Blank

Flicker

He decided not to mention what happened in the library to his parents for two reasons: one was that his parents probably wouldn’t believe him, or they’d get him to see a doctor or something; the other was that if they did believe him they might move again – Kai didn’t want that, he loved a good mystery novel and this was the perfect time to actually live a mystery novel. 

So the second he finished eating, he practically begged his parents to let him go upstairs. “Going to bed so early, son?” His father interrogated him.

“Umm… No, I need to study.” That was the perfect excuse. He ran up to his room and dived onto his bed, outstretched arms sliding under one of the pillows and emerging again holding the book.

 Kai took a moment to admire the cover, though it was nothing special – it was just a black leather cover; there weren’t even any words on it. He ran his fingers along it before flipping to the inside cover. Nothing. He turned the page again and got the same result. He flipped through the pages and discovered they were all blank. This has to mean something…

A scrap of paper fell out from one of the middle pages. Kai inspected it cautiously.

Hello Jongin. Come to play?

To say Kai was shocked would be an understatement. How the Hell could this be happening? Whoever or whatever was there, it knew Kai’s name.

Overcome with curiosity, he tore off a piece of his own notebook and scribbled a note.

That depends. What’s the game?

He left the note on his bed and was about to go back to the library when he realised he’d lied to his parents. He didn’t want to chance getting caught so he crossed the room and entered the bathroom. He turned the tap on and started running his bath, constantly checking the temperature of the water until he was satisfied. The bath itself was enormous, and circular just like his bed.

Kai began to his shirt, exposing his tanned caramel skin. Once all of his clothes were off his body and had been tossed aside, he slid gracefully into the bath, glad of the warmth.

A large mirror hung on the wall opposite him, decorated with various shells. Kai had to admit the decorators had really gone all out on this house. Steam rose from the bathwater and clung to the shiny reflective surface. Unfortunately for Kai, he had just started to relax when shapes began appearing on the steam covered mirror.

Hello Kai. Remember me?

He forced himself to respond. “Who- Who are you?” He stammered. Another note appeared on the mirror.

My name is Kyungsoo.

Kai had always been taught to be especially polite when meeting new people – even though he had a hunch that Kyungsoo wasn’t exactly ‘people’. Nevertheless, he had to be polite. “Hello Kyungsoo.”

I’m gaining power, Kai. I’ll be with you soon.

With me? “Can you see me?”

Yes. You look lovely, by the way.

Kai slid further under the bubbles in the water, hiding his form. Blood rushed to his cheeks. “Th- Thank you.” He reached for a towel and held it up around him as he rose from the bath, shielding himself from Kyungsoo’s eyes, no matter where they might have been.

Don’t be so shy.

He didn’t know how to respond to that. He left the bathroom and took out a pair of pyjamas from the wardrobe. He realised that Kyungsoo had probably already seen him , and he’d have to let go of the towel at some point in the near future. He never knew when Kyungsoo was there, anyway. Sighing, he slowly let go of the towel and changed into his pyjamas.

Suddenly feeling tired, he brushed his teeth – without glancing at the mirror – and clambered into bed. As he was doing so, he heard the scrap of paper he’d left there earlier rustle. He turned his note over to find another one on the back.

The game is called ‘Bite Jongin.’  Wanna play?