Epilogue

Only You

Epilogue, n.

-a concluding part

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They say that when one story ends, another one begins. Like Taemin and Naeun, their story doesn’t end with a proposal – it starts with a proposal. The word proposal itself means before; it is a plan; a plan to start something new. Taemin and Naeun have a story – and a story follows a logical sequence. But theirs didn’t. It was unconventional, but that made it all the more special; all the more unique; all the more sincere; and all the more magical. To follow a logical sequence, a proposal should end with the man placing a ring on the woman’s finger. The ring is a symbol of eternity; like all the roads were always leading to them being together and they will continue to walk on one path after they marry. It is a promise of a life together. All lives should be treasured – but not all stories end happy. It turns out that Taemin and Naeun’s did – but they had to work for it; they had to find love; they had to find this very special treasure.

These were the thoughts that were running through Naeun’s head as she looked down at her engagement ring. As a couple, they have celebrated many birthdays together, but Naeun was determined to make this one the best one yet. She wanted to surprise her fiancé, and she also wanted to outdo all his events. And so, she planned for Taemin’s birthday one and half months in advance. Mark that date: the 18th of July.

Lee Taemin, prepare to be surprised…

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHAPTER 1:

Taemin woke up on the morning of his birthday on his bed, in his dorm. When he walked out to have breakfast, but nobody was around. Instead, there was a bowl of seaweed soup. He tried it and it was still warm. His Hyungs were gone, without even a note. He went to grab his phone that was charging on the night stand but it was missing. This was strange, he thought. They knew it was his birthday, but not even one greeting and his phone was gone. Shaking these thoughts from his head, thinking that they probably had a schedule and that he’d eventually find his phone, he sat down and scoffed down the seaweed soup, noting that whoever made it, was someone who had practiced and perfected the recipe. As he was wiping his mouth, he heard the doorbell ring. He checked the monitor to see who was outside, but all he saw was a red mailbox that he had not seen in years. He opened the door and took the mailbox inside. There was a mission card solely addressed to him.

To: Lee Taemin

Good Morning! Today you will be going on a birthday treasure hunt. Please get dressed and ready to start your mission. You are required to wear the items prepared for you. It has been laid out in your wardrobe. Your next destination is the ‘safe haven’ and you will be required to give a password. HINT: First Meeting.

Taemin quickly went into his room and opened his closet. He cracked a smile as soon as he saw it. This must be Naeun’s surprise, he thought. All the pieces of clothing had a note attached.

  1. Plain blue shirt with a Superman logo: Because you’re my hero
  2. Black skinny jeans: Because it is my favourite color, and you look y in black >.<
  3. White Converse: Because it is your favourite color and black and white complement each other like you do to me
  4. Pirate socks: Because it is one of our first couple items
  5. Good Guy’ Cap: Because the good guy got the girl

Taemin got dressed, cherishing that each item of clothing was significant, and of course, made sure he was wearing his rosary bracelet and ring. He got into his car and drove to their apartment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHAPTER 2:

Taemin parked the car and ran to the apartment door. Without thinking he keyed in the digits of Naeun’s birthday and his access was denied. Then, he remembered the mission card and he ran back to his car to retrieve it. He read the hint and keyed in the digits of the date of their first meeting. 0417. Again, access was denied. Then, an idea struck him. Could it be ‘Jeju’? 5358. The lock beeped and Taemin opened the door. As soon as he walked in he heard a familiar song. It was the song him and Naeun sang together at the MBC Gayo Daejun. He walked into the lounge and found his phone ringing, but when he went to answer it, the call ended. He got one new notification for a text message.

To: Lee Taemin

Please complete these missions to proceed to the next stage of the treasure hunt.

Taemin was confused. What mission? He sat on the couch for ten minutes waiting for another text message. When he became impatient he went around the various rooms of the apartment. There was nothing in the bathroom, nothing in the kitchen, nothing in the lounge, nothing in the balcony. When he entered the bedroom it looked the same as when he left is three days before. He looked at the board and the walked out, but an instinct told him to look again. When he finally walked over to the board, he realised that the list of things that he wanted to do with Naeun were rubbed out and replaced with his next missions. It read:

Things to do before I leave the apartment:

  1. Put on the Superman cape: To remind you that even if we’re apart, we still think of each other, and as a reminder of how much fun we have together
  2. Water the Azaleas: To remind you that I will be faithful to you
  3. Find the Polaroid camera, take a selca and post it on the wall: To remind you of the memories we will create today and the memories that we have alraady made
  4. Find the cover of my phone: To remind you never to lose anything important to our relationship, and to assure you that you will never lose me

Taemin went straight to the wardrobe and found the cape already hanging. He roughly put it on himself and then checked the item off of the list. His feet then took him to the balcony where he saw a little pot plant of Azaleas similar to the one’s he had bought Naeun. Beside it was a watering can that he filled up and watered the plant. He ran back and checked the item off the list. The Polaroid camera was waiting for him by the television, and he took a selca of himself with the cape, hugging the pot plant, and pasted the picture on the wall. Finally, he was searching for the case of his phone. He had almost turned the place upside down like he did in Japan during their virtual marriage when he realised that he was looking for the wrong cover. He as meant to be looking for the blue polka dot ribbon case and he found it on the table in the lounge room. As soon as he put the cover back on his phone he received a text message.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHAPTER 3:

To: Lee Taemin

You must be hungry. Please have some lunch.

He went to the kitchen and opened up the refrigerator door. There was nothing inside the fridge but a bottle of water. He opened up the cupboards and found nothing but a cup of ramyun and a recepit for the local grocery store. His phone beeped as he received another message notification.

To Lee Taemin

You may eat the cup of ramyun if you wish but please go to the grocery store and stock up the kitchen supplies. Use the receipt as a list of items you need to buy. After purchase, please return to the apartment where you will receive further instructions.

Taemin put the cup of ramyun back into the cupboard, put the receipt into his pocket, took the bottle of water and ran to his car. He walked into the grocery store and was relieved that not many people were around. He retrieved the receipt from his pocket and started to find the things on the list. After finding the tenth item, he started to notice a pattern: they were all the ingredients for galbijjim. He was anxious now. He wasn’t a very good cook and he hoped the mission didn’t involve him cooking. Of course, he got distracted and started buying snacks as well. When he got to the cash register, he started to place the items on the counter for scanning but was stopped by the shop worker.

“Sir, it’s fine. All the items have been paid for.”

“Even these?”

Taemin held up a packet of potato crisps and the attendant nodded. She packaged all of the grocery products into bags, handed them to Taemin and he drove back to the apartment. It seemed as if someone had been inside because the table was already set for a meal for one person. He unpacked all of the items and placed them back into their respective shelves. When he was finished he received another text message.

To: Lee Taemin

Thank you for stocking up the kitchen. Please check the pressure cooker and enjoy your lunch.

When he went to check the pressure cooker, the lid contained a note.

Oppa! Are you having fun? I’m sure you were a bit scared thinking I would make you cook, right? I don’t think I should leave you in the kitchen by yourself…kekeke. Anyway, I hope you eat this well and remember the first time we cooked together. Just remember, I’ve been practising this dish for a few years now. I love you!

P.S. Did you like the seaweed soup this morning?

Taemin smiled. No wonder it tasted so good. The food was made with Naeun’s love. He opened the pressure cooker and unleased the delicious scent of galbijjim. He put some into a bowl and carried it to the table. He made himself some rice and ate the meal deliciously.

He cleaned after himself and sat on the sofa. He received another text message within twenty minutes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHAPTER 4:

To: Lee Taemin

Are you full? Under the sink you will find a picnic basket. Please do not open it until you are told to do so. Your next destination is the park. When you arrive find your ‘mini-me’.

Taemin checked under the sink, and sure enough, there was a large picnic basket waiting for him. He picked it up and again, went to his car and drove to the park. Like Children’s Day, he found a sign saying that the park had been closed, and walked in. He was looking for his ‘mini-me’ but he didn’t know what to look for. He walked further into the park to the playground. There, atop the swing he found his ‘mini-me’, the stuffed toy bear of him and Naeun sitting beside each other on the swing. He ran over and retrieved them and went to find a grassy area in the sun. His phone beeped and he checked his messages.

To Lee Taemin

You may open the picnic basket now.

He did as he was told. The blanket that they had used for their date at the pension was there. He spread it out and sat down the two bears. When he looked inside again, he found one box of peppero sticks. Then his phone beeped again. This time it was a message on KakaoTalk. There were a series of photographs. He opened them one by one, his fist clenching every time he opened them. After the fourth one he was starting to feel slightly annoyed. They were all images of Naeun kissing other boys for her dramas and music video shoots. When he opened up the fifth one, his smile final returned. It was a picture of their first peppero kiss with the caption: The only man I ever want to kiss <3

Another message appeared.

To: Lee Taemin

Please enjoy the packet of peppero sticks. When you are finished, please stand up and do the BUBIBU dance.

Taemin didn’t even hesitate. The fact that the messages were arriving at certain times, almost exactly after he finished his missions, he knew that someone was probably watching him. He found the song on his phone, and danced to whole thing. As soon as he was finished, a child, holding two water guns ran up to him and offered him one.

“Hyung!”

“Ne?”

“Can you have a water fight with me?”

Without even answering, the little boy fired at Taemin, and immediately got half of his shirt wet. The boy ran away as Taemin also began firing at him. They were laughing and playing, and Taemin realised all the fun memories he had playing with Naeun at the park. The little boy reminded him of the innocence of him and Naeun, and he relived all the memories of playing with Naeun in the rain and playing water sports with Naeun. When both ran out of water, the little boy held out his hand and Taemin shook it.

“Hyung! Can I have my water gun back?”

Taemin handed it to the little boy and he ran off. It was starting to become late afternoon now. Another message arrived.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHAPTER 5:

To: Lee Taemin

Please go to the Korean Barbecue Restaurant.

Taemin decided to dry out in the sun for twenty minutes before he packed up and drove to the restaurant. As soon as he opened the door he heard whistles in his ear, confetti on his face, a party hat placed on his head and a collective round of “Happy Birthday, Taemin!”

He was very surprised. His entire family was there along with all his friends and all the people that had become important in his life. His mother ran up to him and engulfed him in a hug. His father hugged him as well and gave him a firm pat on the back. s crowded around him and congratulated him and one by one all the people greeted him. EXO members were there and so was APINK, but no sign of the person her really wanted to see. Eunji went up to him and handed him a note from Naeun.

Annyeong! Happy Birthday, Oppa! I know you’re looking for me, but enjoy this party. Like I said before, I want us to always have our friends and family around us, getting along; one big happy family. Don’t worry, you’ll see me before the end of the party!

He thanked Eunji and then was ushered his seat as everyone sat down. Taemin burst out into laughter when, one by one, the EXO members came out with platters of meat to cook on the barbecue. Everyone ate very well, and talked very well, enjoying themselves thoroughly. After the meal, Kai wheeled out a television to the centre of the room and turned it on. Naeun appeared on the screen with a guitar in hand.

Oppa! Didn’t I say you’ll see me before the end of the party? Well, Jajjan! Here, I am! You’re down to you final mission. You clue is in this song. Listen carefully, ahraji?

Heaven up above did so well on every bit of you baby
I think that I
’m in love with every single bit of you baby

I don
’t know if I’ll fall asleep tonight
When you won
’t, just won’t get off my mind

Instead of counting sheep, I count the stars within your eyes
I wish that I could sleep, but those stars are way too bright
It
’s all about you, with or without you, if it wasn’t I’d be fine
But the thing is, everything is, and I
’ll be awake all night

Did you get it? Oppa! Palli! Come find me…

The television turned off and his mother pat him on the back.

“Go on, Taemin-ah…Go get her…”

He stood up and as he reached the door, he turned around and gave a deep bow then ran off. He got into his car and started driving. He knew exactly where to find her.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHAPTER 6:

He arrived at the Han River after the sun had set. It was dark, but all the stars were out. He found her sitting by that same bench when they got back together. He walked up behind her and leaned over her, like the first time they met. This time, Naeun wasn’t surprised, but she grabbed his face, and gave him a long kiss.

“Happy birthday…”

“Thank you…”

“For what?”

“For today…for coming into my life…for everything…”

“Did you like the surprise?”

“I loved it. It was fun and it felt like going through everything again. Everything was significant to our relationship. Everything had a purpose. And I found it.”

“Found what?”

“I found my treasure. I found you…”

He wrapped his arms around Naeun, and they stayed in that silence. After a while he started to chuckle to himself, prompting Naeun to look up at him confused.

“Wae, Oppa?”

“I was thinking about how I could possibly beat this event?”

“I’m sure you’ll find a way…you always do…”

He kissed the top of her head, her forehead, the tip of her nose, each of her cheeks before finally landing on her lips.

“This is it, Naeun-ah…”

“This is what forever feels like…”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHAPTER 7:

Taemin and Naeun became the most popular searched item again that night, but Naeun had expected it. Throughout the whole day, cameras had been following Taemin, and she compiled the photos and videos, not only for herself and Taemin, but to give some out to Dispatch News. They released the selected photos with Naeun’s approval. There was no attached article to it, because pictures spoke louder than words. The pictures told the whole story, and it was up to the reader to understand it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A good story has a good ending. It has an epilogue. But this epilogue is not the ending. It is the beginning. Because Taemin and Naeun are forever, right?

If one gets tired writing the story, the other will pick up the pen to continue. If the pen runs out of ink, they will go to the store and buy another one. If they fill up a book, they will find other pages to write on, because their story won’t end. Their ending is still unwritten.

 

 

 

AN: There it is guys! I hope you have all enjoyed reading as much as I have in writing the story! Keep on giving love and support to uri Taemin and Naeun. Always love, because love is hope, and hope will withstand anything that life may throw your way...Cheers! And Thank you, Thank you, Thank you so much for reading this story :)