5 - The First Liar

The Liar(s)

5 – THE FIRST LIAR

Writer’s POV

“I’m totally messed up today.” Yoona says to herself taking another gulp of her beer.

The music that can be heard doesn’t make her following the beat. She is there again, in the place where she thinks she can be a total herself, another Yoona.

Every night, it’s always this thing that she does, hanging out around the crowded night of Seoul. Going to the bar and another bar is her ultimate habit ever since… long ago.

Coming there, she tries to release all of her stress from being someone else in the day. She doesn’t like the spotlight yet she is receiving it from the people around her, her parents, her classmates, even people that she doesn’t even know.

So, why does she need to be someone else in the first place?

It’s really not her desire, of course it’s not. She is grown up by perhaps the strictest and most demanding parents in Korea. When she was 4 years old, her parents started sending her to learn how to play the piano and violin in the private music school. That, of course, consumed her free time that she couldn’t play with her friends in her neighborhood.

Well, her parents didn’t stop there to give their only daughter more problems. When Yoona finally entered the elementary school, she would think that she could get new friends and play with them in the school.

However, reality was too cruel for little Yoona as her parents decided to make her homeschooled instead. That’s not only it because this homeschool thing turned out to be the most exhaustive homeschool that she barely got the break. Her homeschool started at 7:00 am and then stopped at 12:00 pm. She then got an hour break for lunch. After that, the homeschool continued until 4:00 pm.

Finishing the homeschool was not the end because Yoona’s private piano and violin teachers would be already waiting for the girl to learn and practice until dinner time. This strict life went on and on until she finally got accepted into the SNU… with three different majors.

This lifestyle of Yoona resulted to her having no friends at all. But still, thanks to the perfect genes of her parents, she easily became popular in SNU for her look and brain.

After struggling so many years with that kind of lifestyle, she couldn’t help but to be relieved and happy to enter her college life. But the Goddess of Fortune was not on her side as she figured out that making friends is difficult.

Besides, her aura of being famous prevented her classmates to also make friends with her. Being very used to live this life in loneliness and without socializing, she decides not to bother and think about it. Every day in the college, she will wear a mask, an unseen mask.

Having friends or not, she had to show that she’s a very nice, kind, caring, and smart person because a tiny part of herself is still hunger for friends. She does hope that someday she’ll have her true friends. Moreover, both of her parents are some kind of important stakeholders of SNU.

So, even without being told by her parents, she assumed that she had to protect and keep the good image of her family.

And now, here she is, alone in this noisy bar filled with music and people having fun. Usually, she’ll dance along and have some talk with the strangers. She likes it because no one there knowing her. In case there are some of her college classmates, she believes that it’s hard to recognize her.

Well it’s true though, without her glasses and long straight black her, she is not your genius Yoona. In the night, she’ll take off the glasses, make her hair a little bit wavy and then color it with temporary hair-coloring spray, and wear this kind of fancy dress. This transformation doesn’t fail to signify her beauty. She’s a beautiful girl to begin with though.

However, she’s not legal. She’s still under age but thanks to the fake ID card that now she can enter every night club that she wants.

Tonight feels different for Yoona. She doesn’t feel like dancing or talking to the other visitors so she just goes and sits in the corner of this bar. She knows very well why she feels like this. It’s because what happened earlier today when she had a meeting with her sunbae.

While thinking about it… she is about to cry when someone appears in front of her.

“Im Yoona…”

Hyukjae’s POV

Why is it so hard to sleep tonight?

Aishhhh! Ok Hyukjae, try counting the sheep.

1, 2, 3, 4, … 35, 37, … 98, 99, … 151, 152, 153, … why did she look so sad?

Eh??? What? Damn, where am I before? Is it 135?

Arghhhhhhhhh!!!

I open my eyes again. Seriously, I can’t sleep at this rate. She is filling my head. She is taking over my attention. Gosh, Im Yoona, if only you know how much I love you.



Flashback starts.

“I’m sorry sunbae… can we talk tomorrow instead? Suddenly, I feel like I’m sick.”

She says something that shocks me. She is sick?! Really? What shall I do now?

I can’t say any words right now. I want to ask her something like what happen to her but then she stands up. She starts walking and leaves me alone on the bench. Yeah, she leaves me just like that.

Seriously, can’t I do something for her?

As I am thinking, suddenly I feel some raindrops on my face and my skin.

Is it raining? Gosh, it is really raining.

Without waiting any command, I then run to where Yoona is. She is still not that far and of course I run faster than her.

“Y-Yoona! Wait t-there!” I shout at her, asking her to wait for me.

Well, it doesn’t seem like I bring an umbrella to cover both us from the rain though. Who will predict that it is going to be raining when the sky is so bright before?!

She turns her head to find me running towards her.

“L-Let’s r-run t-together…” I actually blush when I say it. The rain is getting heavier and heavier.

She obediently nods and then I cover her head and mine with my jacket when I reach her. Yes, I use my jacket instead.

We run together and unfortunately, this place is kinda isolated from the other main buildings in SNU. I’m running with her, though it’s cold, though it’s raining, I really hope that it’s not going to end. I really hope that we can run together like this for some more time. I wish there will be no shelter so she will take shelter on me instead. I know it’s selfish.

“Ah… t-there is the s-sport hall, l-let’s take s-shelter at the s-sport h-hall’s terrace.” I blush and blush again. It feels like I am asking her to go to a date with me. Hyukjae, you better don’t see her face or you will faint because of embarrassment immediately.

Soon, we arrive at the terrace. I try to drain myself. I wipe the water from my clothes and from wherever I felt wet. Suddenly, I feel like someone is wiping my hair. There is no other person here beside Yoona and me right?

Can it be? Oh my God, is Yoona wiping my hair now? Really? I’m not dreaming right?

Oh my, I blush in happiness and embarrassment right now. I feel the heat from my head to toe. I am so speechless. I am enjoying this pleasure. Yoona is wiping my hair. That means she cares about me, doesn’t it? I’m so happy but I could die in embarrassment. Thinking about it, it feels like we are dating and I am fully aware that my cheeks must be so freaking red, I’m burnt! 

“Now you are drained already sunbae.” She talks to me. However, her tone is so flat actually.

“Neh, t-thank you Y-Yoona-sshi.” I manage to shyly say that. I hide my face so she can’t see how my face is so red probably.

“Sunbae, let’s drop the formality.” She responds, she is leaning her back onto the wall behind us. I am standing one or two steps away in front of her, observing the sky to assess when the rain is going to stop. Well, the rain just keeps getting heavier though.

“E-eh?” I reply.

“Aren’t you the one calling me informally before, when you were chasing me in the rain?” She explains.

“R-really?” I actually don’t remember about that.

“Whatever then, it’s up to you. Sorry.” She plainly replies.

“N-no need to a-apologize Y-Yoona-sshi, I m-mean Y-Yoona.”

I finally call her informally. I don’t know why but I think she is smiling now.

“B-by the w-way, you said you are s-sick b-before right?” I ask her when there’s a constant silence.

“Neh.” She replies shortly.

“S-so, are y-you feeling o-ok now?” I’m so curious to know.

“No, I’m not.”

I’m worried when I hear that. I want to ask even more when she continues.

“It can’t be healed sunbae. This sick can’t ever be healed.”

I can’t help but to turn my head to stare at her in confusion.

“It’s my heart sunbae. My heart is sick.”

She explains but it sounds so painful. Our eyes meet. Strangely, she is smiling while saying that sentence. Her smile is so sincere and warm that I can’t understand how can she smile like that when she is saying that she is hurting, when she is admitting that her heart is hurting?

“Y-Y-Yoona…” I call her name. I blush when I realize that it sounds so affectionate. I pause for a moment but she breaks the silence before I do.

“I’m ok sunbae. You don’t need to be worried.”

Then she smiles again. I hope the time stops now.

Flashback ends.


The vibration of my cell phone actually stops my flashback. I receive a text message. I open and read it thoroughly. I read it again as I still can’t believe what I just read.

WHAT?! Did I just read it correctly? I’m not dreaming again, aren’t I?! I can’t believe what I just read. I truly can’t believe it. Is it even possible to happen?

Yuri’s POV

“Ah… it’s so tiring.” I mumble.

“We’re almost done Yuri-yah…” Taeyeon replies.

It’s midnight already yet we’re still working on our assignment. We have been making it from the library today and then Taeyeon decided to finish it and stay over tonight at my place. Well, it’s a good thing actually. This way, we don’t waste our time. As I always said, sooner is better.

“Yuri, I wonder why an Economics student like you taking this course?”

Taeyeon asks me to break our silence. “Uhmmm, not sure, I just felt like taking it. Keke.” Of course I’m lying and thanks God she buys my lie.

“Ah I see.” She replies and then continues. “Tadaaaaaaa! It’s done.” Oh I’m so happy to hear that she just finished the assignment.

“Finally.” I mumble then we arrange our things before sleeping. In the middle of preparing my books for tomorrow’s classes, this girl, once again, forces me to lie.

“Yuri, what’s this? Is it your family photo album?”

Without waiting any second, I snatch the photo album from her hand. Luckily, she doesn’t open it yet.

“It’s nothing, keke.” I manage to reply. “Just… nothing really…” I continue on. “We better go to sleep now otherwise we’re going to be late. I have morning class tomorrow.” I try to convince her and she happily gives up.

“Yeah, me too… keke. Let’s go sleeping. Thank you for accommodating me tonight.” She says that and then lies her body onto the extra bed I had prepared.

“You are very welcome partner, kekeke.” I smile to her. I’m so relieved. She almost caught me. Gosh!

##########

A/N
I really appreciate your supports and comments. They are loved! This chapter actually just reveals about Yoona’s lie. She’s the first one. I'm sorry if it's a fail.

I'll try even better to make a longer and better one. Thank you once again.