Round The Bend

"What do you have to report?"

"The subject fought with his mother and his brother, just as you planned. However..."

"He didn't just lock himself in his room, did he?"

"No sir, he immediately left the house and returned to the river. Unfortunately, Hyukjae was also there so we couldn't proceed with phase 2."

"Very well. It may be a little early for phase 2 just yet. We need both of those boys nice and healthy for this game to play nicely. You're dismissed."

"Thank you, sir."

"Lee Donghae... You will be mine, one way or another and that cursed Hyukjae will not stop me."

.:~*~:.

Donghae woke up a lot warmer then when he fell asleep. Blinking groggily, he took in the vaguely familiar pictures on the wall and the bright pink decor. Was he picked up by a hooker? Or a strange kid that has a thing for sleeping teenage boys?

Wait a second.

Turning over, Donghae came nose to nose with his cousin, Lee Sungmin.

With a startled screech, Donghae scrambled backwards and fell off the bed. His legs tangled in the blanket and his hands did little to lessen his fall, Donghae groaned loudly as the dull ache throbbed through his left shoulder.

A snort sounded above him, before peals of laughter assaulted his still awakening ear drums, "Oh my gosh, Donghae! You should have seen your face! Priceless!" Donghae rolled his eyes and mumbled something that sounded suspiciously like, "Shut your trap, Princess Pinkie." Sungmin continued to giggle to himself as he slid off the bed, scurrying over to Donghae's side to help him up, "You should be thanking me y'know. If not for me, you'd be outside in the cold."

Donghae started to roll his eyes and nod when a new voice interrupted them.

"Don't you mean he should be thanking me? I'm the one that found you."

Donghae's head snapped up so fast that he collided with the underside of Sungmin's jaw - sending the baby faced boy sprawling onto the floor. There was Hyukjae, standing in the doorway, staring down at him amusedly, "Having fun down there are we?"

Donghae scrambled to his feet, mortified that he'd been caught in a quite embarassing position, only to forget that his legs were tangled in the sheets and he pitched forward. Instinctively, Donghae's hands shot out to soften his fall, but he didn't expect for Hyukjae to reach out and catch him.

And he certainly didn't expect to fall through Hyukjae's arms... Literally.

Donghae lay on the floor at Hyukjae's feet; wide-eyed and unmoving. Hyukjae wore a horrified expression on his face as he stared at his empty hands. Even Sungmin looked surprised, as he stared between Donghae and Hyukjae, his jaw hanging loose. Sitting up slowly, Donghae tilted his head back, so he could look up at Hyukjae,

"Wh-what just happened?"

The ghost boy didn't respond, flexing his hands, clenching and unclenching his fists in mute shock. "Donghae..." Sungmin had regained his senses and spoke softly, "Our rules of solidity don't apply to Hyukjae... He's been in our world too long and following you constantly, he hasn't had time to rest." Donghae switched his gaze from Hyukjae to his cousin, "Y-You knew?! You knew that he was following me?! And you never told me?"

Sungmin looked at Donghae pleadingly, "Yes, I knew. He surprised me too. I've always been able to see spirits. Hyukjae called me a Seer. He told me about looking over you, but he never told me from what. I never said anything because you would've thought I was crazy! I had to wait until you could see him too."

Donghae shook his head, reaching for Hyukjae's hand and staring in dismay when his fingers slipped right through the other boy's hand. Opening his mouth, Donghae choked out, "Hy-Hyuk..." Sending an imploring look at Sungmin, Hyukjae stepped away from Donghae's reach.

Nodding at the boy, Sungmin crawled forward and took Donghae into his arms, rocking him back and forth as the latter whispered, "Hyukkie's disappearing. He can't touch me anymore. I'm going to lose him." Donghae's hair, Sungmin looked up at Hyukjae, "Go. I'll take care of him for now. I'll tell his mother that's he's staying with me."

Nodding, Hyukjae started to fade away, "I'll send someone to look after him for a while." He promised, before winking out of sight.

.:~*~:.

It had been three days since Hyukjae's disappearance and both Donghae and Sungmin were starting to worry. They were having breakfast that morning, when a loud crack filled the air and someone was standing in the kitchen with them.

Startled, Donghae spat out his juice and Sungmin choked on his bacon, "Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to startle you! Are you ok?" Wiping his mouth, Donghae scanned the frantically fussing ghost from head to toe, "Uh... I don't mean to be rude, but... Who're you?"

The ghost looked up from helping Sungmin and smiled brightly, "Oh, I'm sorry. I'm Ryeowook," he said, bowing slightly.

"Hyukjae sent me."