Fever's End

U & I
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Sorry if there's any spelling/grammar mistakes.

Fever IV : Make It Up

(The boys are 11 year old)

 

"Seunghyun?"

Seunghyun perked up immediately. It was a side effect of hearing Jiyong calling out his name, it never failed to cheer him up. Jiyong hadn't reached his room yet, but Seunghyun was already looking forward to it.

"Oh. Hey," Jiyong opened the door to his room and stuck his head in, looking tentative. "Are you still mad?"

Seunghyun froze halfway through turning his head away from his screen and smiling up at Jiyong. That's right, he remembered. He was mad at Jiyong. He tried to recall why.

"I meant to come over yesterday, I swear I did," Jiyong continued. Seunghyun thanked the Gods for his friend's babbling tendencies.

"No Jiyong," Seunghyun said, pretending to still be mad and not looking at Jiyong. "If you wanted to spend playtime with Soohyuk rather than me, that's fine. You don't have to.."

"What?" Jiyong interrupted him. "I wasn't with Soohyuk, I was with my mother. She's...she got sick."

Seunghyun finally looked up at Jiyong, alarmed. He saw the unshed tears in his eyes that were firmly trained on the ground, the droop of his shoulders and immediately felt like an idiot. He threw his console on the ground and got up.

"Jiyong!" he said, going up to him. He pulled Jiyong into the room by his arm and shut the door. "Why didn't you call me? How is she now?"

"She's asleep and father is with her today," Jiyong replied. "But yesterday… God I was so scared! She wouldn't stop coughing, and she could hardly make it from the couch to the bed."

"Jiyong! You should have called me, you idiot!"

Jiyong nodded, still looking at the ground. Seunghyun didn't know what to say to make him feel better. A sad Jiyong was an unthinkable concept in Seunghyun's world.

"Hey," he said, squeezing the arm he was still holding. "She'll be fine! I'll ask Hyeyoon noona to phone all the good doctors, okay? She'll get better, I promise!"

Jiyong nodded again, giving Seunghyun a grateful smile before looking back down again. It eased some of his initial worry.

"I...I'm sorry for not coming over yesterday," he said. "I'll make it up to you."

Seunghyun looked at him with a fond smile. Why had he ever questioned his friendship? Seunghyun really was an idiot sometimes.

"Okay. I know how you can make it up to me."

A moment later, Jiyong was blinking in confusion while finding himself with an armful of Seunghyun. Seunghyun squeezed him around his middle and whispered in his ear, "This is how."

Another second went by before Jiyong understood, and he squeezed back, burying his face into Seunghyun's shoulders, clutching Seunghyun's shirt tightly in both fists, finally shedding the tears.

 

Fever V: Part of Your World

(The boys are 14 year old)

 

Mrs. Kwon had never seen Seunghyun like this before. He was sitting on her couch, hands curled around his knees, face looking lost and small amongst all the cushions and blankets.

Jiyong had dragged him in a few minutes ago, and Mrs. Kwon had been alarmed to see him crying but one look from Jiyong had made her hesitate on her way to confront him and ask about it. She had instead made her way into the kitchen to make them some tea, worrying about Seunghyun and marveling about her own son's growing maturity.

Jiyong had come into the kitchen shortly and explained about Hyeyoon noona running away from home. Mrs. Kwon hadn't known what to think about that either. Hyeyoon and Seunghyun had both been under Mr. Choi's strict regiment at home, but she knew they were close to each other.

She had peeped into the living room as Jiyong went back, and her heart clenched painfully at the sight of the playful boy looking shattered on the couch. As she looked on, though, she was again struck with wonder at how close the two boys had become. Jiyong placed the cups of tea on the tea table and immediately reached out for Seunghyun. With Seunghyun's head cradled in his arms, he started murmuring softly in his ears. Seunghyun had not stopped shaking, but seemed visibly calmer. Mrs. Kwon knew that Seunghyun tried not to wear his emotions on his sleeves, something that he had probably inherited from his father, but Hyeyoon  had left him shattered.

She couldn't stay in the kitchen any longer, her mother's heart longing to take care of the darling child who had been her son's companion in every step for so long. She walked to the couch and laid her hand on his head.

"Seunghyun," she called, pulling him gently toward her. She was pleasantly surprised when he immediately let go of Jiyong and hugged her tight. She held on.

"Shh…It'll get better, darling," she said, rubbing circles on his back.

"…my mother… and then Hyeyoon noona…" Seunghyun mumbled into her shoulder.

"None of it is your fault, Seunghyun," Jiyong spoke up, sounding like this wasn't the first time he had said that. "Mother, tell him," he pleaded her.

"Seunghyun, anyone would be lucky to have you as her son," Mrs. Kwon told him gently, letting go to look at him. “I know I would,” she added.

Seunghyun’s eyes widened on hearing that, as if he hadn’t believed it to be true before he heard it from Mrs. Kwon. She smiled at him, trying to reassure.

“I told you!” Jiyong exclaimed. “And mother, I told him I would share you with him. That’s okay right?”

Mrs. Kwon knew they were probably too old to play such childish games, but Seunghyun looked like he needed the assurance. She did not hesitate before pulling him into another hug. “Of course, dear,” she said to Jiyong.

When she pulled apart again, Seunghyun had a faint smile on his face. “Shut up, Jiyong,” he said, although he couldn’t hide the pleased look on his face.

Mrs. Kwon got the feeling that the time for tears was momentarily over, so she got up from the couch briskly and said, “Alright boys, drink your tea before it gets cold.”

“Yeah,” she heard Jiyong say as she started to leave. “And then we’ll go upstairs and have a whole evening of GTA.“

“Absolutely not,” Mrs. Kwon interrupted. “You promised to clear the snow in front of the garage today, Jiyong, remember?”

“Mother!”

“Oh, and Seunghyun dear, as your first day as part of the Kwon household, you get a day off. Come get some cookies while you finish inspecting Jiyong at his job, o

Please log in to read the full chapter