Part Five: Phone calls

What is Love?

Hyuna smiled softly as she brushed her hair, thinking of the fun she had with Hyunseung and his friends. He was right. They were nice, especially Suzy. Maybe she was finally starting the new life she wanted so much since she transfered a month ago. Hyunseung has become such an unexpected part of her life now and she was starting to worry that she was liking it too much. She can't be too happy though. Her past is still weighting over her. She set down her brush and stared at the mirror. She stared at herself, thinking of the past. Her mind went straight to Lee Joon and the last time she saw him. She remembered how it terrified her. She began to wonder if Hyunseung knows the truth to why she transfered. But if he did, how could he still hang out her? He wouldn't be smiling the way he does when he around her. Hyuna knew she was becoming too happy...too settled.

Before Hyuna could think about it anymore, her phone buzzed on her nightstand. She glanced over it and saw Hyunseung's name blinking through the screen. She picked it up and answered it. "Hey."

"Hey." He spoke. 

Hyuna eased over to her bed. She pushed away the bad thoughts of her past and changed her tone to more playful. "What's up?"

"Nothing. I just wanted to know if you got home safe." He answered. Hyuna let out a small smile. "I mean...the bus was okay, right?" Hyuna's smiled fell when she realized what Hyunseung meant by the bus. He wanted to know if she ran into Lee Joon again. The fact that he remembers that.....worried Hyuna. He haven't really said anything about for the last couple of weeks since that time Hyunseung kindly helped her avoid her former classmates.

"It was fine." She replied, not knowing what else to say. She haven't run into Lee Joon or his friends since that time but she was always worried about it. She tried to avoid taking the bus in general but that just makes her life more miserable. She has to face them no matter what anyway.

She could sense that Hyusneung was relieved to hear that and went straight to the reason why he was actually calling. "So, I think tonight was a success. My friends really like you."

"I really like them too. I've never really thought Yoon Doojoon to be such a joker before. He surprised me." She smiled.

"Um yeah...Doojoon takes pride in telling jokes. He actually said one time that it's his mission to make us laugh at least ten times a day."

"Really?"

"Yeah...it may have something to due with the fact that his family is always too serious and busy that they don't laugh or have fun.So Doojoon always want laughter around him. He's been like that since we were kids. He hates silence."

"You guys are really good friends. I haven't really experienced that kind of friendship before."

"You have never really experieced that? Didn't you made friends back in your old school?" Hyuna paused, unsure to how to answer that. "Sorry. I'm prying too much, aren't I?" Hyunseung spoke to break the silence.

"No...it wasn't like I didn't have friends before...."

"I didn't mean to say that..."

"I know. You weren't trying to make it seemed that way. I know Hyunseung. I mean I do have one friend that I can rely on but she's in Japan....and the truth is my friends...in the end weren't really friends that I could count on. "

After a couple of seconds passed by, Hyunseung spoke. "Can I ask why?"

Hyuna didn't know if she can open up to Hyunseung. She was afraid of what it would do to their friendship or whatever it is that is happening between them. When Hyuna remained quiet for more than two minutes, Hyunseung knew he asked the impossible. "Hey, nevermind...it's late I should let you sleep." And before Hyuna could reply, Hyunseung hung up. Hyuna dropped her phone beside her and buried her head onto her knees as tears began to form.

Meanwhile, Hyunseung just stared at his phone, not knowing what the hell he was doing. He sighed loudly as he tossed his phone away onto the nightstand and buried his head into his pillow, wanting the power to make that conversation disappear from existence.


JiYong poured all the drinks of his superiors as they mumbled to themselves. It was Friday night and instead of enjoying his night off, he was forced to come to a company party. His co-workers have to beg him to join them, as it was very rare for JiYong to particpate in these kind of things. He wanted to say no, but he knew if he didn't come, he was out of running for the next head manager position. He swallowed his pride and sharp tongue and joined his co-workers and supervisors as they drank themselves to no end. 

He played along, sang a couple of songs that made all his female co-workers fawned over him. He played his part so well that by the end of the night, they didn't want him to stop. He wanted to refuse, however he couldn't. His job was on the line. He excused himself when he saw no one was looking and escaped to the restroom, where he heard nothing about nasty remarks about him from his fellow co-workers in the next stalls. Of course it made him furious. But he couldn't do anything but control himself from doing anything drastic. He waited out until they left the room. He looked at the mirror and wondered why he's there in the first place. He didn't need to be there. He didn't want to be there....so why does he have to endure such remarks from those lowlifes? Why? He wondered so much and then his answered rang in his pocket.

He reached for his cellphone and composed himself before answering it. "Yes, omma."

"Sweetie, are you staying out again tonight?"

"Yes.....did you go to hospital today?"

"I did."

"The result?"

"I will tell you when you get home, sweetie. I won't keep you. Have fun."

"Omma?"

"Yes, my dear?"

"Are you going to tell Hyunseung and Dongwoon about it?"

"Not yet. Soon, when your father comes home."

"You can't keep them in the dark anymore. They're coming adults soon and they won't like it if they heard from other people."

"I will tell soon, JiYong. They're still young and need to enjoy their life while they can. I won't burden them with this illness yet."

JiYong closed his eyes, trying so hard to not lose it at that moment. "I understand."

"Is the company treating you well?"

"Of course."

"Your uncle?"

"He treats me well. The company treats me well. You have nothing to worry about."

"Okay, my dear. I'm hanging up now. See you at home."

"Yeah...See you at home." Ji Yong responded with a heavy heart. He placed his phone in his pocket when a co-worker called him back in and headed back in, putting on a happy smile.


Dongwoon couldn't help but feel that something was off with his two older brothers. At first he just assumed they were tired, but it was already mid-afternoon and both his brothers are just staring at the television in a lifeless daze, not paying attention to the variety show that was playing in front of them. He wanted to ask what was the matter, but decided not to as he valued his life. The last time he asked them something when they were both in this kind of mood, he nearly was destroyed by their meanness. He loves his brothers, but man were they vicious to him when they are in a mood. And that afternoon, both his brothers were in a mood, and judging by their expression, it's a bad one.

Dongwoon inched away from the living room and headed toward the kitchen, where he saw his mother cleaning the dishes. "Omma, let me help you."

"Omo, what's the occassion?" His mom retorted, looking at her son weirdly.

"You make it seem as if I don't help." Dongwoon declared as he grabbed the dishes from his mother's hand. 

"Because you don't..." She answered, sneering him but smiled as she moved away and started preparing for dinner. "Dongwoon?"

"Yeah?"

"Why are your brothers acting  like zombies?" She asked, as she realized her sons were being strangely inactive. JiYong was lying on the larger couch, staring at the ceiling, while Hyunseung was siting beside him on the other chair, thinking about something.

Dongwoon shrugged. "Probably girl's problems." He laughed, knowing that wasn't anywhere close to the reason. While his mother was worried and wondered what were going through her sons' mind. 


Hyuna tried to place more attention on her homework, but her mind just keeps glancing over to her phone. She didn't even know what she was expecting. Was she expecting Hyunseung to call her? She shook that thought away and tried to be more practical. "Hyunseung is your friend, Hyuna....nothing more and you need to accept that. Please accept that." She said to her as she placed her head on her desk, feeling stupid all the sudden. She suddenly perked up when she heard her phone buzzed beside her. A smile formed and then falter when she realized it not from Hyunseung but an old classmate from her previous school. Hyuna stared at it as it buzzed beside her. She was going to ignore it, knowing nothing good could happen if she answers, but the more it buzzed, the more it bother her. 

"Hello?" She finally answered.

"I thought for a second it would go straight to voicemail. It's good to hear your voice Kim Hyuna. Joon oppa was right. You haven't move to New York afterall."

The mention of Lee Joon's name sent goosebumps to Hyuna as she tried to stay composed. She thought back to the bus and the finale look he gave her when she exited the bus with Hyunseung. She could remember it clearly. It was full of anger and pity.

She haven't spoken to Lizzy since what happened back in her old school. Hyuna suddenly regretted answering the phone. "Nope. I'm still in Seoul." She responded.

"Really?" Lizzy said with laughter afterward. "You should've told us! The gang missed you, specfically Joon oppa."

Hyuna knew Lizzy was trying to bait her. Hyuna didn't say a word, so Lizzy continued. "Seriously, he misses you. He has been such a drag lately since you left....you should come back. School isn't the same without you." Lizzy's tone of voice changed from cheerful to mild aggressive. Hyuna thought back to her time at school and remembered it clearly. She flashed back to Lizzy and her nasty smirk that she gave Hyuna when she arrived to school one morning. Before that day, Lizzy would always smile warmly to Hyuna but that changed when the incident happened.

"Why did you call, Lizzy?" Hyuna retorted, shaking away the memory from her mind.

"Oh I heard you already move on with another man....you moved fast, Kim Hyuna...when it was only yesterday when Mr. Kang..."

"Lizzy." Hyuna interputed. "Don't drag him into this. Did you already have your fun? Ruining a man's reputation like that."

"I did? No...it was you who ruin that poor man's reputation as it was you that was caught..."

"You know that wasn't the truth!" Hyuna yelled, as the memories flooded her mind. Tears were forming.

"Maybe. No one would believe you even if you were telling the truth. That man lost his entire life because of you and that, Hyuna is a fact."

Hyuna hung up the phone suddenly, as she remembered that day clearly. She tossed her phone toward her bed, as her legs gave in. She couldn't stop the tears as they burst. Hyuna bent her knees close to her, and cried her heart out as she remembered the man that she ruined.