Round The Bend

The movement was quick; Hyukjae out cold on the floor before anyone could even blink.

Sungmin choked back a scream, while Donghae let his out.

He didn't know what it was, but with some unknown strength, Donghae shoved past Lucifer, sprinting out of Kyuhyun's house and down the empty street, heading for the cemetary as fast as his legs could carry him.

The gates were opened, the heavy metal welcoming him eerily and he didn't give much thought to it as he ran through. Donghae didn't need to think about where Hyukjae's grave was. He ran quickly, up the hill towards the old weeping willow and found it, right next to his father's.

Coincidence? Or fate?

The bright sky became thunderous, as the wind picked up and the clouds clustered above the graveyard; ominous and dark. Flashes of bright light streaked overhead, as lightening illuminated the sky and suddenly Donghae was calm.

There, standing before Hyukjae's and his father's graves, Donghae was accepting death and waiting for the final blow.

"Donghae!"

He turned at the familiar voice, heart palpitating horribly as his mother and brother ran towards him. That was not part of the get go plan. What even was his get go plan? To let Lucifer just appear and kill him? Donghae was so utterly confused; the appearance of his family conflicting his emotions.

"Oh Jesus, what a headache."

Donghae swore by the end of this he'd have whiplash, as he whipped his head around to stare at the graves behind him. Hyukjae was sitting atop his, clothing ruffled and a little disgrunted, but otherwise free of injuries.

"Hyukkie!" Donghae launched himself at the boy, tears streaming down his face as solid arms wrapped around him. He knew Hyukjae wasn't real (he wasn't even alive, for Christ's sake), but he didn't care. Hyukjae was there now and that's what mattered.

"So it was you." Donghae and Hyukjae looked up, as Mrs Lee stared down at them, in a thin line. "I beg your pardon?" Hyukjae asked politely, holding Donghae tightly as the clouds thickened and the rain started to fall. "It was you," Mrs Lee reiterated, "The boy I'd see following Donghae around. It was, wasn't it?"

"Yes ma'am." Hyukjae saw no point in lying, when he could practically smell the seer's power.

"Wait, you knew he was there," Donghae started, "And you didn't tell me?"

Mrs Lee deadpanned him, "If you'd seen him, you would have said something. When you didn't, I assumed you couldn't see him. What was the point of telling you someone you couldn't see, was following you?"

Donghae hung his head, knowing she was right.

"Well, well. Having a little family reunion by the graveside, are we?"

Lightning cracked and there was Lucifer, standing not three feet away, mouth twisted into a feral grin and his coat flapping about him in the wind, "Too bad it should be your last."

"Leave the boy out of this, Siwon! You took Ryeojin, why Donghae too?" Mrs Lee screamed at the Devil, unshed tears in her eyes and everything about her pleaded for mercy.

"Because that bastard husband of yours took what was dearest to me!" Siwon hollered, hands clenched firmly and jaw strained, "And now I'll take what was dearest to him. Your son."

The Devil lifted his hands and the storm became stronger, "Donghae, run!" Mrs Lee pushed her youngest up from Hyukjae and shoved him away, practically throwing his body down the hill. Donghae stumbled, fighting to find his footing and ended up falling.

Turning back to look, Donghae screamed as his mother launched herself at Lucifer, toppling them both and effectively stopping whatever spellcasting he was doing. Donghwa motioned for Donghae to get up and keep running, but the boy was transfixed as his mother's body was lifted into the air and slammed against a stone angel, before crumbling to the ground.

The terror became motivation, as Donghae scrambled to his feet and bolted, heading towards the gates as fast as he could. He tripped, the same instant Hyukjae appeared in front of him and a searing pain shot through his back.

His body began to shut down, even before he was in Hyukjae's arms and the ghost was wailing, crying for Donghae to stay awake, when the boy's eyes started to close and his breathing shallowed. Feeling wet droplets on his face, Donghae forced his eyes open and looked up into Hyukjae's sobbing face.

"H-Hyuk..kie, don't c-cry." He forced out, lifting a shaking hand and placing it on Hyukjae's cheek. The ghost covered Donghae's hand with his and held it there, feeling all the warmth from Donghae's body seeping away and it only made him cry harder.

The rain seemed to come down harder, as if joining Hyukjae in his weeping, as the ghost lowered his head and kissed Donghae soundly. It wasn't harsh, but it was full of emotions and silent pleas of don't leave me.

Unable to feel his lower body anymore, Donghae clung to Hyukjae with his hands wrapped tightly in Hyukjae's hair and clothes, tears finally dripping down his face as he realised this was goodbye.

It was goodbye to his beloved mother, who had been so brutally attacked but he hoped was still alive. Goodbye to his brother, who Donghae prayed would move on soon. And it was goodbye to Hyukjae, the ghost boy of the river, the boy who'd come to hold such a special place inside Donghae's heart, that he thought he'd never leave.

Mother... Donghwa... Hyukjae... I love you.

Hyukjae screamed his heartbreak and anguish into the skies, as Donghae's body became cold and his hand slipped from his face.

I'll find you Donghae, Hyukjae vowed silently, I won't lose you again.
 



It's finished! Yay~!

This ending probably and is probably totally confusing... I might make a sequel... Or I might just go back after the contest is finished and rewrite some bits to make it less confusing.

Anyway, thank you to everyone that has supported me through this story and have commented along the way!

Big hugs to all of you and please, check out some of my other stories!

xoxo Raine