Round The Bend

"Don't go past the bridge, Donghae. No one knows what's around that corner."

Lee Donghae scoffed as his father's voice rang through his ears; an echo of what once had been and would never be again. You see, Donghae's father was killed when his car had hurdled off the bridge and plummeted into the raging river below. Although the man's death had been ruled an accident, Donghae knew that something caused his father to veer into the guard rails of the bridge in the first place.

"Never round the river bend, Donghae. Anywhere on the North side is cursed."

Donghae paused mid-step, as his older brother's voice replaced his father's, "Cursed." The teen muttered, planting both feet firmly on the ground as he looked skyward, "How utterly ridiculous." He took a moment to appraise the bright moonlight that shone down onto his slightly tanned skin. It was almost midnight and Donghae could feel a rush of adrenaline course through his body at his little rebellion.

Donghae'd always been a quiet, innocent and behaved child - never disobeying his parents and always obtaining things to be proud of. His dance and soccer trophies took up a cabinet all to themselves, his medals and athletic ribbons strung up and hanging from the wooden beams on his ceiling. Report cards never displaying grades lower then a B+ and teacher's repeating their respect of his hard-working, friendly, modest and leading personality.

Now, at age 17, Donghae had had enough of the warnings of his friends and family, the constant black cloud of terror they lived under and the constant frightened looks people sent the way of the bridge. He was going to prove to them, once and for all, that there was nothing worth fearing around the river bend.

Shaking his head, Donghae began his journey once again, away from his small and cosy house, towards the slow-moving, glistening river. The river held many memories for Donghae; some pleasant and some not. Squinting hard, Donghae could make out the exact place where he and his cousin, Sungmin, had once played soccer with their brothers. Sighing heavily, Donghae sat down on the grass, staring at the river, as if it would give him all the answers he was looking for.

"Why did you take my dad?"

"Why does everyone say the North side of the bridge is cursed?"

"What's so dangerous about going round the bend?"

The bridge was a grand but rickety structure, made of wood and loose stone. One would feel as though the smallest puff of wind could bring it down - though it's stood proud and strong for the best part of 80 years. The hole that been ripped wide by Donghae's father was patched up; as if no one had gone through in the first place. The teen frowned as he pushed himself up off the ground and hastened his march towards the river bend, "That'd be right." He grumbled, "Just forget him like everyone else has."

"Forget about who?"

Donghae jumped, visibly frightened by the close proximity of the disembodied voice. His throat constricted as he whipped his head around sharply, searching the dimly lit riverbank for any signs of life.

"Didn't they tell you never to round the bend?"

The air in front of Donghae shimmered, as if someone had dumped a bag of glitter flecks over a transparent object. Stepping back, Donghae's eyes widened and his jaw hung loose as a boy - no older than Donghae himself - faded into vision. Donghae's eyes raked over the figure before him, taking in the shaggy blue hair, the sharp cheekbones, the monolidded brown eyes, the flawless pale skin, the stylish clothing and the adidas high tops. Suddenly, the figure before him grinned. A large, gummy smile that took Donghae's breath away.

"W-who are you?"

Donghae silently cursed the instability of his own voice echoed back at him from the night air. The gummy grin disappeared instantly; the light in the boy's eyes dimming until there was only the dull reflection of the stars.

"I don't know."

Donghae's head tilted to the side - some of his confidence returning at the sudden vulnerability of the other teen, "What do you mean 'you don't know'?" He quipped, "Everyone knows who they are." He stated, not feeling the least bit ashamed at his boost of egotistical pride.

Blue hair moved slightly under the purple hat as he shook his head, "I don't know who I am!" He said, staring at Donghae - almost desperately. Donghae sighed, quickly becoming exasperated with the other boy's lack of mental capacity, "Do you know anything about yourself?"

A moment of silence reigned, "I'm a dancer." The boy blurted suddenly, "And I'm a new student at Mokpo High School. I just transferred from Seoul Performing Arts. I got kicked out because my grades were too low." Donghae whistled low, "You're trouble is what you are. I haven't seen you around before."

The boy's stare suddenly became scrutinising, "Wait a minute... I remember you... Lee Donghae, right? Soccer captain? On the dance team?" Donghae's confidence vanished in an instant, "Not fair," he pouted, "You know me, but I don't know you."

The blue-haired teen shrugged, "Not my problem. You should get going. Sunrise is in three hours. Your mum will freak if she finds you missing." Donghae flinched, glancing at his glowing watch and realising that indeed, he had been away for a good four and a half hours.

He nodded, starting to turn on his heel and head back the way he had come, "Oh... And Donghae?" He peered back over his shoulder and the slowly fading boy, "If you can, find out my name? Thanks!"

Donghae blinked once and he was gone.