of relief and stumbly sat down on her front stairs. "I'm sorry." She said to him as he sat beside her. Hyuna was embarrassed and scared that Hyunseung saw her past like that.

"Don't be. I understand when it comes to exes. I can tell you that what I saw was actually much better then what I actually went through."

Hyuna cocked her head to him and chuckled softly. He was trying to cheer her up. "Can you care to explain such events?"

Hyunseung shook his head playfully. "Nope."

"That bad?" Hyunseung kept his mouth closed.  "I mean you can't just say something like that and not share, Hyunseung." She nugded him to give her the dirty little details of his ex-girlfriend's breakup encounters. "Come on. Please!" Hyuna sneakily used her cute voice to butter him up.

"No." He responded.

"Totally not fair. You totally just witnessed my screwed past, why can't you share yours?"

"Because it's...." He looked directly into Hyuna's eyes and they both got lost in each other's eyes. Hyuna was the one that broke away. "I get it though." She began to say aloud. "You don't have to say if you don't want to."

"I appreciate that, Hyuna." Hyunseung was quiet a moment later, but found the courage to speak again.  "I'm sorry too."

"Why are you sorry?"

"Maybe if I didn't have to see you right now....I would have witness....I mean I invaded your privacy and even though we're friends...I just..."

"Hyunseung." Hyuna spoke, interrupting him as she touched his hand to stop him from rambling. "I was actually happy you were here when Joon was...I mean it helped me gather strength....in a way, you weren't invading my privacy. You were actually helping me." She gave him an appreciative smile that instantly warmth Hyunseung's heart.

"You're okay though right?"

"I was shaken up, but I'm fine now. I should have guessed he would have come to confront me."

"Can I ask why you guys broke up or is it too forward of me to ask?"

Hyuna shook her to disagree with him for saying such a thing. "No...we broke up because we both ruined a person's life."

Hyunseung looked at her and knew she was sharing something that weighted her heart deeply. He placed his hand over hers. "You can stop where you are right now. You don't have to share if you aren't able to. I won't push you. Like I said earlier today, whenever you're ready, I'm here."

And at that moment, without a second thought. Hyuna leaned toward Hyunseung and kissed the side of one of his cheek. Hyunseung froze when Hyuna leaned away and she wasn't sure how to proceed from there. Hyuna was about to say something when she noticed that Hyunseung remained silent. She started to mutter out whatever came to her head and before she knew it, Hyunseung reached for her and kissed her on the lips. He wasn't thinking either and acted on impulse. He kissed her softly and this time it was Hyuna who froze in shock. They both looked at each other and both knew maybe it was okay to give in to their desire at that moment because at that moment, nothing else seems to matter.

Both of them leaned toward each other again and were going to ignore that little voice in their head that was telling them that this was a bad idea. For once in their life, they were daring to move forward. Even if they both knew something bad would happen, they wanted to just, at that moment, be with each other.

 


 

Dongwoon bid his beautiful girlfriend goodbye, as he pulled her close to him, reaching for a kiss. Her eyes flutter close with anticpation. He smirked handsomely, enjoying the moment. He pressed his lips against hers softly. It wasn't his first kiss. He always has a natural gift when it came to swooning a girl. He knows exactly how to make a girl falls for him and at that moment, he knew she was always smitten by him. 

"I'll see you tomorrow." He smiled to his blushing girlfriend.

"Oppa, I'll be waiting." she said shyly as she tipped toes herself to kiss one of his cheeks before dashing away from embarassment. Dongwoon let out a satisfying smile before walking off to the oppositie direction, where he spotted a young girl with brown hair, looking at him with judgment. Dongwoon's satisfying smile seems to falter away when he approached her.

"You would like to believe after a few years, a person could changes their way....but here is proof that that statment is utterly false." She matter-of-factly stated as he stared at her. One would think such a statement would offend Dongwoon and it would if it have happened to be said by someone else. However, the person in front of Dongwoon is someone that could say the nastiest thing to Dongwoon and he would utterly forgive her instantly because she was simply someone who was very special to him.

She smiled softly at him and then he did the same as he immediately swung his arms around her. "You're here! How are you here?" He began to say, as a huger smile formed. He embraced her with so enthusiasm. He didn't realize he missed her this much until now. He missed her and now that she's here in front of him, he didn't want to let go. "Yah, Kim Sohyun! You could've tell me you're back."

"And miss your reaction. Not a chance." She replied as he continued to hug her happily. Sohyun missed Dongwoon's warmth against her skin. She pulled away when she realized they were hugging longer than they should. She knew Dongwoon doesn't care about those things, but she needed to set boundaries for herself when it came to Jang Dongwoon.

"When did you get back? Why didn't you message me on facebook?" So many questions flooded Dongwoon's mind. Kim Sohyun was right in front of him. He was starting to wonder if he was dreaming all of this. He dreamt of this moment for the longest time. He suddenly lose his smile when he realized she just saw his current girlfriend. He didn't want her to see him like that.

"A while ago. Appa got transfered back to Seoul so we moved back. I wanted to tell you immediately but I sort of lost your number and the internet isn't as reliable in the countryside as it is here in the big city." She answered quietly. She was lying to him and felt gulity for doing so. 

Dongwoon looked at her as Sohyun looked away from him. She remembered when her father first told her about the transfer. She immediately ran to her room and dialed Dongwoon's number to only have a girl  answered. She was so taken back to hear a girl's voice that she hung up before even saying a word. Facebook would've been safer for her but when she opened to his homepage and saw the pictures of Dongwoon with a girl, hugging and looking very much like a couple, Sohyun just couldn't tell him her news. What if he already forgotten about her? What then?

"Still...."Dongwoon said, wanting to say something but stopped himself.

"I see you gotten yourself a girlfriend." Sohyun spoke to break the awkward tension that was forming between them.

"Oh...oh yeah."

"She's pretty. I'm happy for you."

"Are you honestly happy for me?"

Sohyun stopped where she was walking and looked at him. "What do you mean? Of course I'm happy. Why wouldn't I be?"

"You know why." He answered sheepily.

Sohyun froze and wanted to change the subject. Why wouldn't she be happy for him? Without thinking she blurted out. "I've moved on as well." 

Dongwoon pretended that didn't affect him and replied. "Really..."

"Yeah....we have been dating for a couple of months now."

"Does he lives in the countryside?" She nodded. "How did he feel when you told him you were moving?"

"Uh...he was upset but understands and is willing to do whatever it takes to make our relationship."

"Why do I feel like that was a jab at me?" Dongwoon wondered aloud as he looked at Sohyun who stopped at the red stop light.

"Don't take what I say too personally." She responded. Dongwoon looked at Sohyun and he wasn't sure how he's going to function his life now that she was back. He has a girlfriend now and even though he is aware that Sohyun has a boyfriend, he wanted to get back to where he left with her. He still in love with her. He realized that when he set eyes on her again. She's still the same old Sohyun who broke his heart two years ago.

"Do I ever?" He teased, which made her smile.

"I should go. I was supposed to be back five minutes ago."

He nodded. "What's school are you going to?"

"Jungshin High."

Dongwoon smiled brightly. "That's mines and Hyunseung hyung's school. I guess we're classmates again. Like before."

"I guess we are." The red light turned green at that moment. Sohyun glanced at it for a moment before looking at back Dongwoon. "Then I will see you around then." She waved goodbye and began walking away.

Dongwoon waited until she was out of his sight when he departed toward his street. As he was thinking back to the reappearance of Kim Sohyun, he spotted Jiyong standing in front of their front door. Dongwoon stared at his brother strangely before calling his name."Hyung!" Dongwoon approached his brother, who was in a sort of daze as it was obvious that he was thinking about something really hard. "Hyung!" Dongwoon nudged his brother's arm for acknowledgment but Jiyong just avoid him. Dongwoon screamed out Jiyong's name and this time, JiYong turned around, annoyed as ever.

Jiyong looked at his little brother and his mood became worse. His eyes changed from annoyed to piss off in a matter of seconds. Dongwoon put on his bravest face and brushed off his oldest brother's glare.

"I wouldn't have done that if you just answered me before." Dongwoon replied, holding his ground.

Jiyong just looked at Dongwoon. "You didn't have to scream like a crazy person though." He uttered as his mind somewhat switched back to his last thought.

"What were you thinking that caused you to be in such a mood?"

Jiyong shrugged. "Nothing. Are you alone, where's Hyunseung?"

This time it was Dongwoon to shrug. "I don't know. He probably with his friends."

"Is that so....then just go inside first and help mom with dinner."

"You're staying out here?"

"Yeah. I still have things to sort out before I see mom. I don't want to worry her."

Dongwoon only nodded back as he entered the house. Jiyong sat on the front stairs and thought back to that moment that had been struck in his mind since he walked home ten minutes ago.

When Dongwoon entered inside, he discovered his mother looking out the window. He looked over her shoulders and spotted Jiyong sitting on the stairs with his head held low. "Omma." He said to her.

She turned around. "Dongwoon, you're here. I just saw your brother and what's wrong with him?"

"I think something happened at work. He probably just need some time alone. Omma, what's for dinner?"

"Why? Are you hungry?"

He smile brightly at her and nodded. Although Mrs Jang was concerned for her eldest son, she pushed her concerns away knowing it might be for the best and took her youngest son's hand to the kitchen, telling him what she made for dinner. She was distracted the entire time, completely forgeting what to do next. Dongwoon watched over her, worried that she's going to hurt herself and what made it worse was that Jiyong haven't come in yet. 

By the time, Jiyong entered through the kitchen, his mother and Dongwoon were halfway eating their dinner. Mrs. Jang looked over at Jiyong. "Are you hungry? Do you want me to set you a plate?"

Jiyong looked at his mother and shook his head. "I'm just going to go to my room. I'm not hungry."

"Are you sure, Hyung? Omma made your favorite: kimchi stew." Dongwoon stated.

"Maybe later." Jiyong uttered before walking away. 

Dongwoon looked at his brother as he left and felt a strange feeling that something utterly bad happened and he could see his mother was thinking the same. "Omma, eat. It's going to get cold."

She nodded, but her mind went back to Jiyong. "I'm going to make a tray for your brother. Can you text or call Hyunseung and ask when he's coming home. I have something important to you boys."

"Alright." Dongwoon replied as his mother disppearance to the kitchen. Dongwoon reached his phone and texted Hyunseung. Come home. ASAP! Something is up with Jiyong hyung and omma is acting strange as well. She said she has something important to tell us. Hyunseung, I think it's bad news.


 Hyunseung smiled brightly at Hyuna as he continued to kiss her, over and over again. Hyuna smiled sweetly, kissing him back. It was a wonderful moment for them and they didn't want to stop because when they do stop, they have to face reality. Hyunseung caressed Hyuna's arm and leaned more closer, leaving no room between them. He was about to deepen their kiss when Hyunseung's phone buzzed inside his pocket. He was going to ingore it and continued kissing Hyuna, but Hyuna pulled away from his lips. 

"Answer it."

"It just probably Doojoon." He uttered, and leaned forward to her but Hyuna pressed her hands against his chest. "Still." She said. "It might be important." Hyunseung looked at her. "If I answer, then we will continue right?" Hyuna just smiled at him and Hyunseung reached for his phone and spotted Dongwoon's name among Yoseob, Suzy, Junhyung, and Doojoon's missed calls. He read the first one, which was his little brother and it alarmed him. 

"What's wrong?" Hyuna asked immediately when she saw his facial expression changed.

"It's home....something is happening. I have to go." He looked at her, full of worry and anxiety.

"I'm sure it's nothing bad." She stated.

"I hope so. I'll call you later, okay." He kissed her one last time.

"Call whenever you want." Hyuna smiled. Hyunseung smiled back, "I will." And then he departed into the crowded streets. Hyuna hoped nothing bad was happening to Hyunseung's family as she waited until he was out of her sight. 

Hyuna walked to her apartment building, and was kind of shock to see her father, in their living room working on what appear to be his work. He looked up at Hyuna. "You're home early." Hyuna said, sitting beside him.

"I thought you would be here already so I left the office early because I have something to discuss with you."

"What about?"

"Kang Mingu." He said. Hyuna suddenly froze by the mention of that name. Kang Mingu. That name affected Hyuna more than she likes to be. It's a name that change her life and scared her to death. It was the name of the person, who she utterly felt guilty for and caused so much pain and suffering to.

"Is he okay?" She asked. Her father nodded. "He was release from the ICU last week and was placed in a normal caring facility." Hyuna just nodded, not knowing what to say. Her father continued. "He's dropping the lawsuit, Hyuna."

"Why? Why would he do that?"

"I thought that is what you wanted...now it doesn't have to follow you the rest of your life now. You're finally free from this nightmare that we have to suffer for the past five months."

"But how could he just drop the lawsuit? I mean...I ruined his life. He could never walk anymore and it is all because I was in that stupid car." She cried. Hyuna's father reached out his arms to his daughter and embraced her. "It wasn't your fault. How could you have seen him?" But Hyuna couldn't stop crying. She lay her head on her father's shoulder, crying as the awful event flashed in her mind. She has to shut her eyes close to make it disappear. 


 

Jiyong sat in front of his desk, trying to do something productive but his mind wondered back to the news that shook him up. He closed his eyes to rest them when he heard  a knock on his door. He opened his eyes to see his mother standing between his doorway with a tray of kimchi stew and side dishes. "You're busy?" She asked, entering.

He shook his head and immediately took the tray from his mother's hands and set it on the table. Mrs. Jang looked at Jiyong and touched his shoulder gently as he sat down. "Was your father the one that told you?" She asked.

He didn't dare to look at his mother and just cried silently. Mrs. Jang sniffled away the incoming tears that were beginning to stream down her eyes as she bent down and embraced her son as they cried in each other's arms. "I wanted to tell you yesterday, but I didn't have the strength to utter a word. I couldn't. I look at you and your little brothers and it broke my heart."

"When dad coming from from his business trip?"

"Tomorrow. We are going to see a specialist that your father knows from college. But your brothers need to know before your father arrived because he doesn't have the stregth to lie to them."

"Then are you telling them tonight?"

"I'm going to need your help. I could barely sit beside Dongwoon without tearing." She told him. Jiyong hugged his mother once again and told her. "I won't leave your side."


Hyunseung felt the tension of the dining room when he entered inside. His eyes first glanced to Dongwoon who was sitting opposite of his mother and Jiyong. He eyed Dongwoon, and nonverbally asked him what's happening. Dongwoon answered with a "I don't know" face and hinted that it involves them being on the bad side and Jiyong and his mothers on the good's.

Mrs. Jang smiled warmly to Hyunseung and motioned him to sit beside Dongwoon. "What's going on?" Hyunseung said to Jiyong and his mother, who remained quiet on their part.

Mrs. Jang was the one to speak first. "Boys." She looked at each Dongwoon and Hyunseung with warm smiles that it only caused the two of them to worry more. "There's something you must know..." She stopped when she felt tears were coming. Jiyong looked at his mother and held her hand for comfort.

"You see..." He began to say but couldn't find the right words. He began again when he thought of the right words, but was interrupted by Hyunseung. 

"What the heck is going on, Hyung?" Hyunseung and Dongwoon both looked like lost puppies all the sudden to Jiyong, which made it worse to tell them the truth.

"Honey." Mrs. Jang managed to say through her tears. "Do you remember when I went to have my annual check-up a couple of weeks ago? Well...the doctor discovered something through my x-ray scans. He scheduled another appointment for me and that was a day ago and...."

Hyunseung gulped as he knew what his mother was going to say. He could see Dongwoon about to burst into tears. "Is it serious?" Hyunseung managed to say aloud.

"The doctor said it's stage II cancer." She answered.

"That's bad, right? Stage II means the cancer is invasive." Dongwoon blurted out.

"I know you guys have a lot of questions but can that until your father returns back from his trip." Mrs. Jang said quietly. All of her son's eyes were on her and she didn't have the strength to be "mom" at the moment.

"When are you starting treatment?" Hyunseung asked.

"I schedule an appointment with a specialist for tomorrow. I will know then where to begin. It's a lot isn't it? I didn't want to burden you with this but you three are big enough to see that I have been off lately. It wouldn't have been right to lie. I love you boys so much and this will only be a little bump that we all have to strive to fight together...right?" She looked over to Dongwoon, who was crying beside her. She embraced him in her famous motherly embrace. She motioned her other sons to join her and they did. All three of her sons hurdled together for a group hug as they consoled their mother.