As Much Of A Jerk

Do Opposites Attract?

A/N: Words in blue are flashbacks for this chapter! This chapter came out to be longer than I expected, so enjoy! I know my writing skills aren't that great but please put up with me. I've been so busy lately >.>

Hyo Jin's POV

I stood on the lunch line, flipping through the pages of my Korean textbook, sounding out phrases. As the cafeteria had blown out into a full buzz, I looked up to see Eli, Hoon, Dong Ho, Kiseop, and my art partner walking into the cafeteria while Andy lagged behind and walked in after them. Seemingly drained of energy, I approached him to greet him.

"Hey!" His eyes trailed over to me for a mere second before he turned away and stood in the middle of the cafeteria, watching the rest of his friends take their seats. "Candy?" Pulling a lollipop out of my pocket, I cheerfully waved it in front of his face. Shooting me a look with his eyebrows furrowed together, he let out a sigh as he kept his eyes on his friends. Looking at what he was looking at, I saw the new girl taking a seat next to my art partner, Kibum (he was nice enough to correct me every time I got his name wrong). "Why don't you sit with them?"

"Why don't you mind your own business?" He shot back and I flinched at how sharp his words turned out to be. Smiling, I poked his face as he slapped my hand away. "What are you doing?"

"You seem to be in deep thought about something. And something that's not nice either." The way his mouth was twisted into a frown and his eyebrows were bunched together, I could tell that he was thinking of unsavory thoughts and had held a rancor to someone in particular. "It's not good to think of such negative thoughts. Being positive won't hurt and most certainly won't kill you, so think of positive thoughts!"

"And it most certainly wouldn't kill you to leave me alone." He sneered as he moved away from me. A weight fell onto my shoulder as I turned to see an arm draped around my shoulder and the childish grin the owner held.

"Don't mind him. He's a bum." He teased as his hand held onto my shoulder. "He's still the same bum he was years ago. That's why nobody likes him." Andy's shoulders tense up and I flinch unconsciously, facing Kibum.

"That's not true!" I argued, plastering a smile onto my face in hopes of not offending Kibum. "I've heard that a lot of girls in this school like him! In fact, one girl is so head over heels for him, she really wishes for a chance to be with him!" My mind wanders to the one of the three girls. One of them really liked him. Min... Seo? The smile leaves Kibum's face as he leans in closer to me and I inch away from him.

"Is the girl by chance... you?" My eyes widened and I push Kibum away from me unintentionally.

"Absolutely not! He's someone I want to get closer to. To befriend. I don't like him that kind of sense." I reason with Kibum as he breaks out into a smile again. I notice the new girl's arm trembling as she pulls the silver spoon out of the bowl of soup and close to . Tempted to ask why or what had happened, I was stopped by Kibum who had pulled me close to him.

"I'm so relieved." He answers as he pulls me into a back hug and my heart automatically thumps with surprise. My heart freezes as I try to pull myself away from him. It didn't feel right to be doing such intimate actions with him when he had a girlfriend and when we were even that close. Maybe it was a norm in Korea, but I wasn't used to it.

"Could you give me some space?" I ask, trying not to create any awkward void between us. My request was ignored as he continued to speak about the art project while staying in the position.

SCREECH.

 

AJ's POV

The sound of the metal chair scraping the white tiled flooring of the cafeteria silenced the room as I stood up rather angrily. The silence was rather scary, but my anger was greater than my fear of the silence the room provided me with. Under everyone's watchful eyes, my eyes meet Ha Eun's trembling body- catching her habit of biting her delicate pink lips. Her eyes were brimmed with tears as if she had been trying her best to hold them in all the while. Number One is seemingly frozen in his arm, curious to what I would do. Everyone is staring at us and I know they can sense the tension.

Just at the sight of the scene, my eyes travel to him and I lock eye contact with him as I advanced towards him. Ripping her from his arms, I held onto her- knowing that she was in need of balance. Number One seemed out of it and my hatred towards her was nothing compared to the one I felt for him. I knew the games he could play and the expense at which he would play at. Once she had regained her balance and collected her thoughts, I yanked the front of his shirt out of the cafeteria to find a quiet place where I could play all I wanted with him. 

If he wanted to play, I would play with him.

I'll play with him.

"Get off of me." His voice mocked me as he pushed my hands off of him as soon as we had reached the rooftop. Dusting his shirt off, he smirked at me. 

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" I hissed, pushing him against the wall besides the door leading back into the school. "Why the hell do you always have to hurt Ha Eun?" My hands were balled up with anger as I continued to keep my hold on him. "I've been holding this in for a long time. You promised to protect her. Did you not see how hurt she was back there?" I seethed.

"What's your point?" He asked casually, smiling. "I know you like Ha Eun. Are you upset that I won her over instead of you?"

"This jerk..." My face turned red from anger as his smile widened and he laughed.

"Don't worry." He continued, nonchalantly. 

"Shut up. I don't want to hear anything coming from you. Everything you say is just bullsh*t." I scowled. 

"Hear me out." Loosening my grip on him, he took over. With my back slammed against the same brick wall, he faced me- his face close to mine. 

"Get off of me!" Struggling against his grip, he tightened his grip.

"I'll let you have Ha Eun." I stopped fighting against him and met his eyes. With a smile on his face, a suspicion arouse within me, causing me to take this chance and push him away from me.

"Under what conditions?" I questioned, eying him cautiously, leaving my guard up.

"We've been friends for so long. Who's to say that we can't share her?" The way he turned her into an object caused me to fight back as I thrashed under his harsh hold.

"It's because she's not-"

"An object." He finished for me, with a smirk on his face. Sighing and dropping his arms to his side with the contempt look still on his face, I struggled to catch my breath from fighting back. Slipping his hands into the pockets of his pants he continued. "As expected. So hard to convince."

The rooftop became silent as we stood in silence, fighting each other with looks. It annoyed me that he had the upper hand at everything. In our arguments, in our fights, and most importantly: Ha Eun.

"I'll give her to you." My eyes widened as I heard the words slip from his mouth.

"What do you mean?" I asked, trying to confirm what I had just heard.

"What else could I mean?" He questioned, his eyes clouded with all sorts of conflicting emotions. "I'm giving Ha Eun to you."

"Why?" Desperately picking my guard back up, I stared into his eyes as his eyebrows furrowed together as if doubting his own words as well. With one blink, the emotions that were displayed in his eyes vanished.

"For what other reason could there be?" His voice is cold and rigid, mocking me. "Take it or leave it."

"What do you mean-" I questioned, clenching my hands into fists once again. Before I could even finish my question, he moves closer to me and places his right hand on my shoulder.

"If you and Ha Eun are too stupid to get it..." He pauses for a moment and the blood rushes to my head, pounding. With his mouth so close to my ear, I was afraid of the words that would leave his mouth and enter my ear. I anticipated it as much as I feared it. It was like a secret- a dangerous secret. A secret that would hurt and destruct.

Because Kibum was just that type of person.

Despite his personality of a player and a smooth talker, I knew there was more to him. He was the type to sugar coat lies and get away with it despite all the damage he's caused. 

His mouth opened and he finally said the words with enough impact to send the both of us; me and Ha Eun falling. 

 

"I'm sick and tired of her."

 

"What the hell are you talking about?!" I seethed as I desperately tried to pull myself out of my confused state. Grabbing onto his wrist to prevent him from leaving the rooftop, I made his face me as he seemed to be annoyed by my words. I admit I was acting stupid when I had all the answers laid out in front of me, but this was only because I was stupid for her. I could be the smartest person in the world, but I was an idiot for Ha Eun.

"I'm sick and tired of playing with her. That's it." A smirk crosses his face and I throw a punch at him, knocking him to the ground with the impact. As he arranges himself into a sitting position on the ground, he stares up at me and I hear a dry laugh coming from his mouth.

"What is wrong with you?" I hate to admit it, but my eyes were tearing up as I spoke to him. "You promised me that you'd take care of Ha Eun. That she wasn't going to be another one of your trophies. What happened? Tell me. What. Happened." I grabbed the collar of his shirt, making eye contact with him, wanting to find the answer I wanted to hear from him. Blood ran from his mouth and nose as he opened his mouth to speak.

"Jaeseop, you know the answer as much as I do. You knew from the very beginning what would happen." His voice comes out confident as ever as I'm tempted to punch him again, however the smirk was wiped off his face and his eyes relayed everything in all seriousness. I knew it was true. Ha Eun was so happy to be with him, I didn't want to be the one to ruin her happiness. I could only hope for the best and if it didn't work out- I hoped Ha Eun would come to me. However, even when things turned out this way, she still stuck to his side. "You broke your promise as well. You were supposed to protect her too. But you failed to. In other words, you're just as bad as I am."

As angry as I was at him, I was angry at myself as well. Trembling, I threw him onto the ground and pulled the door open, running down the stairs and about the school like a mad man. He was right. I hurt Ha Eun as well. Thinking that everything would lead up to her happiness was the idea I had fixated in my mind while keeping the truth buried underneath the idea. She was going to get hurt and I knew it. Kibum wasn't the type to change so quickly for someone. We both knew it and yet, we had left her in the dark.

I kept running until a familiar figure came into sight. I pulled to a stop as I saw her petite figure in the lonely halls, sullenly. Not noticing me as she was lost in her own thoughts that I knew must've been about him, I found myself backing away from her in silence. Trying to catch my breath and hold my tears back, I found myself walking about the fifth floor, which hardly harbors any students which would explain why the U-Kiss hangout was on the fifth floor. None of the classrooms up here were put to use.

Moving about the halls, I could hear a pitter patter of footsteps coming my way as I didn't even bother to glance at who it was. It was probably one of us anyways. My eyes were still brimmed with clear liquid as I continued down the hall. A small hand grabbed my arm, causing me to stop in my track.

"Andy." Blinking back the liquid in my eyes, I turned to look at Number One, out of breath and panting. "I've been looking for you all over the place!" Without opening my mouth, she continued. "You left your blazer back at the cafeteria. It's getting colder and colder these days, you might want to keep this around. Especially since school uniforms don't come cheap and are a bit of a hassle when ordering it." 

As she lectured me, she threw the navy blue blazer around my shoulders and stood there waiting for me to put my arms into my jacket. When I made no sign of movement (I was trying hard to hold the clear liquid in), she helped me put the blazer on, humming softly as if she was trying to calm my nerves. It was displayed in eyes, that I was upset. She was able to read it. One of the only people who was probably able to read it. I didn't like it. She was supposed to be someone I hated, someone I was supposed to show that I was truly the better one. Yet, I was showing my weakness right now in front of her. 

I found myself staring at her as she helped me with my blazer, remembering the feeling that made my heart flutter.

 

"Ha Eun."

I was standing before a girl, no older than fifteen. Her long strands of beautiful black hair still maintained its beauty even though the owner had been swinging in bitter cold. Despite all the winds that brushed past her, her hair was still beautiful and so was she. I wanted her to look up so I could admire her beauty. However, she refused to. I knew why.

"Ha Eun." I repeated, taking a step closer to her. "I've been looking for you all over the place." She took a step and got off the swings slowly, taking a few more steps away from the swing and away from me. Knowing she wasn't in the mood to play around, I threw her jacket over her shoulders, softly scolding her. "It's getting colder and colder these days, you might want to keep this around. Especially since the price of good jackets like these are getting more and more pricey. It's a hassle to go and buy a new one."

Leaving the jacket draped on her shoulders and not attempting to put it on properly, I took the initiative to help her, gently picking her arm up and slipping it into the sleeve. As I did so, I noticed Ha Eun staring at me and I stopped to give her a reassuring smile. Her usually warm and cheerful brown eyes were brimmed with tears and I was at a loss of words as I stared at her. Her quiet coughs were soon drowned out by her loud sobs as she leaned towards me, wrapping her thin arms around my body, her face buried in my chest as she cried. Patting the back of her head, I tried to soothe her. Her tears didn't stop.

 

"Andy? Andy." A small hand diverted my attention back to the present as I glanced at the owner, the clear liquid b my eyes once again. For Ha Eun, this was what I had become. Staring at Number One, I realized how she was staring back at me, concern written all over her face. It hit me like it had hit Ha Eun. She was genuinely concerned about me. Me. Now I understood why Ha Eun had pulled me into a hug then. She needed one. Just like I do now.

Pulling Number One into a hug, I knew my quiet tears had grown louder as I was breathing heavily from all the thoughts flooding my head. I had hurt her. I didn't deserve her; just like Kibum. I was every bit of a jerk to her as much as Kibum was. I was a hypocrite.

Just like Ha Eun, my tears didn't stop.

 

It wasn't until the last bell had rung when my tears had stopped and I was finally well enough to let go of Number One. I hadn't regained my senses yet and hopefully I never will. It would be too embarrassing if I still had any sense intact. I sat in an empty classroom with Number One right next to me, her own blazer dangling from my shoulders in an attempt to keep me warm. I was cold for some reason and I was still cold. I was staring at the ground for quite a bit of time as Number One stared at me. Just sitting in silence for five minutes, Number One stood up and I grabbed her arm out of instinct.

"Where are you going?" It wasn't any of business to know as I've kept her here with me long enough and possibly longer than she would've liked, but I didn't want to be alone. I've already shown her so much, I didn't want her to leave. As much as she was an enemy to me, I need her just as much. 

"I'm going to my locker to get a few things. I'll be back, don't worry." Despite trying to persuade me to let go of her, I refused to by not giving her any response. "I'll be back in five minutes. I promise." With that, my hand slipped from her arm and she disappeared from sight, leaving me to glance at the clock hanging on the wall every second for the next five minutes. 

Six minutes had passed and I felt even more depressed. Five minutes turned out to be six. It wouldn't be long before six turned into seven and seven eventually turned to fourteen and so on until the night passes. With a defeated sigh, I buried my face into my hands, questioning my sanity and stupidity for believing some I had hated.

Something enveloped me and my head shot up to see what it was. Number One stood in front of me, struggling with placing her jacket over my body. Staring at her, she continued to move about the room as she handed me a cup of hot chocolate. Pushing my backpack towards me, she bit her lip as if she had something to say.

"Say it." Feeling hesitant, she opened to say the words I never wanted to hear.

"I need to go." With a blank facial expression, I knew my eyes were giving away more than they should. "I have this- part time job and I need to go now. I promise, I'll be back in two hours!" I was feeling rather conflicted. I wanted her to stay, but I knew she had stayed long enough. She was obligated to stay with me or even comfort me. Who was I to stop her? We're supposed to be enemies or rivals in fact. Making up my mind, I waved my hand towards her.

"Just go."

"I'll be back in two hours. I swear!" She blurts out as she picks her backpack up and heads off. "I'll be back, so wait for me!" With that, she was gone and I sat here- knowing that she wouldn't come back. Leaning back against the metal chair, I found myself slowly drifting off to sleep.

 

It wasn't until the sunlight had hit my eyes when I woke up. Blinking a couple of times before realizing I wasn't in my bedroom, I took a glance around the room to remember what had last happened. It was embarrassing now that I had regained my senses and I closed my eyes, hitting my head out of frustration. Getting off of a couple of chairs set up to resemble a bed, I left the blanket messily hanging over the chairs. Yawning, I looked at the clock to see it was still early in the morning.

Catching a glimpse of the hot chocolate Number One had gotten me yesterday, I reached over to grab it, realizing it was warm. The blanket and the chairs suddenly hit my head as it dawned on me. Looking around the room, I found a figure in the very corner of it, fast asleep. Grabbing the mints off the desk where she'd left a new cup of hot chocolate on it, moments earlier- I popped it into my mouth getting rid of my bad breath once and for all. I wasn't going to wake her up with a bad breath and make a bigger fool out of myself. It was the last thing I wanted to do if I wanted to prove myself to be a formidable enemy.

Going back over to her about to wake her up, I noticed a green notebook next to her that resembled a diary. Taking the diary- like book I found check-lists. The most common thing on the checklist was; report to studio for vocal and dance lessons. As the dates came closer and closer to present day, the check list was filled with Andys such as:

Make him smile.

Befriend him.

Make him something nice, everybody needs a little something to make them happy!

Stay away from him, he needs some time alone. Today is the day.

Find out what he likes. Maybe that could cheer him up.

Keep new kid away from him, he makes him angry.

New kid is pretty nice to me, but seems pretty mean to him. I don't trust him, keep him away from Andy today.

Softened by her check lists, I carefully placed the book back next to her and picked the blanket up, covering her with the blanket. Getting her into a comfortable position, I pulled a chair next to her desk and stared at her.

She reminded me of myself back then. With Ha Eun, I would always look for things to do that would benefit her. If she had an argument with Kibum, I would keep him away until she felt better. If she wasn't happy, I would find ways to cheer her up. Staring at Number One now, a thought washed over me.

My fingers trailed over to the random strands of hair covering her face, pushing them aside.

Her fingers trailed over to my random strand of hair that was a mess, putting them back into place.

Speaking softly, I found myself remembering the words that slipped from .

 

"If only I could've fallen for you."

"If only I could've fallen for you."