Let The Game Commence

Flicker

The game started at midnight that night. Kai had (rather foolishly) dismissed Kyungsoo's note, which he fell asleep holding tightly in his balled fist, in his sleep deprived state. He jolted awake when he felt a sharp jab of pain in his neck. He reached up to massage the wound, only to find his hand covered in blood when he looked back at it.

Feeling warmth radiate from the person beside him, he turned his head to discover there was no person beside him. Regardless, warm breath touched his neck just below the wound. He visibly stiffened when a set of teeth made its way to the part that had been heated by breath. He felt the jaws clamp shut on his flesh, drawing blood yet again. A tongue flicked out to taste it. Kai suddenly remembered the note Kyungsoo had left him, and assumed that the breath and the teeth and the tongue and the invisible warmth beside his had to belong to Kyungsoo, and that the biting had to be part of the game – perhaps the only element of the game. For the first time, he heard Kyungsoo speak. It was a whisper that sent shudders down Kai’s spine – “Jongin-ah, you taste so good.”

When he felt a hand slide underneath his shirt and gently yet somehow simultaneously roughly caress his skin, alarm bells started ringing in Kai’s head. What the Hell was going on? Surely he was going to do something to stop Kyungsoo, whatever he was! He couldn’t just lay there! Abort mission! Abort! Hashtag panic attack!

Before he had time to respond to those alarm bells, he jerked awake a second time. This time however, his shirt had been pulled up, revealing the milky flesh of his stomach. The note in his hand, he noticed, had been taken away and replaced with another.

Looks like I won the game. Now it’s time for you to play ‘Bite Kyungsoo.’ Good luck – God knows you’ll need it.

He leapt out of bed and ran into the bathroom. The bite marks were there. They didn’t look easy to cover up with make-up, and they weren’t. After he had cleaned the blood off his throat – the tiny droplets that Kyungsoo hadn’t off – Kai managed to cover up the worst of the marks with make-up, but he couldn’t hide all of it. For once he hoped he’d become invisible to his parents, like he often did. The servants wouldn’t be a problem – they wouldn’t dare challenge him. As he was getting dressed, he noticed scratch marks on his stomach. What the Hell did Kyungsoo do to him?

 He was up and dressed before Mr Lee had arrived to wake him up, so in his extra time he turned his attention back to Kyungsoo’s latest note. All I have to do is find him and bite him like he bit me. Easy, right? Wrong. In fact, he couldn’t have been more wrong. Well, he got the rules right, but easy? No way. How could he possibly find someone that he couldn’t see?

 

All thoughts of Kyungsoo and his note and what had happened the previous night were banished to the dark corners of Kai’s mind while he was at school, secretly wishing he could get home and find Kyungsoo. At least, he tried not to think of him until third period: Sport. This meant he had to get changed in front of other guys, meaning they would see the scratch marks on his stomach.

At the end of the lesson, just when he was beginning to think his secret was safe, the truth hit him like a ton of bricks – or would that be a tonne? His teacher asked him to stay behind at the end. He took Kai to one side and asked if everything was alright at home. Kai insisted everything was fine but the teacher kept prying until he brought up the fact that he would be late for his next class.

As soon as he got home, Kai raced up the stairs to his room to see if Kyungsoo was still there. Well, he couldn’t see if he was still there but you know what I mean. He rushed towards the direction of every sound his ears detected; it was no use, Kyungsoo simply wasn’t there. He began to wonder if Kyungsoo stayed in his room all the time, or if he had another place to go to.

 

Dinner time (which was supposed to be a pleasant time to interact with the family) was extremely frustrating for Kai. That was the time that Kyungsoo decided to let his location be known to him, and – in the presence of his parents – had to ignore that fact.

The first thing that Kyungsoo did to make Kai aware of his presence was rub himself against Kai’s legs underneath the table. What is he, a cat? Kai scoffed silently to himself. He did his best to kick the other away, but that only made him rub against him harder.

Once he got bored of that he crawled out from under the table and, standing behind Kai, s his arms around his neck, his cheeks with his thumbs and resting his head on top of Kai’s.

Kai certainly did not need this. Kyungsoo was taunting him, knowing he couldn’t respond. In any other (well, not any other) situation he would have taken the opportunity to win the game. But not there; he couldn’t do it there. He was going to have to wait to claim his victory.