Who Are You?

Flicker

Later that night, as he was lying in bed, Kai whispered, to no-one in particular although he was hoping Kyungsoo could hear him, “You know, I’m not really interested in playing the game anyway.”

Kyungsoo did hear him. He almost growled. “Don’t try and fool me with that old trick.”

“Huh? What old trick?” Kai asked, tilting his head one side cutely, feigning confusion. When Kyungsoo didn’t reply, he rolled over on to his side – he was sure he was facing away from Kyungsoo – and yawned loudly. “Anyway, I’m going to sleep.”

His plan worked. He felt the bed dip slightly when an invisible weight pushed down on it next to him. He immediately put his hand out and grabbed… nothing. He grabbed at the air with both hands, evidently frustrated. Kyungsoo chuckled, amused at Kai’s actions. “Did you really think I was that stupid? You can only feel me when I want you to.”

It was Kai’s turn to growl then. “If that’s the case, then how am I expected to bite you and win the game?”

Kyungsoo shrugged, though Kai couldn’t see him to it. “Get on my good side.” Kai turned back around and closed his eyes, abnormally comfortable with the thought of Kyungsoo sleeping next to him – if he did in fact sleep.

 

Kyungsoo was still there when he woke up the next morning. “Good morning Jonginnie~”

“Jonginnie?” Kai repeated, utterly bemused at this strange term of affection.

“Oh, by the way, if you don’t bite me by midnight tomorrow, you’ll die. That’s how the game works. I think I forgot to tell you before…”

Momentarily forgetting his parents were sleeping in the room directly below his, Kai raised his voice considerably. “What? I’ll die? Thanks for warning me!”

Kyungsoo didn’t seem to grasp the concept of sarcasm. “You’re welcome, my Jonginnie~”

Again with the stupid nickname. “I’m not-“He stopped himself from saying “yours” when he remembered that he needed to stay on his good side. In an instant, Kyungsoo was gone – only he didn’t know that until he noticed that Kyungsoo had stopped talking.

 

Time passed by slowly that day – painfully slowly. So slowly it might as well have stood still. For some reason he just wanted to get home and be with Kyungsoo; maybe it had something to do with the fact that he was going to die in less than 48 hours if he didn’t bite the stupid kid. He was sure though, that it was something else. He just liked the feeling of being around him, even though he couldn’t see him.

 

When he returned to his family’s mansion he couldn’t find Kyungsoo at all. Something else was strange: Kai’s parents weren’t busy working. Instead, they had gathered together in the lounge, waiting for Kai to greet them. He cautiously sat down opposite them, eyeing them nervously.

After a few moments of uncomfortable silence, his mother spoke. “Why did you lie?”

Lie? Had they found out he wasn’t really studying the other night? “Your headmaster told us.” His father said, confusing him even more.

Kai sat in awkward silence, not understanding what was going on and not daring to question his parents, as they walked over to him a hugged him for the first time since he could remember. He jerked away suddenly and ran up to his room, hoping to find Kyungsoo there, waiting for him.

“Kyungsoo? Are you there?” No response. “I was wondering if you wanted to come out with me.”

That stole his attention and provoked a response. “Out? Where to?”

“I want to go shopping to buy things for my room. I figured since you kind of live here too you might want to come with me.”

Kyungsoo agreed to go and said, “Maybe you won’t die tomorrow after all.” When he said that Kai wondered if he knew this was just a ploy to get on his good side – or was it?

 

They only ended up buying a couple of rugs, but Kyungsoo seemed happy all the same. He chose a round purple rug and Kai chose a rectangular blue one. Kai was sure he looked crazy holding up different rugs to the seemingly empty air and asking it to choose one, but if that’s what he had to do to stay alive then so be it.

Afterwards, he showed his invisible companion to a restaurant but Kyungsoo told whispered in his ear that he couldn’t eat. Shrugging it off, Kai ordered his own food and allowed Kyungsoo – who practically begged – to feed him. They had to cut their meal – or Kai’s meal – short when the other customers started noticing the floating chopsticks depositing noodles into Kai’s mouth.

 

It was late when they got back so – without knowing where Kyungsoo was – Kai retreated to his room. Kyungsoo was with him and Kai noticed that when the rugs started flying around the room, dropping themselves in different places before settling. He had unintentionally forgotten all about his ploy to get on Kyungsoo’s good side and involuntarily began to wonder if Kyungsoo thought they’d just been on a date. He shook his head vigorously as if to shake himself free of those thoughts.

Kai sat on his bed and asked to the empty air, “Who are you, anyway?”

The bed dipped beside him. “I told you, my name is Kyungsoo.”

“I mean-“ What are you? His brain silently finished.

As if he read his thoughts, Kyungsoo said “I didn’t want to tell you everything because I didn’t want to scare you away.” It’s a bit late for that, Kai thought, but didn’t voice it. “I died. I’m a ghost. I’m sorry. You probably hate me now so I’ll just go.”

The mattress sprung back up, indicating that he’d left the bed. “Wait. I don’t hate you.”

Kyungsoo turned around to face him but stayed silent, anticipating what Kai had to say. “Where are you?” Was what he had to say. Kyungsoo was in no mood to play the game. “I don’t want to bite you. I just want to be able to touch you.”

Kai felt the air around him shift slightly. A hand touched his, and true to his word, he didn’t bite him. A second later, lips were on his own. Why didn’t he mind?