Summer Holiday 2

Road to...

“Do you really know how to fish?” Gina asked Daesung who was trying to put the bait on to his hook. He grinned confidently and raised his chin arrogantly. “I had special training which all the others didn’t get – Family Outing.” Gina laughed as she found a spot next to Daesung on the yacht. Seungri was also setting up his fishing rod and a friendly competition started to see who could get the bigger fish today.

“I wonder if we’ll have anything to eat, looking at the two of them,” Anri said worriedly as she shaded her eyes from the strong glare. Hyomin quickly stuck a pair of sunglasses on her face. “I brought secret rations so don’t worry,” Hyomin smiled as she motioned towards the huge cooler box Youngbae and Jiyong had helped to carry.

“Keep cool,” Seunghyun said as he threw two cans of beer gently towards the girls. Hyomin caught hers neatly and proceeded to take a grateful gulp of the drink. Seunghyun wriggled his way between the two girls so he could sit with both of them on each side. Anri squealed her protest while Hyomin tucked her legs together to make more room for him.

“See! You’ve made Hyomin all squished up in her corner!” Anri said, even as Seunghyun scooted closer and closer to Hyomin. She hid her smile behind her can of beer, laughing at his playfulness and laughed even harder when he stuck his tongue out at Anri. Hyomin finally stood up and joined Youngbae and Jiyong who were exploring the contents of the big cooler box.

“She’s such an awkward girl,” Anri said, catching Seunghyun’s attention. “She’s really carefree and cheerful which I believe many guys find attractive. But when it comes to the person she likes, she sorts of just clams up and becomes all awkward and distant.”

Seunghyun tried to comprehend what Anri had just shared. He observed how Hyomin was bantering with Youngbae, punching him lightly and stuff while keeping her eyes averted from Jiyong all the time, even when he was talking. Does she like Jiyong?

Sunburnt and tired, most of them had returned to the resort ready to crash. Hyomin lay awake and decided that her room was too silent. She slipped out of their suite silently and decided to take a stroll around the pool.

“Can’t sleep?” Hyomin felt the hairs on the back of her neck stand at the sound of the deep, soothing voice. She turned to see Seunghyun seated at one of the poolside tables, with a bottle of red wine uncorked. He pulled a chair out for her and she sat down. Seunghyun noticed the goosebumps on her arms and promptly draped his own jumper over her shoulders. Hyomin waited silently for him to take his seat again.

“Mind sharing?” he offered her the wine that was in the lone glass that was on the table. “I brought this down from the suite and only brought one.” Hyomin took a sip gingerly, tasting the wine fully before swallowing. She cocked her head slightly to show her approval for the wine.

They sat in silence for a while, listening to the distant sound of the waves and looking up at the stars. “Do you always say so little when you’re alone with others?” Seunghyun asked suddenly, snapping Hyomin out from her daydream. She stared at him with wide eyes as he sighed. “Or is talking to me that boring?”

“Oppa, what are you talking about?” Hyomin said carefully. “Maybe I’m just tired today… Why were you here anyway?”

“Thinking about you,” Seunghyun said. Hyomin felt a shiver run up her spine, even as her cheeks flared. “I told you before, I’m in great trouble.” His gaze was intense, eyes filled with worry and anxiety, as well as a great longing. Hyomin broke eye contact and took a deep breath.

“Stop teasing me,” Hyomin mumbled. “Both you and Jiyong are just too playful.” Seunghyun leaned forward and rested his chin on his palm. “I’m not – I thought I already made it quite clear to you. I wouldn't lie to you or your late parents. And I can tell you that Jiyong is not being playful either. That’s why I don’t like it,” Seunghyun growled. Hyomin blinked and pretended to take a sip from the wine glass.

“Stop it, we can’t just go complicating things – I know how both you and Jiyong feel. That’s what bothers me. We work together, we can’t do this to each other,” Hyomin said but was cut off by Seunghyun grabbing her hand. “I want to know what your true feelings are – not what is right or wrong.”

Hyomin thought she would get lost in his eyes. All she could see was him and in that moment, they were the only ones in the world. She only realized that she had been holding her breath when he spoke again. “Your rules – what happens here stays here. Tell me honestly and your secret will not leave this place. I promise,” Seunghyun said.

Hyomin closed her eyes and nodded. “I know how Jiyong oppa feels but I can’t reciprocate his feelings – so I’ve been avoiding him ever since. But it’s hard because we work together  – he is the reason why I even got the opportunity to be in YG, to know all of you and discover my own hidden passion. I don’t want things to get awkward between us or our friendship to sour because of this.” Hyomin paused and pulled his jumper tighter around herself. “I know running away is not a solution but I don't know how things will be like after... "

Hyomin trailed off helplessly and reached for the wine glass once again. Seunghyun's eyes never left her - scrutinizing every single nervous movement she made. He was relieved to know that Jiyong had not been able to cast his spell on Hyomin yet. It was so easy to fall in love with Jiyong - but Hyomin was not one of those girls. Hyomin her lips and looked up at Seunghyun. "And I’ve been avoiding you because I don’t want Jiyong oppa to get hurt.”

That was all Seunghyun needed to hear. He was on his feet and leaning down over Hyomin, kissing her urgently, gently coaxing her to kiss him back. Hyomin pushed against him but he stubbornly stood his ground, not backing down. He pulled away and stared at her blushing face.

"I'm sorry," Seunghyun whispered as he brushed her lips gently with his fingertips. "But now that I know, I can't stop myself. And," his tone was brighter now. "Give Jiyong some credit. He's a great man, he'll understand that it's not the end of the world even if you reject him. He'll find a new target in two weeks." Seunghyun laughed as Hyomin smacked his arm.