Simple and Clear: Love

Do Opposites Attract?

Hyo Jin's POV

Arriving to class early again, I snuck another sticky note onto his locker, hoping that this time around, he would accept it. If not... well, there was always a tomorrow, right? Proceeding to take my seat and review my Korean notes (if I'm going to succeed in the Korean entertainment industry, I would need to know Korean well enough). No sooner had I pulled my notebook from my backpack, the chair next to mine squeaked as I looked up.

"You don't mind if I sit here, do you?" Shaking my head no, the petite girl took a seat next to me and curled a few strands of her hair behind her ear as she shot me a smile. "I'm new here and I find it a bit hard to adapt sometimes."

"Oh, it's okay. I've been here for a month and I'm still trying to adapt." I answer reassuringly. With the awkward atmosphere surrounding us, she cleared and attempted to fix the atmosphere.

"So," her eyes darted over to the name tag pinned to my jacket. "Hyo Jin, did you transfer schools or move away?"

"Ah- I moved away. I used to live in New York, but I decided to come here and study." And reach my dreams of becoming a singer. Smiling at her, I sent her question back towards her as she gave me a response, very similar to mine.

"I moved here from Quebec. I've been moving here and there in Quebec, which is why I can't really call any city my home just yet. I think in the very end, Seoul will be the place I'm most comfortable with." She answered thoughtfully. "I was born in Seoul after all."

"That's nice. So I take it that you know a bit of French then." Giving me a nod, she laughed a bit.

"You can say I understand a bit, but otherwise I'm not good at it." Taking a look around the classroom as other students starting to pile in, she turned back to me. "Is it me or is this class just... filled with boys?"

"Before you came along, I was the only girl in the class. Of course, I found it questionable, but Kevin said I had been placed in this class due to all the other full classrooms. So I guess you were also assigned to this class as there were no more space in the other classes." I answered as I shifted in my seat.

"Oh, well... I hope we can be good friends then!" She smiled. "I'm the shy type, but I guess being in a classroom full of boys with one other girl really does help me open up. I guess it's because we're both girls. That alone should carry some things we share in common!" Noticing how people were starting to shuffle into their assigned seats, she got up. "Well, I guess I'll talk to you later!"

Watching her walk away, I realized that I never learned what her name was.

 

Art Class...

"I want you guys to create your own dream house." A chubby teacher with red hair said as she took the liberty of writing it down on the board. As she moved from one side of the class to another, it was quite obvious from the silence that had greeted her that her students were watching the fat on her body move. Of course, this being the top class, the students made no effort in teasing or even mocking her. 

"Hey, miss!" A voice cut the through the silence of the classroom as the teacher turned around and raised an eyebrow at the student that had called her. Following her gaze, my eyes landed on one of the new students. "You're a beauty." With that, he stood up and walked past her as she stood there, flustered. "By the way, it's okay if I head down to the cafeteria right? I'm still feeling a bit hungry."

"Y-yes. Please hurry back. Otherwise class will proceed without you." The teacher said, dismissing him. Awfully surprised by how easily the new kid had gotten away with ditching or rather, skipping a part of class was astonishing. Not that I had any plans to follow in his suit as I have plans for having a brighter future than probably what he was hoping for (and with this teacher, Ms. Han I doubt would work as I'm a girl).

"Oh I wouldn't think of making a beauty such as yourself wait. Don't delay the class, I'm sure they would love to be able to stare at this beauty in front of the classroom." Sending her a wink, he left the classroom and Ms. Han was left with a slightly red face.

"Ahem, well moving on. For this project, we will be creating your dream house." Writing on the blackboard in front of us again, she cleared . "Of course, such construction would be hard alone as we will have to cut our time down this year to fit in an extra unit for painting." The classroom was filled with quite moans and paper crumbling as the class felt mildly upset from the extra art unit plus less time for the project labeled as the most interesting of the year. "I would like you all to work in partnerships of your very own choosing. As a way of apologizing for such time constraints."

The classroom started to buzz as soon as she had announced that partners would be free for their choosing. Taking a look around the room, I sighed as the seat next to mine was left empty. Kevin was once again, running around the school in preparation for the upcoming school festival. Did I admire him? I really did. I don't think I would've been able to handle the stress of dealing with such important events and school work at the same time. My eyes landed on Andy... or Adam- well, I should refer to him as Jaeseop I'm sure that this was his Korean name.

About to stand up and approach him, a bottle of orange juice popped up in front of my face as I followed the owner's hand up to meet his eyes. Surprised at the sudden gift from someone I wasn't too close with, I hesitated.

"It's okay. Just take it." With a smile, he took my hand and gave to me. "You know, I'm never wrong. But now that I look at you, I'm wrong. The teacher isn't the beauty here, but it's you. Stay beautiful." Sending me a wink, he shoved his hands into his pockets, leaving me bewildered. Taking a hesitant glance at the orange juice, I placed it aside, making a mental note to thank him for such a gift. Though I couldn't completely agree with him about me being a beauty, just hearing him say it was enough to make me smile.

 

AJ's POV

I sat there, waiting for an answer from her. But as always, he had always managed to make it back in time to ruin any decent conversation I was trying to have with her. Serving as a distraction, he handed her a bottle of chocolate milk and shot me a coy grin. Throwing me a tiny package of crackers, he turned to her.

"So, what did I miss?"

"We'll be making a dream house and we get to choose partners." She answered as she struggled to open her bottle of chocolate milk. About to lean forward and help her open her bottle of milk, he swiftly bent down and intentionally created as much skin ship as he could naturally in front of me. Opening the bottle easily, she broke out into a smile as he leaned forward.

"Do you think I can get a thank you kiss from my girlfriend?" Kissing him on the cheek, I looked away and felt my hands create two solid fists. "Moving on, about the partners... Would you like me to be yours?" I froze as I had never received an answer from my very own question. Like I had said, he had always managed to come back in time to ruin any moment I had with her.

"But I kind of promised... Well  I was thinking of working with AJ on this project." Frowning and turning to look at me and then back to him, her eyes wandered off and lit up. Excusing herself for a moment, I watched as she headed to the front of the classroom and stopped just- right at Number One's desk. Before I knew it, Number One was by my desk with her.

"One of you guys can work with Hyo Jin!" She declared happily, curling her arm around Number One's. "Hyo Jin still doesn't have a partner. I suppose one of you guys can figure it out and work with her! Or I could work with her." She added thoughtfully.

"Since you've already decided to work with AJ, I think I'll work with Hyo Jin." Slipping an arm over her shoulders, he cocked his head to the side and made eye contact with me. "After all, I don't mind sharing with my friends. I'll lend Ha Eun to you for this project. How about it?"

She's not an object you, idiot. If she wasn't standing in front of us right now, I'd throw a punch at your cocky little face. You lucky bastard.

"Rather than lending, I think Ha Eun has enough rights to say she wanted to work with me. In other words, I don't need you to share. I wouldn't want you to get to jealous, right?" I shot back as I stiffened in my chair. 

Laughing, he stepped away from her and smirked. "I'm not the jealous type. Unlike you, I don't like to possess and suffocate my girl. You know me, I'm cool with anything."

"So you say." I muttered darkly. "Your actions seem to differ from your words." Ignoring my words, he turned to Number One and then casually draped his arm around her shoulder.

"It seems as if we're partners for this project. I actually don't mind working with someone as beautiful as you." As he complimented Number One, I noticed how Ha Eun had stiffened just a bit. Noticing how her eyes averted from him to her shoes, I felt my heart drop and my anger arise.

"Ha Eun, since you're new I think I'll show you around as my art partner. Let's go." Ha Eun shot me a surprised look as she closed the cap to her chocolate milk.

"Now? I mean, class is still in session."

"It's alright. You're a new student here and I'm one of the top students. As long as we don't cause too much trouble, we'll be fine." Hesitant at first, Ha Eun tossed a look towards her distracted boyfriend. Standing up, she pushed her chair in and followed me out of the classroom as the art teacher turned around and was preoccupied by the chalkboard.

"So, how have you been?" Ha Eun asked as we made our way up the stairs. A typical, yet awkward conversation starter. Though I don't blame her, after all we had separated on an awkward note.

"I've been... fine. What I really want to know is how you've been." The door to the rooftop today, was closed. Pushing the door open easily, a soft breeze came and played with her hair. How I wish I could be the wind. "Has he been treating you right?"

"He's fine." Ha Eun answered and I could tell that she was lying. It was always like this. Whenever she had been asked about him, she would always lie and say that everything was fine.

"Ha Eun-"

"Jaeseop-ah, we talked about this before. He treats me just fine." She stated firmly, turning her attention to the view on the rooftop. Everything looked so small up there that it felt peaceful. As if you were thousands of miles apart from other people.

"Don't you feel as if this relationship you're having is one sided?" I asked bitterly, thinking about my relationship with her.

"No, I'm sure he loves me. It's just that- he might not be able to express it as well as others do." Ha Eun answered. I could tell she was hesitant and unsure if he had really felt the same way.

"Don't tell me you didn't see what happened between him and Num- Hyo Jin back there." I blurted out irrationally. "He flirted right in front of you. Do you still think it's okay?"

"It's fine. He's just used to talking to them like that- everything will be fine."

"Do you know what I hate about you?" I spit out angrily. "It's how you pretend everything is fine when you know it isn't. How you respond to my every question with a simple 'fine'. I care about you, but all you're doing is pushing me away from you!"

"I know you care about me, but this is between him and me." She answered, furrowing her eyebrows.

"Do you remember what you guys first promised me when I found out you two were dating?" Her eyes become distant as if she has traveled back in time.

"I remember..."

"How many years has it been since the promise? Three? No. Four years. Look at him now. Has he changed? No. He hasn't. He broke his promise and so did you. Don't you think it's time for you two to stop?"

"I can't." Ha Eun muttered. "No matter how hard I try, I just keep going back to him. It's almost like me trying to fly, but because of gravity, I always go back to him. I know we made a promise, but I'm not ready to give up just yet. Give me more time and I'll do what I promised. I just need a bit more time."

Of course the sight of her and her watery brown eyes were enough to convince me and I turned away from her gaze. Why does it seem as though time had moved on without me? It's been years and she was still my weak spot and I hated myself for it.

"Fine, but don't expect any more time after this." I answered, immediately turning to leave. Without another word, I felt my heart ache and my head pound from my contradicting thoughts. 

I was stupid for giving her more time and hurting myself. I was nice to even consider her feelings. Though I had many thoughts running through my mind, there was one thing etched in my mind loud and clear, in which I myself, could not deny.

I love her.

 

A/N: I'm updating this story a lot more than I'm used to, but it's because lately, I've been more inspired to write with this type of school setting. I don't know why. >.< As for my other stories, I really need help getting inspired. Ughhh.... Especially for the 'Sound of the Fallen Leaves'. Well, enjoy~