CHAPTER 1 - Come, You are Choosen

The Silver Chain Circle

She has always been an epitome of a "".

 

Nana thinks it's not right or appropriate for someone to call her that. If she's a , she must be talking behind someone's back, but she's not like that. She will tell it straight to your face if you looked like a cheap in your mini dress or if your Gucci bag is obviously fake. She will always say what's on her mind, even if it sounds harsh, so it's not surprising that she has a number of haters, especially on the female side. Guys don't care about her attitude anyway, besides she has a killer beauty and body.

Nana, or Im Jin Ah by her real name, has also been an object of admiration among guys. In her former school, she's like a goddess being served and worshipped by men. There is not even a single day that she didn't receive love letters in her locker. If not love letters, chocolates or flowers are the ones she received. She would just roll her eyes when she sees them inside her locker, then she will throw them out or burn them. She would just feel annoyed because it's like those suitors are turning her locker into "trash bin".

Guys are aware of her blunt and brutally frank comments, but it's okay. A girl like her has the right to be like that, anyway.

Her face often reflects the lack of emotion or her coldness, but now, it is obvious that she's holding back her tears because she don't want to cry, especially because of the horrible scene that was shown before her eyes.

A man was seen lifelessly hanging with its head tied with a rope that was hanging from the ceiling. Nana clenched her fists because she really didn't want to cry, because that man was...her father.

Her mother's world crashed when she saw the horrible scene. On the day of her father's burial, Nana's mom won't speak to her. The woman would just stare and worse, she will just talk to herself. Nana would feel annoyed and angry to her mom because of its weakness. Good thing her sister, Yoona, was always there to help her.

"Let's just understand her, Jin Ah. She's having a hard time now", Yoona said.

"No, unnie. Can't you see? Mom almost killed herself from what she is doing! Don't tell me we're not going to do something about this!", Nana was about to confront her mom but Yoona stopped her.

"Of course we're not going to let her to be like this often, but this is not yet the right time. Nana, just hold it in for awhile, please?"

She sighed. Nana hastily took her arm back from Yoona's grip and went upstairs to her room.

She went inside her bathroom to take a tub bath. She want to calm herself down. Everything that is happening right now pisses her off. She looked around her and tears started to well up from her eyes. In a few days, they will lose everything, and they will live in poverty.

After a few days, the bank took their house as a collateral to their father's debt at the sisters were sent out of their house. It worsen their mother's depression, so the two sisters decided to make a big decision.

"Where..Where are you taking me? Let me go!", Im Soonmi shouted. She tried to free herself from her strait jacket. Nana just sighed while Yoona leaned on her and cried.

Nana and Yoona are now living in a small apartment in Seoul. They were forced to drop out of their former school because they can't afford the tuition now. They were also forced to find a job to continue living.  Yoona is now working as a waitress in a restaurant owned by her boyfriend Siwon while Nana is working as a barista in coffee shop owned by her former classmate and suitor Mir.

 

After a week....

Nana was walking on her way to work when she three girls blocked her way. It was in Nana's character not to let anyone or anything scare her, especially these three es in front of her.

"Long time no see, Im Jin Ah. I missed you. I heard that your business got bankrupt, your dad committed suicide, and your mom is now in mental hospital", the girl with curly and blonde hair remarked as if trying to annoy her. Nana smirked, showing the girl that she is not affected by that nasty remark. 

"Looks like you have eaten too much flakes and oats this morning, Saemi. I missed you too, but I have more important things to do than to play games with you. Excuse me", Nana was about to leave when Saemi grabbed her arm.

"Don't turn your back when I'm talking to you", the girl said annoyed, then she slapped Nana.

The slap was a little bit painful, but as usual, Nana concealed the feeling that it hurt her. She quickly regained her poise. She tucked her hair behind her ear, gave an annoying smile to Saemi, then slapped her. Saemi almost fell. Nana's slap is harder compared to Saemi's. 

"It hurts. Is your face really that rough and hard?", Nana said with an icy expression on her face.

"You...You !", Saemi angrily shouted at her.

"What? I just gave you what you want. You want war? I'll give you war. If you want, I'll give you another one", Nana said, then she flipped her hair. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go."

"We're not yet through!"

Nana looked back at Saemi. "Go ahead. I'll wait for another round", then she walked away.

Nana took a deep breath. She felt calm. That Saemi is a social climber, for crying out loud. She's one of those people who always stick to her when she was still in Yu Ra University. Now that she's gone, Nana heard that Saemi was the new queen bee. Well, she doesn't give a damn about that . She knows everything about that woman, but she has no intention of spreading it. After all, she's still a woman with class.

When she entered the coffee shop, Mir greeted her.

"Good morning, Nana!" ^_^

"Good morning", she sighed.

Mir noticed the slap mark on Nana's cheek. "Nana, what happened to your cheek?"

"It's nothing, Mir. It's just a little bit itchy that I scratched it", Nana said.

"Are you sure? No one tried to hurt you?"

"C'mon, Mir. Don't overreact. Something just irritated my skin so it's nothing serious and please, stop acting like my knight in shining armor. I can take care of myself. I won't let anyone hurt me", Nana said while putting on her apron. Sometimes she really get annoyed when  her ex-suitor act like a restless boyfriend.

"I am going to do my work first. Stop flirting with me, for once", Nana said seriously.

"Even though you snub me all the time, you're still pretty", Mir grinned. Nana just rolled her eyes.

 

That night...

When Nana got home from work, she almost gasp when she saw Yoona with an elegant old woman. That woman is their grandmother, Im Jung Hee.

"You're home, Im Jin Ah", the old woman smiled.

"What is she doing here, unnie?", Nana asked coldly to Yoona.

"She just stopped by to ask how we're doing", Yoona replied.

"Really?", Nana smirked in annoyance. "There, Dad committed suicide, his business is now bankrupt, and Mom is in mental institution. Are you happy now? You have proven that Dad is a useless father and husband, because here we are now, living a difficult life."

"And that's exactly the reason why I'm here, Jin Ah. I want to take you out in this kind of life right away. I want you to live with me", Jung Hee said, then she touched Nana's shoulder.

Nana shoved off her grandmother's hand. "No thanks, grandma. There's no need. You had already thrown us out of your house and life, and now you are taking us to live with you just like that?"

"That's why I want to be a good grandmother to you. I will send you to school again...to an even better school. You want to become a film director, right? I can give you a brighter future", the madame offered. "You don't have to work everyday like that to live."

Nana just stared at her grandmother. Honestly, the offer was good. If they accept it, they will live like they used to, but it also means she also accept that their grandmother will take control of their lives.

"I'm going to my room. I want to rest", Nana said, then she left Yoona and Jung Hee in the living room.

 

The next day...

When Nana went downstairs to the dining area, she saw Yoona cooking their breakfast but she's also with a tall guy wearing black pants and white polo and the two are laughing heartily. Nana knew the guy. It's because that guy is Choi Siwon, Yoona's boyfriend.

"Good morning, Nana!", Yoona greeted her happily when the former saw her.

"Good morning", she bluntly replied.

"Eat. You might be late for work", Yoona said, then she put a plate of bacon and a bowl of fried rice on the table.

"What's Siwon doing here?", Nana asked coldly to her sister, then she looked and raised an eyebrow to Siwon.

"We're going to the restaurant together, so I had him come here for breakfast", Yoona said, then she touched Siwon's cheek.

Nana rolled her eyes in disgust. She gets annoyed when she see lovers displaying affection in front of her. This is the reason why she hate romantic movies.

After several minutes, the doorbell rang.

"Wait! I'll get it", Yoona said, then she went out to see who's there outside the gate. Nana looked at Siwon with a hint of suspicion.

"Hey, stop throwing those dagger looks at me", Siwon said. "Until now you still don't trust me?"

"It's hard to trust someone like you that is used in playing games with girls' feelings", Nana replied coldly, then she sipped her banana milk.

"What should I do to prove to you that I really love your sister? That I have changed?",Siwon asked  with a hint of despair.

Nana shrugged her shoulders. "I don't know. You can't blame me if I still don't trust you, Siwon." Siwon was a known playboy in Yu Ra University. He's the type of guy that can sleep even with a dozen girls in his room for one day, until he met Yoona.

"Nana, you have a letter. It's like an invitation", Yoona said, then she gave her a white envelope with a red stamp.

Nana took the envelope and opened it, then she read the letter inside it.

 

Dear Goddess Athena,

You are invited to join the other gods and goddesses in Mt. Olympus, for you have the exceptional beauty, intelligence, and rationality fit for an immortal.

You are invited to enter the prestigious Hyun Young University and be part of its Mt. Olympus, the Silver Chain Circle.

Meeting will start at 5 PM, Saturday, at the Raven Red Manor. Your presence is very much expected.

 

Sincerely,

The Silver Chain Circle