12 - The Fourth Liar

The Liar(s)

12 – THE FOURTH LIAR
Posted Image


Writer’s POV



Flashback starts.

“Jessie… come here, look who is coming.” Mrs. Jung, Jessica’s grandmother, yells to her granddaughter.

Jessica quickly runs from her bedroom, she is playing around on her bed with her dolls and barbies when she hears her grandmother’s voice.

Once the 4 years old girl arrives at the living room, a smile is formed on her lips.

“Grandpa! Grandma!” Jessica screams in happiness, running to the visitors.

“Jessie, look at you, you are grown up more neh?” Mrs. Lee hugs this little Jessica and caresses her hair. She even lifts up the little girl and tightly supporting Jessica with her sleeve.

Jessica happily hugs back her so-called grandma and notices that actually, they’re not the only visitors. She realizes the presence of a boy who stands up behind Mr. Lee, clinging to Mr. Lee’s legs. Jessica stares down at the boy from above. The boy looks up, lifting his head and glances back at Jessica.

Feeling intimidated, Jessica blurts out shyly.

“What are you looking at?”

“Aniyo…” The little boy replies.

“Ahhh Jessie, it’s your first time meeting my grandson neh?” Mr. Lee speaks to end the awkwardness between the two.

Mrs. Lee then puts down Jessica back on the floor.

“Donghae-ah, go introduce yourself.” Mrs. Lee orders her grandson.

Then little Donghae comes forward, facing Mrs. Jung and Jessica.

“It’s my first time seeing Donghae too. Keke.” Mrs. Jung directly says before Donghae’s self-introduction.

“Annyeonghaseyo, Lee Donghae imnida.”

Donghae introduces himself and Jessica lifts her right hand for a handshake but unfortunately, Donghae doesn’t notice that as he is giving a 90 degrees bow instead.

Was born and living in America, Jessica has been used to the western style. Well, it’s true that her grandparents and parents keep teaching her Korean culture and she also can speak Korean, but some little things may be skipped by her.

As Donghae finishes the bow, he can see that Jessica’s right hand is still waiting for a handshake, hanging in the air.

Donghae then alternately look at his grandparents then to Mrs. Jung, all of them give him the sign to shake Jessica’s hand and he slowly does so.

Once he touches Jessica’s right hand with his own right hand, Jessica start introducing.

“Annyeong… my name is Jessica. It’s so nice meeting you.” Then Jessica smiles which is replied by a smile as well.

Flashback ends.


That would be the first encounter of Jessica and Donghae, it has been so many years ago. Thus… telling Yoona and Hyukaje that they don’t know each other is a complete lie.

Jessica and Donghae got introduced to each other when the latter was 5 years old. Their grandparents are best friends. Well, their grandfathers to be exact. Their grandfathers even started a business together and their IT company went well and they decided to expand their market into the states and therefore Jessica’s grandfather got to live in the states while Donghae’s grandfather took care the business in Asia.

This happened long before Jessica and Donghae were even born and this explains why Jessica raised in the states.

Being such a best-friends-forever and business-partner, every possible holiday, Donghae’s family will visit Jessica’s family in the states for a reunion and of course for a holiday.

Well, take a note that Donghae’s family only consisted Donghae and his grandparents. This happened because Donghae’s grandparents abandoned their one and only son who married a normal civilian woman. At that time, Donghae’s grandparents were expecting Donghae’s dad to marry a high-social-status woman.

However, realizing he needed a successor, Donghae’s grandfather took Donghae from his parents when he was 4 as his grandfather still has this grudge against his son.

And every year, it was not a surprise anymore if you see Donghae’s family in Jessica’s home or vice versa when Jessica’s family paid a visit to Korea.

It was always around summer or winter holiday when the two families decided to reunite. And, it was one particular night in the cold winter when something happened. It was actually Christmas Eve at that time, Jessica was 10 and Donghae was 11.

Donghae’s family currently visited Jessica’s family in America when a heartbreaking decision hit Jessica’s family. This decision really made a deep impact on both Jessica and Donghae.



Flashback starts.

“I’ve been trying to survive but it seems like you don’t care about our family anymore!!!” Jessica’s mother yells at Jessica’s father.

“So what if I don’t care?!!!” Jessica’s dad yelled back.

Unknown to them, a 10 years old girl has been overhearing the quarrel ever since the beginning.

“But you promise me you’ll change!!!” Jessica hears her mother’s voice again.

“Let say I forget the promise!” Jessica starts crying. She doesn’t want to hear her parents arguing.

“How can you say that?! You… I try my best to forgive you when I knew you were cheating on me many years ago but… but…” Jessica’s mother is crying as well. Her trembling voice explains everything.

“I’m sorry I can’t… I… I’m sorry…”

And after that response from her dad, only her mother crying voice that can be heard. Jessica is crying badly in front of her parents’ bedroom door. She is sitting on the floor and hugging her own knees. She’s feeling so cold too.

Suddenly, a blanket is put over her and it is Donghae who shows in front her. All night… Donghae comforts the poor girl.

The next day, the only thing that Jessica and Donghae discover is Jessica’s parents are going to divorce. That’s really painful for Jessica. After the divorce, Jessica keeps asking Donghae something and Donghae can’t answer that question because he doesn’t want to hurt Jessica. However, one day, he just answers it.

“Why oppa? Tell me why umma wants to divorce?” Jessica asks.

“I think that’s because your appa cheats on your umma. He has an affair.” Donghae confesses honestly.

“But I always hear appa telling umma that he loves her.” Jessica tries to argue.

“Maybe that’s only a lie, Sica-ah… I’m sorry.” Donghae is so sad to break Jessica’s heart.

Jessica can only cry when Donghae continues again.

“I think, there’s no true love in this world Sica-ah… There’s no such true love or everlasting love, people are lying, like my parents. They said they love me but then they let my grandparents took me from them for money. Money can buy my parents love. Shortly, they sold me.”

The little Donghae starts complaining about his life. He can’t help it. Despite trying to comfort Jessica, He then remembers his own experience.

“But I think… I think I love you oppa.” Jessica shyly confesses. “I mean, I like you and… we’ve been friends for long and I want it to last forever.”

That’s a silly and cheesy confession perhaps but actually that’s very honest.

“Eh? Really? That kind of love?” Donghae innocently asks.

“What kind of love?” Jessica asks back.

“Hmmm, never mind.” Donghae is confused to choose words for his reply. Silence is in the air again when Jessica speaks to end that awkward silence.

“So, can I love you?”

“Well, I think so, keke.” Donghae embarrassedly answers her.

“Thanks oppa.” Jessica speaks one more time.

“You are welcome, I promise you, I won’t ever let you cry again and I’ll protect you forever.” Donghae makes a promise to Jessica.

“Really?” Jessica asks again.

“Neh… keke.”

Flashback ends.


Sadly, that was their last sweet conversation. In accordance with Donghae's memory, they never met again after that until Jessica entered the SNU. As for Jessica, after that last romantic conversation, she saw Donghae once before the meeting in SNU, but she couldn't talk to him at that time.

Another note is Jessica’s dad then married his affair. In fact, even before he divorced with Jessica’s mother, he and his affair had started another life and they even already had a daughter, namely Krystal. Since Krystal is the younger one, all the love is freely given to her. Jessica’s mother, being really hurt, was just suddenly gone.

If Jessica can choose, then she’ll probably go with her mother instead of staying with her father and the new family.

This explains why Jessica lives alone in Korea when she moved about 3 years ago. Not that Jessica is jealous to Krystal, she just thought that everything is better if she lives alone.

As for Donghae, the facts that her parents sold him to his grandparents, Jessica’s parents were divorced, and then how Jessica’s mother left her just like that, make him really an anti-fan of love.

However, Jessica’s existence was the only exception for him. He liked the way Jessica loves him and that was the only love he could trust because he knew that his grandparents only wanted him to succeed their business.

So, to make it simple, Jessica was the source of his life, Jessica is the one soothing his doubtful life, until something broke this concept.

“Good morning Mr. Lee.”

His secretary greets him when he arrives at his office. He enters his large office room and his secretary follows him.

“I want you to cancel the board of directors meeting for today. Just tell them I’m sick or tell them I have an important exam or lecture. Arasso?’

Donghae governs his secretary.

“But sir… today’s meeting supposed to be a very important one.”

“Whatever, I want it cancelled. Done!” Donghae frowns.

“Yes. I’m sorry sir. I’ll inform them. Excuse me.” Then his secretary leaves.

The truth is, there’s a pounding inside his head. It’s really aching. He just can’t think with his logic right now. It’s just too burdensome to have a meeting with his condition being like this. Moreover, he was a little bit drunk from last night small party with Hyukjae and it just added the headache.

And oh yeah, he’s actually the owner and CEO of this recent famous IT company. Yes, he has become the successor at such young age. No one knows about it, even Lee Hyukjae, his bestfriend since he was 12. The real reason behind his class-skipping habit is actually this responsibility of being the CEO.

He and his parents never expect Donghae to be a successor at such young age but they can’t control it, moreover when Donghae’s grandparents suddenly died.

It was not too long after the divorce of Jessica's parent when a big economic crisis hit the world and made the IT company owned by Donghae’s grandparents succumbed and went bankrupt. Fortunately, the impact was still controllable for the company in USA since USA had strong economy stability.

Therefore, Jessica’s grandparents didn’t go bankrupt and the IT company there survived from the crisis.

Unfortunately, when you were under pressure, being threatened, and being greedy at the same time, you would suddenly forget everything.

This is what happened to Jessica’s grandfather. Knowing that he could survive, he was so happy and proud. However, when Donghae’s grandfather asked for help to resurrect their IT company in Korea, Jessica’s grandfather refused.

He was scared by the fact that the crisis was still threatening and therefore he shouldn’t consider helping Donghae’s grandfather. He was scared that if he helped Donghae’s grandfather, then he would go bankrupt as well. He became this selfish person and blind that he even forgot his own bestfriend.

At that moment, Jessica’s grandfather cut all the ties with Donghae’s grandfather.

Donghae’s grandmother then became sick and it was very complicated that she finally breathed out her last breath when Donghae was 12. Upon hearing that her wife had passed out, Donghae’s grandfather got a sudden heart attack and then died. It was so sudden that the cool Donghae couldn’t even shed his tears. He was stiffened.

However, he knew everything about the betrayal and fraud committed by Jessica’s grandfather. He’ll never forgive them he said to his heart. He promised to his grandfather that he’ll take back the pride.

Donghae was left with luxurious and elegance life resulted from his grandparents’ efforts for years. Even when the company went bankrupt, Donghae’s grandparents managed to provide Donghae with this kind of life from their savings. However, Donghae couldn’t start to resurrect the IT company again before he turned 17.

Besides, it was clear enough that Donghae’s grandfather didn’t wish his son to take over the company. However, as the new owner of the company, Donghae asked the lawyer to give the temporary responsibility to his father to slowly start up again the company from zero.

And that night, after the funeral, Donghae visited his parents. It’s the very first time he did that after being taken by his grandparents from them. He came there only to find how awful his parents’ condition at that moment. He didn’t and will never forgive them actually but he needed them so he took them to his mansion after such a long deliberation.

That particular night was the night when he met Hyukjae for the very first time as well. Hyukjae suddenly appeared out of nowhere. Donghae thought that Hyukjae probably his parents’ neighbor and forgot about the details on how they met.

Even with the money and prosperity left to him, Donghae still needed to start a modest life. Yeah, indeed he had to live normally. So, he changed his school from this particular expensive private school to a general public school where he met with Hyukjae once again there. They then became closer and closer as life went on.

Donghae didn’t really care about that though, he didn’t care if he should live his life modestly. In his brain, there was only one thing to do and that was to take revenge. So, even he needed to sacrifice some part of his wealthy life, he was willing to do that. Besides, it indeed required a lot of efforts and money as well to develop the company again.

Finally, when he turned 17 and was about to start his college life by entering the SNU, he officially took over his father’s role. Surprisingly, his achievement was truly remarkable. The company’s assets and profits increased every single day and just in about three or four years, the company has become a giant one in the industry.

However, he doesn’t like this kind of attention so he asked his lawyer to always use his father’s name as the CEO and so he is unnoticeable up until now as the real man behind this successful resurrection.

Hyukjae had become someone important to his life ever since. Hyukjae helped him a lot especially in college because Donghae couldn’t attend every single class or do the assignment. Hyukjae, without ever complaining and asking why, had always helped him and he was very grateful for having Hyukjae as his bestfriend. When his life was at the deepest down hours, Hyukjae was the one there to comfort him.

As of about Jessica, true, he forced himself to forget her. He hates everything related to that family and he swore that he might crush them in the future.

Actually, he loved the girl as well. It was maybe a typical puppy love but it was just pure and honest. He wanted the girl to know that he loved her but sadly, he was never able to tell her in the past. In the end, he won’t ever tell her as he has an unbearable grudge over Jessica’s family.

Therefore, in order to forget Jessica, he unconsciously built this dating-habit. He then became such a player and undeniably… a desirable bachelor. Without realizing it, he used this habit to erase Jessica from his mind.

His dating-habit was getting worse and worse and every single week he would date a different girl. Moreover, when he found out that Jessica attended SNU as well, this dating-habit reached its worst level. He knew that Jessica’s father is the president but he never expected to be in the same university, or even class, with Jessica. You can imagine how he wished he could destroy the father and the daughter at that time but he knew that he was still incapable. Donghae had actually warned himself that probably he just wanted to make Jessica jealous but then he didn’t care.

He fully understood that his life was full and filled with lies. There were so many lies here and there in his life that he couldn’t even imagine the way to repair his life. His life had been broken down by his lies.

However, that was the case until he met Yoona. He wasn’t sure why but he kinda saw a hope there when he saw the younger girl. That girl is just so attractive to his eyes so he thinks that Yoona might be the answer. Yoona had given him some light. Because of Yoona, Donghae had the courage to think that maybe it’s not too late to change everything and repair his life.

“Arghhhhh!”

He screams. Donghae is frustrated now. This problem he has with Yoona suddenly brings him down again. It makes him remembering again all of his pain from the past. He then realizes that he still has Hyukjae. Yeah, he still has someone to hold on. He is actually really guilty towards Hyukjae because he keeps too many secrets from him but then he can’t help it.

At least, he always believes that Hyukjae will never break their friendship like what Jessica’s grandfather did to his grandfather.

That’s why, he decides to go to SNU to meet Hyukjae. According to his mind, killing some time with Hyukjae is better than anything right now.

He doesn’t know that, his idea about everlasting friendship with Hyukjae will be destructed as well… SOON.

##########

A/N
This chapter only contains HaeSica's past... it's such a complicated one I think but I hope you understand HaeSica's situation now. Well, Jessica's version and lies will come soon. Thank you very much for the support, comment, reading my fanfiction. Really2 appreciate everything!!!