The Flicker Of The Flame

Flicker

Kyungsoo and Kai had been dating for a few months (after Kyungsoo’s resurrection) and Kai wasn’t sure he could keep his boyfriend’s death a secret from him any longer. So what did that idiot do? He told him.

While Kyungsoo was at his house one evening, sitting beside him on his bed, Kai said, “Doesn’t any of this feel familiar to you?”

“No. Why would it?” Kyungsoo shook his head, obviously confused.

Ok, here we go. “You’ve been here before.” Kai looked him directly in the eye, taking his hand gently. “I knew about you following me because, well… you yourself told me.”

“Do I… Do I have amnesia?”

“No, no. It’s nothing like that, it’s…” He took a deep breath. “You died.”

“What?” Clearly that’s not the answer Kyungsoo was expecting.

Somehow, Kai managed to remain calm. “You died and you haunted this house. We dated for a while before you were resurrected…” He didn’t get to finish.

Kyungsoo cut him off with a sudden eruption of laughter. “You really expect me to believe that?”

Kai looked down at his feet and played with his hands. “No… I just thought…”

“What? You thought you could impress me by saying that?” His tone was angry now.

“That’s not it… It’s the truth… That’s all I can say…”

Pathetic.” And with that, he left.

Kai was alone once again. He couldn’t do anything about it. He felt so weak.

 

The gravestone.

 

Candle, matches, and bouquet of roses in hand, Kai made his way to the cemetery. He knew the path to Kyungsoo’s grave well, so it took him no time at all to find it among the sea of battered headstones. Still, there were no flowers in front of it. It was as if no one cared; it was as if no one missed him – no one except Kai.

He placed the roses in front of the gravestone, taking his time to carefully trace the inscription on it with his fingers. Then he lit the candle and set it down beside the flowers.

The flame began to flicker.

 “Kyungsoo, I miss you. Please come back. I don’t want to live without you.”

“I’m sorry.” A voice startled him, and a pair of arms s around his waist. “I’m sorry I didn’t believe you.”

“It’s ok. I don’t know what I expected when I told you…”

The flame flickered again.

“Do you know what you said?” Kai asked, before continuing without waiting for an answer he didn’t want. “You said you’d love me when you were alive, and even next time you die.”

“It’s true, I promise.”