Unromantic

Subtle Love

 

                “I hate you! Get lost Oh Sehun!” Luhan threw his deer plushie at his platinum-haired younger boyfriend. Uh oh, this must be serious. A: Luhan has never called Sehun by his full name ever since they started dating. Sehun goes by tons of names, Sehunnie, Hunnie, Hunnie-bear, Sweetie, Honey-pie, Daddy (no one wants to know why Luhan calls him that) but Luhan never uses his full name. And B: Luhan never says he hates Sehun. Like, never.

                Oh Sehun has really screwed up this time.

                Except he doesn’t even know where he went wrong.

                “Luhan! Baby!” Sehun pleaded, running after Luhan with the deer plushie in his arms as he chased after his lavender-haired lover. “Don’t do this to me! What did I do wrong?”

                “I’m not talking to you! Go ask Chanyeol what you did wrong!”

                “Er, baby, you just told me to ask Chanyeol, so technically, you talked to me.” Sehun tried to smile as sweetly as possible while batting his eyelashes but Luhan threw another one of Kris’s plushie at him.

                “GO!!!”

                “Okay baby, whatever you say sweetheart.” Sehun scooted over to where Chanyeol was standing in the kitchen, eating a banana. “Luhan told me to ask you what I did wrong.”

                “Oh, how shall I start?” Chanyeol smirked. “Would you like them by alphabetical, by date, by location?”

                For a short moment, Sehun stared at his hyung intently, did he really screw up that bad? But then Chanyeol’s eye did that twitching thing and he slapped his hyung’s arm. “Be serious you idiot!”

                “Gee, don’t need to be so violent. I don’t know what you did wrong.”

                “TELL HIM WHAT YOU DID WHEN YOU WERE IN THE PHILIPPINES!!!” Luhan managed to holler from the next room.

                “Oh, in the Philippines? I proposed to Baekkie on stage.” Chanyeol grinned proudly. “To which he accepted.”

                “Yeah, I know that.” Sehun scratched his head. If he was confused before, he was even more confused now. So what does Chanyeol proposing to Baekhyun have anything to do with him? He was there, he saw them, played with them, kicked them a little, what’s so bad about that?

                “Er…Lulu baby, you’re gonna have to be a bit more specific. I don’t get it.”

                “Chanyeol proposed to Baekhyun and Baekhyun accepted.” Luhan growled. “And what did you do?”

                “Er, watched them?”

                Luhan threw another plushie at him. “No you idiot! When I proposed to you in Philippines, what did you do then?”

                “Erm…heh…” Sehun dipped his head. Last year, when Luhan proposed to Sehun, instead of accepting the rose, Kai grabbed the rose away from Luhan and handed it to Sehun, and the two maknaes ran away laughing, to which Luhan chased after them yelling “Get back here!!!”

                “How dare you do that?! Can’t you see that I was giving my heart to you at that time?! And you have never proposed to me! Even Kai proposed to Kyungsoo!”

                “But that shouldn’t count! We were playing charades on China Love Song Concert! And Kyungsoo didn’t accept it!”

                “But at least he didn’t take the rose and ran away laughing with Kai chasing after him going ‘Come back!’” Luhan threw another plushie at him.

                “You are so unromantic. Where has the spark in our relationship gone? Are you getting bored of me?”

                “Luhan, don’t be ridiculous! You know I still love you!”

                “Well you certainly don’t show it!” Luhan threw another plushie and stormed off. Sehun stood there dumbfounded, all the plushies falling to the ground. He can’t believe Luhan just stormed out. And all because of a silly proposal?! And he thought he was unromantic?!

                Sehun walked off in a huff. Chanyeol, who saw the whole thing with his own eyes, sighed deeply. Perhaps he better talk to the maknae.

                Kris walked out and eyed all the fallen plushies. “What are all my plushies doing on the floor?”

                “Luhan just used them as bullets. If this goes on, the fans are gonna have to start sending guided missiles as gifts.” Chanyeol sighed as he walked away with Kris looking at him with a very puzzled expression.

                                                                                ********

                The next day Luhan didn’t really want to talk to Sehun either. He hated how unromantic his lover was. Unlike Chanyeol. He was the biggest and most extravagant romantic ever. He proposed to Baekhyun in front of the crowd and once for Baekhyun’s birthday he actually redecorated Baekhyun’s room with lights and candles and millions of roses.

                Even Kris, the eternal -face, never hesitated to shower his panda boyfriend with kisses and hugs. If Kris won a game or a match, the first one he would hug is Tao. He would buy him the world if it was on sale. If he was abroad by himself, he would send countless text messages and call non-stop. And what does Sehun do? Stay home and play PC games.

                Ever since he was young, Luhan had always wanted a fairytale relationship. The kind you read in books where the handsome young prince saves the damsel in distress atop a gorgeous white stallion. They would dance in the moonlight as the prince whispers sweet words of love and shower his princess with all the riches in the world. He would go out to slay dragons (or fight wars or whatever) but come home at night to his princess as they make sweet love all night.

                When Luhan first met Sehun, he was so certain he found his prince charming. Sehun definitely looked the part of a handsome young prince, but as time went on, he realized that his prince only looked like one. He certainly didn’t act like on. They only danced in the hot sweaty dance studio with 10 other guys and an instructor, Sehun texted words of love and he definitely did not save the princess. In fact Luhan had to save him several times. It appears Sehun is terrified of bugs and screams in terror when he sees one (you can imagine how embarrassing that must be for Luhan to watch his lover scream and run from their dressing room on shows).

                Sometimes he wondered why he even fell in love with Sehun in the first place. They had been in a relationship longer than everyone else, and they always say things like old couples lose interest in each other, and only after a couple of years then you realize how your other half is really like, blah blah blah.... When they were apart, Sehun called every day, saying he missed Luhan and how much he wanted them to be together again. Is this the fate of an old relationship?

                “Don’t you think you were a little hard on Sehun last night?” Yixing asked him.

                “I was not. He deserved it.” Luhan scowled.

                “You know, if you tried looking a little harder, you will see that Sehun is pretty romantic in his own way.”

                “Fat chance. That dimwit doesn’t have anything else on his mind except, food, games, and kicking Kai’s .”

                “Luhan I don’t think you know what romance really is.”

                “Then what is it?”

                Yixing shook his head. “Go figure it yourself. It’s simpler than you think.”

                Luhan was stubborn and didn’t want to believe what Lay said. That morning, Luhan sat down for breakfast with the rest of the gang. Sehun sat beside him but he ignored him. Kyungsoo handed Luhan his plate and Luhan frowned. Hmm…eggs and baked beans. He didn’t really like eggs, he preferred sausages, but he didn’t have any on his plate.

                “Here,” Sehun took Luhan’s plate and took the eggs. On his plate were 4 long sausages, which he gave all to Luhan. “Eat up.” He said, before digging into his own meal.

                Funny, Sehun did that every time Luhan had eggs for breakfast, but why was it only then Luhan started noticing? Luhan felt his heart skip a beat. He remembers that I like sausages?

                After that, he started opening his eyes to look at Sehun even more closely.

                That afternoon, EXO had a performance rehearsal. They were in the dressing room surrounded by gifts from fans, ranging from flowers to gift bags to food, when Sehun came in with a bouquet of roses.

                “Luhan,” he called in his sing-song voice, the one that Luhan loves so much. Luhan turned his head and dropped his jaw.

                “Wha…what’s this?”

                “Roses. A fan left them.” Luhan felt his heart lurched. For a minute there, he thought Sehun got them for him. He opened the card in the bouquet and it said:

Hwaiting hyung! Have a good rehearsal, and by the way, you look stunning as usual! XD

                                                                                                                Always in love with you,

                                                                                                                                Sehun

                “I’m your fan, Luhan. Your biggest one ever.” Sehun smiled and leaned in to give Luhan a kiss. A soft, lingering kiss that was gentle and sweet. Luhan felt his cheeks heat up. He hasn’t blushed so hard since the first time Sehun confessed and the first time Sehun saw him .

                During rehearsal, Luhan took a small break to watch Sehun and Kai practice some of their moves onstage. For the first time in a long while, he paid attention to everything Sehun was doing during the rehearsal. Normally, Luhan would have taken a cat nap, but today, he decided to watch Sehun.

                Sehun was so sleek with his dance moves, his hair looked so impeccably shiny and his body, so tall and sculpted. His eyes were so mesmerizing and his voice was so charming. And his lisp! Oh his lisp was super adorable. But why was it only now that Luhan had started noticing them? Or was it because he had forgotten about them long ago?

                Sehun danced halfway and made a heart motion for Luhan. The female staff members behind him giggled like mad and Luhan blushed again. This is ridiculous, why do I feel like a high school girl with her crush, Luhan thought, trying to shake his head and rub his cheeks to get rid of the blush.

                But he just couldn’t stop his heart from pumping like mad.

                That night, when EXO had long returned home, Luhan decided to go out again and drop his laptop off at the PC shop for reformatting. Thinking no one was really going to follow him out that late at night, Luhan decided he was going to walk alone when Sehun came after him.

                “Where are you going?”

                “Off to drop my laptop at the PC store. Wanna come?”

                “Yeah! Let’s go get bubble tea!” Sehun smiled, grabbing his cap and jacket. Luhan grinned internally. No matter how old his boyfriend got, there’s still that small part of him that loves bubble tea, just like a child.

                After dropping off the laptop and picking up Sehun’s bubble tea, Luhan was all ready to go back. But Sehun stopped him.

                “Let’s not go back so soon. You know how Kyungsoo is if I bring this home with me,” he pointed to the bubble tea container. Kyungsoo is a health freak as well, always reprimanding the other members on their diet, including bubble tea.

                “Where do you wanna go?”

                “Just walk, who knows? We can pick up a snack here.” He pointed to a local convenience store. The boys picked up a six-pack cola and some junk food, stuff Kyungsoo would never allow them to have.

                They were walking hand in hand, with Luhan’s ears plugged in to listen to music. Sehun tugged onto Luhan’s hand, signaling for him to stop as he bends down to tie his shoelaces. An incoming cyclist didn’t see Luhan and started charging towards him.

                “Watch out!” Sehun grabbed Luhan and pulled him against his body as the cyclist wheeled past in super speed. Luhan’s nose bumped into the crook of Sehun’s neck as Sehun tightened his grip around Luhan’s waist.

                Ba-bump-ba-bump…

                Luhan’s heart was beating wildly as he sniffed Sehun’s scent. Sehun heaved and looked down.

                “You okay?”

                “Yeah…” Luhan squeaked, looking up into Sehun’s eyes.

                Wow…his eyes are so pretty...

                Somehow, they ended up on top of an empty parking lot building. They sat at the edge, gulping down cola and burping like it’s no body’s business. The night is cool, the bright lights are pretty…hey, this actually is kind of romantic, Luhan thought. He burped his last cola burp and fell against Sehun’s chest, laughing contently. Sehun is really funny with his burps! He always makes me laugh!

                Wait, has he always made me laugh?

                “How do you feel?” Sehun asked.

                “Full,” he giggled. “But good. I feel good.”

                “Hey, I got an idea.” Sehun snapped his fingers. He broke off the metal ring off the cola can and got up. He got Luhan to stand up and suddenly, knelt down on one knee before him.

                “Luhan,” he started. “Isn’t this what you have always wanted?”

                Luhan stared at Sehun. Sehun is on one knee with a metal ring in his hand. He is actually proposing to him.

                “Luhan,” Sehun started again after no response came from Luhan. “I know that proposal thing wasn’t the smartest move I ever made, but that was a year ago. It’s a year later and I’m still here. How I feel for you has never changed. You are still the most beautiful human being on earth; you’re still the kindest, sweetest person I know. You’re still the only one to make my heart pound and still the only one who makes my life complete. I know I’m not perfect, but I’ll try to be. This is probably the cheapest proposal ever but I’ll try harder next time. As long as you say yes and stay with me, everything has a next time.”

                “Sehun…”

                “So, Luhan, will you accept my proposal? Be with me forever?”

                Luhan didn’t even wait for Sehun to give him the metal ring. He just jumped straight into his arms with tears rolling down his face. “Yes. Yes, yes, yes.”

                He did it! Sehun finally proposed to me!

                As Sehun leaned forward to kiss him, waves of emotion crashed onto Luhan that made him grip Sehun’s head and kiss him harder. So proposing on top of an empty parking lot building with a metal cola can ring and mouths smelling of cheap coke wasn’t exactly very romantic or extravagant, but so what?

                Sehun knew what he liked and disliked, he brought him roses and he took him for a night out on top of a building with a gorgeous view, saved him from a runaway cyclist, made him laugh like mad and still managed to make his heart pound.

                He will never be the prince charming of his dreams. He will always be afraid of bugs and they will never dance in the moonlight, but strangely, he’s fine with that.

                He doesn’t need Sehun to be romantic, because he didn’t fall in love with Prince Charming Sehun, he fell in love with just plain Oh Sehun. Who was really all he ever needed.

                Luhan was so glad he was wrong.

 

 

A/N: It's a total fail, I know...TT I tried...aish...

Here's some Hunhan to make it up to you!!

credits to tumblr for the gifs and pictures!!