Four

Innocent Madness

~★~

The interior of the house is no different than the exterior. It is mostly empty if you exclude a couple chairs here and there and a small trunk lying dusty at one of the corners. The walls are decorated with a hideous faded floral wallpaper and there are parts were the true color shows, probably because these parts were covered with paintings of mirrors. The wooden planks beneath his feet squeaker when he walks on them and the sound alone makes the hair on the back of his head rise. There are no lights but he doesn't have a problem navigating around. 

The window originally led them to the empty living room, but Chanyeol takes his time going through all the rooms in the first floor. The kitchen is as empty on furniture as the living room and he checks the sink for water, not getting surprised that there actually isn't any. The cupboards are empty too. At the end of the hall there is a big staircase leading to the second floor and he promises to himself that he'll check it later, as well.

He, of course, hasn't forgotten about the girl and the presence of the knife should have made him more alarmed, but he feels abnormally comfortable around her. Just like when he simply took her hand and let her guide him. She just follows him around while he is searching the rooms without muttering a single word. He doesn't blame her as the situation is extremely awkward but it doesn't take long until Chanyeol has enough.

"Where am I? What is this place and why was that thing screaming about?" he asked with a loud voice, turning to face the girl. She straightened her head as it was always tilted to one side and put one finger in front of , indicating him to stay quiet. She, then, points the finger towards the stair and starts walking without waiting for him.


~★~

The girl leads him in the last room of the hallway. It's a kids' room. Surprisingly enough, it's full of toys and the walls are painted with the colors of the rainbow. The shelves on the wall are filled with books. There is a bed, too. The girl looks out of the window and then closes it and draws back the curtains. She lets the knife on the night stand and sits on the bed, indicating Chanyeol to do the same. 

"This world is the home to all the insane people and is created to torture the sane ones that happen to pass by. You really shouldn't be here right now. That thing that screamed before is coming for you. It knows you're here. You are safe now, though. As long as you stay in here quietly" she finally answers his previous questions. Her voice feels oddly familiar but he doesn't want to admit to whom he thinks it really belongs.

Suddenly, she reaches out her left hand and places it just under the deep gash underneath his eye. He freezes under her touch and just stares at her, not knowing what to do. "You fought well, young warrior. However, the pain that your body is under is by far greater than your friend's. He misses you greatly. You should quickly return to his side."

"My friend? Bae- Baekhyun was here? Where is he now? Please take me to him!" His voice is loud, almost too loud for her liking but she can't blame him. He takes her hand off his face and places his on each side of her, holding her tight. He needs to find him as quickly as possible. Baekhyun doesn't like staying alone for long periods of time. He feels neglected and bored. "Chanyeol, calm down he is fine"

"What did you do to him? How do you now my name? Why the hell am I here in the first place? Answer me!" One of his hands flies to the night stand and grabs the knife she left a few minutes ago, pressing the sharp side on her neck. She looks the least flustered of his actions, though. It's like she had seen it coming.

"You'll never get out of here alive if you kill me, young warrior" she whispers and he melts under the sound of her voice. She carefully pushes the hand that holds the knife away and places a sweet peck on his wound. After a few silent, filled with electricity, seconds he can actually feel his wound healing and when he places his hand on it, he is surprised enough to find it gone.

Before he has the chance to say anything, the young girl takes the knife from his hand and drags him with her on her way out of the house. They pass by houses he has already seen once and after running for a good five minutes, they reach to the same house that had saved them earlier. "Just don't ask and get in through the window" she screams and pushes him forward.  

"How can I trust you?" Chanyeol asks as he puts one leg through the window. "Consider this as the most precious present you will ever get, young warrior. I despise people like you the most. I'm sure you'll find your... best friend. Please keep Beakhyun safe, keep him happy and... alive. Don't treat him like you did to me" and with these last words she gives the final push to get him in.

~★~


When Chanyeol gets through the window he isn't in the living room of an old abandoned house like he expected. He likes what he sees more than that damned living room. Beakhyun is just before his eyes, yet he is so scared to approach him, to touch him, to simply talk to him, in case he vanishes like an illusion.

"Chanyeol, is that... really you?" asks Baekhyun and his voice gives Chanyeol the confidence he lacked. He rushes to the other and eagerly takes him in his arms, holding him so tight that he can feel his heart beating. Baekhyun cries. Chanyeol cries too. 

Chanyeol breaks the hug to sweep Beakhyun's tears away from his eyes. "I missed you so much... so so so so much. You can't imagine how sorry I am, Baek. This is all my fault. Oh God, how could I be so stupid? You went though so much pain because of me. I thought I would never see you again." and with that he presses the shorter male's head on his torso and holds him closer to his body than before.

"Wh-What are you talking about? How could this be your fault, you big clown? I'm fine now and you're here with me now. Everything's okay no-". Beakhyun doesn't get the chance to finish his sentence, though. Chanyeol interrupts him but he doesn't dare to meet his eyes while he speaks. 

"I've done something really bad, Baek..."