CHAPTER 4 - The Fool

The Silver Chain Circle

Nana and Luhan went back to the function room. Jungah was on stage with a tall and matured-looking yet handsome man wearing leather jacket, white shirt, black pants, and black boots. Even though he's wearing eyeglasses, the goddesses think that he still look hot.

"Who is he?", Nana askedwhen he saw the handsome man on stage.

"He is Choi Seunghyun, the adviser of Silver Chain Circle, but we call him Sir TOP", Luhan replied. Nana just nodded as if she found out an interesting information.

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen! I know you're still enjoying the party but we'll only cut it short for an important announcement", Jungah said, then she gave the microphone to TOP. Jungah is the leader of the Silver Chain Circle and the reigning queen bee of Hyun Young University.

At that point, the door opened behind them. A guy with blonde hair wearing an all-black attire just came in. He is also wearing dark shades. Everyone had their eyes on him. When Nana saw him, she was surprised, especially when the guy removed his shades.

"Sorry I'm late", the guy said. "I just had a problem on my way here."

"It's okay. You're just in time, Kris Wu", TOP replied with a smirk.

When everyone had their attention back on TOP, Kris and Nana looked at each other. It looks like Kris was not surprised with Nana's presence at all, as if he knew they will see each other again in this place. He gave her a y smile that made Nana's heart skip a beat. He walked and stood beside Nana.

"So you're the newbie", Kris said to Nana.

Nana nodded. Kris just smiled again to her, and later paid attention to TOP.  Nana also did the same.

"Like what Jungah said earlier, I have an important announcement", TOP said, then his lips curved into smirk. "We are going to play hide and clap."

Everyone in the room started whispering to each other. Even Nana can't fully absorbed what TOP just said, but Kris knew this is not a good idea.

"What do you mean, sir?", the girl beside Jungah wearing black off-shoulder dress asked. The girl's name is Lee Jooyeon, a famous internet ulzzang and an heiress to a famous hotel resort in Korea. 

"The search for the new leader of the Silver Chain Circle is on for the next school year. We had a bunch of boring appointment this past few years, and I want to make it exciting for us."

"What's so exciting about that? Hide and clap? Sheez... that's very childish", the guy named Kai smirked. Kaeun held his arm and gave him a "stop it" look. 

"Kai, let's listen first to what TOP-sunbae will say", Raina's brother, Oh Sehun told him. TOP gave him a smile of relief.

"Thank you, Oh Sehun",TOP said. Sehun gave him a thumbs up.

"If you'll remember, your role was told in the invitation that was sent to you. Your roles were based on Greek gods and goddesses. No one should know your roles except you."

Dear Goddess Athena...

 

So she's Athena, the goddess of war, she thought. Athena, that's her role.

"In this game, the only survivor will become the new leader of Silver Chain Circle and that new leader's family will become more famous in whole Korea. All you have to do is to guess the roles of your co-members", TOP explained.

"Are you going to give us clues on the roles of our co-members?", Lizzy asked.

"Yes. You'll hear three claps that will lead you to the clues", TOP replied. "When your co-members found out your roles, you're out of the game."

"Are you scared?", Kris asked Nana.

Nana smirked. "Why should I? Is there something scary in that game Sir TOP is talking about?"

"It's not as simple as you think", it looks like Kris can tell what's on her mind. From the way Kris looked at her, it looks like that game is not that simple and childish as she thinks.

"And there's a catch", TOP continued. "One of you is a mortal. Guess who that person is, it will be your big advantage. Higher points will be given to you, but when that person catches you, it will be a danger to all of you."

Whispers were heard again. Lizzy and Chanyeol looked at each other. Chanyeol saw fear in his wife's eyes so he pulled her in a hug. Jooyeon held her boyfriend Kim Jongdae's hand tightly. Baekhyun obviously felt nervious, tensed and scared.  Nana managed to maintain her composure but deep inside, fear was like eating her heart out.  With the tone of TOP's words, this is not just a simple game...

It might be something dangerous...

"Don't worry, Nana. Nothing will happen to you", Luhan said, then he took Nana's hand. When Kris noticed this he quickly changed his glance.

"I'll just... go out for a minute", Nana said, then she took back her hand from Luhan and went out of the function room.

*****

Nana looked at her watch. It's already 10 PM. She didn't notice that it's already late, so she took her cellphone from her bag to call her grandmother.

"Grandma, the gathering has ended. Please tell the driver to pick me up", Nana said.

"It's too early. How about you go out and enjoy with your new friends?", Jung Hee said.

"They're going home now, grandma", Nana replied. "So please pick me up."

"I don't think so, Nana. Learn to socialize with the members."

"But grandma ----"

Jung Hee's line was cut off.

"Dammit!", Nana whispered indignantly. She don't want to stay in that place anymore. She want to go home.

If the driver will not pick her up right now, she will just take the taxi. She walked briskly on the hallway to went out of the manor.

She was almost near the exit when the unexpected happened. A tall guy fell from the 2nd floor of the manor. It's body hit the cement floor. It was like she heard its bones crushing. She stepped back and stood there dumbfounded on what she saw...

...At that point, Nana can't hold it in and she screamed.

*****

The place of the incident was filled with people from the media. Not only the media became restless, but also the members of Silver Chain Circle. The incident spread like wildfire, because the man who fell was Park Chanyeol, son of one of the most influencial and powerful businessmen in Korea. Chanyeol's wife, Lizzy, was crying while they're in the ambulance on their way to hospital. Nana was silent and she don't want to speak. The two of them were flocked by the media to get their statement. Out of pity, Kris covered Nana with his coat and helped her get in his car.

"Are you okay?", Kris asked Nana when they got in the car.

"I don't know", Nana replied, then she covered her face with her two hands.

"Let's go to the hospital. I want to know what happened to Chanyeol. If you don't want to get out of the car later, it's okay..."

"I also want to know Chanyeol's condition, so it's fine", Nana replied. Kris just sighed and focused his attention back to driving.

He winced a little when Kris felt a sharp pain on his arm.

"Kris, are you alright?", Nana asked when he saw him winced.

"I'm okay, Nana.", Kris replied, but the wound on his arm became more painful.

"Something's wrong with you. Let me check."

"Nana, it's not necessary ---"

Nana saw the slash wound on Kris' arm when she removed the blood- stained bandage covering it. She stopped and looked at Kris.

"Is that you?"

"Me? Who?"

"The one who saved me."

He sighed. "It's me, Nana."

Nana looked at him curiously. "Why do I feel that you know me? Have we met before that, Kris?"

Kris stopped the car in front of the hospital where Chanyeol was brought.

"Let's talk about that later, Nana. We're here", Kris said coldly, then he got out and opened the door of the car for Nana.

When they entered the hospital, Kris and Nana immediately asked the nurse where Chanyeol's ward is. When they found the Room 518 (This is the room the nurse told them where Chanyeol is.), they found Lizzy outside Chanyeol's room, crying and depressed. Lizzy saw them so she ran toward Nana and hugged her.

"How's Chanyeol?", Nana asked.

"He's in comatose state", Lizzy replied. "He had a traumatic impact on his head. I'm scared. I don't want my husband to die..."

"It won't happen, Lizzy", Kris said. "I know Hanyeol. He'll fight for his life for you."

That words somehow made Lizzy feel better, but Nana noticed that the two avoid each other's glances. Is there something between this two?

"Excuse us, can we talk to Im Ji Nah?", the police just arrived. 

"It's me. Why?", Nana asked hesitantly.

"We have a few questions for you."

"Could you just interrogate her next time? It looks like she's having a hard time now", Kris protested.

"Kris, it's okay. They'll just ask me some questions. I'll just tell them what I saw", Nana said.

"But Nana..."

"I told you, Kris. I'm going to be okay", then she turned to the policemen. "What do you want to ask?"

 

Nana was just asked questions regarding on what she saw in the crime scene. She answered all yhe questions flatly and straight to the point. Exactly after the interrogation, Raina and her boyfriend Do Kyungsoo came.

"Nana, I heard you were interrogated. How didi it go?", Raina asked, worried.

"It's okay. You don't have to worry about me. We should think about Chanyeol at this moment", Nana replied.

Kris smiled a little. Nana didn't really changed that much.

"They just started the game", Kyungsoo said.

The attention of everyone were drawn to him.

"Jagiya, what are you saying?", Raina whispered, then she took Kyungsoo's hand.

"We have to be careful. No one should really know our roles in the Silver Chain Circle", Kyungsoo added. He did not answer Raina's question.

For the first time, Nana felt that her heart was being pounded in fear. She might be a cold person outside, but she can still feel fear. She care about her safety somehow.

Is Kyungsoo really right? If this is the game TOP is talking about, it is really dangerous.