Chapter 1

Your Wings

Joon walks in the middle of night, wandering with no destination. On his hand is a half-filled bottle of beer. He struggled and stumble like a zombie on those cheap movies, but he didn't care. He's long forgotten how it feels to care. He simply shut the world off. Nothing matter anymore since Yoonhwa.

Thinking about her make he gripped his bottle tighter. It always painful. It's been a half year since Yoonhwa left him alone. Still, the hollowness inside his heart can't be healing. Just when he drunk, the pain seems not too intense. At least not like when he sobers. When Yoonhwa died on that damned accident, his life is nothing more than an empty shell.

He cried until his tears dry. He shouted until he has no energy to speak. He tried to kill his self in any possible measure, but fate plays with him. Joon stumbled again and sat on the cold floor, under the dim of street light. He took a big gulp from his bottle, cherished the burnt sensation of alcohol on his throat.

Baby, why'd you leave me? He thought sadly, banged his head on the street lamp's pile. Tears almost flow from his eyes. Why don't you bring me with you? What should I do without you? Joon covered his face with his both hands as his shoulders shivered with cried and cold. The sadness he always felt now turns into anger and desperation.

"Look at me, Yoonhwa. See what you did to me," he hissed cynically before took another sip.

"Why you like it so much? It's not good for your body, you know," rang a clear-melodious voice.

Joon lifted his head to see whose voice is it. He truly didn't care of the world, but one thing he really hates is being pitied. What he saw nearly make his heart stop beating. He blinked several times to adjust his vision. What he saw didn't change. A minute passed and Joon started to question his sanity.

He saw a very beautiful boy sat on a surface higher than him. A perfect shape of face which Joon never know possible. The boy has big round eyes which filled with sincerity. Under the dim light, Joon can't see exactly what color of his skin and hair, but Joon can see the soft texture of it. His face is breathtaking but it's not the reason Joon's heart almost stop beating.

It's because a pair of wings shown from both the boy's side, surround him like a barrier. Joon never saw something like that until now. It's different from all the movies he watched. This one seems.....real. Strong yet soft.

"Angel?" murmured Joon in disbelieve. He must be too drunk now. He shook his head, trying to erase the boy. To his dismay, the boy still there. He looked down to Joon with his warm eyes and Joon found he can't take eyes off the boy. Then the angel smiling to him. The world stop. Joon captivated in that smile.

"Human called me that, but I have name. Mir. My name is Mir," said the angel. He slid down from his seat. Joon instinctively threw his bottle away and extend his hands to catch the falling boy. A wasting movement because the boy spread his wings and falling slowly till his feet touched the ground. The angel stood in front of Joon, reached out to hold Joon's extended hand, and grinned sheepishly.

"I've mastered landing, anyway thank you for your help. It's nice to see you up this close, Joonie."

The moment their hands collide, Joon felt warm through his heart. Something he hasn't felt for a long time. Up to this close distant, he can see the angel has a dark brown eyes and tan skin. Without noticed, Joon flew his eyes to the wings which curious him most. Those feathers aren't plain white like he thought he saw. The wings painted in white with a touch of gold sparked along. On the edge of the wings, the feathers colored darker in grey. Joon reached out to touch but gathered his sense at the end.

"It's okay if you want to touch." Joon's eyes snapped back to Mir who looked back at him. He folded his wings to make it easier for Joon to touch him. He did it slowly not to scare the elder.

Joon knew he might be crazy right now. There's a high possibility this is just happen on his mind but he can't resist his curiosity to touch them. Slower than Mir's movement, he brought his hand close to the wing, took a step closer and finally touch it. It's the weirdest feeling Joon ever feels. The feathers are so soft, softer than cotton. And warm. Everything about Mir is warm. Joon slid his hand down; delicately caress the crook of the wing.

"Is it real?" Joon murmured, more to his self, but Mir answers him with a cheerful tone.

"From the day I born, I don't need a glue to stick them on my back."

Joon took a step back, observing the angel carefully. The realization hit him hard. It's not a time to mesmerize. It's time to freak out. "What are you?"

Mir eyeing the older and slowly took the older's hand. "You already know what I am. You guess it right."

The blood rushed and Joon's heart beat quicker. Maybe he's wrong. Maybe, just maybe, there's still hope. "An angel?" he verified. Mir nodded and he almost jumped in enthusiasm. "Bring her back!" he demanded. Mir shot him a look. "Yoonhwa! Bring her back."

For the first time after their encounter, the smile left Mir's lips. He shook his head sadly. "I can't, Joonie. I'm sorry." Joon, not desperate yet, held Mir's hand tighter, make the latter winced slightly. As an angel, he totally strange with any form of violence. Just now, both his emotion and the intensity of Joon are almost unbearable. He never felt any sort of emotion like this before.

"Then take me to her."

Again, Mir shook his head and faced Joon. "It's not your time yet, I’m really sorry."

It feels like once again, the hope insides of him forced to shut down. Joon let go of Mir's hand. His head hung low in defeat. I'm really stupid. He thought. He hated his self for growing another hope just to make it crumble. His shoulders shaking from holding back tears which threaten to flow. In front of him, Mir placed a hand under Joon's chin, lifted the elder face for their eyes to meet. Mir looked into those eyes which shining with tears. Those eyes which he longing to see badly for so long. Without thinking twice, Mir leaned and pressed a kiss on the elder eye to wipe the tear.

Joon freeze. It's been so long since someone touched him with caring. Nobody except Yoonhwa ever touch him like this. And now this beautiful stranger invaded. Joon took a sharp breath and pushed Mir away harshly. Mir was taken a back and opens his closed eyes, staring at Joon confusedly. Those eyes now shining in anger.

"I don't need your pity!" he said in harsh tone. Mir tried to come closer to Joon again only to make Joon took two steps back. Creating a further distance between them. "Stay away from me!" Mir can see a pain in those eyes, and someway it broke his heart.

***

"Stop following me. How many times I should repeat it?" Mir can hear the elder said with irritated voice. He just hopes he didn't hear it. He kept following him, put a merely 5 steps distance between them. He could easily fly away and stop in front of Joon, but he hid his wings on his back and walked behind him. He went against all the rules to come to Joon. It's the biggest disobedience in his life. Seungho will angry and very disappointed. He will be punished, but he kept doing it. The bond he feels toward Joon grew far than interest. Mir obviously can't back off now.

Joon stopped, made Mir stop as well. Joon turned to him and said with gritted teeth. "Don't you understand? I said go home. Go back to whenever you were."

Mir smiling softly toward the elder. "I don't have any place to stay in here. I just know you."

Joon pinched the bridge of his nose. Fate must really hate him. Here he is, trying to get drunk to pass another day; instead he met a lost angel. What else could be more perfect than this?

Or maybe I’m too drunk already, and this is just my mind playing trick on me. He thought on his mind. That should be it. How else could you explain the existence of a boy with a pair of wings? And very beautiful too, if I should added.

"Then go back to heaven or something," Joon finally said.

Joon realized the smile on the latter turned a little off now. "I can't go home now. I broke almost every rule to meet you. If I go home now, I won't be able to meet you ever again," he said quietly.

The elder shot him a cold gaze and says with a monotone. "I don't care." With that he continues to walk, leaving the angel dumbfounded.

Mir realized their distance became too far, but he can't really move. It's his first time to feel such strong emotion like being hated. He didn't use to it. It's giving him a strange feeling inside his heart. It's like his heart being torn apart. He stayed on his place, didn't know how to handle nor react to those emotion.

"Hello there, pretty boy." Mir lifted his face and saw two man dressed with black leather and chain. The one who talked to him have a piercing on his tongue and smell like alcohol. Mir bowed politely to them, earned their giggles.

"So, what are you doing here? Are you lost?" said the other one. He his bottom lips slowly and eyeing Mir from head to toe. Another strange feeling crawling on Mir's back. He smiled slightly to them.

"Ani. Thank you for your concern," he said politely.

They surrounded Mir closer. The first man laid his fingers on Mir's cheek, caressing it. "True. We're very concern about you. Why don't you come with us? We'll have fun." He slid down his hand to Mir's neck, down to his chest slowly.

Mir had no idea what's going on. They talked really kind but he feels insecure. The way that man touched him sent shivers down to his spine. Totally different with Joon's touch. Mir tried to pry away but they held them tight. Mir started to feel uncomfortable. "No, thank you for your offer, but I can't," said Mir.

"Come on, don't be shy," said the other man, grabbed Mir's jaw and forcefully tilting his head. The man leaned to kiss him. Before their lips touched, Mir being tugged on another side. Next thing he sees is the familiar back in front of him, separate him from the other two.

"He said no," Joon said with totally different tone. It's cold and dangerous, threatening whoever heard it. And for the first time of his existence, Mir feels fear. He unconsciously held Joon's hand, which held him back without turning his head to Mir's direction. The moment Joon held him, the fear gone, replaced with secure. He feels save.

"Chill. We can share him to three of us. You can be the first," said one of the two, trying to negotiate with Joon.

Joon looked at them with his icy-stone eyes. "He's with me. Find somebody else. Go." The two want to make another fuss, but something in Joon's expression scared them, and with grunt, they left.

"What's wrong with you?" asked Joon in annoyed. He dragged Mir all the way, quickly and avoid the darker road for not repeat the same thing again. "Those men might be harassing you or worst, you but you just STAND STILL?" he said, almost shout at the younger boy. Mir let himself being dragged by Joon. He can see the tense on Joon's shoulders and a pant on his breath.

"I don't know they will do that," whispered Mir, recalling the past incident. Joon beamed the latter with dangerous eyes.

"You DON'T KNOW? Are you crazy?"

Joon pierced Mir with his eyes. They kept staring for a moment until a smile crept to Mir's lips. "So you do care," Mir said cheerfully. The big gap between them suddenly missing and the cold Joon he saw earlier seems like never exist.

"You intend to do it? That's why you just standing there back then?" asked Joon in disbelief. His tone went colder that sent a shivers to Mir.

"Ani. I am not intending anything. This world is stranger to me. I never go here before."

"Then why you come now?"

Mir look at Joon with sincerity lingers in his eyes. "I want to meet you," he answered softly. Being an angel he is, he can't lie. Watching him from far away is not enough. Seeing him shattered without do something feels like a torture. He wants to do something to help, to ease Joon's pain.

"You don't even know me," Joon said. As soon as the words left his mouth, realization hit him. He never told the angel his name. How the angel knew it?

The angel started to walk, pulled Joon with him as their hands still colliding. "Wrong. I know you, Joonie. I know you for months now." Mir lead the way into Joon's flat, scared the latter on the process as he realize the stranger really know about him. Mir chuckled. "See, I even know where you live."

"Why?" was the only word Joon could let off his mouth. He took a key from his pocket, arguing whether or not he let Mir comes to his house on his mind. He is an angel. What so dangerous about a pure boy who even didn't know a thing about harassment? Moreover, isn't it a good thing if he turns out to be a serial killer? You want to die anyway, with that thought, he steps aside and let Mir enters his house.

The expression on the angel face is so bright like a kid given a candy. Joon can't help from thinking how adoration the angel is. Mir came into the house and seeing the familiar interior he always seen from afar before he came into this world. Joon didn't change even the single thing since Yoonhwa left. He wants it that way. Even Yoonhwa's coat still hanged on his cupboard. He thought it will help him to ease the loner he felt, but no. Every time he stepped inside the room, the lonely feeling hit him hard, just like now.

Joon closed his eyes and tried to breathe normally. The feeling suffocate him; force him to kneel down in defeat. He took another breath, trying to steady his heart beat. Beside him, Mir eyeing him worriedly. He saw how Joon fisted his hand into tight grip. Mir brought his hand and placed it on Joon's cheek. The latter's eyes shot open and gasped.

"I'm here to help you," Mir shooed, his face slowly. "We're going through this together."

The same words played on Joon's mind. What his colleagues said to him on the funeral. Lee Joon, I’m really sorry; Lee Joon, don't worry, it's going to be alright; we're here if you need us; be strong, it's okay. He sick with all of it. They know nothing, it's just bull. They don't feel the pain he feels. They just an outsider. It's not alright. It's not okay at all and never going to be okay.

Next moment, all Joon see is red. He yanked Mir's hand and pushed him away. "I don't need your help. Don't come near me." he entered his room and closed the door between them.

Mir looked to his own hand. A single drop of water fell to his palm. He looked at it curiously and feels another fell from his eyes. He gasped when the pain crept on his heart. He was crying.

 

 

Written by : HoneyJune


here the first chapter. Hope you guys enjoy it, also, I change the foreword with the edited one.