CHAPTER 2 - Invitation

The Silver Chain Circle

Nana just raised her eyebrow after she read the letter. Yoona's right, it's an invitation for Nana, an invitation for her to study in a known school aand to be a member of an elite group there.

"Well? What does it say?", Yoona asked curiously.

Nana bluntly put the letter on the table. "I'm not interested."

Yoona took the invitation, and her eyes widened when she read it. "Nana! It's an invitation for you to study in Hyun Young University!"

"That's why I'm not interested", Nana replied.

"And you are also invited to join the Silver Chain Circle!", Yoona added.

"The more I'm not interested", and Nana grabbed her bag and she was about to get out of the door. For sure this was her grandmother's doing. She must have set her up to this. She's trying to control her life.

"Nana, this is a good opportunity. You are going to school again", Yoona tried to convince her.

"If this is grandma's doing, no thanks. I don't want to have a debt of gratitude toward her, unnie", she coldly replied. "Excuse me, unnie. I have to go. I don't want to be late for work."

 

At the coffee shop...

"Hyun Young University? Wow, Nana! You're going to school again, and in a much better school!", Mir said excitedly when nana told him about the invitation she received that morning. "And they want you to be a member of the Silver Chain Circle! Look at that, luck is really coming to you without even asking for it!"

She sighed. "But I did not accept it. I'm not interested with Hyun Young or the Silver Chain Circle, especially if it's my grandma's doing the reason why I got there."

"But if it's because of your grandma's doing, then I think she really want to compensate to you", Mir said.

"Whatever her reason was, I still don't want it. I don't want to have a debt of gratitude with that woman", she got even more annoyed because of the pursuing of people around her to accept the "blessing".

"The prestigious group Silver Chain Circle will have new members!", the reporter in TV began.

Nana rolled her eyes in annoyance. It really has to be broadcasted, huh? She really had no plans of attending that pesky meeting, anyway.

After her shift, Nana decided to visit her mother in the mental hospital. She found her mother sitting at the corner in her ward, holding a rag doll. Nana entered the ward and approached her mother.

"Mom, how're you doing?"

Her mom just smiled at her. "Where's your dad? Is he with you?"

Nana did not know how to answer. Until now, her mom is still searching and yearning for her dad. Her mom is still blind to the fact that the person she is searching and yearning for is already dead.

"Umm...Mom, I brought you something to eat. Here", Nana gave a piece of melon bread to her mother, then the latter took and eat it.

"This is delicious!", Soonmi said, then she took another bite. Nana almost tear up in pity for her mother, but she managed to hold herself back from crying.

It was already 8PM when she decided to go home. She decided to just take a walk so she can think more while walking.

Later, a group of men that looked like gangsters blocked her way.

"What do you want?", Nana asked with her head held high. She don't want them to see that she's a little bit nervous with this.

"She's a pretty chick, dude! Wow!", one of the men commented like a ert. It looked like these men wanted to do something to her.

Nana whacked them with her bag and she ran away, until she stooped down and fell.

"Gotcha!", one of the men grabbed her ankle. Nana was now reallly afraid. She might get or something...

*BOOGSH!!*

A tall man suddenly came to save her. He is wearing a mask that conceal his mouth and he is also wearing a leather jacket.

Nana gasped at the action movie-like scene. It's like the gangsters are nothing compared to the stranger for they were like action figures that are being thrown out. Then one of the gangsters took a swiss knife from its pocket and slashed the stranger's arm. Nana almost screamed. If the stranger made a wrong move, he had been stabbed by that gangster.

After defeating the gangsters, the stranger took Nana's wrist and took her away.

"Wait! Your wound, it's bleeding", nana said, then she took a white handkerchief from her pocket and tied it around the man's bleeding arm.

"There's still warmth in your heart", the man said.

Nana looked at him, confused. "What...What are you saying?"

"I missed you, Nana", the stranger did not answer her question. "Go home now. Don't take a shortcut because it's already late. Take care", then he walked away.

Nana stared at the guy. Why did he sound like he knew her? Why does she feel like they are connected? Who is really that man who saved her?

When Nana got home, her grandmother was there again. The timing was right for she wanted to confront her, so she took the opportunity.

"Nana! It's nice to ----"

"Did you did this?", she took the invitation from the drawer and placed it in front of her grandmother with a hint of rage.

Jung Hee smiled. "Well, I did that for your future..."

"Stop trying to take control of my life!", Nana raised her voice.

"You are still young, Nana! And besides, I also recommended Yoona in another good school. She loves fashion design, so I recommended her to a fashion college."

"Why are you doing this? Can't you just leave us alone?"

"I can't let you decide that for yourself because you are my granddaughters!", Jung Hee replied. "So whether you like it or not, you're going to enter Hyun Young University and be a member of the Silver Chain Circle. If you disobeyed, I'll send Yoona to States and I'll separate you two!"

"Dammit", Nana can't control her anger anymore. She kicked the sofa beside her. She was about to go upstairs when Jung Hee stood on her way. 

"Stop being so stubborn, Nana! You are not used to this kind of life! Why endure this?"

"I'd rather live here than let you control our lives", Nana replied.

"Nana! Show a little bit of respect to Grandma!", Yoona reprimanded her.

"Respect?", Nana smirked. "Have you forgotten what she did to us, unnie? She almost throw us out! And then she wants to separate us? This... This is absurd."

Yoona cried because she remembered the day it happened.

"Tell her to go home now, unnie", Nana said, then she went upstairs to her room.

 

Nana's heart was filled with anger and pain that night. She still haven't forgiven her grandmother for what she had done to their family.

That night, she thought about Hyun Young University and the Silver Chain Circle. Her grandmother also crossed her mind. A little smile curved on her thin lips. She already know what to do.

 

The next day, at Im Jung Hee's mansion...

The maid opened the gate for Nana when it confirmed that she is Jung Hee's granddaughter. The maid told her to take a seat while she go get something for her to drink.

Her grandmother is really that rich. Nana thinks this house is not appropriate to be called just a "mansion". It should be "palace". Nana admitted, she really miss this kind of life.

"Nana! You stopped by to see me?", her grandmother smiled as she hastily went downstairs.

"I had made a decision", Nana said.

"A decision?"

"I'm going to study in Hyun Young University and join the Silver Chan Circle, but in one condition."

Im Jung Hee smirked. "Somehow, you had one of my traits, Jin Ah."

"I will study in Hyun Young in University if you will promise that you are going to provide treatment to my mom in a better hospital", Nana said.

"There is no hope for your mother's condition."

"Fine. Let's just forget everything about this", Nana was about to leave when Jung Hee grabbed her arm.

"It's a deal", she said right away. Nana's lips drew a smirk.

This is like signing a contract with the devil, but Nana doesn't think about it too much. As long as her grandmother will do their deal, there will be no problem...

 

But... is there really no problem?