Voice Message

Do Opposites Attract?

In The Cafeteria

Dong Ho nibbled on the ends of his broccoli, his eyes darting back and forth on the lunch table. There was evident tension between Kevin and AJ and he couldn't understand why. The other hyungs didn't seem to notice it as they continued to eat their own lunch, too absorbed in their food. And of course, there was Hoon who was absorbed in his plans to hit a club once the sun fell.

With such a cold atmosphere, Dong Ho couldn't eat his lunch in peace as his eyes landed on AJ, who seemed to be looking elsewhere. His eyes darted back to Kevin, who had proven himself no different than AJ. They were both out of it and weren't even paying attention to their lunch or anybody on the table. Following Kevin's gaze, he found his eyes land on her. Finding nothing too interesting about her, he turned to AJ to see what he was staring at.

It had only led him to the same person.

Lee Hyo Jin.

Turning back to his lunch, he sighed and miserably ate his lunch in silence as his eyes landed on Kevin once again to see that both AJ and Kevin were now looking at each other. Sensing that they were exchanging a few word through their eyes, AJ turned away and crossed his arms, casually leaning back on his chair. Dong Ho let his eyes stare at Kevin as he got up.

"I have to head to the office guys. See you later." Eli and Kiseop dismissed Kevin as they didn't notice the cold atmosphere. Sighing, Dong Ho picked at his rice as AJ stuck his arm out to grab a freshman that had happened to be walking past them.

"Y-yes?" Dong Ho could tell that his fellow classmate was nervous being in the presence of them. Especially AJ.

Without a word, AJ pulled the freshman's collar as that his head was right next to his mouth. Whispering something barely audiable, Dong Ho looked at him suspiciously while maintaining a cute and innocent look on his face. How else would've he have managed to get into this circle if he didn't have his way around things? Not to mention he was also in the Student Council. There was more to him than just a cute face.

AJ's mouth stopped moving and he dismissed the freshman. The poor freshman scurried off and Dong Ho forced a smile onto his face.

"Hyung, why were you talking to that freshman?" Dong Ho asked, acting casual. AJ smirked at Dong Ho and shrugged.

"No particular reason. You'll find out soon enough." AJ's eyebrow rose as Dong Ho munched on a broccoli. "Why do you seem so interested anyways? You never take interest in what I do."

"Well," Dong Ho stuffed some rice into his mouth. "That guy happens to be my classmate and I sit next to him. I wouldn't exactly be happy if you scared him off. You know how much I've wanted to become friends with people my age. You guys are leaving next year. And I kind of have to find new friends." He fibbed. 

He wasn't actually interested in making friends, but it seemed as if he had to. It was true when he'd mentioned that AJ and the others were leaving next year. They were graduating this year. Something that he would do soon enough. He finished his lunch in silence as the rest of them became distracted, goofing off with one another.

"I'm so sorry!" A loud voice sent the cafeteria into silence as everyone directed their attention to the freshman standing next to Hyo Jin with a terrified look written on his face.

"Ah- it's okay." Hyo Jin answered, hesitantly wiping at the water stains on her uniform. Trying to rush out of the cafeteria, the freshman gasped and pointed at her.

"Is that a hickey?" With the same loud voice, Hyo Jin's eyes widened and rubbed her neck, remembering the light amount of make up she'd used to cover it up. Sudden claps could be heard as the freshman's friends came to join them.

"Wow, Number One of the school has a hickey. And what does that say about her?" His friends snickered and Dong Ho furrowed his eyebrows together. Pulling a large but somewhat thin device from his pocket, he pressed a few buttons.

"Hmmm... I don't know. All I know is that she's probably been sleeping with someone." Another one of his friends commented, creating a huge scene. 

"Think whatever you want. I can't stop you from thinking it anyhow." Hyo Jin simply answers, pushing her books into her bag. "I'm going to say this once and only once. I haven't slept with anyone before." She states firmly.

"Oh, sure you haven't." The freshman scoffed. Hyo Jin simply shrugs at his harsh words.

"I haven't. If you actually understood what I said the first time, I haven't." Hyo Jin sighs and runs her fingers through her hair, making sure to the hickey is hidden by her hair. "Now, if you'll excuse me." Hyo Jin attempted to step past the freshmen to reach the doors leading out of the cafeteria as they stopped her. 

"Yeah, but your hickey tells us a different story." The freshman's friend sneers. Dong Ho blinks his eyes and turns back to his lunch, slightly sulking at the thought of his peers doing this to the new student. His eyes landed on AJ and he could tell that AJ was enjoying this. 

"Why are you guys so concerned over something on my neck? I appreciate your thoughts, but there's no need." Hyo Jin was fighting hard to be kind and polite as she was still new to this school and wasn't usually the type to tell people to screw off.

"I was just talking about this for the sake of the school. I'm sure this school doesn't need a dirt stain like you here. Why don't you go to another school and damage their reputation?" The harsh words took some time for Hyo Jin to comprehend as she had arrived in Korea just a month ago and she wasn't sure what to do.

"I'm sorry, but she's your senior and you're nothing but a freshman." A arm wrapped around her shoulder as she closed her eyes and stayed silent. "So please, watch your language. She's older than you. You should learn to be respectful. After all, it's people like her that bring up our reputation and people like you that bring us down." A soft and light voice refuted.

With a silent response, he continued. "And if you guys were truly concerned about the school's reputation, you wouldn't listen to others and harass people who are clearly better than you." Hyo Jin opened her eyes to see him standing next to her, with a smile on his face that said, "innocent" and "super nice". His voice passed off that way as well. With his seemingly angelic presence, the freshmen coward back and bow.

"Sorry. We're really sorry." They muttered. Hyo Jin, who was at a loss of words felt her wrist being tugged at as they walked towards the cafeteria door. At the same time, AJ stood by the cafeteria door, eying him as they walked out of the cafeteria.

"Wow, Kevin. Playing super hero?"

 

 

Student Council Conference Room...

"Listen AJ, I couldn't care less if you screwed around with the other girls. Just not Hyo Jin." Kevin spat out as soon as they were behind closed doors. AJ casually took a seat at the end of the meeting table as he watched Kevin.

"Why not? I want to screw around with her. And only her." His voice irritated Kevin and Kevin was a person who was rarely irritated. Or rather, he was never irritated. And AJ was just bringing out a new side of him. "Don't tell me you like her." Kevin's hands were balled into fists as he closed his eyes breathing heavily from irritation and anger. "Cause I won't let you have her."

"Listen, I've always supported you in whatever you've done. You skipped a lot of classes last year and I helped you clear it up. I can't see why you can't do me one favor. Is it that hard?" Kevin seethed, his body rigid with anger. "She just came from America. Can't you give her a break? Why are you even doing this?"

"Like you said, you've always supported me no matter what I did. That should be enough, shouldn't it? I wish you'd shut up and leave me alone. As friends, I don't see why she has to tear our friendship apart. Do you want U-Kiss to break apart?" AJ could tell that Kevin didn't want U-Kiss to lose the bond that tied them together. "If you don't want this friendship between all of us to be destroyed, don't meddle in my business."

"But Hyo Jin is also my business." Kevin scowls and AJ leans back into the chair. "Don't you think you're a selfish and spoiled brat? Hurting people just because you want Ha Eun to-"

"Shut up." AJ spits out. "Don't drag her into this."

"Why not?" Kevin shoots back and the tension between the two has become so thick that it was suffocating. "Isn't she the reason why you dwelled in your room for months? Or maybe even years? Isn't she the reason why you're like this? Listen she's already taken so-"

"Just be grateful you're the student president and mind your business." AJ manages to spit out before he stands up and heads towards the door.

"You know what AJ?" AJ was immediately spun around and was pushed against the wall as Kevin's hands held onto the collar of his uniform. Kevin wasn't just mad. He was furious. "Every time we get into a slight argument you bring this up. You helped me become the student president. If you're just going to rub it into my face, you know what?" 

"What?" AJ said, intentionally pissing Kevin off.

"I'll quit. I don't need nor do I want to be student president anymore. Go ahead and become president. I just want you to screw off of Hyo Jin." Kevin seethed, his fists digging into AJ's neck as his grip on the collar of his uniform tightened. At that very moment, Kevin could've sworn he hated AJ. Every bit of him. AJ had always taken first while he was always just second or now, third.

The school phone rang as neither of them moved, Kevin breathing heavy from his rash decision and anger. AJ was pushed up against the wall unable to move because of Kevin, who was now furious. (It was most definitely the first time.) When the phone had stopped ringing, it beeped three times to indicate that the person had left a voice message.

And it infuriated AJ when he figured out who'd sent the voice message. 

"Hey guys, miss me? I figured AJ would be the student pres, but if not it'll have to be Kevin. It's been a while since we last saw each other, I don't even know if I have your phone numbers anymore. I don't even need to tell you who I am right? Be prepared, cause we'll see each other soon enough." 

 

 

 

 

A/N: This chapter was super short! Sorry guys! I'll trying to update this story more. When Arranged Marriage to... is finished, (should be soon enough) this will become my main story and I promise I'll focus more of my time on this story. However, be warned that another story will come out when Arranged Marriage To... is finished. I'm hoping to have weekly updates for the story as I will pre-write all the chapters, so hopefully it will not interfere with the progress of this story.

And sorry, this chapter was like.... Long overdue. I don't have the time to edit this because this week has totally crushed me and I've lost a lot of my energy. But who do you think left this voice message?