Part three: The Bus

What is Love?

Hyuna stared at the mirror for a good long minute before deciding that she needs a makeover. Something different. Something that will allow herself to cast aside the old her and embrace the new Kim Hyuna. But as she looked at herself, a question began to form. Who exactly is the new Hyuna? Who did she want to become? She didn't know how to answer that. All she knows was to not become the same girl who was too weak minded to stand up for herself. 

She didn't want to repeat the same mistake again at this school. She made a vow that she should live this last year as a normal day to day student, who do nothing but schoolwork. That way she is invisble by the watchful eyes of attackers. She wasn't blind to not know that every school has their bully and her new school wasn't any different. 

It has been almost two weeks since she transferred and so far no one started anything. She found that to be strange. She knew the rumors has already spread through the school so why weren't there any response from her new classmates. Before she could ponder the thought any further, her father called her for breakfast.

"Okay, I'll be down soon!" She yelled through the door. She glanced back at the mirror and pouted as she decided not to care about her appearance.  When she arrived downstairs, her father was already biting into his toast. Her eyes widened slightly as she gazed over at the table to see bacons, eggs and toasts. 

"American style breakfast..." She muttered as she stared at her father. "Appa, are you ill?" She suddenly remembered how her father threw a fit that since they live in Korea, they should have rice, soup and kimchi for their breakfast, not stinking toast. She thought at the time why he was making such a fuss about it, but now she knows he was throwing a fit about something else.

"It's a peace offering." He said, spreading jam onto his toast.

"Well I don't like toast."

He looked at her. "Ah then don't eat..." He started to take away the toasts and bacons in front of her.

"But I do love bacons!" She smiled hastily, as she felt her stomach growled.

"Here." He grabbed the plate of bacons and placed it in front of her. "Eat as much as you want." She nodded and took a bit of bacon.

"So why the peace offering?"

"Uh....well, sweetheart you need to call her mother back. She is worried that you hate her for not sending you to New York like you wanted."

"I don't hate her." She declared, biting a huge piece of bacon.

"Hyuna." Her father said in disbelief.

She looked at him. "Do I really have to call her?"

"You can't stay mad at her forever."

"It isn't about not being able to go to New York anymore. I got over it. But you and I know the real reason why I can never go there..." She rise from her chair, annoyed.  "And that's why I hate her right now." She grabbed her bookbag and began to walk away when her father called out her name.

"Where are you going?!"

"School!" She shouted, leaving her father's studio apartment.


Hyunseung decided to walk to school when JiYong offered to take him and Dongwoon. JiYong looked at him. "Are you sure?"

Hyunseung nodded. "I'd rather walk and get all the fresh air I can before the weather gets colder." Hyunseung reached for his bookbag as Dongwoon stumbled down the stairs.  

"Are you really sure about walking to school?" JiYong asked again. "I don't mind."

"Hyung, you're walking?" Dongwoon uttered, surprised.

"Yah, you guys make it seem that I don't like walking."

Both JiYong and Dongwoon looked at each other. "Well.." They began to say but was stopped when their mother entered the room. She looked at all three of them with her hands on her hips. "Why are you guys still here?" 

"We're leaving, Omma." JiYong quickly stated, pushing Hyunseung and Dongwoon out the door. Dongwoon nearly tripped as JiYong pushed him near his car. Hyunseung placed his bookbag on his shoulder and looked at JiYong. "I'm leaving." He called out as JiYong opened his car's door.

Before JiYong could protest, Hyunseung was already far too gone. Dongwoon looked over to JiYong. "Hyung, let's go."

JiYong looked at Dongwoon and nodded as he wondered whether Hyunseung was really okay.


Hyuna sighed as she walked toward the bus stop, thinking back to her conversation with her father. What did he believe would happen? How can she not be angry with her mother after everything? Her mother just pretends to care about her. Otherwise she wouldn't have moved to another country. She was stating to hate the feeling that was building within her. 

When the bus arrived, she stepped inside as she scanned the bus for an empty seat. She found one and made her way toward it. She plugged her earphones in when she felt eyes were on her. She knows people would think she's so conceited to think that way, but after the chaos she suffered through, she couldn't risk the chance.  She didn't mean to glance back toward where she felt the eyes were coming from. She regretted it when she saw someone she knew. Her eyes locked on his as he was laughed at something the person beside him said. She immediately looked away, hoping and praying he didn't see her. If she acted like she didn't notice him, everything would be okay.

But unfortunately, he noticed and his smiling face faltered. He didn't dare to say her name but his friends saw her immediately and menacing smiles formed. Hyuna felt a chill all sudden. 

His name is Lee Joon. He's the most popular guy that Hyuna had ever met and like an idiot, she fell for him. Fell for him hard, until he threw her away like trash. She didn't understand why though. Why he suddenly treated her like trash? Why he allowed his friends to attack her like that?

Hyuna felt her hands shaking as she pretended not to notice they were about to approach her. She felt her eyes closing as she sensed their closeness, but she opened them. She decided to not be the pushover they imagined her to be. She's going to be strong. Fearless. But her hands began to shake again when she remembered the horrible things they did to her. She stared at her hands. Babo. She thought. Are you really going to give them the satisfaction of seeing you like this? Are you really going to let them win again?

She kept her eyes on her hands when she heard them muttering to each other. "Hey isn't that Kim Hyuna?" "It must be." "Hey let's go say "hello" to her."

However unknown to Hyuna, Lee Joon told his friends to cut it out but they didn't listen and continued toward her.

She wasn't ready. She wasn't ready to see those monsters again. She thought back to him. Back to his stupid smiling face. How could he just stand by and watch them treat her this way. It's because he's a coward. He placed all the blames on you and you were the only one who suffered. How could you love a person like him?

But she did love him. Loved him with all her heart.She felt stupid all sudden as she felt tears breaking through. She didn't want them to see her like this. Babo. She thought again. Their voice became louder as they moved closer. She decided she can't back away. Not after everything and when she turned to embrace their presence, someone she didn't expect to even appear in front of her was in front of her. She looked at him, startled, surprised and ashamed. Before she could say a word, he instantly wrapped his arm around her. She became more confused.

"Yah, Jang Hyunseung." She uttered, trying to break away, but he wouldn't budge.

"Just...follow my lead." He stated, pulling her closer as if they are a couple. She stared at him, wondering what the heck he was going on about. 

"Why should I?" She responded, pushing away awkwardly. He looked at her gently and nodded toward her old classmates. Her eyes slowly gazed toward Lee Joon and his group of friends, who were retreating back to their seat. She noticed Lee Joon's hurt expression before she glanced back to Hyunseung. 

"See, I'm helping." He said quietly as he grabbed a piece of her earphone from her ear and placed it in his one of his ears. He looked at her again. No music was playing.

"I don't want your help." She replied quietly as she realized they were just centimeters apart. She didn't mean to stare at his lips all sudden. She averted her eyes somewhere else and before she knew it, she just stared straight at his eyes. His beautiful eyes.

She watched him formed a small smirk. "Then why were your hands shaking...." Her eyes gazed over toward her hands. They were still shaking, but it was a different tremble from before. 

She couldn't say anything, even when she most definitely wanted to. She kept her eyes on him. "Why are you even helping me?"

He shrugged. "I don't know." But he was lying. He did know why he was helping her. He didn't like how easily she was affected by those guys. He saw the fear in her eyes and he wondered if this had something to do with the rumors that was spreading in school. He also didn't like the looks of those guys. They were punks to Hyunseung and he hated punks, especially those who prey on girls like Hyuna. "Just bear with it until we arrived at our school stop." He declared.

Hyuna continued looking at him, still confused or trying to make sense to why Jang Hyunseung involving himself in her mess. "Who are they anyway?" He spoke.

Hyuna felt her eyes gazed toward him again. The man who broke her heart apart and she saw him looking at her, irritated. She scoffed at the sight of that as she looked back at Hyunseung. "They don't concern you, Jang Hyunseung."

Hyunseung looked at her, wanting to say something but didn't. "Alright....but if you keep looking over there, it defeats what we are doing right now."

"And what are we doing right now?"

"We're pretending that we are dating." He stated, grabbing her iPod and pressed play as he placed his arm around her again. "I'm sorry if I'm making you uncomfortable." He shifted his weight to make it more comfortable, which just make it more awkward for them. Hyuna wondered why Hyunseung was doing this. From what she knows of Jang Hyunseung, he was completely different from what she thought him to be. She was sorry at that moment, for judging him. 

"I'm sorry as well."

"For?" He asked, fiddling with her iPod.

"For dragging you into my problem....even though I have never even asked you to."

"You would do the same though, wouldn't you?" He watched Hyuna carefully at that moment. She blinked almost two times as she stared at him, uncertain how to reply back. Is he really this nice under that cold persona?

"That's just it....we aren't friends so why should you concern yourself with my problems?"

Hyunseung kept his eyes on her. "Would you back away when you saw someone in a desperate state." Desperate state? 

"I wouldn't call it desperate per say...."

Hyunseung just looked at her. "Hyuna, we don't have to friends for me to help you out. What happens to the girl that stole my spot and never looked back? she has more backbone than you right now. I won't pry into your business but it seem like to me that you needed someone to lean on."

"Pretending to be dating though...." She muttered.

"Are you really worried about what he thinks?" He glanced toward Lee Joon, who was possibly fuming as his friends said something that pissed him off more. 

"Like I care what that bastard thinks..." She muttered.

"Then why should it matter." He stated.

"That's easy for you to say. " She muttered again.

"I didn't figure you as someone who cares what others say....by the way, I really like this song."

"This song?" Hyuna paused to really listen to the song that was playing in her iPod. It was Aziatix's Go. ""I can't really remember who sing this. Who are they?"

"Ah, it's Aziatix. They are an Asian-American group.. So it wouldn't be that surprising  ifyou can't recall them right away. Not many people know them."

"I like it. The song." He smiled. Hyuna looked at him and she found herself lost in his smile. He smiles beatifully. She can understand now why girls fawn over him. "Are all of their songs in English?"

Hyuna nodded, completely forgetting for a moment what they were talking about before. "Interesting." He said.

Hyuna watched him mumbling along to the song. Hyunseung smiled as he nodded to the beat and when he glanced over to Hyuna, he was pleasantly taken aback to see her nodding along as well.  He smiled at that. He started to wonder why people would tarnish her name the way they did. She seems like the bubbly type that people adores over or maybe that was indeed  her personality before transferring here. 

"Anyway, what I was trying to say earlier is that..." He began to say. "it doesn't suit you. It's strange that the fearless girl who manage to take me out of my spot could be trembling at the sight of those baboons." Hyuna paused at that. "But I can understand those moments when you can't help but be weak. It's something we can't help but be."

Hyuna looked at him, touched by his words. You're definitely something else, Jang Hyunseung. She smiled softly and asked if he wanted the names of the Aziatix's other songs, to which Hyunseung smiled with a yes.  They began discussing other artists and simply forgot what they were supposed to be doing.