Zenith

Only You

AN: Hey guys! Thank you so much for all the subs, upvotes, and especially comments! They really do make my day J However, we’re down to the last two chapters…But, I left a hint in the last chapter about the next story that I might do. Updates won’t  be as fast anymore because school’s starting again soon, but I’ll try my best. Anyhow…please enjoy the next chapter!

Zenith, n.

-a highest point or state; culmination

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember Taemin’s feelings about the weight being lifted off of his shoulder after he bought the ring? Well, it’s been two weeks and he still hasn’t proposed. He’s feeling a bit more anxious now, wanting the moment to be perfect. He’s actually tried several times, but always ended up shoving the ring box hurriedly into his pocket, since someone or something always ruined the atmosphere he had tried to build. First, he tried to propose at the park, but a bird had to go to the toilet on his head, and he didn’t want to propose in that situation. Next, he tried to propose in their apartment, but Naeun had forgotten to tell him that she had invited over her parents, and he couldn’t do it. The last time he tried was yesterday. She was at a variety show recording and when she finished he had visited her in the dressing room only to be interrupted by Jonghyun, who was coming to get him to ask about his opinion on what they wanted for lunch. During this time, Naeun could visibly see that something was bothering her boyfriend and suggested they go to the countryside for some relaxing time.

So, today, Taemin picked Naeun up from her dorm, and they were driving off to Naeun’s specially planned weekend away. About an hour after leaving Seoul and seeing trees, they ran into a problem.

“Oppa…what’s that noise?”

Taemin and Naeun stopped talking for a moment to hear some beeping noises. It was the car. It was signalling to them that they were almost out of gas. Taemin parked the car by the side of the road, and got out, running to the boot to see if by some miracle, he had some petrol stored in the back of his car. Naeun followed him and placed a hand on his shoulder as Taemin kicked the car.

“Aish!”

“Oppa, gwaenchanha. We can just call for help.”

“Mianhae, Naeun-ah…I forgot to fill up the car.”

“It’s okay. I didn’t tell you where we were going.”

“Alright. Let’s try to call someone.”

They dialled each of their managers, but they didn’t pick up. They tried some of their members but they also didn’t pick up. They tried some of their family members but they also didn’t pick up.

“What’s the point of having a phone if you’re not going to answer it?”

“Maybe they’re just busy. Let’s try again later.”

“All of them?”

“Who knows? Maybe it’s the signal as well?”

“But mine has four bars and yours does too…”

“Let’s worry about that later. Look, it’s beautiful here.”

For the first time since parking the car, Taemin got to look at his surroundings. It was beautiful and there seemed to be some mountains and a river flowing down. Naeun tapped him on the shoulder and pointed to the other side of the road.

“Oppa! Let’s go for a walk!”

“Where?”

“Over there! It looks like a trail…”

“Well, they’re not picking up anyway so may as well do something instead of standing here…”

Taemin interlocked their fingers and they walked across the road and started on the trail.

“Wahhh…it’s really pretty here.”

“Not as pretty as you…”

“Oppa…I think you’ve overused that line…”

“Doesn’t matter…as long as I remind you that you’re the prettiest lady in my eyes…”

“And Oppa is the most handsome!”

“So…where were we meant to be going?”

“I was planning on going to a lodge in the woods. It’s a nature park and you can go rock climbing or abseiling, or canoeing or walking on a nature trail like what we’re doing now…”

“Mianhae…I ruined it…”

“Don’t worry. As long as we’re together…and besides, we were going to do this anyway when we get there. May as well do it now…”

They continued to meander along the trail, seeing various birds and other animals along the way. They even took some photographs using their phones. They decided to sit on some large rocks to regain some energy.

“Oppa…you’ve been a bit weird lately…”

“How weird?”

“Like, you’re always thinking about something…”

“Like?”

“Mwolla. It’s just that you seem to look irritated whenever someone comes along and interrupts us…”

“Aren’t I always irritated during those times?”

“This time, it looked like you were really mad. When Jonghyun came in, I thought you were going to punch him!”

“It’s nothing…”

“Ahrasso…I’ll let it go for now…but if it gets worse…I’m going to get it out of you…”

“I’m sure you will…”

The end of the trail was here. It stopped at the top of one of the cliffs that Taemin saw when he looked around the area. It was almost sunset. Naeun grabbed his hands to steer him in the direction of going back to the car but he stopped her.

“Oppa…we need to go back. There’s no signal here and we still haven’t called anyone for help…”

“I need to tell you something before we go back…”

“Is this why you’ve been anxious?”

Taemin nodded. Then, he blurted out his proposal.

“Marry me…”

“Ne?”

“Ani…I mean…”

Naeun tugged on his arm to pull him down so that they were seated on the ground.

“I don’t have the ring with me…but I’m asking you…”

“Yes.”

“I feel like it’s time. To me it feels like we’re already married. In my heart we’re already married, but I want to make it formal.”

“Yes.”

“I just want to ask you if you’ll let me spend the rest of my life making you happy…”

“Yes.”

“And it’s not the best proposal, but you look so beautiful. Even if we’re both sweaty, and our hair is a mess because of the wind, and we have some dirt on our faces…you’re still beautiful…”

Naeun couldn’t stand his babbling anymore and grabbed his face with her hands and kissed him.

“Oppa…that’s my answer…”

“Yes?”

“No…”

“Are you joking?”

“Yes.”

“Yes to the joke or yes to my question?”

“Which question was that again?”

Taemin pulled Naeun into a standing position then got down on bended knee.

“Naeun-ah, will you marry me?”

“Yes.”

He spun her around three times before settling her feet on the ground and then kissing her. Taemin started to yell.

“She said yes! She said yes!”

“Oppa!”

“Ahrasso…let’s go…”

She started to drag him along but he turned around again and shouted.

“She said yes!”

They turned around and went back to their car. It was already dark. When they got there he saw Jonghyun standing by their car.

“Hyung?”

“Maknae-yah! Did you finally do it?”

“Do what?”

“Propose to her, idiot!”

“He did”

“Finally!”

“Wait…did you plan this?”

“Of course! I knew you were meant to do it yesterday but I got in the way so…I tried to help you…”

“Thanks, Hyung!”

Jonghyun gave them a thumbs up and a quick congratulations before getting into his car and driving off. Taemin and Naeun got into their car with a full tank of gas and drove off.

“Another memorable day, Naeun-ah?”

“Definitely.”