Part Six: The Green Monster

What is Love?

Hyunseung stared at Hyuna. He made sure it wasn't obvious, but he saw the looks Suzy gave him whenever she looks his way. He ignored Suzy's constant stares for the most part and tried to pay attention to Doojoon's story, but his eyes kept glancing over to Hyuna, who for the most part was distracted by something. He wanted to ask her what's wrong, but he never found a good opening to do so. 

Hyuna just played with her lunch, not eating anything. She was quiet all morning and would lightly smiled to certain things that the group were saying. Her mind was somewhere else and Hyunseung was worried it has something to do with their little phone call the other night. Hyunseung also noticed how Hyuna barely recognized him as she approached with Suzy and Yoseob. She just sat down and showed little excited. Suzy told Hyunseung that Hyuna has been off the whole morning. 

This worried Hyunseung more. He was anxious, wondering if her mood has something to do with him. Then he thought he was being too full of himself. He watched her all throughout lunch. He barely touched his food, but that wasn't unusual for him. He watched her gazed over her meal. He could tell she was thinking hard about something as he noticed her brow crinkled a little. He wanted to speak up again but lost his chance when the next class bell rang. 

Hyuna jolted from her seat. She rushed away from the table, as if something scared her. It was then that Hyunseung noticed her phone in her hand and Hyuna was holding it tightly as she went off. Suzy called out her name, and looked to Hyunseung before running after her.

Hyunseung just felt a mixture of uncertaintity at that moment. He felt as if at that moment, he just..sort of lost her.


Hyuna clutched her phone as she rushed away from the table. It was buzzing as a name popped onto the screen. She ignored her friend's calling her as she raced toward the roof for privacy. She looked down at her phone when she saw that she was alone. Her eyes gazed over the screen as her heart dropped from seeing the caller's name. The phone continued to buzz. "You can't call me like this." She uttered. No one answered. "I told you before that I wanted a fresh start. You can't do this anymore...calling me like this."

"I'm sorry." A voice uttered on the other line. It was a man's voice. His voice caused Hyuna to froze. It was happening again. Just like when she was on the bus. Just knowing his presence was there just scared her.

"Weren't you the one that say you would never call me? Weren't you the one that broke us apart? Weren't you the one that called me a and liar? You were supposed to believe me and not take her side..." She stopped herself there, not wanting to go further.

"Can I meet you?" He responded.

"No." She answered.

"Please." His voice was stern, but softer than before. "Hyuna, just please..."

"Why should I?"

"Because you still love me."

"Don't be so full of yourself."

"Why? Because of that guy?"

The mention of Hyunseung threw Hyuna off. She took a second to compose herself. "Leave him out of it."

"Does he know? Does he know the reason why you transfered to that school?"

Hyuna has to exhale before losing it. "Even if he does, how does it concern you?"

"Just meet me and I will never bother you again."

"Whatever you want to say, just say it Joon."

"I like it better to see you in person."

"Never going to happen. I don't want to see you....not after everything."

"I was stupid....you can't blame me for what happened. How could I just..."

"Don't you dare make yourself the victim. You could've stop them. You could've stop them, Joon..." Her voice broke as she started to tear up. 

"I know."

"You didn't though and I can never forgive you for that. Because of that choice, a man's life is ruined. Because I thought something happened, I went to him and what did you do? You signed his death warrant and I took the blame....because I was stupidly in love with you." Before Joon could respond, Hyuna closed her phone and cried aloud as the pain hit her. 

Unknown to Hyuna, Suzy was standing on the other side of the wall. Her eyes swelled up, wanting to hug Hyuna for comfort but she couldn't move. She knew Hyuna wouldn't wanted her to know about this. Suzy composed herself before leaving her friend. Suzy didn't know what to think. Suzy though back to Hyuna's last sentence. It shook her. It was all Suzy could think of that she didn't notice her boyfriend calling her name. It wasn't until Yoseob touched her arm that Suzy focused away from her thoughts.

"You're okay?" Yoseob asked, worried. Suzy nodded her head. "Of course." However mind went back to Hyuna. She needed Hyunseung. "Where's Hyunseung?"

"Back in his classroom. Why? Did something happen?" Suzy looked at her wonderful boyfriend. "I just need to find him." She kissed him on the cheek shortly after and rushed to find Hyunseung, leaving a confused Yoseob in the middle of the hallway. 

When she found Hyunseung, with his head on his desk. She thought back to Hyuna, crying on the roof. She made her way to Hyunseung and nugded him. Hyunseung opened his eyes to see Suzy standing over him and her expression worried him. "What's wrong?" He asked.

"Hyuna. Roof. Go now."

Hyunseung looked at Suzy and immediately jolted toward the roof, passing Amber, Myungsoo and Doojoon along the way. His mind went straight to horrible, nasty things that terrified him. He barely was breathing as he made it to the roof. He slammed the door wide open and immediately searched for her. He was about to call her name when he saw her leaning against the wall. Her eyes were closed and she was wearing headphones. He felt relief for a moment, and then he saw them. He saw the tears. She was crying.

He quietly approached her and slouched beside her. She doesn't seem to notice him, so Hyunseung looked at Hyuna for a moment. Then he moved her arm around her and placed her head on his shoulder, which caused her to open her eyes. "Babo, didn't I tell you to find me when you want to escape from this crappy school. What makes you so special to skip class without me?"

Hyuna slightly smiled, and closed her eyes again. "It felt so much better without you though..." She teased and then her tone of voice changed. "I'm sorry for being weird today...you were worried, huh?"

"Of course."

"Are you going to ask me why?"

"Why what?"

"The reason for my weirdness?"

"If you wanted to tell me, you would have already. You don't have to explain. You don't have to tell me what happened that made you so quiet and weird. I just hope you know that I'm here." He looked at her, sincerely. "I'm here for you."

Hyuna smiled, which made Hyunseung smiled back. "Do you want to listen?" She took out a piece of her earbud and held it in front of Hyunseung, who gladly took it. "It isn't BEAST, right?"

"You're ears are safe, jackass." She retorted, which made Hyunseung laughed, causing her to laugh as well.

On the other side of the roof, Doojoon watched them from afar. When Hyunseung ran passed him in such a rush, he was worried something happened so he followed him and there he discovered them. He didn't know why it pained him to watch Hyunseung and Hyuna being so close. It wasn't like Hyuna is his girlfriend or anything. Hyunseung and Hyuna are free to speak, laugh, or/and even listen to music together...so why was Doojoon feeling jealous of his best friend with the girl he might...sort of has a crush on? He immediately hated that feeling and walked away, disliking the green monster that was beginning to form within him.


 After listening to music for the rest of the school day, both Hyunseung and Hyuna walked back down to their respected classroom. "Wait for me. I'll take you home." Hyunseung said. Hyuna nodded. Hyunseung smiled and took off to get his things. Hyuna entered her classroom, where most of the students were packing to leave. She spotted Suzy and smiled at her. Suzy smiled back, kind of awkwardly. "Was Hyunseung with you just now?"

"Yeah."

"That's good." Suzy said quietly, but Hyuna heard her. However she pretended not to, as Suzy spoke again. "You're smiling. That's good. I was worried since you weren't really yourself this morning."

"Did I really worry you?"

"Yes." Suzy declared.

Hyuna smiled lightly. "I'm sorry for worrying you."

"We're friends. It's kind of the job to worry about each other." She answered. Yoseob joined them shortly with Amber, who headed toward her seat.

"We should eat something before we go home." Yoseob stated to Suzy.

"We should!" Suzy smiled and immediately looked at Hyuna. Before Hyuna could reply, Suzy declared. "You're coming and I'm not taking no for an answer. Amber, you too!"

Hyuna glanced over to Amber who was trying to find excuses to not come, but Suzy wasn't hearing it. "Nope. We're friends and I haven't been able to see you outside of school in the longest time because of your stupid little fight with Hyunseung. You're coming."

Hyuna didn't know what was happening. She thought back to that time, she sort of listened to Hyunseung and Amber's conversation. Yoseob must have read her mind, as he explained to her the history that is between Hyunseung and Amber.

"It's not a fight." Amber said, as she glanced over to Hyuna for a moment. "We're not fighting."

"Then come." Suzy demanded.

Before Amber could reply, Myungsoo came in as Hyunseung came through the other side. Amber's eyes swayed to Myungsoo and then to Hyunseung, who took noticed of Myungsoo and knew his presence would just cause problems for Amber. He approached toward them. He looked over at Amber, before turning  to Hyuna. "Ready?"

Hyuna looked at him and didn't know what to say as she felt the tension that was coming from Amber, Myungsoo and Hyunseung. "Uh yeah."

Suzy turned to Hyunseung, wanting to defuse the situation. "We are going out to eat right now, Hyunseung. Care to join us!"

Hyunseung kept his gaze on Suzy, but noticed Amber beside her. Myungsoo joined them and looked over at Hyunseung, annoyed. The air around them was heavy and tense.

"Amber, let's go." He grabbed Amber's hand, taking her away from the group. Amber gave an apologetic look toward Hyunseung, to which Hyunseung received with understanding. He knew the reason and understood. He gave her a warm smile that Hyuna noticed immediately.

Yoseon sighed shortly afterward, as Suzy pouted sadly. Her group was falling apart before her eyes and she couldn't do anything. Hyunseung apologized to Suzy for causing the problem to which Suzy responded angrily. "It isn't your fault! This whole stupid thing is caused by those idiotic fans of Myungsoo."

"Even so, it was my actions that caused the rumors to spread." Hyunseung said.

"What actions were that be, Hyunseung?" Yoseob stated. "You didn't do anything wrong. Myungsoo's just angry. He will get over it."

"He may...but my relationship with Amber will never be the same as before. We can never talk freely to each other anymore without causing words to spread. It's better this way." Hyunseung said, walking away.


Suzy shouted out her frustration as Yoseob and Hyuna walked beside her. Hyuna thought it was best to leave Hyunseung alone. Yoseob looked at Suzy, frustrated as well. He sighed heavily and looked at Hyuna, who was very quiet since they left school. "You can always call him if you're that worried." He said, startled Hyuna.

Hyuna looked at Yoseob. "I shouldn't."

"What's happening right now is hard for Hyunseung. Amber is a very good friend to Hyunseung and you can say there might have been something between them before...but that was way before Kim Myungsoo came into the picture. Friendship is everything to him. He may look like a cold person but under all that hard exterior, he's the most kindest guy you could ever meet. You may be a jackass at times, but he's there for you. That's why the situation with Amber is trickly. She's Suzy best friend and yet she can't be around Suzy because Suzy will always be around Hyunseung. Suzy hates that Amber is choosing a boy over friendships, but doesn't say anything because she knows she would have done the same if she was put in that position."

"Were the rumors that bad? For Myungsoo to act like that?"

Yoseob thought for a moment and nodded. "Myungsoo is a good guy and he would never harm Amber. However he gets jealous easily and he knows Amber was once in love with Hyunseung, though Hyunseung doesn't know that piece of information."

"Was...." She began to say, but couldn't. Yoseob looked at Hyuna and knew what she wanted to ask and shook his head. "No, Hyunseung has never saw Amber like that and Amber knew that, therefore she went out with Myungsoo. That was two years ago." 

Hyuna just nodded her head, not knowing what to say. She looked up at the night sky and wondered if Hyunseung was okay.


Amber walked away from Myungsoo, annoyed by his immature behaviors. He ran after her, asking her to stop walking away. He wasn't yelling. His tone was soft and apologetic. "I'm sorry." He declared as he finally got a hold of her hand. Amber didn't dare to look at him. "Look at me." He urged her.

Amber sighed. "Why do you always have to make it seems like you're the good guy, while I'm the bad one. I can't even talk to my best friend without you going paranoid, Myung. You can't trust me. I see it in your eyes, so don't deny it." She cried, heartbroken. "I tried so hard to make you realize that I love you, not Hyunseung! But you keep on focusing on that year when we weren't even dating. Yes, I loved him. However he never saw me like that. No guy did, ever. I gave up and wished mylife just stop at that moment....but then you appeared out of nowhere. You gave your whole heart to me and made me love you. So why can't you trust me?"

Myungsoo looked at Amber. He was crying  too as he pulled Amber into an embrace. "I don't know why I can't trust you. Everytime I see you with him. I can't help but think you would have been happier with him instead of me." He uttered. "He understands you more. You guys have this little secret world that I can't be included and I can't help but feel insecure around him. I know you love me. I know that but that little green monster keeps appearing and all knowledge vanish from me and I just assume these awful things that I know can't be true but then I see you laughing with him, or smiling and I just lose it."

"How long have you felt this way?"

"A long time and I'm sorry for that."

"You can't be jealous of Hyunseung, Myung. You can't because you have nothing to be jealous of. I love you, only you."

"I'm an idiot. I love you so much, Amber. Forgive me." Amber cried on his shoulder. They continued to hug each other, not wanting to let go.


Hyuna said goodbye to Yoseob and Suzy when they reached the intersection of her street. She hugged Suzy and waved goodbye as she watched them walked the opposite direction. Once she saw them disappeared from her sight, she started making her way down her street. She plugged her headphone into her ears and zoned out the street noise. When she approached her father's apartment, she noticed a tall figure. She immediately thought it was Hyunseung and raced toward him to only be taken back to see someone else. Someone she didn't expect to appear in front of her.

"What are you doing here?" She said, coldly. The figure turned to face her and it was no other than Lee Joon. He looked at her and before Hyuna could utter another word, Joon suddenly forced his arms around her, pulling her into a hug. Hyuna was too shocked to retort a response, when she saw from the corner of her eyes, Hyunseung walking toward her, looking at her and Lee Joon hugging.