Startin'

Second - After the worm


Things all started for me at the beginning of my Junior year. Like the previous years, I had worn my uniform, tied my necktie perfectly and styled my hair nicely for the first day. My mom had kissed me good bye and good luck before I had walked to school on my own, my usual firm little smile on, ready to face another year of dullness, plain as it was supposed to be. As always, when I arrived to school, Kyungsoo was waiting for me in front of the gates amongst the other students.

What wasn't similar to the previous years was the arm he had wrapped around his shoulder, which  was none other's than Kim Jongin's.

How do I describe Kim Jongin. I guess the first word that comes in my mind is "adorable". Jongin was always smiling, and with each smile, his eyes would become cute half moons and in his cheeks would dig themselves small dimples. Jongin liked to dance. Everyone probably still remembers last year's dance club's show and his impressive solo on exo's My Lady, who made all the girls' heart flutter. And some boys' too, I bet. Jongin also had a cheerful personality and got along with a lot of people, even though rumors said that he only considered one person as his real friend.  Jongin had a tanned skin and a fit, slightly muscled body that could make a grandma drool. Jongin was handsome, Jongin was nice, and I guess he was what you could call a "kingka". With my description, you'd believe that I was a teenage (well I am) girl madly in love with an idol and who was so blind that everything he was, did and thought was fabulous, but my feelings for Jongin weren't even near the crush. The guy really had it perfect - and I used to sometimes snort while thinking about him in my bed, telling myself that he would end his life in a whorehouse or at twenty on a hospital bed. Balance theory once again.

As I walked closer to them, I noticed that Kyungsoo's smile was a little awkward and I looked at him surprisingly. How in the world did he and Jongin become friends. A month ago, the latter probably didn't even know he existed.

«Baekhyun!» My friend lightly pushed the taller boy's arm off his shoulder to wrap his around me. «I missed you!» Without giving me the time to answer, he turned to Jongin ( /the/ Jongin) and grinned. «Jongin-ah~ meet Baekhyun, my best friend! Baekhyun, this is Jongin -even though you probably know him already huh.»
The dark skinned male smiled lightly at the last sentence and nodded. «I heard about you a lot. It's nice to finally meet you!» He gave me a friendly pat on the shoulder. But where was the world going? Kim Jongin had heard about /me/ Byun Baekhyun? I guess that it was probably from Kyungsoo, since they seemed quite close.

Noticing my suspicious stare, the tall male chuckled. «Oh sorry! You're probably wondering how Kyungsoo and I became friends..»
Said male interrupted him almost immediately.
«Well it's crazy but we were sent to the same camp during the summer! You know, it was three weeks in Japan, so we got along and became..»
Jongin interrupted him back, flashing his pearly whites to me.
«Lovers~ Kyungie's my wife.»

I widened my eyes at the last statement. What. Kyungsoo and Jongin together? Did that even make sense? Jongin was straight, wasn't he? Seeing my shocked face, Kyungsoo whacked the other's head playfully, his face slowly turning bright red.
«Yah Jongin-ah! Are you stupid? Of course we're not! We became friends, that's what I meant.»
I nodded slowly, recovering from the shock. The dude almost gave me a heart attack.


«Aish, that hurts a bit Kyungsoo...»
«You shut up!»
I stared at them bickering happily, not really knowing what to do. I felt my social awkwardness raising again. So it started again. Looking at them like this awoke a familiar feeling in me. It was almost all the way like at the beginning of middle school.

No, I shouldn't think negative. I was way stronger than I was in middle school and Jongin was friendly like this to everyone. He would probably get tired of Kyungsoo before the end of the week and go back to his..
«Oh Sehun!!»  Jongin shouted suddenly, pulling me out of my thoughts which was strangely linked to his words. A blonde, very tall male turned his face in our direction, and his seemingly expressionless face lightened up suddenly at our view. If I didn't know him well, and hadn't expected it, I probably wouldn't have noticed the slight surprise on his face when his eyes crossed mine before getting back on Jongin.
«Hey Man! Were you looking for me?»
Sehun nodded.
«Yeah, there's so many people around here.»
He slowly turned to face me.
«Hey Baekhyun.» He mumbled lightly before looking at Kyungsoo from head to toe.
«.. and you are?»
Jongin grinned widely and wrapped an arm around Sehun's shoulder (which was kind of difficult for him since the latter was taller).
«This is our new friend, Kyungsoo! We met during the summer camp I was talking to you about. I figured out we needed more people to hang out with, you know?»
I blinked. Wait what. And me?
Noticing that I looked very confused, and that I wasn't the only one, judging by Sehun's and Kyungsoo's face, Jongin hopped besides me and patted my back.
«Sehun and Kyungsoo both talked to me about you, and I'd really like to know you more!»
What. My frown slightly deepened. The fact that Kyungsoo talked about me, was highly believable, but Sehun? It had been five years since we've talked to each other, and judging by the way it all stopped, he didn't have much regrets about it. I eyed him suspiciously and he looked away, shrugging lightly.
«So.. You want us to all be friends?» Kyungsoo asked hesitantly, looking at Jongin curiously. The tanned male nodded again eagerly.
«Yep! Sehun you agree uh? Right?» He started shaking the poor blonde and said blonde groaned lightly.
«I guess...» He mumbled, pushing his friend away. «If that makes you that happy.»
Jongin clapped his hands cheerfully and looked at us.

I released a long inner sigh. Now where was my life going. Kyungsoo went to Japan with Mr.Popular for three weeks and here I was, forced to befriend him and my old childhood not-so-friend-anymore. Okay Baekhyun, I thought. Stop thinking negative. See this was an opportunity to enlarge your circle of friends and re-bond with Sehun. I looked at him hesitantly and he shrugged once again.
«I-It's fine with me..» Kyungsoo murmured and looked at me with big pleading eyes, as if he actually wanted that much to be friends with them.
«Okay okay.» Really, I couldn't resist when my bestfriend looked at me this way. «Let's all hang out together.»
Jongin screamed in joy and the three of us jumped in surprise at the sudden outburst, not expecting him to be this happy about that. «Guys! That's gonna be great! That's gonna be really great! And with Chanyeol joining us tomorrow, it's gonna be even better!»
Chanyeol. Park Chanyeol? I looked at Sehun and he nodded. During primary school, there was a Park Chanyeol in our class. We used to sometimes eat with him because he had no friends. He was tall, scrawny, and his nickname was "the worm eater". Sehun nodded again. Oh man... Chanyeol the worm eater was going to come back here.. But I thought he had moved?
«His parents got back together.» Suddenly Sehun spoke up, making me realize that not a word had been spoken by me the whole time and that he had nodded all the way only by my change of expressions.
«Oh I see.»
Jongin whined. «Are you guys over with telepathy?»
Sehun chuckled lightly.
«For your information Baekhyun, I kept contact with him because he stayed in the basketball team, and Jongin, him and I often go picnicing together. He's coming back into our district this year.»
«Ah.. I see.»
Jongin groaned loudly.
«This even found a way to skip the first day. Moving, psh. He' had moved into his new house last week. Oh and by the way, all five of us are in the same class, I checked before Kyungsoo arrived!» He grinned again and patted the short male's chest happily.
That's when I started to doubt about the whole balance theory.