Harder than I thought

I love you, Stupid

Soojung's POV

After we announced the engagement, we were congratulated by everyone at the party and I was obviously feeling guilty and sad but as I had learned throughout the years I couldn't show that because people would start spreading rumours and that would just ruin everything I had managed to get in such a little amount of time. I hadn't realized how much Amber had changed my life up until that moment, she had been the reason for every decision I took and I was thinking of something that I had to do but that would turn my world upside down. I didn't know what to do, Jongsuk took me home.

Jongsuk: I hope meeting that person didn't change your mind about the marriage.

Me: What are you talking about? I'm not going to change my mind any time soon.

Jongsuk: It makes me really happy that you say that.

He held me close and kissed my forehead, after that he just stared into my eyes and I just looked back at him not knowing what else to say, he smiled the way he did when something was wrong and even though I knew it I could only smile and say goodbye. He walked away from me, we were both very confused after meeting Amber so we knew we pretended it didn't happen, like fools we ran away from reality.

I got inside the house and Jessica hugged me as soon as I took off my shoes.

Jessica: Don't worry about what happened tonight, I will make sure nothing gets in the middle of your relationship with Jongsuk.

Me: You know that I always worry when you say you'll make sure of something. What did you do?

Jessica: I just told Amber that you are very in love with Jongsuk.

Me: I am.

Jessica: Then I have nothing to worry about, let me remind you that everything I'm achieving is because of you. And I'm really thankful for that.

Me: I know that, but you've also worked hard to get where you are. It's not easy to leave the sisters you grew up with to make your dreams come true.

Jessica: I told you not to mention that to me again.

Me: I'm sorry.

I walked away from her.

Jessica: I left the information for the uniform project in your room. We're working with a promising fashion designer, he's dating Ailee.

Me: What?

Jessica: Yeah, I saw them at the party. We're meeting him in a week, you better get some ideas for the uniforms.

Me: Can you remind me why we're making school uniforms?

Jessica: They are for Korea Kent Foreign Highschool, we both went there and they offered us the project. I'm thankful to them, that's why.

Me: Alright.

I went to my room and got ready for bed, before that I got into bed I sat in my desk and held the papers with the information in my hands. I read them and when I got to the point of the designers' teams I saw Amber's name in the list and I could feel my heart clenching in my chest.

Me: Did Jessica not read the papers? Why would she let Amber work with me? She probably doesn't know...

I couldn't sleep at night, the thought of working with Amber made me insomniac but I knew I had to get over it and act like it was no big deal and I also knew that Jessica definitely couldn't find out that Amber was also working on the project, if she did she was going to make sure they kicked Amber out even if it risked her reputation or possibly make her loose the project. Then a new day arrived and I had to go to the school to talk with the principal and some students about what they wanted or what they would like their uniforms to look like, I got up from bed and changed my clothes, put on some make up and after drinking coffee I drove to the school; a teacher guided me to the principal's office.

Me: Good morning sir.

Principal Song: Good morning miss Jung.

Me: I wanted to talk to you about the project.

Principal Song: I know, I have some ideas myself.

Me: Why don't you tell me about them?

I took out a notebook and wrote down the important things he mentioned, he didn't want it to change so much. "Something traditional". I listened carefully to the details about the design so I wouldn't miss a thing.

Principal Song: I would like to hold a Fashion Show, to show the other students what their uniforms will look like.

Me: How about this? The brand will suggest three options and the students will vote, we can also let some of the students participate in the catwalk.

Principal Song: That would be great, you have some good ideas miss Jung.

Me: Thanks sir.

Principal: It's good to know that you're doing well after that scandal.

Me: I try not to think much of it, it's been hard but I have to do well for my sake.

Principal Song: That's right. Well, I'll see you soon.

Me: Thanks for your time.

I walked out of the office and decided to walk around the school but then I got hungry so I decided to go to the cafeteria to eat something, some of the students looked at me and started talking to each other but I ignored them and kept going. I paid for my lunch and the lunchlady gave it to me, I spotted an empty table and went there but I stopped as soon as I noticed Amber sitting there with another girl and the designer we were working with. Amber saw me as well and she looked stunned, I almost let go of the tray but I braced myself and looked forward and after looking the other way I went past that table but then the designer called me.

Mr. Li: Miss Jung!

I breathed out and looked back at him with a smile.

Me: Good morning Mr. Li, it's nice to meet you here.

Mr. Li: What are you doing with that school lunch? Why don't we go out to eat at a restaurant?

Me: I already paid for this, it would be bad if it went to waste. Besides, I'm okay with this.

Mr. Li: How can I let a designer eat such things!? Come on.

He stood up and took the tray from my hands and then went towards the trashcan, I went after him but Amber snatched the tray from him and gave it back to him.

Amber: If she wants to eat this let her be, we can go eat somewhere else without her.

Mr. Li: Don't you ever dare do that again miss Liu, if you do that again I will fire you.

Amber: What you were about to do was wrong, forgive me for trying to do the right thing.

Me: It's ok, please go on without me. I'd like to spend some time on my own.

Mr. Li: Whatever.

He left and Amber followed with the other girl, I sat down in the empty table I had found, I started eating and a girl approached me.

Me: Hello. What's your name?

Girl: My name is Park Lily. You are Jung Krystal, right?

Me: I prefer Soojung now.

I smiled and she tried to ask me about my sister and why I had quitted SM, I told her with a smile that I didn't want to talk about that and move on with my life and then I walked away from her but she ran after me and bowed.

Lily: I'm sorry I made you remember such things.

Me: It's ok, I guess I made you and others feel confused. Everything happened so quickly I just couldn't handle it...when the time comes I'll explain it to you, I promise.

She looked at me and smiled brightly, she said she had to go back to her classes so she left and I decided to head back home, I drove around Seoul before getting on my way until I saw a park that looked quiet and empty, it was in front of the Han river. I parked my car and walked towards a bench while holding my notebook in my hand and my cellphone in the other, I sat down quietly and closed my eyes for a moment to think and listen to the darkest deepest thoughts inside my mind. I opened my eyes.

I found myself thinking about Amber and all of the memories I had with her, if I had to work with her I would end up falling for her all over again and I couldn't let that happen knowing that I was going to marry Jongsuk. As if life was making fun of me I was able to see Amber sitting in the bus stop accross the street, without realizing it I was running towards her as fast as I could, she saw me running and she stood up, I carefully crossed the street and then I was standing in front of her. I held her hand and dragged her inside my car and drove to my place, I knew Jessica was working at the office and that she wouldn't get home early; I guided Amber to my bedroom, she followed silently and not resisting at all. We were facing each other and looking into our eyes, with tears running down my cheeks I placed my hand in her cheek and kissed her, I had missed her lips so much that I kept kissing her for as long as she let me. She then stepped back and put my hand down, she cupped my face and wiped my tears.

Amber: I missed you.

Me: I missed you more, stupid.

Amber: This is not what I want.

Me: What do you mean?

Amber: I do want to be with you, but not like this...not when you're about to get married.

I couldn't answer to that, I couldn't promise her I would break the engagement because I couldn't hurt Jessica or Jongsuk.

Me: What can I do then? I have no idea of what I can do...please help me.

Amber: We have to think carefully about this Soojung, I don't want to be the reason you ruin your reputation.

Me: What reputation do I have left? We dated and then broke up, then we left the company. SM made sure no one hired me, just because my sister owns her brand she was able to take me in and everyone knows that.

Amber: We need to be patient, my only advice for now is for you to make up your mind and talk to Jongsuk and Jessica.

Me: But if she finds out I'm breaking the engagement because of you she will kill you. 

Amber: We'll find a way to make her accept our relationship.

Me: I don't know if I'll be able to talk to her about this...she doesn't like us together.

Amber: She left that quite clear the day of the engagement party.

Me: What do you mean?

Amber: She told me to stay away from you, my guess is that if she finds out I make you second guess the marriage she will send you to the States.

Me: I wouldn't go even if she dragged me there.

Amber: Make up your mind, we won't do anything for now...not until you've fixed everything. I'm going to go before your sister gets here.

Me: I can drive you if you want.

Amber: I'd accept but the situation right now isn't good, let's not risk it. I have to go now.

Me: Alright...take care of yourself.

Amber: Yeah, you too.

I didn't walk her to the bus stop, she went out of the house all by herself and she also left me alone in my room asking myself what the hell I had just done...I had just betrayed Jongsuk and proved myself wrong about me moving on from Amber. I knew it all along but I kept on denying it.

Me: What am I going to do now?

Amber's POV

After I left the school with Mr. Li and his assistant we went to a fancy restaurant, I told him I wasn't dressed for the restaurant and went to another place I knew. It was close to the Han river and after I finished eating I went to the bus stop so I could go back home but then I saw Soojung running towards me, it felt like I was dreaming at first but as soon as I felt the grip she had on my arm when she took me inside her car I knew it wasn't a dream. No words, I couldn't tell her to stop what she was doing because I also felt like I wanted what she wanted at that moment. Once we reached her bedroom she just kissed me but I didn't move an inch, I was shocked for her bravery. I stepped away when it felt like it was enough, I told her what I thought and after I left her house I didn't go straight to my place, I went to a bar because I really needed a drink.

After thinking about what happened before I realized Soojung was going to blame herself for every consequence that "act of bravery" would bring even thought I could have stopped her anytime, she wasn't able to handle situations without me and this decision was going to be difficult for her in every way because I knew better than anyone that she wasn't going to be able to face her sister and tell her that she really didn't love Lee Jongsuk and that she didn't want to go through the marriage. 

I got home and I really couldn't stop thinking about it, I just laid on top of my bed hoping I would figure out a way to help her but I couldn't do anything, my hands were tied so all that I could do was to give her the mental support she needed and to encourage her to do the right thing. Encourage her to get her mind straight about what she wanted to do in reality. How could I get involved without the press finding out and making a scandal out of it? If Jessica acted out because of it everyone would notice and they wouldn't stay quiet... every scenario that I thought of ended up with everything being leaked and none of us having a peaceful life knowing that we did what was right. As much as I wished to be with Soojung even if it meant her having an affair with me I couldn't do that to her and I could never live peacefully knowing that I stole a man's girl, I could never show that man that his girlfriend not to say his fiancee didn't love him and lied to his face. How could I?